Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Multiple reports out of New York are saying that MMA in New York is dead this year.

Basically, the reason for it is that too many supporters are not physically available to vote on it, since they didn't expect the session to run this long and had made other plans. I didn't know legislators were allowed to say "screw this, I'm going home". They still would have had a majority, but not a majority of the controlling party with those absent lawmakers, which is a rule they apparently have for bringing a bill to the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

What combat sports are legal in New York? I can't find a list.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

tesilential posted:

Which one of you cowards took Aldo in an avatar/probation bet we made months ago?

I don't want to bet avatars, but I'll take a 30 day probation bet on Aldo if you want.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Bubba Smith posted:

I think Reebok wants it so Jones/Conor/Rousey/Pettis/Hendricks are the first fighters always brought up in media when people talk about Reebok & UFC stuff. If Jones weren't such a massive shithead it would be a good group to cover a lot of demographics.

Hendricks for that vaunted long road trucker/man who fishes in a swamp for a living demographic

mewse
May 2, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

I didn't know legislators were allowed to say "screw this, I'm going home".

They basically do what they want

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Northjayhawk posted:

Only a few fighters have signed endorsements deals with Reebok.

Yeah, that's the joke man.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Northjayhawk posted:

Multiple reports out of New York are saying that MMA in New York is dead this year.

Basically, the reason for it is that too many supporters are not physically available to vote on it, since they didn't expect the session to run this long and had made other plans. I didn't know legislators were allowed to say "screw this, I'm going home". They still would have had a majority, but not a majority of the controlling party with those absent lawmakers, which is a rule they apparently have for bringing a bill to the floor.

Welcome to state level politics where "gently caress your school budget I've got lobbyist to meet" is the standard.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Ty1990 posted:

Almost everything but professional MMA. Grappling, kickboxing, Muay Thai, martial arts, etc are all legal.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Ty1990 posted:

Everything except pro-MMA is legal and regulated here. The only exception is amatuer MMA which is unregulated but basically ignored by the authorities so it's pretty much de facto legal. This leads to gross mismatches, no oversight and terrible safety standards at amateur shows and is one of the major reasons that this bill really needs to pass.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

Almost everything but professional MMA. Grappling, kickboxing, Muay Thai, martial arts, etc are all legal.

Thank you. What a joke.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Haha wait seriously? I thought it was that most combat sports were banned in NY, not that it was literally just MMA. That's totally absurd.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Uhh have you never seen a boxing card at MSG

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Kickboxing cards at MSG are especially hilarious and sad. That entire venue is there and yet the attendance is like 200-300, and they're all hardcore kickboxing nerds.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

1st AD posted:

Uhh have you never seen a boxing card at MSG

Nope, I don't pay any attention to boxing or kickboxing or MMA that isn't the UFC. I'm basically a textbook filthy casual.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Kickboxing only exists to launder money for organized crime.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Nope, I don't pay any attention to boxing or kickboxing or MMA that isn't the UFC. I'm basically a textbook filthy casual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_of_the_Century

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Whoa Frasier Crane fought the Muhammad, testing the metal of analytical logic against that of wisdom and faith? Talk about a fight of the century!

I seriously know an embarrassing amount of nothing about combat sports

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The fight of the century was actually Dan Henderson vs Fedor and don't let anyone ever tell you differently

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Or maybe the time Sakuraba had to play by the Gracies full set of tard rules and still made him quit like a little child

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

There is a pretty good documentary about Ali called I Am Ali and I remember him having a funny reaction to losing the decision. You all might check it out.

Also I'm always going to pimp the Tyson documentary because it was fantastic.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

Haha wait seriously? I thought it was that most combat sports were banned in NY, not that it was literally just MMA. That's totally absurd.

It's even more absurd than that. It's only pro MMA that's banned, amateur MMA is allowed in New York.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

The 2012 K-1 World Grand Prix finals was going to be in New York and I think at MSG.

My friend and I were going fly down for that but we all know how this joke ends.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hey I'm just Mendes
And this is crazy
But here's the canvas
Shouts to Fabey

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

1st AD posted:

Kickboxing only exists to launder money for organized crime.

How does that differ from boxing?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

K8.0 posted:

How does that differ from boxing?

kickboxing has kicking in it

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
Aldo is now an underdog on several books. Thank god for gullible idiots.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

There is a pretty good documentary about Ali called I Am Ali and I remember him having a funny reaction to losing the decision. You all might check it out.

Also I'm always going to pimp the Tyson documentary because it was fantastic.

Tyson is indeed fantastic, but have one on Joe Frazier.

Documentary on the Thrilla in Manilla about the rivalry of Ali and Frazier. Specifically makes a lot of effort to point out how lovely Ali treated Frazier and gives Frazier a lot of time to talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUQNKb_1xlc

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Being lovely doesn't even come close to describing the mental blitzkrieg Ali was deploying for that fight. I feel like I hear a new example every year that i hadnt heard about before and they're all silly and/or really awful.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

The last time Mendes had to fight someone as tall as a man he had a tough night. I'm not counting Conor out like some of you jerks.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

diesiel posted:

Aldo is now an underdog on several books. Thank god for gullible idiots.

Yes.

Indeed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If Conor ran through Mendes would people expect him to run through Frankie?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

EmmyOk posted:

If Conor ran through Mendes would people expect him to run through Freddie?

No. Frankie is better and has a much more refined striking game.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Being lovely doesn't even come close to describing the mental blitzkrieg Ali was deploying for that fight. I feel like I hear a new example every year that i hadnt heard about before and they're all silly and/or really awful.

If you can look past Tyson's misgivings, I don't think Ali saying mean things is going to be a big deal. I will probably watch that video this weekend though so thanks for the heads up, Lid.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Seltzer posted:

No. Frankie is better and has a much more refined striking game.

Yeah, people are still sleeping on Frankie i think.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

SquirrelGrip posted:

Yeah, people are still sleeping on Frankie i think.

I don't think anyone who has been watching MMA for awhile is sleeping on Edgar. There's just some new fans and the Conor hype has been nonstop.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Much like Mendes, Frankie would be at a huge reach disadvantage against Connor, and he's already a guy that gets hit a good bit in basically all of his fights.

He would get busted up coming in, the question is whether he could do enough once there to make it worth it. Connor is a rangy counterpuncher and uses his length well, so he's going to be a tough matchup on paper for guys like Chad and Frankie who need to fight coming forward.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Mendes seems to hit a bit harder than Frankie and is possibly physically stronger, Frankie mixes his striking and wrestling better and has a much more diverse game on the feet.

In particular Frankie feints a lot whereas Mendes does so hardly at all, which makes their chances vs a counterpuncher very different.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Frankie's been my favorite fighter since before most of you idiots started posting here and I only slightly favor him against mcgregor because he's one of the greatest of all time.

As a lifelong fight fan, I understand what mcgregor means when he says most fighters hit a level and stay stagnant. Frankie has improved more than the vast majority ever do but you don't see many new things. Same combos. Same trips and takedowns mixed in with strikes. It very well could be enough to get mcgregor down and hold him furiously while trying to get some gnp going, but if you don't see that mcgregor is elevating the level of the striking game you aren't paying attention.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*Leprechaun voice*

I believe I am different from these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
People keep saying 'Frankie gets hit cleanly too much which hasn't happened since the Maynard fight and a freak Bendo up kick.

• Locked thread