Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Gaspar Lewis posted:

DISCLAIMER: I don't want it to sound like I'm earnestly comparing the new solos to GHTunes. GHTunes was poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9-MTNrhNFY

What's a DOOM song creator doing in a guitar hero game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
The more I comments I read, the more I think they just botched the PR side of it. After 5 years from the last release and 2 years from any new content being released, I don't think anyone would have thought a sequel was a must. Instead of marketing a "Rock Band 3+1", why didn't they market a "Rock Band (witty title here)"? They knew they would have needed to gut it because of resources, why not work in reverse and instead of letting your base be disappointed because of the features you removed why not give the sense of a fresh new start with only added what you can afford? "Here comes Rock Band (witty title)! It's gonna be built from the ground up for the current generation consoles and it's gonna be our first independent developed title. We will be asking the community which features they think should be in, etc. etc." Then you do a nice tour of vidoegame magazines promoting your new indie studio image pushing your "we have limited resources but we want to give something to rock with on the current consoles, so we started from scratch and the only sure thing is that our trusted gameplay dynamic is in and that you will be able to play guitar, bass, drums and vocals, the rest will be added based on the resources we have" mantra. Push that narrative hard, make the case that to be free and independent you have sacrifices to make but you will try to incorporate as much aspects of the franchise as possible, etc.

Had they done that, they would have had an initial backlash that would have driven away the same amount of people that have decided right now not to bother anyway, but the rest of the base would have been primed for all good news from there on. Every feature you announce as "in" it's just more good news for the community. Instead they gave the impression that a pure sequel was being worked on, which means people expect possibly some minor features to be dropped but everythig else to be better, which is definitely not the case here.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Comes right down to it, we're just too savvy and/or spoiled by Rock Band 3, and graphics overhaul (while very impressive and appealing) and gameplay innovation (while incredibly intriguing and novel) means very little in the face of all that music floating all over the place on top of the lion's share of our libraries that by some miracle are being ported forward at little to no charge to us. Faced with differentiating what we already own from what we're being offered... the user-side value calculations look much different.
"Spoiled by RB3" is a good way of putting it. I can't even get excited about the content being ported over, since I'll always be nagged by the fact that those songs are better (keys!) in RB3. I'd trade every single element of the new "creative expression" features to have keys back. :(

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

I dreamed that I bought an XBONE just to play this game.

does it count as the same thing if you were going to sell your xbone but then the week that you were going to do that, this was announced and you figured you'd keep it around after all?

cause that's how it happened to me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr Zaius posted:

PS: I played this today and it was loving awesome.

Unpitched vocals, what the gently caress?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

farottone posted:

Here comes Rock Band (witty title)!

Rock Band Karaoke would been good, give them a chance to work on the base engine and polish it up, be able to safely ditch online play because it's only one instrument and the one least enjoyable online, and also be able to work out the licensing deals for all the old content so we will know what will be brought over and what won't for when they release the full band experience next year. Basically I see them buying time to really make a great game that doesn't cut out features but still have something on the market to gauge interest levels and keep people hyped and playing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

rock band but this time: saxaphone controller

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Allen Wren posted:

Unpitched vocals, what the gently caress?

Most customs authors are very bad at vocals and pro keys. This is one of the many stopgap measures they've invented as a result.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Babe Magnet posted:

rock band but this time: saxaphone controller

Rock Band: Recorder Edition

I don't think it actually counts as an instrument, mind you.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The rage that would have came out of a Rock Band Karaoke announcement... almost wish I could have seen it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I would be really happy with a karaoke-only Rock Band.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What makes Karaoke Rock Band different than just playing vocals only?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Functionally nothing, except with somethings like Lips (RIP) or SingStar (which weirdly enough I just found out pulled a lot of features/modes and got panned for it last year) you get more leeway with the genres and need for usable studio master recordings.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone actually enjoy the scoring / pitch part of the Rock Band games? Its more fun to do a bad impression of the singer then to try to match pitch.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vocals in Rock Band have always been incredibly lovely. Too much emphasis on perfect pitch and not enough on measuring the soul of your voice.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Functionally nothing, except with somethings like Lips (RIP) or SingStar (which weirdly enough I just found out pulled a lot of features/modes and got panned for it last year) you get more leeway with the genres and need for usable studio master recordings.

