Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
The casting directors are loving great at getting hot girls in this show. Lili Simmons, from the first season, was one of the most gorgeous girls I've ever seen.

I also thought it was funny how Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams were probably drunk as poo poo at that crime scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I just rewatched episode 1 again.

I completely zoned out on 3 crucial scenes where Caspere's body was being hauled around. Like the first time I saw it, no idea what I was getting into, and I was too busy digesting the scenes. Didn't even think to realize it was Caspere.

Second time around, its even better so I am starting to find a lot of the negative reviews really tumblrite tier. It's like these days people consume too quickly without digesting material, and its all a loving knee-jerk to instant intial thoughts. This is going to be a slow, evocative show that requires digesting and soaking in the mood.

Second time around, I watched Frank Semyon closer, and I saw that Vaughn was acting just what he was supposed to be. Unsure, nervous and anxious, uncomfortable. Somewhat quiet to appear controlled. That was his character, not his ability to act. His whole rail presentation depended on Caspere, the dead guy. Plus people also missed the talk he had with his wife. "Don't put on airs." "Never appear hungry." Its' all right loving there. It was a big loving day for him and he didn't get sleep. Pick it the gently caress up and get the hint, TMZ.

Not really sure about people talking about how the coffee scene was acted. Second time around...all I saw was sipping with a perfect transition to present day Frank sipping. Grasping at straws tbh.

Finally found someone who didn't bash it and is actually right about it.
http://www.businessinsider.com/true-detective-review-2015-6

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 24, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I really enjoyed it.

This has been noted upthread, but the one thing that struck me is how everyone is characterised via their sexual problems. We have the Infertile Jerk (Vaughn), the PTSD-Can't-Get-It-Up Cop (Kitsch), the Not-Even-Thinking-About-It Cop (Farrell) and the Repressed/Fetish (?)/BDSM (?) Cop (McAdams).

With that setup, I'm fully expecting a repressed cop threesome orgy somewhere down the line. Possibly LSD-fuelled in McAdams' dad's "institute". It will turn out not to be cathartic at all.

I hope I will be disappointed and it's not that predictable, though.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

incoherent posted:

They should replace the shots of the refinery and the freeway with the GTA 5 swap player animations.

Speaking of GTA V; were the road layouts in that game really lifted that much from present-day LA? I mean, I knew Los Santos is LA, but drat.

I thought it was very apparent in the scene with the Mulholland-sign. The stretch of highway just looked like a perfect match to the place in GTA V, where the road "Bay City Incline" merges into "Great Ocean Highway" in sqaure B3 on the map of Los Santos.

Anyway, my inital thoughts were kinda iffy. I kept comparing it to Season 1. "Oh great, now they find a girl missing. I wonder if she'll tie into the whole thing somehow :rolleye: " which is pretty stupid, admittedly.

Also, it's a great point about Vince Vaughn's acting abillity, that he was supposed to be all wound up and weird.

I think I need to see it again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

brylcreem posted:

Speaking of GTA V; were the road layouts in that game really lifted that much from present-day LA? I mean, I knew Los Santos is LA, but drat.

I thought it was very apparent in the scene with the Mulholland-sign. The stretch of highway just looked like a perfect match to the place in GTA V, where the road "Bay City Incline" merges into "Great Ocean Highway" in sqaure B3 on the map of Los Santos.

Ha, that was my first thought too. I recognised a lot of the landscape from GTA V. Having never been to LA, my first point of reference is the game, so it's interesting that at times this episode felt GTA-ish.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

I just rewatched episode 1 again.

I completely zoned out on 3 crucial scenes where Caspere's body was being hauled around. Like the first time I saw it, no idea what I was getting into, and I was too busy digesting the scenes. Didn't even think to realize it was Caspere.

Second time around, its even better so I am starting to find a lot of the negative reviews really tumblrite tier. It's like these days people consume too quickly without digesting material, and its all a loving knee-jerk to instant intial thoughts. This is going to be a slow, evocative show that requires digesting and soaking in the mood.

Second time around, I watched Frank Semyon closer, and I saw that Vaughn was acting just what he was supposed to be. Unsure, nervous and anxious, uncomfortable. Somewhat quiet to appear controlled. That was his character, not his ability to act. His whole rail presentation depended on Caspere, the dead guy. Plus people also missed the talk he had with his wife. "Don't put on airs." "Never appear hungry." Its' all right loving there. It was a big loving day for him and he didn't get sleep. Pick it the gently caress up and get the hint, TMZ.

Not really sure about people talking about how the coffee scene was acted. Second time around...all I saw was sipping with a perfect transition to present day Frank sipping. Grasping at straws tbh.

Finally found someone who didn't bash it and is actually right about it.
http://www.businessinsider.com/true-detective-review-2015-6

I was at work and since our access is controlled I decided to read some reviews for the premier. I was actually surprised to find that a lot of respectable sites had critic reviews that had character names wrong, plot points, and compared this one episode to the entire last season.

