Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's mildly comforting that is a general Yakuza page, and not specifically for 5. Very mildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Dawglet posted:

Good to know it's still on track but I hope it doesn't get completely buried if it comes out in late fall. I'm mostly just worried about anything that lessens the chances of Yakuza 0 getting localized.

Yakuza 5 is a better game, I think, on balance.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

This post is really funny to me right now, just like drat.

To answer your question, I suggest you pick up "Nightwork: Sexuality, Pleasure, and Corporate Masculinity in a Tokyo Hostess Club", because even if was written in '94 it's still solid as gently caress. Skip the into btw and just go straight to the chapters that interest you unless you like reading about research methodology and the theoretical basis of her work; which probs isn't what you're after.

The answer is, spoiler alert, pretty deeply pathetic btw.

Hey, I have that book!

Ok, to rougly answer the original question in the basic, and note that this is slowly changing in Japan:

Picture your typical salaryman. Karoshi, 'death by (over)working,' isn't an unheard of thing. If he doesn't show up *at least* two hours early, and stay until the boss leaves, which is probably at least three hours after the notional work day ends, he's a useless slacker. He probably has an hour long train commute. Which means he probably spends two or three nights a week just sleeping in a coffin hotel.

His marriage may or may not have been 'arranged' in some sense, but it probably isn't about romance. That's not what marriage is for in Japan. If he does decide to go home, on any given night, he eats a supper that's four hours late, maybe peeks in on his sleeping kids, and crashes.

So, he goes to hostess clubs. Pretty young ladies light his cigarettes, pour his drinks, laugh at his jokes, pay attention to him, listen to his stories, and generally, make him feel like something other than what he is, which is a faceless, anonymous drudge in a society which deemphasizes the individual. Alcohol is involved, so it's official permission to relax one's 'face' and say/do things which would normally be socially forbidden. Note that in this context, this might mean he's allowed to say 'sometimes, I think my boss isn't perfect.' It's a business transaction, so a lot of the social ritual that's normally involved in getting to the 'relaxed date' stage can be bypassed.

It can also be a work thing; your boss takes you to the club. He shows his affluence and status by being known by name, having a bottle service, and being fawned over by management. He shows magnanimity and solicitude to his workers by bringing them, and (partially? I forget) funding the night. Everybody, after so much as one sip of booze, is then allowed to speak their mind. You can call your boss an rear end in a top hat, and in the morning, everybody will pretend that nobody can remember what was said, because they were all so drunk. Note, however, that even here, the salarymen are fulfilling obligation to their boss; bolstering his status by appearing as his entourage, and so on.

Hostess clubs are one of those things that don't make much sense without some knowledge of both the culture and the society. Nightwork is a good study of this specifically; anything by Boyd Lafayette De Mente is good for society and culture. 'Behind the Japanese Bow' is good for a start on the general layout of the social customs and structure. A lot of modern Japanese sensibility comes from the feudal era, and the concept of 'kirisute gomen,' which can translate as 'cut down, and walk away.' It refers to the idea that any Samurai could cut down any peasant for any reason. So, if you had a job, you did it right, every time. You followed the steps exactly, which leads to the idea of kata, which applies to everything in Japanese life. For example, there's a kata for exchanging business cards. You went with the group consensus. In western thought, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. In Japanese thought, the nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

He has a few books, "The Japanese Have A Word For It" and "Japan's Cultural Code Words" which take individual Japanese words and phrases, and examine the cultural, societal and historical basis and meanings behind them. Also, Bruce Fieler's 'Learning to Bow'. Finally, try archives of the Gaijin Chronicles, previously Gaijin Smash, and previously "I Am A Japanese School Teacher," written by a huge black dude who moved to Japan to teach high school English. http://gaijinchronicles.com/category/archive/

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I'd also point out that really wanting an attractive woman to act like she's into what you have to say and being willing to pay for it isn't like, totally unheard of in the West either, although it's not so formalized and front-and-center as the Japanese hostess club.

