Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Barnyard Protein posted:

If you find yourself not having fun while playing a video game, turn off the nintendo and go do something else for a while. Read a book or go outside and play

Why would you ever want to turn off Splatoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dizz posted:

kelp dome is the only option

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

The only bad map is actually Urchin Underpass

Gonna second this, although I think I've already said as much in the thread. Urchin is ridiculously easy to lock down. The only access to the zone (or disputed central area in turf war) is through a few very narrow chokepoints that are ridiculously easy for an entrenched team to lock down. That might work for some people, but I'm a fan of always being on the move. That's why I like two-zone maps in ranked, because you are forced to keep going back and forth in order to take or hold control, you can't just camp. Port Mackerel is probably my favorite for this reason, as the zones are far enough apart to keep everyone engaged and moving.

Saltspray is an odd case. For the most part it's easy to lock down, but sometimes you can sneak up the sides and surprise a sniper that's not paying attention. Or sometimes they are paying attention and you're screwed. I think it's a great turf war map though because of the little area at the bottom that you can contest if everyone's too focused on the top. If they'd put a second zone in that bottom area I think it would go from one of my least favorite zone maps to my favorite.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I really don't like the ranked mode as much, but is it a faster way to level from 10 to 20?

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
If you can semi-consistently win? Yes. Go on a losing streak of epic proportions? You go nowhere.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Assuming a 50% win rate, you get a little less than 900 points on average at C-. It goes up from there as you raise in ranks.

So, it depends on what you're averaging in Turf Wars, since losing by knockout in ranked gets you nothing. Also, there's fun to factor in. There's no need to grind your way to 20 doing a mode you don't like, just play whatever you want to.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Urchin Underpass is the most TF2 map design, its the Badlands of Splatoon.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I, personally, enjoy playing and have fun on all of the maps. Each of them have their upsides and downsides. You really just have to learn to adapt your playstyle. I play completely differently on Rig than I do Skatepark.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Onean posted:

Assuming a 50% win rate, you get a little less than 900 points on average at C-. It goes up from there as you raise in ranks.

So, it depends on what you're averaging in Turf Wars, since losing by knockout in ranked gets you nothing. Also, there's fun to factor in. There's no need to grind your way to 20 doing a mode you don't like, just play whatever you want to.

Ah, I'm avering 900-1000 on Turf, so I'll keep doing that and ruining Krak-On Roller's lives.

I still really like the Tentatek Splattershot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
http://imgur.com/a/iJwv9
Splatoon comic, no idea what it's about. Maybe it's just an ad about the game. Read from right to left.

Stay fresh~

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Puistokemisti posted:

Splatoon comic, no idea what it's about. Maybe it's just an ad about the game. Read from right to left.

It's a super cute and funny comic about the general basics of Splatoon.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Puistokemisti posted:

Stay fresh~

i wanna say im the hipster squid but he is being an unfresh gently caress by using the brush.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

The translated version has been floating around for a while now, if anyone's wondering: https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2015/05/18/corocoro-splatoon-manga-translated-full/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ElMaligno posted:

i wanna say im the hipster squid but he is being an unfresh gently caress by using the brush.

The ink brush is second only too the rapid blaster in terms of being a hipster weapon that you just don't get. The ink brush can actually be good though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

One of the more unfresh things about this game is the way Ranked lobbies clear out after every round. If you're on the winning team you leave because you might get matched with the losing players next round and if you lose you leave for the same reason, and everyone leaves because everyone else leaves knowing a new batch of awful players are going to show up and fill in the gaps the other leaving players left. I really hope once they figure out the cat/dog lobby matchmaking thing we can do Ranked with friends. I hope we don't have to wait for August for that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Onean posted:

Is there being a benefit of being at a higher level beyond 10 aside from the weapon unlocks? Like if you are completely happy with the weapon that you have, is there any real reason to grind?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite part of the inkbrush is when I'm using it and another is on my team I always BOOYAH and run off, and they do it in return

Results screen win or lose I'm in 1st or 2nd while they're in 4th with like 200 points in turf war. It kinda makes me glad people can't switch loadouts in lobby because god knows how many people would see someone do good with a certain weapon and try to copy-cat it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Astro7x posted:

Is there being a benefit of being at a higher level beyond 10 aside from the weapon unlocks? Like if you are completely happy with the weapon that you have, is there any real reason to grind?