One critic talked about how the mysterious killer kept a crows head in his car. How the hell he missed that it was a mask astounds me.

Still not as bad as my partner's aunt who I found out watched last season and decided to talk to during a party. She didn't like the show because she thought they should solve a mystery each episode.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

brylcreem posted:

That's how Rockstar rolls as of late. Check out some comparison shots between GTA IV and NYC/NJ sometime; it's pretty cool how much they basically lifted whole cloth from real life, changing only one or two details. They kept it going with GTA V, and it makes sense they'd lift huge chunks of highway because it's one the city's most infamous attributes.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Ha, that was my first thought too. I recognised a lot of the landscape from GTA V. Having never been to LA, my first point of reference is the game, so it's interesting that at times this episode felt GTA-ish.

That's exactly right! It was a weird feeling, I don't know if it contributed to my general "meh"-ness.

Toaster Beef posted:

That's how Rockstar rolls as of late. Check out some comparison shots between GTA IV and NYC/NJ sometime; it's pretty cool how much they basically lifted whole cloth from real life, changing only one or two details. They kept it going with GTA V, and it makes sense they'd lift huge chunks of highway because it's one the city's most infamous attributes.

Oh yes, definitely. Thanks!

Also, it would make sense I would only notice the similarities (this much) now, since I only got GTA V this New Year's, and previous tv shows and movies set in LA, hasn't focused this much on the highways.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Tomahawk posted:

Lmao was that a Delivery Man reference

I think it was mis-direction.

Obviously the guy Vaughn fingered as the rapist is not going to be the actual rapist, but with the idea that he might be infertile and going for IVF, I'm guessing Vaughn is actually the rapist/the kid's biological father.

(although earlier on Vaughn did exclaim 'An 8 part series!', so maybe he is just being tedious)

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
I lost the post where someone said it but I think the theory that Vince Vaughn didn't point out the right guy to Colin Farrell is on point. Not because of the guy's very not-ginger hair in the picture, cause that seems flimsy, but Vince Vaughn seems to really want to make it clear that he thinks it's the right guy simply because that's the word on the street. He definitely does not commit to 'this is certainly the guy that did it.'

^^drat you I waited all night at work to say that haha

frenton fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 24, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Padje posted:

(although earlier on Vaughn did exclaim 'An 8 part series!', so maybe he is just being tedious)

Small aside here.When you pause the episode, you can actually read the article. The bit about it being an 8 part series isn't even in the first paragraph, so apparently Frank can read really fast as he barely glances at it before saying that.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
The cam-girl sister running away from the blonde cop after their little confrontation at the house they raided reminded me so much of the hilarious bad running from Taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-vA5omI2U

They tore these scenes apart on Opie & Anthony when it came out and I'll never un-see bad girl running in movies and TV again.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Something I missed.

After they raid the camgirl house, Antigone and her partner wind up at some farm hovel, where the woman inside says "If you want to help me, find this missing girl," and that leads Antigone to the confrontation with her father.

Why'd she go to that farmhouse in the first place?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Something I missed.

After they raid the camgirl house, Antigone and her partner wind up at some farm hovel, where the woman inside says "If you want to help me, find this missing girl," and that leads Antigone to the confrontation with her father.

I got the sense that it was because she thought her sister was involved in some illicit poo poo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Phanatic posted:

Ani is Ventura County CID, she was on an eviction notice errand run. The woman didn't pay her dues.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 24, 2015

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Phanatic posted:

Something I missed.

They're serving like a foreclosure paper on the farm. They say something like "They should make the feds deliver these things," and when they serve her the farm woman goes "drat, this all they have for the police to do. Why don't you actually do police work and find this girl?"

It's all super convenient. I love when she shuts her partner down with the blunt "Don't talk about my family," when it seems like a perfectly legitimate comment considering they bump into them on an hourly basis.

It's easy to pick this show apart but I really did LOVE that first episode.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I got this feel that all three of them had a lovely day and then they converged, so it was kind of like collision course of the cosmos. Its pretty cool how they fragmented it. gently caress Ani's partner, he's a tool. I'd say the same thing if someone made an off comment about my parents.

In this final age of man~
http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/grecoromanmyth1/a/hesiodagesofman.htm

Was Ani's hippie grecrophile~ dad referring to the iron age?

"The Iron Age

Zeus placed a 5th race of men on earth during the present, Iron Age. All manner of evils came into being during this age. Piety and other virtues disappeared and most of the gods who were left on Earth, abandoned it. Zeus will destroy this race some day."

We get the world we deserve...

Professor Shark posted:

She didn't like the show because she thought they should solve a mystery each episode.

