Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's a nice take on FTL to think that you're working for the enemy. I've always wondered just how important the information you're ferrying is, and just how big the rebel forces are. Maybe you're supporting the last days of a dictator's regime, and considering that your ship (picked presumably because it's fast and can out run the enemy force) is the weapon used against the rebel flagship, maybe the best option would be to surrender and turn coat.

There's a lot of disdain for the federation in it but the rebels are openly human supremacists.
It's more a subversion of the 'rebels are the good guys!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
You mean if I side with the rebels, I won't have to put up with any more rockheads, insectoid killers or literal giant slugs? poo poo, turn this ship around and sign me up with Team Humanity Rulez

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the great things about Arkham Knight is the GPD in general.

The Gotham Police Department is basically your home back. As you progress through the game it gets more and more filled. Guys you captured show up there, items you find are put there, and so-on. And almost all of it has dialogue. Supervillains you capture will bitch at each other, guys in the cages will chatter at Batman, and so-on. Some of it even seems game-sensitive. A friend of mine had mooks laughing about how they kicked his rear end in a fight while I never had it happen.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Okay, ready for the dumbest little thing in games that entertains me? Ingress.

I'm a moderator for a mid-size Enlightened community and I work with both ENL Global Operations and the Enlightened North America Cooperative Center for anomaly planning. I've met a lot of players from around the world, and have discovered that the average number of players on each side is unbalanced in different regions for semiotic reasons.

Here in the US, we're Enlightened versus Resistance, and the Resistance holds sway - 70% of the player population wants to be in the rebellion. In China? The Resistance are the "Revolutionaries" and the Enlightened are the "Heaven's Lights". They have a vastly higher ENL population because of their semiotics. Russia is divided roughly evenly, and the Russian players I know think it's because the two faction colors are the same. There's no green and blue there, but two shades of teal. In Spain, the Resistance is over 80% of the player population because the Enlightened are called the Illuminati by the game's systems.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's really interesting. I'm in the US and play green occasionally but it's hard to go hunting most days. Last time I did it, I saw a blue group hacking a node by my house, let them finish and went in to repair it. As I'm finishing up, two members of that group have circled back and start screaming at me. Ingress is a very cool idea but attracts some hosed up people.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Inzombiac posted:

That's really interesting. I'm in the US and play green occasionally but it's hard to go hunting most days. Last time I did it, I saw a blue group hacking a node by my house, let them finish and went in to repair it. As I'm finishing up, two members of that group have circled back and start screaming at me.

As in the actual real-life people got mad about vidya games and started yelling at you? Eesh.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I downloaded Ingress a while back but there's like tutorials and videos and poo poo so I just click buttons when I notice I'm near a button clicking place.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I played it for a little while and then joined the community chat on the website and got yelled at for talking. On the chat. I lost interest soon after that.

Would be awesome if it weren't for the players.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Would be awesome if it weren't for the players.

Video games, summed up perfectly in one line.

I've been playing a bunch of Splatoon, and I'm loving how unified everything feels. All the sea creature and seafood puns ("cool" is replaced with "fresh", Spyke is a sea urchin but also a street urchin, etc.), the look of the characters, even the sound design makes everything sound a little aquatic and bubbly. There was definitely a very strong vision behind the game, and it's incredibly refreshing to see an idea just so consistently realized.

turnways has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Jun 25, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

New favorite little thing in games, for a game that doesn't even have gameplay footage yet, let alone a release date:

Nier 2. The original Nier, being a game loved by a lot of vocal internet video game posters, was largely believed to not get a sequel for a while. The combat sucked, the side quests were a bore, but the story itself was good enough that most people consider it probably the singular video game with good writing.

So at Square Enix's E3 panel, they put together a reveal trailer that they prefaced with "This is more an announcement, we just want you all to know that we're working on this, here's some concept art to go with it" and let it run.

The trailer flashes up the name of a specific person from Square Enix, but he's worked on a very broad number of games (including Nier). Then it flashes up the name of the director of Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance. Then the name of the composer from Drakengard and Nier. Then the director of Drakengard and Nier. Then, finally, "NIER" slowly comes on screen from a jumble of letters.

It was all purposefully put together to look like yet another IP that Squenix was just showing early, with little information, that nobody will care about until it gets fleshed out later on this year. Instead, all the Nier fans in the audience got a gut punch of excitement to make them fanboy/girl the gently caress out. A new Nier game, with the same director that made the first one so good, with the same composer that made the game's awesome music, and the weakest part (the gameplay) is being picked up by the person who made Metal Gear Goddamn Rising.

The gradual building of pure joy you can hear in most people's voices when they realize that yes, your nerd game is getting a sequel, and it is going to loving rule is just wonderful. :allears:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

death .cab for qt posted:

New favorite little thing in games, for a game that doesn't even have gameplay footage yet, let alone a release date:

Nier 2. The original Nier, being a game loved by a lot of vocal internet video game posters, was largely believed to not get a sequel for a while. The combat sucked, the side quests were a bore, but the story itself was good enough that most people consider it probably the singular video game with good writing.

