Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Duey posted:

I dislike Cognac in my Sazerac, but I agree with everything else there. I feel like the heavier Demerara syrup adds something extra to it.

I think I was futzing up the bitters now. From what I understand cognac was traditionally in sazeracs but I agree. I'm not a fan of the cognac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

You could also sqeeze in some lime for such a "cuban" kick, the drink would deserve its own name.

It's not authentic unless it's real sugar coke, Cuban rum, and some cocaine mixed in.

I'm going drinking this weekend. What are some good uncommon summer cocktails? I'm planning on ordering a gin hound already.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

50:50 Cognac and rye rocks for a Sazerac

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm going drinking this weekend. What are some good uncommon summer cocktails? I'm planning on ordering a gin hound already.

How uncommon are we talking? Caipirinhas are awesome.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's a good idea. This is the kind of place that would probably have a bottle of cachaca around somewhere. When I say uncommon, I mean the type of thing that would stump an average bartender, but not a good bartender.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The Hebug posted:

50:50 Cognac and rye rocks for a Sazerac

Hell yeah.

Or even 1.5 to .5 rye to cognac is great as well. The spicy, pepperyness that the rye brings is badass... But that well rounded, glorious richness that the cognac brings is so damned good as well :allears: Bring it the gently caress on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's a good idea. This is the kind of place that would probably have a bottle of cachaca around somewhere. When I say uncommon, I mean the type of thing that would stump an average bartender, but not a good bartender.
I don't live in a big town, and even here there are 2 places I can think of immediately where caipirinhas are a regular thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've never seen one on the menu except at a Brazilian restaurant. Maybe they are a common request, I just never ordered one anywhere else. I didn't like the one I got at the restaurant, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just shittily made. Not a very authentic restaurant.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm on my way to the store what's a nice punch recipe please 😬 ? I've got a decent amount of Campari and Aperol (and a shitload of wine? but don't necessarily need something using it...)at the house but that's about it

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp

goferchan posted:

I'm on my way to the store what's a nice punch recipe please 😬 ? I've got a decent amount of Campari and Aperol (and a shitload of wine? but don't necessarily need something using it...)at the house but that's about it

2 handles plastic bottle vodka
1 bottle everclear
30 pack of natural lite beer
2 bottles of juice (your choice but cranberry/OJ is always a good combo)
1 container of country time instant lemon-aid powder
small bag of sugar

mix well and serve cold

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/3NEI07H.jpg[/img]

e: whoah wrong thread

e2: oh wait no

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm making the bird punch and I think I can juice pineapple in a vitamix but I guess I'll find out. Any favorite recipes??

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Allantois posted:

Sazerac recipe from death & co

More complicated then it needs to be at home but I like the fact that they give brands
If you follow this at least you know it's your fault if it tastes like garbage and not the recipie.
There is an entire chapter on stirring technique so recipe is only half the story. You can use a sugar cube and water instead of the syrup, muddling it with bitters until dissolved before adding the rye to stir but it's a lot more work to make sure you get all the sugar dissolved.

VIEUX PONTARLIER ABSINTHE
1½ OUNCES RITTENHOUSE 100 RYE
½ OUNCE PIERRE FERRAND 1840 COGNAC
1 TEASPOON DEMERARA SYRUP (rich simple syrup using Demerara sugar)
4 DASHES PEYCHAUD’S BITTERS
1 DASH ANGOSTURA BITTERS
1 LEMON TWIST

Rinse a rocks glass with absinthe and dump. Stir the remaining ingredients (except the lemon twist) over ice, then strain into the glass. Squeeze the lemon twist over the drink and discard. No garnish.

A good recipe, but I'd make a couple of minor adjustments:

1) I've switched from an absinthe wash to putting absinthe in an atomizer and giving it a spritz or two into the glass. Using the atomizer, you never really have to worry about wasting the alcohol. The atomizer usually does a good job at covering the entire glass as well.
2) Also, since you're serving in a lowball with no ice, I'd also recommend chilling your serving glass by placing ice and water in the glass, and then go about mixing in a second glass. Once you're finished with the mixing portion, toss the water/ice from the first and start with the atomizer.
3) I like doing a flamed lemon peel rather than simply doing a twist. For a drink with so few ingredients, I think it's really important to bring out those essential oils.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
since my wife's pregnancy has led to fever tree being a staple in our house, I've been making a ton of gin bucks, swapping in different gin. I have some of Maine Distilling's gin which has a decidedly minty bend and it really asserts itself in the drink, which is all I can ask for in a drink that usually drowns out more subtle guns.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

grandpas drunk posted:

2 handles plastic bottle vodka
1 bottle everclear
30 pack of natural lite beer
2 bottles of juice (your choice but cranberry/OJ is always a good combo)
1 container of country time instant lemon-aid powder
small bag of sugar

mix well and serve cold

Ignore this man. Check my post history for lots of punch recipes (I'm on my phone so I can't search them as easily).

goferchan posted:

I'm making the bird punch and I think I can juice pineapple in a vitamix but I guess I'll find out. Any favorite recipes??

