Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

xcore posted:

Queue me putting off upgrading again and then realising that in 6-12 months time everyone on this page is saying "HBM2 is only in it's infancy and it's expensive as hell as it's new tech. The smart money is on the next gen when they have refined the techonology to get the best performance out of it and development costs have been lowered."

The cycle never ends :arghfist:

The way generations have been split, NV and AMD will be leading off with their small chip Arctic Islands/Pascal designs, HBM2 should be plenty of bandwidth for any increases not to matter, and they'll probably be going to a lower node and adding FinFETs. All of those but starting off with the small chip are going to be one time things that should add a bunch of performance, while them leading off with small chips should mean except for a top end milking machine there will be pricing like the 970 for a huge jump. Things will get better still from there, but it should be pretty much the biggest generational jump in memory if not history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

What case is that?
Silverstone tj08b-e
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163182

I like the thing. Only thing to note is that with the top mounted power supply, you'll hear it a lot more than with other cases. So if you care about quiet, make sure your PS has a fanless mode. I have one of these, and it works very well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151121

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Silverstone tj08b-e
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163182

I like the thing. Only thing to note is that with the top mounted power supply, you'll hear it a lot more than with other cases. So if you care about quiet, make sure your PS has a fanless mode.
The TJ-08E is the best case I have ever used, absolutely no joke. Dead silent, supports massive heatsinks, keeps GPUs cool as a cucumber, extremely miniature stature for a tower. The only downside is that it is a bit cramped, especially if you want clean cabling, and if you run a super hot GPU or SLI there that doesn't use a blower it's going to be fun times making sure all the heat gets exhausted. (to solve that I keep the PSU pointed to the inside of the case to pull out stagnant air, and use mesh PCI brackets to make sure the massive front fan can push air through to the rear)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 25, 2015

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So I've decided to go with a GTX 970 4GB. Is the MSI version good enough? Bit bewildered by all the different makes. Is overclocking simple enough with it?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Rather Dashing posted:

So I've decided to go with a GTX 970 4GB. Is the MSI version good enough? Bit bewildered by all the different makes. Is overclocking simple enough with it?

Yes, yes, yes

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rather Dashing posted:

MSI is fine. Buy that. As for overclocking, download afterburner. Load it up, move a slider, and congratulations, you have overclocked!
http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

My 980ti is listed as out for delivery right now. Come on Fedex, I want to stick it in!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

xthetenth posted:

Things will get better still from there, but it should be pretty much the biggest generational jump in memory if not history
The last time I can think of anything of the same scale were when they cracked unified shaders and performance started surging upwards.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Filthy Monkey posted:

MSI is fine. Buy that. As for overclocking, download afterburner. Load it up, move a slider, and congratulations, you have overclocked!
http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

My 980ti is listed as out for delivery right now. Come on Fedex, I want to stick it in!

Yeah, overclocking is kinda idiot proof now which is cool. My own 970 overclocking experience was just cranking up the core clock until the driver started crashing, then backing off about 30mhz. Even then when the driver crashes it's just "screen goes black for 2 seconds". It's kinda awesome.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

cat doter posted:

Yeah, overclocking is kinda idiot proof now which is cool. My own 970 overclocking experience was just cranking up the core clock until the driver started crashing, then backing off about 30mhz. Even then when the driver crashes it's just "screen goes black for 2 seconds". It's kinda awesome.

So there's no recommended level to overclocking a particular card? Does the rest of my system have a bearing on how far I can go or something?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

HalloKitty posted:

In my opinion AMD introduced the new HBM stack in the wrong order - the high end card shouldn't have come so soon. Fury Nano or maybe Fury Not-X would have been a better introduction, and the 4GiB of VRAM easier to swallow, and then boom, throw out Fury X when DirectX 12/Vulkan hits its stride, and their drivers are no longer hamstringing the poo poo out of their cards.

I don't think they released in the wrong order, as there should have been more R/D into not having that 4GB limit on HBM. I wonder though, and maybe it's already been brought up - could AMD theoretically pair its HBM with additional GDDR5 on the board? Would that cripple the card, be too expensive or just be something that's not possible to do with current tech? I'd be interested to see if it's a possibility, AMD has been using wider buses for a while on their high-end cards (384 and 512 bit) but wasn't sure if HBM could be compatible with, say, an additional 2-4GB GDDR5 running a 512-bit bus to take away high-res limitations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rather Dashing posted:

So there's no recommended level to overclocking a particular card? Does the rest of my system have a bearing on how far I can go or something?

