Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Pro tip for retinues: Read this http://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/2lhyzv/optimum_retinue_calculations_in_2205. It's from last year but still up to date.

If you feel like tinkering with ratios and micromanaging your army mans down to each individual soldier, go ahead. Just keep in mind that unless you're going up against a player who is using the aforementioned retinue guide in multiplayer, your retinue composition isn't going to make or break many battles. If you are in a situation where you've got 10k worth of retinues kicking around to tweak to mathematical perfection it's likely you're a relatively large realm and your problems could be solved much easier by simply throwing more men at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DrSunshine posted:

They need to get working on an actual spherical world map for CK3, so that in 2018 we can play on the entire world circa 1066!

Say, dudes, do you remember my Sonendar fantasy mod?

Sonendar v.107 -- it's compatible to the latest patch! I'm still working on adding all the eight million billion provinces in Not-Africa. Also this is an early version that has all the complicated events and decisions and such stripped out, so it's basically just the default CK2 game on a different map with imaginary cultures and so on. Still, it's nice if you're tired of the old Eurasia map.

I like the new way to set the tech level of places.

Yesssss it's back schedule for the rest of the night is CLEARED

lmao it's 3:44am I didn't have a loving schedule beyond "dick around online"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
769 Ghana start is brutal.

Just mash poo poo until you can make kingdom of Mali then go whole hog on prestige buildings for as far as I can tell 150 years.

I hosed up by taking two counties from the Umayyads and they want it back but I did the gamey 99% lost so convert to attacker religion. V glad EVERYONE is west African so I can get murdered/ pick a good son.

Current guy has strong so that helps.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I think the addition of moddable trade routes could help make the map much interesting. It would also provide a good vector for spreading the plague. :kheldragar:

Yes please. I love your mod.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Excelzior posted:

You gain prestige, piety (if fighting infidels), and military tech for every battle fought. If you don't need to hold off factions, levies "not dead" are actually kind of a waste, since they regenerate on their own. Might as well send them off to die!

Ok, cool, thanks. Sending my peasants off to die was worthwhile then.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
So my fairly useless duke of Cornwall didn't get far. Thought I would do my brother a solid, setting him up with a nice Italian princess. Only after I sent the proposal did I notice she was a lustful glutton who was already pregnant and had an STD. Oops. My spymaster wife had fabricated claims on two counties in Wales, then I suddenly die at 50 of natural causes and I lose them.

The son is slightly less useless. Set up a betrothal to a nice French girl, and once I hit 16 I started a holy war against Jorvik for Wessex. Well, the other guy was involved in quelling an uprising at the time and his wife was imprisoned by the rebels. Marched up to York, captured the bugger in combat, yet despite 100 warscore he wouldn't surrender. Ransomed him back for 145 gold, but dropped my warscore down to 19. Suddenly I'm attacked by all his viking buddies and oh crap it's a massacre.

Married the French girl, gives me a claim on Toulouse which is safely out of the way of vikings. That brother (now uncle) was backing a plot to have his wife murdered. Normally I'd let that go, considering she came with a lot of vaginal baggage, but it was some lowborn nobody trying to kill a princess in my family, so I told him to knock it off.

Earlier on, dad had landed one of the bishops, gifting him Devon. Dumb newbie mistake as I should have kept both counties for myself. No problem, let's revoke that title and bring it back to the young duke. Sorry old man, especially as you tutored half the kids in the dynasty, but your time is over. Seems like the bishop's been a naughty boy, he's got a maidservant lover to help him keep tabs on his rivals, and caught a dose of the pox.

Well he didn't take losing his lands well. He revolted, and is currently laying siege to Tintagel and not a drat thing I can do about it.

Aaaaaand my step-mother the spymaster just caught my 16 year old newlywed French bride having an affair. And she caught the pox too.

So I'm involved in a holy war against half the world's vikings, my pox ridden bishop is leading an uprising against my castle, and my wife is a disease ridden whore who couldn't even wait to give me an heir before slutting around.

A++ game.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is the Japan mod for CKII decent?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
How many ways are there to die that get listed as "suspicious circumstances" when there was no assassination involved? The only one I've gotten was when my child ruler was climbing the castle and fell off.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
As far as I can remember, I'm yet to hear a proper explanation for why gavelkind works the way it does; I had eight counties, two duchies and a kingdom, and my heir got two counties, a duchy and the kingdom title obviously, but my secondary heir got the remaining six counties and the existing duchy title and had the other one created for him. This is nowhere near the most egregious example of gavelkind I've seen, why is it that the secondary bloke gets the lion's share of the real strength, if not the primary title itself?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shnooks posted:

Is the Japan mod for CKII decent?
Which one? The old Sengoku mod or Nova Monumenta Iaponiae Historica?
edit: i like the work they did with the protrait wih NMIH:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 24, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hadaka Apron posted:

How many ways are there to die that get listed as "suspicious circumstances" when there was no assassination involved? The only one I've gotten was when my child ruler was climbing the castle and fell off.

