Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I hope GMG send out codes early so I can pre-load...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did the DMC remaster end up fixing the gamr enough to warrent getting

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did the DMC remaster end up fixing the gamr enough to warrent getting

No.

It does really polish up the combat side of the turd but the remaining issues like "terrible bosses" and "constant, boring platforming" aren't fixed. Also despite your style meter in the revised mode being tooled to actually varying your tool sets and enemies respond more logically to weapons, it does not fix the fact that there really is 0 reason to use the angel weapons outside of utility abilities/rank because devil weapons still just flatout deal more damage.

Ranged weapons other than the shotgun are also still pointless beyond measure.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 21, 2015

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

a pizza box from japan is on its way...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I hope GMG send out codes early so I can pre-load...

I've been refreshing all day, feels like its 2008 all over again.

We should share our pro videos or something when it's out. Not a contest just a showcase or something.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Barudak posted:

it does not fix the fact that there really is 0 reason to use the angel weapons outside of utility abilities/rank because devil weapons still just flatout deal more damage.

Have they still not balanced that right?

I still find it amusing that the majority of the fixes are stuff that they said wasn't important, and then claimed that they were left out of the original release because they "never got the chance to" implement them.

At least they appear to have improved the final Vergil fight - holy poo poo what where they thinking about making a boss that couldn't perform a basic attack combo.
---

Did my bit for DMC4:SE - need that Trish/Lady/Vergil/Stylish action fix.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Green Man Gaming keys have gone out.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Trip report: I was expecting to be slogging through lady until I got to Trish but she's actually fun as balls and her attacks are incredibly meaty-feeling for being guns

Game is good, god I missed a good DMC game

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man I'm gonna play so much of this game again. Dmc4 edges out bayonetta as my fav action game of all time. Always loved Nero's move set even if it cramps the poo poo out of my hand with all the gun charging and max sword revving in long bloody palace runs.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
vergil............... he's fully sick

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
I am so, so glad that your proud souls are shared between all the different campaigns.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Pomp posted:

Green Man Gaming keys have gone out.

Do you know when/how to get the pre-order bonus codes? The page says it's supposed to come with the extra costumes but I only got a code for the game itself.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I wonder how long it's going to take me to get full S ranks for everyone from release...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I forgot this was out today.

So does Virgil/Trish/Lady get full campaign cutscenes or is it just like DMC3:SE where we get an intro, outro and that's it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

I forgot this was out today.

So does Virgil/Trish/Lady get full campaign cutscenes or is it just like DMC3:SE where we get an intro, outro and that's it.

The latter, it seems like. Mostly designed to show off their intended playstyles. (Trish does her usual stuff with throwing Sparda around, Lady blows poo poo up, Vergil teleports and ninja slashes while TAKING NO DAMAGE :smug:)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I only ever played dmc 1 and DmC Definitive, don't have my PS3 anymore so I couldn't try 2/3/4 and I hear the PC port of 3 is abhorrent. Really looking forward to playing this for the first time. How many missions do Dante/Nero have each?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Dante has 7, Nero has 13. Some of those are just a single boss fight.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
20 missions but it's not an even split.

Lady and Trish have the exact same campaign.

Vergil does all 20 missions himself.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

drat, only 7 for Dante? that's harsh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, it was a very big point of contention for most people since Dante's moveset was pimped to all hell, but you only had 7 missions to get used to him until it's back to Nero. The backtracking didn't help either.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

MinibarMatchman posted:

I've never felt that this game was too short and with the way you'll be constantly replaying levels to get higher scores, going to higher difficulties, or playing as other characters, it probably shouldn't be much longer.

Also there's the bloody palace which is a cool challenge arena mode that lets you play with any of the characters that will chew up a ton of your time. For the current price the game has tons of content

E: especially if you've never played it. I've bought it on 2 systems already and I'm happy to do it again at this price with all the new additions

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Vergil does all 20 missions himself.

That sounds right.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Rollie the Guar posted:

I am so, so glad that your proud souls are shared between all the different campaigns.

Thank gently caress

I had no idea that that was the case but hearing that has made my day

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I took about 30 minutes playing the second mission because I couldn't understand where to go, sometimes I wish only the encounters were timed.