So at Square Enix's E3 panel, they put together a reveal trailer that they prefaced with "This is more an announcement, we just want you all to know that we're working on this, here's some concept art to go with it" and let it run.

The trailer flashes up the name of a specific person from Square Enix, but he's worked on a very broad number of games (including Nier). Then it flashes up the name of the director of Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance. Then the name of the composer from Drakengard and Nier. Then the director of Drakengard and Nier. Then, finally, "NIER" slowly comes on screen from a jumble of letters.

It was all purposefully put together to look like yet another IP that Squenix was just showing early, with little information, that nobody will care about until it gets fleshed out later on this year. Instead, all the Nier fans in the audience got a gut punch of excitement to make them fanboy/girl the gently caress out. A new Nier game, with the same director that made the first one so good, with the same composer that made the game's awesome music, and the weakest part (the gameplay) is being picked up by the person who made Metal Gear Goddamn Rising.

The gradual building of pure joy you can hear in most people's voices when they realize that yes, your nerd game is getting a sequel, and it is going to loving rule is just wonderful. :allears:

I gotta disagree. Nier's combat was actually good. But despite its amazing pedigree, I have a feeling the sequel is going to be awful -- especially since the end of the first game was pretty goddamn definitive: The Shadowlord was the only thing keeping the Shades sane, and you killed him. The Black Scrawl will eventually kill everyone, and that's only if they aren't slaughtered by insane Shades.

Nier is a great game because it actually hammers in just how hosed everything is.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Screaming Idiot posted:

I gotta disagree. Nier's combat was actually good. But despite its amazing pedigree, I have a feeling the sequel is going to be awful -- especially since the end of the first game was pretty goddamn definitive: The Shadowlord was the only thing keeping the Shades sane, and you killed him. The Black Scrawl will eventually kill everyone, and that's only if they aren't slaughtered by insane Shades.

Nier is a great game because it actually hammers in just how hosed everything is.

lol if anyone thinks that Nier 2 isn't literally going to be the Reese's peanut butter cup of video games.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I haven't played Nier, but doesn't 100% completion involve erasing yourself from the timestream so completely that you delete your save file? How does the Shadowlord die in that instance?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Which is why there's a lot of hints that Nier 2 might have an android cast with humanity dead.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm working on 100%ing Batman: Arkham Knight, and I just finished the side mission quest line for Two-Face, and since I took him to the police station after I finished the main quest line he had dialogue pertaining to Bruce Wayne and said something about how he gets the whole thing behind having a real side and one that you hide behind since "it wasn't Bruce Wayne" that did everything. I'm curious what the dialogue would be if I brought him in before the main story was done, but I bet it wouldn't be as good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, he just rants about how all the crime Batman could've stopped while chasing Two-Face.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

One of the best things about Yoko Taro as a developer is that he doesn't take on projects unless he has a personal investment in them. He wouldn't bother with Nier 2 unless he felt like it had a story worth telling.

Plus he suffers zero executive pressure because he's essentially a patron of some SE higher-up who must have a love for offbeat RPG's matched only by a violent hatred of children.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Another unexpected AK moment just happened: I'm tooling around in the Batmobile and see a group of militia gun thugs with a Riddler informant in the center of them. I barrel towards them at full speed and eject out about a quarter block away so I don't run them down. Expecting to start a fistfight the moment I hit the ground, I land slightly behind them and am surprised to see they didn't notice me ejecting and are unloading their guns into the now-dormant Batmobile. From there, it's a quick fear takedown to isolate the informant in style. Badass.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

FredMSloniker posted:

As in the actual real-life people got mad about vidya games and started yelling at you? Eesh.

Isn't this supposed to be a PVP-like game? Are people so mentally divided into us-vs-them that they can't even take the loyal opposition in good faith?

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Phobophilia posted:

Isn't this supposed to be a PVP-like game? Are people so mentally divided into us-vs-them that they can't even take the loyal opposition in good faith?

Iunno, I played that for a while and the opposition were nothing if not friendly. We had designated "nursery" zones where low-level players could go play, we'd shoot the poo poo on global chat and we'd even go meet at the pub every once in a while.

As for a little thing: In Wasteland 2, there's a goat farmer whose goats won't stop screaming. One of the screams is this one, of Goat Remix fame, which I found quite pleasing.

mediocre dad okay has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jun 26, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you leave the Batmobile alone long enough sometimes a random guy will just start loving with it. You're then given a button prompt that electrifies the Batmobile and sends the thug flying.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kulebri posted:

Iunno, I played that for a while and the opposition were nothing if not friendly. We had designated "nursery" zones where low-level players could go play, we'd shoot the poo poo on global chat and we'd even go meet at the pub every once in a while.

