Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The fight is gonna be awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

I will still defend jon jones and say that him not fighting on zuffa's timetable doesn't make him a pussy human being afraid to face Glover Teixeira and it's pretty despicable to run to the media to extort him into changing his mind.

It was Chael, not Glover. Jones had every right to refuse to fight a mediocre middleweight who hadn't been training on short notice, and Zuffa had every right to call him a wuss for so doing.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Google Butt posted:

Connor is gonna die

I'm not sure how much weight to put into Jonas talking about how he relentlessly trash talked Aldo during sparring and Aldo went from losing his poo poo on the first day to being a stone-cold killer now, but if that's true then I need to see Conor try to bait Aldo again like right now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Google Butt posted:

Connor is gonna die

You mean he's gonna, uhhhh, vai morrer.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Street Horrrsing posted:

I will still defend jon jones

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

canoshiz posted:

drat he speaks better English than Tito Ortiz

after watching the video, i like that guy. also that he trains jose in trash talk damage resistance is loving awesome. "I can curse his mother now and he doesn't do anything :haw:"

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
drat I'm surprised Bilharinho hasn't debuted in UFC yet.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fatherdog posted:

It was Chael, not Glover. Jones had every right to refuse to fight a mediocre middleweight who hadn't been training on short notice, and Zuffa had every right to call him a wuss for so doing.

True, but ducking Rashad repeatedly by doing sit like claiming his thumb was injured and then miraculously healing in time to fight Machuda after Rashad gets booked does in fact make him a pussy rear end bitch or whatever you want to call him

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

fatherdog posted:

I was actually referring to Jones deferring the glover fight to attend his brother's wedding. In retrospect, it could totally have been about coke and hookers. Regardless, at the time, that wasn't public knowledge, and it would have been equally scummy to run to the media in order to pressure mighty mouse, ronda or weidman to fight.

Edit: or nate diaz

Street Horrrsing fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 23, 2015

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
A hard to understand point about something I don't remember, interesting. Remember the time he was in a drunken car crash involving a child? No, the other time.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Its wrong to call someone a wuss is something that adults tell five year olds

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Indeed a fighter's machismo is in no way correlated to his drawing ability. Good point bundt. Look at mexican boxers

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Believe me, I do

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

A hard to understand point about something I don't remember, interesting. Remember the time he was in a drunken car crash involving a child? No, the other time.

Lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm not sure how much weight to put into Jonas talking about how he relentlessly trash talked Aldo during sparring and Aldo went from losing his poo poo on the first day to being a stone-cold killer now, but if that's true then I need to see Conor try to bait Aldo again like right now.

Connor's game is all about getting people off their a game and he's done it really well to this point.

Also that Jonas dude is insanely talented. in the video where connor is throwing side kicks and keeps falling backwards shows his weight is wrong, he's too high on his support leg and he's not shifting his weight through the kick properly. In other words bad technique. That video of him shuffling up and down the wall is crazy. I've tried that drill it loving sucks.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

The Watch posted:

What's it like to go see a UFC event live? Are the cheaper seats going to make it too difficult to see what's going on in the cage?

As other people have mentioned, it depends on the venue a bit -- but even in the "bad" seats where you'll be watching the big screens as much as the ring, there's still something awesome about hearing thousands of people going apeshit over a big takedown or knockdown. It's really worth it if you can do it.

One nice thing lots of venues will do is show you general photo views from seats when purchasing tickets, based on the layout. Then you can often guess or will be told what layout the venue will be set up in. (For example some places will say it will be set up with basketball seating, where the octagon will be center court and the rest of the court is top shelf seating, then you can view seating photos in the basketball layout)

And yes the Fight Night @ Frank Erwin Center in Austin was a great example because even in the first large section of cheaper seats you were close enough to watch the octagon more than the big screens. You could hear the big hits and only needed to look to the screens when it went to the ground very close to the cage. Also there were some great prelims that night.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
This poll is from the UFC's website:

Holy poo poo, if the UFC feeds Paige VanZant to Joanna Raptor, I'm gonna be overwhelmed by the combination of tragedy and comedy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bean Fried posted:

Holy poo poo, if the UFC feeds Paige VanZant to Joanna Raptor, I'm gonna be overwhelmed by the combination of tragedy and comedy.

I might give those three a chance if they all get a baseball bat and make it a 3 on 1.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Bean Fried posted:

I like how the division is so god drat shallow there is a legitimate "Nobody" answer, haha. Try this at any other weight class, besides women'
s bantamweight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Meowbot posted:

I like how the division is so god drat shallow there is a legitimate "Nobody" answer, haha. Try this at any other weight class, besides women'
s bantamweight.