Your power supply, pretty much. Each card is different for how far it will go. Just depends no your GPU lottery.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Hey, look on the bright side. At least FuryX isn't slower than AMD's previous generation of cards. That's progress, right?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Rather Dashing posted:

Not really. You can look up other people's numbers for your specific model but by the time you get enough of them to make an educated guess you could have just overclocked it yourself. Numbers between different cards essentially dont work since the stock values are different.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nostrum posted:

Hey, look on the bright side. At least FuryX isn't slower than AMD's previous generation of cards. That's progress, right?

By the standards of AMD CPUs, absolutely!!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cat doter posted:

Yeah, overclocking is kinda idiot proof now which is cool.

You say that, but they'll make a better idiot - I promise.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

El Scotch posted:

You say that, but they'll make a better idiot - I promise.
What product line developments should I buy to future-proof for faster, more powerful idiots? I don't get my really really big paycheck for another 18 months, then I'll definitely pull in all the most horrible bads

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 25, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cat doter posted:

Yeah, automatic voltage ramping when OCing is all kinds of nice, I kind of forgot how much Maxwell cards automatically up the volts at higher clocks.

Hopefully AMD does something similarly nice to fix their current setup of no volt changes for you, their cards need manual voltage tweaking to OC.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So, for someone gaming at 1080p for at least the next couple years who wants to crank all the settings and still hit (or get near) 60 fps - is the GTX 980 the sweet spot, ignoring price/performance for the moment? The 970 seems like it isn't quite there, while the 980 Ti seems like it gives diminishing returns at 1080p (although, I wonder if that headroom would be useful in a few years as devs keep adding bling to games).

My 7950 is mostly fine at the moment, but with the Witcher 3 currently and Fallout 4 coming up (despite, I'm guessing, not being as taxing as W3), I'm starting to get the upgrade itch, but holding out for Pascal seems a better idea assuming it's coming in early/mid 2016 and not late 2016.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Space Racist posted:

So, for someone gaming at 1080p for at least the next couple years who wants to crank all the settings and still hit (or get near) 60 fps - is the GTX 980 the sweet spot, ignoring price/performance for the moment? The 970 seems like it isn't quite there, while the 980 Ti seems like it gives diminishing returns at 1080p (although, I wonder if that headroom would be useful in a few years as devs keep adding bling to games).

My 7950 is mostly fine at the moment, but with the Witcher 3 currently and Fallout 4 coming up (despite, I'm guessing, not being as taxing as W3), I'm starting to get the upgrade itch, but holding out for Pascal seems a better idea assuming it's coming in early/mid 2016 and not late 2016.

If you're willing to spend that much on GPU, why not consider moving to a higher resolution monitor too? 2560x1440 is really awesome and gives tons of screen real estate for general use. It's nice for more than just gaming and there's good options around $300 now.

Yes, anything faster than a 970 is less relevant at 1080p than at higher resolutions. That said, you wouldn't regret moving to a higher res.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Twerk from Home posted:

If you're willing to spend that much on GPU, why not consider moving to a higher resolution monitor too? 2560x1440 is really awesome and gives tons of screen real estate for general use. It's nice for more than just gaming and there's good options around $300 now.

Yes, anything faster than a 970 is less relevant at 1080p than at higher resolutions. That said, you wouldn't regret moving to a higher res.

The thing about monitors is my current setup is connected to a 32" 1080p TV that I do 95% of my gaming on (from an armchair). I figured I'd just keep my setup as-is until 4k is more affordable in a few years, at which point I'd probably need a full re-build as well.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Space Racist posted:

Yes I would agree, if price wasn't a factor I think a 980 is really great for 1080p.

On an unrelated note, I'll sell you a G1 Gaming for $400 :)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Space Racist posted:

Hold out for Pascal and get the x70 equivalent. It's anyone's guess when the cards will come out though and I wouldn't bet lots of money on it being out within the next 8 months or so.

HBM 2 will be nice.

So is a 970 mind you, and it'll be pretty easy to resell in a year, and you'll have significantly better performance in the interim.

Not to mention you get to wait until Nvidia starts bundling games with their GPUs again next upgrade cycle. I'd say go with the 970, the 980 is notoriously poor value for the money.

E: ^^^ though $400 isn't a bad price for it at all. That's about as much as I paid for my 970 (California taxes :argh: )

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 25, 2015

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm throwing my EVGA 780 ti SC on SA Mart when I get home. Keep forgetting to do it. Thoughts on pricing? I figured I'd just put it at $225 to move it quickly.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm throwing my EVGA 780 ti SC on SA Mart when I get home. Keep forgetting to do it. Thoughts on pricing? I figured I'd just put it at $225 to move it quickly.