A Vitamix will make pineapple puree, and straining it will be impossible. I've developed a straightforward pineapple juicing method that's not too hard.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 30, 2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've never seen one on the menu except at a Brazilian restaurant. Maybe they are a common request, I just never ordered one anywhere else. I didn't like the one I got at the restaurant, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just shittily made. Not a very authentic restaurant.

They're really common. I couldn't buy decent cachaca recently because our local boozeatorium had sold out. Hot weather hit = everybody wants caipirinhas

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well in that case I might order something else. Maybe a Corpse Reviver #2?

If I don't like Maraschino cherries, should I still give an Aviation / Last Word a shot? Or maybe I'll just go with a Pimm's. I haven't had one of those in a while. Or maybe a Bronx.

This is why I have to ask. I look things up and I get way too many ideas to go through.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You mean you don't like real-deal maraschino cherries or the big ugly neon red things? Either way a Last Word is a really nice drink but I prefer the variations that don't use equal parts and go a little heavier on the gin

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also maraschino liqueur doesn't taste anything like cherries.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's a legit good brand of Cachaça? All I can ever find are 51 and Pitu, not sure they are bad necessarily though.

Might be a better question for the rum thread.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't like the big, neon red ones. I guess those aren't like real maraschino cherries or the liqueur?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Those are not food and don't buy them.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Maraschino is made from marasca cherry pits. The flavor is more nutty, and not at all like the fruit. (If you want that, try some Cherry Heering.)

You can get real maraschino cherries, too; they're marasca cherries soaked in maraschino. Unsurprisingly, the most commonly-available brand is Luxardo.

I don't know if you'll like maraschino or not, but you should definitely give it a try. The odds are good; not liking the red fruitcake cherries already demonstrates good taste. :)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

pgroce posted:

Maraschino is made from marasca cherry pits. The flavor is more nutty, and not at all like the fruit. (If you want that, try some Cherry Heering.)

You can get real maraschino cherries, too; they're marasca cherries soaked in maraschino. Unsurprisingly, the most commonly-available brand is Luxardo.

I don't know if you'll like maraschino or not, but you should definitely give it a try. The odds are good; not liking the red fruitcake cherries already demonstrates good taste. :)

I have a bottle of Cherry Heering and a bottle of Luxardo Maraschino. I never know what to make with either :(

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Singapore Slings for the Heering. Last / Final words for the Luxardo.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

What do u do with all this scotch help me gws I'm already drinking it neat but is this enough ???

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

social vegan posted:

What do u do with all this scotch help me gws I'm already drinking it neat but is this enough ???

angor posted:

I have a bottle of Cherry Heering

Have a goon meet where you make Blood & Sands together

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

goferchan posted:

i didn't like this 50 cent video game tho

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone ever use Fee Brothers falernum? Don't think I'm confident enough to make it myself.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Really falernum isn't that hard to make. I make Paul Clarke's Falernum #8 recipe.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah it takes some effort & probably a little grocery shopping but it's not really the kind of thing you can gently caress up if you follow a recipe

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007

goferchan posted:

Thank you for bringing this cocktail to my attention!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

social vegan posted:

Add a bit of water

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
NO NO THAT'S TOO MUCH YOU'VE RUINED IT!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Leopold Stotch posted:

Thank you for bringing this cocktail to my attention!

I've tried a few where you use like 3 parts of a smooth blended scotch to 1 part super peaty scotch and it's really nice

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

proof of concept posted:

NO NO THAT'S TOO MUCH YOU'VE RUINED IT!

Nah man, just fill that sucker to the brim with more scotch.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Scotch is the best cocktail

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Orange blossom syrup: where do I find it? I probably should have asked this a week or two ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Orange blossom syrup: where do I find it? I probably should have asked this a week or two ago.

Weird local Asian grocery store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You maybe orange blossom syrup by adding orange blossom water to 2:1 white simple syrup. You get orange blossom water at nice groceries, Indian markets, or on Amazon.