I also don't agree with people saying it's "pathetic" but I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I'd also point out that really wanting an attractive woman to act like she's into what you have to say and being willing to pay for it isn't like, totally unheard of in the West either, although it's not so formalized and front-and-center as the Japanese hostess club.

I also don't agree with people saying it's "pathetic" but I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

Hooters restaurant chain comes to mind as a Western example.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

This post is really funny to me right now, just like drat.

This is the first kickstarter I've ever backed and the excuse I needed to buy a PS4... my predictions were always lovely but I didn't think they were that bad hahaha
Anyway, thanks for the recommendations guys, I find the japanese culture to be fascinating so they will be great reading materials... specially the Gaijin Chronicles blog which is, naturally, more lighthearted writing.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Starting now and lasting for a week, both Yakuza 4 and Yakuza: Dead Souls are on sale for $6 each on PSN in North American region.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

$6 for a digital copy of Y4 is pretty sweet even though I have the disc.

edit: I started to record a playthrough of Yakuza 1 in case anyone is interested. I hope to play through them all before 5 is out on PSN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRA97mioUfg

Housh fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 24, 2015

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Yechezkel posted:

Starting now and lasting for a week, both Yakuza 4 and Yakuza: Dead Souls are on sale for $6 each on PSN in North American region.

This might be the excuse I was needing to buy dead souls. What's the install size? I still use the console stock 250 gb hdd so there's not much free space for more games.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Japanese Phone Box posted:

This might be the excuse I was needing to buy dead souls. What's the install size? I still use the console stock 250 gb hdd so there's not much free space for more games.

Dead Souls was WAY better than I thought it would be. It wasn't great or anything, but is absolutely worth playing. The controls are super wonky, but if you get used to them they actually work pretty well (the autoaim strafe shooting is pretty fun to use).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

People pay very large amounts of money to get into and then drunk at clubs and bars whose only function is to bring people (of both sexes and all sexualities) into proximity of other people who will either pretend to be, or actually be, way into them.

The Japanese have just approached the issue with the no-nonsense directness that our primarily European heritage has always taken great pains to obfuscate.

I would watch the documentary The Great Happiness Space though, especially since halfway through it you learn that the girls are giving handjobs and blowjobs to get the money to give pretty boys to pretend to be interested in them while the pretty boys in turn are dying of alcohol poisoning.

Really de-glamorizes the whole process. It's like watching sausage get made.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

precision posted:

People pay very large amounts of money to get into and then drunk at clubs and bars whose only function is to bring people (of both sexes and all sexualities) into proximity of other people who will either pretend to be, or actually be, way into them.

The Japanese have just approached the issue with the no-nonsense directness that our primarily European heritage has always taken great pains to obfuscate.
Now explain soaplands.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SubG posted:

Now explain soaplands.

What's hard to explain? A girl takes a bath with you and you fool around.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

What's hard to explain? A girl takes a bath with you and you fool around.
Precision was attempting to explain why going to a bar and paying someone to pretend to like you instead of going to a bar and, you know, making actual friends is somehow or other an example of glorious Nippon's delightful directness or something. I was asking for him to try to put the same spin on the rest of Japan's sex industry, which is more or less entirely built around skirting technicalities in the legal prohibition of sex and cloaking the process in formal euphamisms. Like soaplands.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I wonder how Kiryu wanted to describe soaplands to Haruka before she told him she knows.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good news Europe and Australia: you all also have sales on Yakuza games.

Both Yakuza 4 and Yakuza: Deal Souls are on sale for £6.40/€8.00/AU$9.98 each. Sales last for two weeks until 9 July.

Japanese Phone Box posted:

Listing says 20 GB. PS3 installations require double the free space, which would be make it around 40 GB of free space.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sony put up an interview with the devs of Yakuza 5 today. Really hoping for some release info soon.

https://youtu.be/tmq3HZbLDAI

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SubG posted:

Precision was attempting to explain why going to a bar and paying someone to pretend to like you instead of going to a bar and, you know, making actual friends is somehow or other an example of glorious Nippon's delightful directness or something. I was asking for him to try to put the same spin on the rest of Japan's sex industry, which is more or less entirely built around skirting technicalities in the legal prohibition of sex and cloaking the process in formal euphamisms. Like soaplands.