Yep, this is it. I wouldn't want it as a replacement for RB3/4 but it's something I'd love on its own.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
For the record, I was thinking something along the lines of "Rock Band: Back on The Road" or something, not a dramatic change of style.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Though I should say that going broad instead of deep means that you're never going to see, like, an X song or a Clash album cut in a singles-oriented big-tent just-singing game. It's a trade-off.

Though Lips, in its time, had a ton of stuff I'd have kicked myself for. I mean they're the people that made Elite Beat Agents, they knew what they were doing around music.

But really I guess the reason I forgot there was a SingStar game last year is because it got fuckin' annihilated.

P.S. "Rock Band Center Stage" would be a good title to complement Dance Central Spotlight. If anything else was taken out I'd call it "Rock Band Reunion Tour" or something.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Funky Valentine posted:

Vocals in Rock Band have always been incredibly lovely. Too much emphasis on perfect pitch and not enough on measuring the soul of your voice.

Nothing with a high score table can have soul.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo62ct4rOlU

Hey look, Freddie Wong is playing the new GH

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

pksage posted:

Most customs authors are very bad at vocals and pro keys. This is one of the many stopgap measures they've invented as a result.

Oh cool it won't take me forever to release songs anymore, knowing I can literally skip the instruments I don't play.
Coming this Friday: Revolver, full album pack (harmonies only)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Though Lips, in its time, had a ton of stuff I'd have kicked myself for.
I would give both my legs for a Dean Martin song pack.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

toymach1ne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo62ct4rOlU

Hey look, Freddie Wong is playing the new GH

Freddie is the best; he and sArmstr0ng were my Guitar Hero idols back when I was a lowly noob. :kiddo:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funky Valentine posted:

Its because pitch is really easy for computers to detect but style, strength or soul are really hard and take lots of testing and programming.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its because pitch is really easy for computers to detect but style, strength or soul are really hard and take lots of testing and programming.

If they can program awesomeness detection, they should be able to handle soul.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Vibrato Bonus! (Oh please God no.)

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Zaphod42 posted:

"Funky Valentine" posted:

But it's ok in Rocksmith because

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Orange Harrison posted:

But it's ok in Rocksmith because

What's okay in Rocksmith? Soul detection? Hell no.

Rocksmith does the same thing as Rock Band vocals, just pitch detection.

The problem is Rock Band is in "game" mode, so it punishes you for being off at ALL, and so you have to sing like an unnatural robot to try to match up. (The normal game is played with clicky buttons and so accuracy isn't as much a problem, but the game is still kinda frustrating in how it focuses on you doing perfect and you hear annoying notes if you mess up at all and you can hard fail out of a song)

Rocksmith however doesn't give as much of a poo poo about being a game. It just gives you poo poo-tons of slack. As long as you're playing notes that have vaguely the right frequency, you get credit. Try it, you can play rocksmith and strum at totally the wrong patterns, you can ignore things like palm muting completely, the game has no idea. There's no easy way to accurately detect that poo poo. So it just gives you the benefit of the doubt. They use frequency to detect where your fingers are and as long as that's about right, you get credit for "playing" the note, even if you don't. You can play the wrong fret and bend it up to the right pitch and the game won't know the difference.

Its a good thing that Rock Band is saying they're moving more towards a party karaoke focus and away from being a hardcore points-scoring game. Nobody likes to fail a song, most people just want to have a good time, they don't care about being perfect music robots.

And if anything loosing up the slack on accuracy allows people to have fun and improvise, like rock smith.

Also the voicing of an instrument like a guitar is clearer than the timber of a human voice, so its that much easier to detect.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 23, 2015

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Also the voicing of an instrument like a guitar is clearer than the timber of a human voice, so its that much easier to detect.