Flyweight

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Meowbot posted:

s bantamweight.

LHW with Jon Jones.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

canoshiz posted:

LHW with Jon Jones.
Not if "prison guard" is an option.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If Aldo was having his pal successfully trash talk him like that it's weird. Remember when you were a kid and you'd ask someone to make you angry and it'd never work because you knew what they were doing? I really doubt Aldo has some immunity to trash talk now if he didn't already, tbh this is the first thing that's made me think Conor is in his head.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Conor is gonna win and it's going to be spectacular listening to him talk poo poo about already being a legend for the next few months until he loses or whatever

So basically all the things he's been saying but with a belt on his shoulder - it's gonna rule

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

drat I'm surprised Bilharinho hasn't debuted in UFC yet.

Because he's not this world beating prospect that everyone's blowing their loads over.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

If Aldo was having his pal successfully trash talk him like that it's weird. Remember when you were a kid and you'd ask someone to make you angry and it'd never work because you knew what they were doing? I really doubt Aldo has some immunity to trash talk now if he didn't already, tbh this is the first thing that's made me think Conor is in his head.

Aldopoledance.gif

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Aldopoledance.gif

Haha goddamn, I forgot how great that is. Like I said before those embedded videos really made me like Aldo. I really want Conor to win, but I will feel remorse for aldo if he loses.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

quote:

Bilharinho, who speaks fluent English, has been making sure to mix in plenty of trash-talk with their sparring sessions. He tells Aldo that he’s got nothing, that he’s about to lose his title, all the usual stuff. And what has this taught him?

“Jose Aldo will not understand anything that (McGregor) says in there,” Bilharinho chuckled. “So that’s not going to matter.”

And about Amirkhani and his talk about getting hit only once in his fights. I mean i like the guy and have interviewed him numerous times, but this is his fight against american Adam Ward, where he got beaten up and where his reputation as a "wrestler/grappler without a striking originally came from"

https://youtu.be/X6WTG8D3DFo

And one happy Makwan story that i dont think reached american press during fight week was that he had been Training a "secret finishing technique" for the last 3 months but didnt want to reveal it to anybody. He wrote it down to a paper and gave it to the announcer so he could show it after the fight

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 23, 2015

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

I really like Conor McGregor and all his villainous hype, but watching an Aldo fight after a McGregor fight you really get the sense that Conor's about to lose. Probably by a knee to the face.

e: well, not his rear end kicked. but it would be wild if Conor won.

Cyber Dog fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 23, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

GRBass posted:

Because he's not this world beating prospect that everyone's blowing their loads over.

poo poo man, I don't think he looks like any world beater but I think he could definitely do some good work in the Featherweight division based on what I've seen of his fights.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the fact that Aldo has someone talking poo poo to him on purpose as part of his training means mcgregor is already in his head

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Then why bother with trash talking in training at all? It seems odd

Aldo/Mendes II was a great fight but not a great fight for a champion imo

e: A cool mini documentary type thing on Conor. He talks about his two losses which is pretty interesting

http://www.mtv.co.uk/mixed-martial-arts/videos/the-rise-of-conor-mcgregor

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 23, 2015

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ICHIBAHN posted:

the fact that Aldo has someone talking poo poo to him on purpose as part of his training means mcgregor is already in his head

Or he realizes that Conor talks in the cage and he wants to be prepared for it like any other aspect of the fight.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Carla Esparza needs shoulder surgery and will be out 6-8 months. The injury came from her destruction by Joanna champion, but she was hoping her shoulder only needed rest.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yeah i have a psychology degree from phoenixuniversityonline.com and am super worried for Aldo for this reason, after all Ben Henderson had his team trash talk him to prepare for the Nate Diaz fight and that was only the most dominant and decisive title defense of his career

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bean Fried posted:

I'm a big Joanna Champion fan and she's clearly an absolute beast, but for 38% of people to say that essentially no-one stands any chance of beating her whatsoever is pretty dumb.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Another reason Jon jones is the worlds strongest fighter. You can't force someone to train for you if they don't train.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah i have a psychology degree from phoenixuniversityonline.com and am super worried for Aldo for this reason, after all Ben Henderson had his team trash talk him to prepare for the Nate Diaz fight and that was only the most dominant and decisive title defense of his career
Jose Aldo is also Brazilian so it's in his DNA to throw a Wilson Fisk murder tantrum when someone tries to stunt on him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Will Romero/Machida make us all sad again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's a battle of poo poo vs piss, I'm not sure what to expect.

• Locked thread