What are you taking about? Other than penetrative sex all this stuff is legal. It just feels good to have someone soapy rubbing their bodies all over you.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I wonder what's going to be the price, Metal Gear 5 is launching at $50 and that's a brand new game, if they want people to buy Yakuza 5 they should price it at $40 imo considering this is a 3 year old game launching in a last gen system.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

El Hefe posted:

I wonder what's going to be the price, Metal Gear 5 is launching at $50 and that's a brand new game, if they want people to buy Yakuza 5 they should price it at $40 imo considering this is a 3 year old game launching in a last gen system.

Counterpoint: Yakuza 5 is insanely good and has five, count 'em, five, different cities and people to play as. And also great minigames like taxi driver, Quake Except It's a Snowball Fight, race car driver, and mountain hunter.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

What are you taking about? Other than penetrative sex all this stuff is legal.
Well, it's not so much legal as it's not illegal. But whatever. That actually just emphasises the point. That is, despite the fact that it's a tolerated segment of the sex trade it's still culturally approached with indirection and euphemism. If you go to the Netherlands a legal whorehouse it's not a `soapland', it's a whorehouse. Display windows facing the street showing off the whores. That kind of thing. The Swiss have public facilities generally called `sex boxen' for street prostitutes to use. Germany does something similar.

I mean I don't give a poo poo and it's a silly goddamn derail, but I just don't see the Japanese as being any less circumspect and indirect about their sex trade, and things like hostess bars and soaplands just make them look more so to me.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
A soapland is pretty unambiguous about its purpose. I just don't see what you're getting at. I'm not sure what the difference is between being legal and "not illegal" either. If your issue is the name, there are two things to consider: 1) Japanese people do not have the same associations with English words as you do 2) even if they did soapland is a name invented because Turks were offended by the original name, Turkish bath.

In any case I think you're missing the point, which is that a hostess club, which is explicitly not a "fuzokuten," is more direct about its purpose than analogous Western institutions. Whether sex shops are or not is beside the point; they aren't really in the same category.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 26, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

A soapland is pretty unambiguous about its purpose. I just don't see what you're getting at.
Like I said it's a silly derail and I'm not going to drag it out any further, but I think it isn't at all unusual to have to explain things like soaplands and hostess bars to people who aren't familiar with Japan's sex trade, but nobody in human history has ever had to have an Amsterdam brothel explained to them.

I also think European laws on prostitution are way the gently caress more straightforward than Japan's---Japan's entire sex trade is more or less designed around the fact that vaginal intercourse is explicitly prohibited but the law is silent on everything else. If you look at Germany, where prostitution is explicitly legal, or in e.g. Norway where the law was recently changed to prohibit buying but not selling sex, it seems (to me anyway) like something that's much more structured around actually dealing with the issue directly rather than dancing carefully around it. But whatever.

In any case I think you're missing the point, which is that a hostess club, which is explicitly not a "fuzokuten," is more direct about its purpose than analogous Western institutions. Whether sex shops are or not is beside the point; they aren't really in the same category.
That's actually very much the point. Unless we're pretending for the purposes of this conversation that clients at hostess bars don't pay for `dates' outside the club, during which sex happens. Because you know, that's according-to-Hoyle prostitution. The fact that Japan pretends it isn't is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm still early in my second Yakuza playthrough and I forgot how bad the camera was. The fight sequences are still pretty awesome and the English dub is hilarious.

Haruka's first appearance :)

Kiryu's first cell phone :)

;)

Housh fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 1, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was just playing some Zero again and rush is the best fighting style yet in the series. I was doing the first fight with Kuze again (who is basically that style himself too) and it feels like an actually well designed thing in contrast to other Yakuza boss fights.

Also his music is like whoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKbkd4M_ZVk

edit:

Yakuza 5 is a better game, I think, on balance.
I agree. It's still the best...or maybe tied with Kenzan.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 1, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SubG posted:

Precision was attempting to explain why going to a bar and paying someone to pretend to like you instead of going to a bar and, you know, making actual friends is somehow or other an example of glorious Nippon's delightful directness or something.