"Suspicious circumstances" means assassination always, as far as I know. You probably got whacked by someone you weren't suspecting. Sometimes AI characters just decide to kill someone for reasons that are hard to discern.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

"Suspicious circumstances" means assassination always, as far as I know. You probably got whacked by someone you weren't suspecting. Sometimes AI characters just decide to kill someone for reasons that are hard to discern.
It generally involves wifes/mothers with high intrigue murdering people to favor their husbands/sons or your spymaster getting killed before s/he can reveal a plot. There is some random CRAZY and/or PARANOID factor at works too.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Odobenidae posted:

Pro tip for retinues: Read this http://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/2lhyzv/optimum_retinue_calculations_in_2205. It's from last year but still up to date.

If you feel like tinkering with ratios and micromanaging your army mans down to each individual soldier, go ahead. Just keep in mind that unless you're going up against a player who is using the aforementioned retinue guide in multiplayer, your retinue composition isn't going to make or break many battles. If you are in a situation where you've got 10k worth of retinues kicking around to tweak to mathematical perfection it's likely you're a relatively large realm and your problems could be solved much easier by simply throwing more men at it.

This doesn't mention anything about the retinue buildings. If I'm not going to build my cultural retinue, should I build the building?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Clanpot Shake posted:

This doesn't mention anything about the retinue buildings. If I'm not going to build my cultural retinue, should I build the building?

More mans is always better.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Clanpot Shake posted:

These building can be very strong. The housecarl building gives a good bonus to heavy infantry attack. If you consider that heavy infantry will always make up the biggest share of castle troops (if you don't intentionally avoid the barracks upgrade), then this bonus is very good. On the other hand, the Ethiopian cultural building gives pure light infantry, the worst troop type. Build these only after you have build all other upgrades, because even a militia training ground is better since it gives you archers alongside the light infantry. Magyars and West Slavic cultures get light infantry + light infantry defense, which is also pretty bad.

So it all depends. The heavy infantry, longbow and non-light cavalry (knights, horse archers, etc.) buildings are very good, pikes are also okay, while light infantry and defensive light cavalry probably aren't worth the money.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

These building can be very strong. The housecarl building gives a good bonus to heavy infantry attack. If you consider that heavy infantry will always make up the biggest share of castle troops (if you don't intentionally avoid the barracks upgrade), then this bonus is very good. On the other hand, the Ethiopian cultural building gives pure light infantry, the worst troop type. Build these only after you have build all other upgrades, because even a militia training ground is better since it gives you archers alongside the light infantry. Magyars and West Slavic cultures get light infantry + light infantry defense, which is also pretty bad.

So it all depends. The heavy infantry, longbow and non-light cavalry (knights, horse archers, etc.) buildings are very good, pikes are also okay, while light infantry and defensive light cavalry probably aren't worth the money.

Magyars get Hussar (light cav) retinues and cultural buildings as of now, but we'll see what happens to steppe cultures after horse lords. I tend to save cultural buildings for close to last regardless, but at the end of the day, it adds troops. When it's worth your money because your other buildings are maxed and your tech level isn't going up soon, buy it, even if it's just some light infantry bullshit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

Magyars get Hussar (light cav) retinues and cultural buildings as of now, but we'll see what happens to steppe cultures after horse lords. I tend to save cultural buildings for close to last regardless, but at the end of the day, it adds troops. When it's worth your money because your other buildings are maxed and your tech level isn't going up soon, buy it, even if it's just some light infantry bullshit.

But to get back to housecarls, it adds a good amount of attack to your most important troop type. Why would you build a militia training ground before at least the first level of a housecarl training ground? The jousting list for example is probably overpriced, 15 knights +15% knights attack is likely only better than the other troop buildings once you get knights through stables. But 30 heavy infantry plus 15% attack to all your heavy infantry, when you start with 150 heavy infantry just by virtue of being a castle (and you should probably build barracks before housecarl training grounds), that's a good deal better than 80 light infantry and 10 archers.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How exactly do the building bonuses work? Is it just the heavy infantry from that county that are x% more effective? Global to my realm, or personal demesne? Or something else?