Yeah, seriously, that's maybe the most insane and unfair comparison in this thread so far. Aren't you professionally an audio engineer or something, Harrison?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Funky Valentine posted:

Exactly, there are many songs in Rock Band where you can sing exactly like the singer of the band and fail the song. I believe "El Scorcho" is one, and maybe "Maps" as well though I can't really remember. Pretty sure REM songs had the same problem, because Michael Stipe has never been a "good" singer in the traditional sense.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

precision posted:

Exactly, there are many songs in Rock Band where you can sing exactly like the singer of the band and fail the song. I believe "El Scorcho" is one, and maybe "Maps" as well though I can't really remember. Pretty sure REM songs had the same problem, because Michael Stipe has never been a "good" singer in the traditional sense.

God drat you Harmonix, do it to me every time.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

precision posted:

Early RB charts had far too much vocal rounding. "Jesus Christ Pose" is particularly awful in this regard.

When authoring, you can always just chop a tube off early and let people go nuts.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/16/guitar-hero-live-riffing-on-judas-priests-breaking-the-law

IGN shows off their mastery of the new Guitar Hero.

Also, is the music video in the background being stretched to 16:9? Disgusting.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The T posted:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/16/guitar-hero-live-riffing-on-judas-priests-breaking-the-law

There was nothing redeeming in that video. It was just complete sadness.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a good thing that Rock Band is saying they're moving more towards a party karaoke focus and away from being a hardcore points-scoring game. Nobody likes to fail a song, most people just want to have a good time, they don't care about being perfect music robots.

I disagree. Party karaoke is great when you have people over, but not everybody does that. When I'm playing solo, I try to beat my previous best score, or a friends score. The score challenges were one of my favorite parts of Rock Band Blitz where you had one shot at beating a friend's score

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I disagree. Party karaoke is great when you have people over, but not everybody does that. When I'm playing solo, I try to beat my previous best score, or a friends score. The score challenges were one of my favorite parts of Rock Band Blitz where you had one shot at beating a friend's score

Yeah, I shouldn't have said nobody. I do stand by "most people" preferring it this way, but yeah; score attack does appeal to some.

The T posted:

Jesus Christ. Whoever was playing that should never play ever again. Just put down the guitar in shame and leave.
Why would they upload that video? Like... you need to record a new one. Right away.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There's a nice balance for score people and other things. Even casual players will go about scores on a percentage base on how well they did.

No Fail being No Penalty was a brilliant move. I would think even for ScoreHero style obsession it's more on getting the high score rather than just 'passing' the song.

Are there any impressions on the creative 'freestyle' vocal gimmick being a way to allow less strictness on the scoring aspect? As a dude who sings a lot of girly songs not having to resort to falsetto because the score nerd in me cares would be awesome.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
...you know you could just move down an octave or two if you want, right? All the games before now didn't care which C you might be singing, so long as it was a C.

The new freestyle vocals mean that if the original singer is at C and the song is in C major (C-E-G) you'll be okay with any C or any E or any G since they're all in key with the melody. Singing a C fills your circle up with "blue" scoring and E or G with "red" improv scoring, but you'll get full points for the phrase with any mix of the two.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Well, I guess all I need now is a super cheap holiday season deal on an Xbone

I have a lot of the thread to go back and read up on, but since I am in the same boat here of just hoping for a good deal, I thought I would post this. Nothing official, but after sharing my concerns over how much it would cost to get in on RB4, my friend that manages the local GameStop pointed out that there are some memory upgrades due out shortly for the XBOne, so there may be at least a slight drop in price for the low memory XBOne consoles (which apparently fill memory at an insane rate) right around when the game comes out.

While that makes me a little hopeful that I can afford to upgrade in the near future, the memory drain has me concerned. Can you swap hard drives in the XBOne like in the 360?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You can't change Xbone hard drives but you can use external storage