No, I was saying that Japan's direct approach to the concept is weird to us because America's idea of the bar experience is derived from the European idea of the public house, or "pub". So in America we don't think it's weird to pay a $20 cover, and then $10 a drink, so that we can be around attractive people and loud music, even though at that point it bears no real resemblance to going to a pub, which people still do only they're called "dive bars" now.

The Japanese, being comically direct and literal about certain things, streamlined and mass produced the idea. At least when you drop $100 at a host club, you're guaranteed to have a hot guy talk to you and laugh with you. In America, you can drop $100 at a club night and leave without having exchanged more than two words with anyone.

It should have been extra clear that I wasn't praising Japan when I mentioned The Great Happiness Space, a documentary that should make anyone quite :stonklol: at just how hosed up the host/hostess club game is.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

precision posted:

No, I was saying that Japan's direct approach to the concept is weird to us because America's idea of the bar experience is derived from the European idea of the public house, or "pub". So in America we don't think it's weird to pay a $20 cover, and then $10 a drink, so that we can be around attractive people and loud music, even though at that point it bears no real resemblance to going to a pub, which people still do only they're called "dive bars" now.

The Japanese, being comically direct and literal about certain things, streamlined and mass produced the idea. At least when you drop $100 at a host club, you're guaranteed to have a hot guy talk to you and laugh with you. In America, you can drop $100 at a club night and leave without having exchanged more than two words with anyone.
I think going to a bar to hang out with your mates is one thing (and happens in places other than dive bars), going clubbing to dance with hot members of the appropriate sex is another, and hostess bars aren't either. Therefore the simple and what I would have assumed obvious reason hostess bars appear weird to Westerners is not, as you seem to be trying to say, because they're so familiar (but optimised or however you want to say it) but rather because they are not familiar at all. I'm also not sure why we should attempt to evaluate either going to bars or clubbing in terms of how well they reproduce the experience of ye olde European public house, as I imagine very few people in either kind of establishment are attempting historical reinactment. But whatever.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Holy poo poo Dead Souls owns. The Sixth Chairman's Woes migth be the best substory of the series hahah
Controls are weird but the game is fun after you adjust to the controls.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Project X Zone 2 for 3DS will feature Kazuma Kiryu & Goro Majima! It'll be out in NA by the end of this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuu4B4EQ1w

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

Project X Zone 2 for 3DS will feature Kazuma Kiryu & Goro Majima! It'll be out in NA by the end of this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuu4B4EQ1w
If it's like its predecessor it will be a snorefest as an actual game though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
All of the Namco/Capcom games were pretty trash to me yeah. The very first one on PS2 was a cool novelty due to the amount of artwork and remixed music and such if you're a fan of the more obscure games like Burning Soldier and stuff but Cross Edge, X Zone 1, etc. were pretty poor.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Project X Zone 2 is cute and all but when the heck does Yakuza 5 come out?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Project X Zone 2 is cute and all but when the heck does Yakuza 5 come out?

October to December most likely. Day 1 purchase for me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

gyrobot posted:

October to December most likely. Day 1 purchase for me.

Okay so between Tales of Zestiria, Fallout 4, and MGS V.

Nice I'll have no time to play.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gio Corsi and friends talk about Yakuza 5 again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjE-O8lpSA4

Part 1 if you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZXfRg314M

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Policenaut posted:

Gio Corsi and friends talk about Yakuza 5 again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjE-O8lpSA4

Part 1 if you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZXfRg314M

Give us a loving release date already. My balls are as blue as they are going to get.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yakuza 5 avatars have hit the US PSN store: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/all-ps3-avatars/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS3ALLAVATARS

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Oh, hello updated Saejima. So now my forums and PSN avatars match...just kinda need the game now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm pretty tempted to get one of the new Kiryus for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I had a buck fifty in my PSN wallet. I feel an avatar of Kiryu's tattoo was a good trade for a third of that amount.

• Locked thread