It's me. I'm the guy with 400 hours clocked who doesn't understand buildings or technology.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bonuses in each county (building/tech wise are added up) affect the levies you raise from that county

So, tech does not affect :

-Your vassal's levies (even the portion they donate to you - they use their own tech)
-Your vassals retinues (if you have vassal megadukes/kings)
-Any hired help (mercenaries/holy orders)

Even if they are currently in your realm or under your command.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Also, the cultural buildings only affect the troops from that very holding. If you have two castles, one with a longbow range and one without, only the archers of that one castle will have a combat bonus.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
So I got an event where some architect offered to build a castle holding in one of my counties for a discounted 400 gold. My son/steward endorsed him, so I went for it, but my character was old and died before anything further happened with that event chain. Did I just gently caress my heir out of 400 gold in his inheritance for no reason, or might the event persist after the originator's death?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hargrimm posted:

So I got an event where some architect offered to build a castle holding in one of my counties for a discounted 400 gold. My son/steward endorsed him, so I went for it, but my character was old and died before anything further happened with that event chain. Did I just gently caress my heir out of 400 gold in his inheritance for no reason, or might the event persist after the originator's death?

I've gotten this event too and want to know the odds on your steward being wrong about the architect (going either way). I think I've gotten a castle from a guy my steward said was a conman, but I'm not 100% sure.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've gotten this event too and want to know the odds on your steward being wrong about the architect (going either way). I think I've gotten a castle from a guy my steward said was a conman, but I'm not 100% sure.

Never happened to me. What oftenhappens is that you get a 100g refund after the castle is built.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I started a 769 game as a Ruler-Designed Mongol Jain ruler in Ireland and it's just as hilarious as promised. I'm King of Ireland and a couple of counties shy of controlling all of Scotland and still less than 100 years into the save.
At Medium Centralization, my current ruler can personally hold all but 3 counties in Ireland with Ultimo. I've upgraded to Castles in my whole demesne and am currently working on building Cities everywhere, too. Which means I've got pretty decent levies available.

A wonderful bonus is the Holy Order - 6k troops available as a healthy insurance policy against heathens that means I don't even need to raise my own troops to squash Catholic uprisings :black101:

/\ /\ /\
I've had the event fire twice that I remember - the outcome so far is 1:1

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
As Fraticelli Britannia, what would be the best way to take down the Papacy? Claims on somewhere bordering the Vatican and holy warring while Europe is busy?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Promontory posted:

As Fraticelli Britannia, what would be the best way to take down the Papacy? Claims on somewhere bordering the Vatican and holy warring while Europe is busy?

That'll get you Rome but it is kind of a disastrous move as you're sure to trigger the Crusades super early and in the end you won't take the papacy down since they'll just get a barony or county somewhere else from some kind Catholic ruler. Either way crusades will get called on you as long as you control Rome so make sure you can handle that.

You can't ever get rid of the papacy like that. iirc the papacy always exists as long as Catholicism is around.

You used to be able to make the Pope other religions with some fuckery (definitely had a Norse pagan pope once) but they always got replaced super quick. It was mostly a way to lower religious authority.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 24, 2015

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Does the Papacy still act as a clearing house for general game events since it (should) always exist and can never be in player control?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Scrree posted:

Does the Papacy still act as a clearing house for general game events since it (should) always exist and can never be in player control?

I believe so, yes.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Speaking of Fraticelli, I noticed that they are the majority of the HRE in my Scandinavia game. The papacy controls a large part of Italy, too. How did that happen? I checked right after Charlemagne formed it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Well, my first proper game of CK2, starting in Dublin ends like so:

Bit earlier, but shot of Europe in general

My biggest errors were only realising these about 250 years in:

- I only really fabricated claims for so long, just sat about waiting. Once I understood inviting claimants and pressing those of my vassals and kinsmen as well as helping to overthrow rulers I had truces with, I was at war a lot more, in the pictures above I managed to eat most of Norge in 30 years after taking 300 to set foot there.

- How to economically use your army! I used to just raise all my levies and then wait for my money to regenerate and everyone to stop hating me. Once I knew to be sparing with my personal levies and to abuse the goodwill of vassals who like me, I could hop from war to war.

- As king, you can claim duchies and take them in one fell swoop. I was going take county>wait out truce>take county>wait out truce for ages.