:yikes:

Yea the article pretty much nailed why most people aren't patient or intelligent enough to appreciate it. I'm all for this kind of storytelling and pacing rather than your typical mystery theater a la Scooby Doo. S2 seems to have a different genetic make up and its great. Tbh now that I watched it a second time, and probably will go for a third before the next episode on sunday, I just keep thinking how they balance 4 loving characters well up to The Convergence and it kicks off. It owns.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 24, 2015

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

Something I missed.

Also, I'm pretty sure the missing girl was the same one blowing the impotent motorcycle cop.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure the missing girl was the same one blowing the impotent motorcycle cop.

There's only been one episode and it's already too difficult to tell what's an ill thought out post and what's a parody.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Padje posted:

There's only been one episode and it's already too difficult to tell what's an ill thought out post and what's a parody.

Why would it be ill thought out?

This girl:

and this girl:

look something alike?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

She is missing, she didn't move up town to apparently have a decent apartment and cop boyfriend.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Why would it be ill thought out?

This girl:

and this girl:

look something alike?

That chick looks like trouble. Wow.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

^burtle posted:

She is missing, she didn't move up town to apparently have a decent apartment and cop boyfriend.

While unlikely, it's not like it couldn't happen. The truth is that upon my initial viewing of the episode, it did seem like the girlfriend resembled the girl in the photo.

The screenshots posted there bear that out; they resemble each other, but don't appear to be the same person.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i thought the girl in the photo might have been the waitress with the scar lol

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Padje posted:

... anyway, did you guys notice this?!

What do you think this means?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

brylcreem posted:

I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity for rabbit-hole derails this season. No need to pull poo poo from the old thread.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
If one of those dolls had a mustache and a bolo tie the internet would go crazy.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brylcreem posted:

My favorite theory so far is True Detective season 1 is actually Pizzalatte's Lost. After season 2 people will realize he is a Lindelof hack and Fukunaga didn't get nearly enough credit.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

sector_corrector posted:

Naked Woman in Milk Bowl, 750 dollars, Skymall.

This made me laugh pretty loudly. Bravo.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

whatever7 posted:

My favorite theory so far is True Detective season 1 is actually Pizzalatte's Lost. After season 2 people will realize he is a Lindelof hack and Fukunaga didn't get nearly enough credit.

Except he didn't make a lost type show. He made a pulp magazine detective show.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

whatever7 posted:

Fukunaga didn't get nearly enough credit.

Edit: That being said, I enjoyed the first episode of Season 2, possibly because the negative press lowered my expectations. Ferrell's complete rear end in a top hat of a character and the weirdly repressed CHP guy are like magnifications of last season's stars, and I still don't know where to put Adams/Vaughn. Also, what's with the hate for the opening theme song? The first season's was equally lovely, except it was bland instead of being vaguely off-putting.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 24, 2015

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Am I the only one who doesn't know why the gently caress that weird CHP guy is even in this show?

I'm assuming I'm just being impatient, but, other than him miraculously finding the body, I don't see how a motorcycle cop, now on leave, can bring anything to a murder investigation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PleasusChrist posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't know why the gently caress that weird CHP guy is even in this show?

I'm assuming I'm just being impatient, but, other than him miraculously finding the body, I don't see how a motorcycle cop, now on leave, can bring anything to a murder investigation.

It is possible that the writers may be able to think up with more stuff for him to do in future episodes.

edit: Or maybe he just silently disappears between episodes 1 and 2?

withak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 24, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PleasusChrist posted:

He's probably just a one-off guest star.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

frenton posted:

The cam-girl sister running away from the blonde cop after their little confrontation at the house they raided reminded me so much of the hilarious bad running from Taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-vA5omI2U

They tore these scenes apart on Opie & Anthony when it came out and I'll never un-see bad girl running in movies and TV again.

Girls running in tv shows/movies is probably the most true to life acting ever recorded

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

withak posted:

edit: Or maybe he just silently disappears between episodes 1 and 2?

sector_corrector posted:

He's probably just a one-off guest star.
Probably. I see that a lot with the top billed actors.

Hollywood, right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Girls running in tv shows/movies is probably the most true to life acting ever recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkskuSXqUD0

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

PleasusChrist posted:

This summer motorcycle patrolman Paul Woodrugh is solving crimes along the California coastline at 100mph...Taylor Kitsch is... Motorcycle Cop!

Actually my guess would be you follow his story somewhat separated apart from a few interviews as a witness, around halfway he gets unsuspended and insists on being part of this case, which is allowed as new evidence hints that the missing person had ties with some shady dealings centered around the highway. Or something else. I don't know, perhaps episodes 2-8 will explain it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

lifts cats over head posted:

perhaps episodes 2-8 will explain it.

I'm not willing to wait that long to find out whether the show sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

romanowski posted:

i thought the girl in the photo might have been the waitress with the scar lol

I actually thought they looked a bit a like but the girl hasn't been missing long enough for a wound like that to heal and scar.

I realize your post was meant as a joke.

• Locked thread