Reading the Games thread, it does seem like transgressions that they would never do around their peers. It seems cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the Arkham games (well, we aren't now, but we were a while ago), I've been replaying Arkham City because it's an awesome game and found a funny little gag in the challenge mode. One of the DLC maps is an absolutely massive survival arena color-commentated on by the Joker himself, and if you get to a certain rank in the fight he eventually joins in fighting you. If you knock him out, there's no more commentary for the rest of the round. :v:

edit: Also, if you have ever wanted to beat up Steve Blum and Nolan North over and over and over, you have found the right video game with which to do so.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Jun 26, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also, if you have ever wanted to beat up Steve Blum and Nolan North over and over and over, you have found the right video game with which to do so.

Nolan North actually voices The Penguin in Arkham City, so it's one of the few games where he goes to some effort to do a different voice :v:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Sleeveless posted:

Nolan North actually voices The Penguin in Arkham City, so it's one of the few games where he goes to some effort to do a different voice :v:

Nolan North actually has a really crazy good range, it's just that developers rarely make characters that aren't White Stubble Man so he doesn't get to flex it much. Check out all of the lines for the Dota characters he voices, for example.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Heavy Lobster posted:

Nolan North actually has a really crazy good range, it's just that developers rarely make characters that aren't White Stubble Man so he doesn't get to flex it much. Check out all of the lines for the Dota characters he voices, for example.

It's worth it just because it made him voicing the protagonist in Spec Ops be that much more effective on every level.

e. I kinda wish I hadn't clicked on your link because I was perfectly happy imagining the Bastion guy looked exactly like his character

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Jun 26, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FredMSloniker posted:

Yep. I've had people make loud-enough comments while in a public place but this time I was alone, getting dark and these two guys kinda lost it. I did my best power walk out of there.
The game is a ton of fun if your city has a good public transit system. You ride around, hack/repair everything you can in the small window of influence and sometimes meet fellow friendly agents.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sleeveless posted:

Speaking of The Penguin, his Arkham files indicate him as a "master of hand to hand combat" but he's punked every single time he's involved in a fight. :allears:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

Yep. I've had people make loud-enough comments while in a public place but this time I was alone, getting dark and these two guys kinda lost it. I did my best power walk out of there.
The game is a ton of fun if your city has a good public transit system. You ride around, hack/repair everything you can in the small window of influence and sometimes meet fellow friendly agents.

Wait, this is a real life thing? I'm confused.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wait, this is a real life thing? I'm confused.

It's a game, with two opposing forces that visit real-life locations and tap buttons on their phones. Tapping these buttons benefits their team. Some cities treat this as a friendly rivalry of sorts and the people playing the game will simply compete against each other, then go out for beers. Other people will shout harrassment at the other team if they realize they are nearby and tapping buttons on their phones.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And some places will harass their own team members for not taking the game seriously enough and/or not being all secret-agent about everything you do, as if it loving matters one iota.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elite dangerous features a ton of systems, nebulas etc based on real astronomical data so you can visit a bunch of real places that are hundreds or thousands of light years away. I recently kitted up a ship for exploration and went on my first journey about 30 jumps away, to the coalsack nebula. Should have picked a more exciting looking nebula but it's still really cool to know that it's real. The game represents the entire milky way but of course the places that haven't been astronomically observed are just filled in with randomly generated systems.

Another good one from the same journey:

The game has a ton of rare but real astronomical features like white dwarves, black holes and wolf-rayet stars. Haven't found any yet but I really want to go way out and find one sometime. I know a lot of players make the journey to saggitarius A*, the black hole in the middle of the milky way, which can take weeks of playing to reach.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

Slightly less gradual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u04ITuJUrlQ

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chip's was good, but this one was my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYRzTvrrP8

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

People watch that poo poo? Like somebody's so sad they have to watch a video about some idiot overreacting for the camera about video games?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is a thread about little details you appreciate in video games, man. Don't throw boulders in glass houses

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TontoCorazon posted:

People watch that poo poo? Like somebody's so sad they have to watch a video about some idiot overreacting for the camera about video games?

Were you around when the Star Wars trailer came out? There was so many reaction videos for it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sad lions posted:

There's a lot of disdain for the federation in it but the rebels are openly human supremacists.
It's more a subversion of the 'rebels are the good guys!'.

A little bit late, but everything that goes on in FTL paints the Federation as overall being pretty good guys, if facing structural issues. Their biggest flaws are just stuff like 'they can't actually handle this right now'.

You, however, are quite possibly an rear end in a top hat. There's a lot of really shady choices you can make in FTL, but none of them can be excused as 'just doing what the guys on high tell you to'.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of The Penguin, his Arkham files indicate him as a "master of hand to hand combat" but he's punked every single time he's involved in a fight. :allears:
Likewise, Hugo Strange's files say that he's in "perfect physical condition" but when Batman gets to him, he's pretty much helpless. The tapes were all great too but one of the best moments was when Strange asked Penguin whether he's heard of the term "Napoleon Complex."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A weakling