I'm a little CK2-ed out unsurprisingly but I'm going to try another Dublin game when i come back to it to see how I do, I'm cringing at how long it took me to eat up Ireland and half of Scotland just by waiting for the fabricated claim thing to fire :downs:

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 24, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Promontory posted:

If you can reach Rome, just do it direct. Hire mercs/retinues first, boat them over and slam them in the moment you declare war and you'll probs make it.

Just make sure you have the 1000 piety to form the fraticelli papacy when you do. After that, you're set.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

It generally involves wifes/mothers with high intrigue murdering people to favor their husbands/sons or your spymaster getting killed before s/he can reveal a plot. There is some random CRAZY and/or PARANOID factor at works too.

They often like to plot to assassinate rivals as well. Sometimes it's just the AI can see a potential inheritance setup that you might not - typically because it's incredibly minor (like a barony or something). The AI doesn't play to win like the player - they play based on the character's own personal interests. Often those interests are fairly petty or pointless from a larger perspective but enough to get them to want someone dead. If they're a lunatic then they'll basically just plot to assassinate people at random.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If they're a lunatic then they'll basically just plot to assassinate people at random.

it's got to a point I'll take the tyranny hit to turn my prison into a psuedo-asylum to keep those loonies from murdering my staff and heirs

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Walton Simons posted:

- I only really fabricated claims for so long, just sat about waiting. Once I understood inviting claimants and pressing those of my vassals and kinsmen as well as helping to overthrow rulers I had truces with, I was at war a lot more, in the pictures above I managed to eat most of Norge in 30 years after taking 300 to set foot there.

- How to economically use your army! I used to just raise all my levies and then wait for my money to regenerate and everyone to stop hating me. Once I knew to be sparing with my personal levies and to abuse the goodwill of vassals who like me, I could hop from war to war.

- As king, you can claim duchies and take them in one fell swoop. I was going take county>wait out truce>take county>wait out truce for ages.

I'm a little CK2-ed out unsurprisingly but I'm going to try another Dublin game when i come back to it to see how I do, I'm cringing at how long it took me to eat up Ireland and half of Scotland just by waiting for the fabricated claim thing to fire :downs:

I still haven't really grasped the inviting claimants to court since most people don't want to come to my court. And don't they have to be your vassal for their claim to become part of your territory?

I've still expanded to empire status thanks to good marriages and some careful plotting though.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a yet a way to search filter for "people who want to come to my court" or "people who would come to my court if I bribed them with gold"?

It gets really old clicking through every single person.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

alcaras posted:

Is there a yet a way to search filter for "people who want to come to my court" or "people who would come to my court if I bribed them with gold"?

It gets really old clicking through every single person.

Nope. That would be too easy, you're supposed to earn your claimants.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Congrats! I've yet to go through a full game (100 hours lol) but that's very cool! You should convert it to eu4 and see where that gets you

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chaotic Flame posted:

I still haven't really grasped the inviting claimants to court since most people don't want to come to my court. And don't they have to be your vassal for their claim to become part of your territory?

I've still expanded to empire status thanks to good marriages and some careful plotting though.

They do if they aren't kin, but "vassal" can be anything - give them a barony and it still counts even if you press their claim for a kingdom (at least as long as you're an emperor - even if they are a vassal if you press a claim for a title equal or higher than your own they'll still become independent). I believe they'll also be a vassal if the title is de jure part of your territory, although you don't really need to invite claimants for those anyway since you already have a CB.

The real pro way to do it though is to marry a claimant to someone of your dynasty, and then press the claim when their child inherits it. Not only will they still be your vassal since they're a member of your dynasty, but you can raise the child yourself to ensure they're content (or at least, not ambitious), making them unlikely to cause trouble with their new power.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chaotic Flame posted:

If you check the titles themselves, one of the buttons is claimants, and it will have a convenient thumbs up for anyone willing to come on over. Useful if you want to target particular titles nearby.

Remember that married couples always travel as a pair, so if the person you want won't come check to see if their spouse will. If they aren't married, try marrying them to someone who will like you more than their new liege. If you have the seduction focus you can try to seduce the claimant or their spouse, your lovers will usually accept an invitation (though that gets messy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Chaotic Flame posted:

I check for them as Angela Christine said above, they do have to be your vassal or kinsman, yes, so the best time I've found to do it is when you've just taken some land for yourself and you're over your demense limit. Invite them, give them some land, press the claim. You could also fail to arrest a plotting vassal, defeat them in war and strip their title without the opinion hit. A couple of times when at a loose end and very popular I've just revoked a title from a troublesome vassal and given it to a good claimant.

• Locked thread