Well, at level 20 - which is the maximum level, at least at this moment - you can ask Spyke to add an extra slot to your gear. Or change existing slots. That's about it at the moment. Enjoy the game!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Level 13 is when *** gear starts appearing in the shops.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I finally beat the campaign and unlocked the Gold Dynamo Roller. I'm so glad to have a roller with inkstrike!

...but the dynamo rollers are terrible :geno:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

The T posted:

I finally beat the campaign and unlocked the Gold Dynamo Roller. I'm so glad to have a roller with inkstrike!

...but the dynamo rollers are terrible :geno:

Don't use it like a roller, use it like a shotgun. It's got pretty good range on its splat.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The T posted:

dynamo rollers are terrible

you're wrong

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Dynamo rollers are probably the only weapon I'd consider borderline overpowered.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's ink flick is a one hit kill, that roller is so stupid

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It's ink flick is a one hit kill, that roller is so stupid

It's a one hit kill in a huge spread at a range of roughly ten thousand loving miles.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I feel very foolish for taking so long to realize you could use the trigger buttons to rapidly swap between the shops.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Christo posted:

Don't use it like a roller, use it like a shotgun. It's got pretty good range on its splat.

That's already how I use the roller though. In the time it takes the thing to come up and go down, I'm dead. It's SOOOO SLOW. If I'm lucky we'll double kill each other. If I'm not, I'm dead.

Meanwhile, 9 times out of 10 the regular roller is a one hit kill, and is fast enough that I can splash with it twice if it isn't.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lemming posted:

Dynamo rollers are probably the only weapon I'd consider borderline overpowered.

Dynamo rollers are good, but not this good.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

A tip for using Dynamos: Jump after you start the windup. It'll make you harder to hit, they can't really roll over you, and it makes your ink fly farther. Also, you have to be even more of a sneaky bastard with Dynamos than with normal rollers. Spend a lot of time hiding in your ink, and jump shooting at people. You should honestly not roll that often with a Dynamo, because it's slower than a regular roller, and takes forever to start up. It also empties your ink out very quickly.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Chicken jump firing only really works with motion controls on.
Also I hate it because its too amazing at what it does, especially with dynamo rollers.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Dynamo Roller is a Blaster with a sweetspot that's about twenty times wider.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lemming posted:

Lemming knows what they're talking about. The range of those is the same as most the splattershots and lower where you have a good chance to not miss. It's a bit stupid

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dizz posted:

To play Smash Bros?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't think there's an easy way to balance Dynamos, unless you want to just make it weaker but faster than a regular roller. The range is absolutely frightening on top of being an 1hko. Most of the time I'm usually trading kills with them using semi-autos or custom blaster. Having to counterpick jet/custom squelcher or a charger isn't ideal I feel.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I mean I really dont find the dynamo roller overpowered. You just gotta be faster than them and keep calm and you're fine.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You just gotta make sure to catch Dynamo Rollers at the right time. Most weapons will beat it out in a 1v1 scenario due to its huge windup. If you can force a D.Roller into squid mode you've won.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
God drat. I don't know how we did it, but Rollerz4Lyfe:

And the game after we did it again with three rollers and a Custom Splattershot.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

dogsicle posted:

The range is absolutely frightening on top of being an 1hko.

Boy is it!

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"

bumble posted:

Boy is it!

:eyepop: I don't like how that makes me feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

You just gotta make sure to catch Dynamo Rollers at the right time. Most weapons will beat it out in a 1v1 scenario due to its huge windup. If you can force a D.Roller into squid mode you've won.

This is all assuming you're using a short to mid range weapon:

You generally can't win 1v1 against them unless you can out range them, and their range is roughly the same or a bit more than the standard splatter shot. If you rush at them after they finish shooting, they'll usually be able to trade with you at worst if your timing is impeccable and you don't miss, and its generally not worth trying since if they're good they'll be jumping which makes them harder to hit. Their wind-up isn't actually that long, off hand I'd say a bit slower than the blaster, but those guys get less dangerous as you get closer, not more. Your best bet is to sneak up on them, but that applies to every gun, so whatever.

If two people were similarly skilled and one guy has a dynamo and the other guy has a gun that doesn't out range them, the dynamo should usually win.

• Locked thread