How the great have fallen. $225 is more than fair imo. Could sell it for $300 on ebay in 1 day if you wanted

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'd target it around $250 or $280, those would be very fair prices.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

FYI my hybrid kit shipped today. Did you order the hybrid card or just the kit?

Kit, via Amazon. Still showing backordered. Jerks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

How the great have fallen. $225 is more than fair imo. Could sell it for $300 on ebay in 1 day if you wanted

Sold my 780ti for $360 on ebay in a day

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Kit, via Amazon. Still showing backordered. Jerks.
That is unfortunate.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wish corsair would release the h980. Want some h80igt's on mine

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Multi-monitor is great. You can size one for the gaming experience you want, and stick another beside it to get more text/desktop real-estate. Surround gaming, mind, is definitely a gimmick. Just go 21:9.

Noooooooooope. I've been using triple screen for going on 5 years and I'll never go back. Love me some surround screens.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

I don't think they released in the wrong order, as there should have been more R/D into not having that 4GB limit on HBM. I wonder though, and maybe it's already been brought up - could AMD theoretically pair its HBM with additional GDDR5 on the board? Would that cripple the card, be too expensive or just be something that's not possible to do with current tech? I'd be interested to see if it's a possibility, AMD has been using wider buses for a while on their high-end cards (384 and 512 bit) but wasn't sure if HBM could be compatible with, say, an additional 2-4GB GDDR5 running a 512-bit bus to take away high-res limitations.
No clue on the technical limitations, but wouldn't that necessitate a larger (albeit traditional at this point) board size to fit it? That would kinda cancel out one of the nice benefits of HBM. If nothing else that'd be a reason to have gone with the Nano for the launch product instead, it's (supposedly) a pretty fast card so it'd still show off what could be done as far as size and power efficiency, while kinda keeping expectations in check because of the focus on those factors instead of comparing to the other highest end cards on the market.

Course that's also in a world where AMD doesn't puff it up things out of proportion or blow it with the hardware or drivers :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AMD Should have put 4gb HBM on a lower end card to get price down and then put 8gb gddr5 on the fury x since the extra bandwidth of hbm really isn't needed right now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Don Lapre posted:

Wish corsair would release the h980. Want some h80igt's on mine

I have a Corsair CLC that was gifted to me waiting on that version of the HG10 myself, it's got the square water block so I'm SOL until this happens too

Even better is if someone releases a bracket that can fit onto a non-reference card so I'm not tempted to ditch this CLC on ebay and do The Mod myself. I can dream

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I have a Corsair CLC that was gifted to me waiting on that version of the HG10 myself, it's got the square water block so I'm SOL until this happens too

Even better is if someone releases a bracket that can fit onto a non-reference card so I'm not tempted to ditch this CLC on ebay and do The Mod myself. I can dream

Supposed to be in august and honestly the ref blowers dont even bother me too much. i dont even notice them when playing games.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That is unfortunate.

Got a trip report yet? Mine's not being delivered until Tuesday, although I did get my EVGA 980 Ti backplate yesterday!

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Now I'm seeing some people desperately saying that reviewers "used the wrong drivers" for the Fury X or something. Isn't that a factor that AMD would have been prepared for and given them like, super explicit instructions on?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So after seeing the reviews of the Fury X yesterday, I noticed that the MSI 6g was in stock at newegg. I ordered it with overnight shipping, got it today, and stuck it right in my machine.

My computer is less than pretty on the inside. Shot didn't turn out so well due to a lack of light inside the case.

It crushes my old 760 into the dust. I can witcher 3 with settings cranked up at 1440p with an fps in the 60s, rather than 30-35 fps at medium settings with my old card.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 25, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

beejay posted:

Now I'm seeing some people desperately saying that reviewers "used the wrong drivers" for the Fury X or something. Isn't that a factor that AMD would have been prepared for and given them like, super explicit instructions on?

its literally like one reviewer used 15.15.3940293

and another used 15.15.3940384

edit: Children should not be allowed to buy video cards

Stupid gently caress wants Newegg to give him a lifetime warranty cause XFX changed it to 2 years.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3b34uh/xfx_cancels_lifetime_warranty_support_program_r9/

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 25, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

Got a trip report yet?
Nope. Probably won't have time to do anything with it until next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I thought XFX ended the lifetime warranty program awhile ago, although maybe that was the double-lifetime transferable warranty ...
Plan to keep my 6970 as a backup card since it's covered under that program anyways.