Also, a question: do the "Orbs collected (x%)" refers to the orbs you gain from benches, trash cans etc., or is it the overall numbers of orbs gained while on this run through the level and you have to get to a threshold of some kind. Someone in the PS4 thread confirmed the latter, but I'm afraid I didn't word my question clearly, so just seeking confirmation. If it's the former, then that's a bummer.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 23, 2015

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Szurumbur posted:

I took about 30 minutes playing the second mission because I couldn't understand where to go, sometimes I wish only the encounters were timed.

Also, a question: do the "Orbs collected (x%)" refers to the orbs you gain from benches, trash cans etc., or is it the overall numbers of orbs gained while on this run through the level and you have to get to a threshold of some kind. Someone in the PS4 thread confirmed the latter, but I'm afraid I didn't word my question clearly, so just seeking confirmation. If it's the former, then that's a bummer.

Yeah, the former.

Orb % is from orbs that you collect inside containers, found sitting in the level, from red crystals, or from hidden spots.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I believe every red orb counts, but the max that the percentage is based on is calculated from the environmental orbs in the rooms you go into.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Brutakas posted:

Yeah, the former.

Orb % is from orbs that you collect inside containers, found sitting in the level, from red crystals, or from hidden spots.

notZaar posted:

I believe every red orb counts, but the max that the percentage is based on is calculated from the environmental orbs in the rooms you go into.

So I don't have to smash every container, but can destroy what's in the way and make up the difference with the orb from the enemies? Or is is only possibly to get an SSS ranking by meticulously clearing out the stages of benches and the like?

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I don't quite get that, sorry!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you're going for rank, the safest bet would be to smash everything. Just one more reason why I don't bother with end of level ranks.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Szurumbur posted:

So I don't have to smash every container, but can destroy what's in the way and make up the difference with the orb from the enemies? Or is is only possibly to get an SSS ranking by meticulously clearing out the stages of benches and the like?

You can still get S ranks with only an A rank for orbs(~70%) provided you have both S ranks for time and style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The orb scoring mechanic is really dumb. It's unfortunate that it is in the game but welp.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ImpAtom posted:

The orb scoring mechanic is really dumb. It's unfortunate that it is in the game but welp.

Wasn't there a mod for the old PC version that forced it to 100% or was that just for DMC3?
Edit: it's unlocked on steam. now I just need to wait for it to unpack everything, great.

Hel fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 23, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Brutakas posted:

You can still get S ranks with only an A rank for orbs(~70%) provided you have both S ranks for time and style.

Right but the question was about SSS ranking.
I would say that if you are really worried about those ranks, then you're probably the type of person who doesn't mind mindless tasks like smashing barrels for red orbs.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hel posted:

Wasn't there a mode for the old PC version that forced it to 100% or was that just for DMC3?
Edit: it's unlocked on steam. now I just need to wait for it to unpack everything, great.

:siren: :siren: :siren:
MOTIVATION UNDERWAY THIS IS NOT A DRILL
:siren: :siren: :siren:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Szurumbur posted:

it only calculates the percentage of orbs from rooms that you actually enter. So if you go to a stage but don't enter every possible room of that stage, so long as you break all the poo poo and find all the orbs in the rooms you actually do enter then it'll give you 100% orb completion at the end of the stage.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the answers! By the time I'd ever actually consider going for the S rank trophies I should know the stages well enough that the orbs found should become a minor gripe (I still think it's dumb, but oh well, it's there).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any tips to learn how to dodge well in DMC4? I think Bayonetta's easy mode dodge button has soften me quite a bit. Normal enemies never can land a hit but I almost died fighting the first boss as Virgil because I couldn't get the timing right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any tips to learn how to dodge well in DMC4? I think Bayonetta's easy mode dodge button has soften me quite a bit. Normal enemies never can land a hit but I almost died fighting the first boss as Virgil because I couldn't get the timing right.

Basically you've got to learn your invincibility frames. Even the simple act of jumping has invincibility frames and it's one of the best way to avoid attacks. Dante is probably the easiest since he DOES have a 'dodge button' mode with Trickster.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does Vergil not have his Dark Slayer tricks anymore? I haven't gotten a chance to play yet.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
He can trick forward and trick up but he can only trick back in DT. That said he can now trick omnidirectionally in DT as well without the need of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit the download messed up and forgot around 2GB of data. This dodgy, old-rear end SATA cable has gone too far; I can't even post this reply without my rig hitching every minute or so while trying to access my HD :negative:

Guess I'll get motivated after a good night's sleep...

• Locked thread