Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

If you like heavies with intricately modeled systems and have $90-120 to spare definitely get the PMDG 777.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I looked at the VATSim map today for the first time in forever and it seems super active. Is it more popular than it used to be or just my memory sucks?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Goetta posted:

I looked at the VATSim map today for the first time in forever and it seems super active. Is it more popular than it used to be or just my memory sucks?

Completely depends on the time of day and region. Working hours for whatever region you're looking at will be deader than dead. Wait until everyone (the kids) goes home from work (middle school) and it explodes.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Specifically, wait for the germans to get online

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how dedicated the Australian VATSIM people are. There's always a bunch of ATC but only like, 4 people flying planes in all of Australia. :allears:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

LordPants posted:

I love how dedicated the Australian VATSIM people are. There's always a bunch of ATC but only like, 4 people flying planes in all of Australia. :allears:

Maybe it's time to do some outback flying. Anything different compared to Canada?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

EvilJoven posted:

Maybe it's time to do some outback flying. Anything different compared to Canada?

Less moose, more poisonous, vicious literally everything.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also its mostly brown and flat once you leave the coast. The centre is more red though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

darth cookie posted:

Also its mostly brown and flat once you leave the coast. The centre is more red though.

Yeah this, unfortunately. Most of the major routes are pretty lame.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'd be curious to see if they mapped Uluru as a 3D object (try landing on that!) Or what they put where Pine Gap is. Also Far North Queensland and the Northern Territory should have some neat jungles to fly over.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
We did an Australia flight once as I recall, it was okay.

The New Zealand one was far more entertaining.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
I'm up to page 55 of this thread, so my apologies if this has been answered recently.
Firstly I've bought a copy of MS Flight and am having a blast going through the tutorials, but I saw this open source sim called "Flight Gear" which it looks like no one here plays, is it crap?

I'm using an old Logitech Attack3, but I'm finding the lack of a hat switch annoying, what would anyone recommend as the next step, a HOTAS setup or the Thrustmaster 16000m (which people here seem to like) with a different throttle control bought separately?

Eventually the plan is to take some flying lessons, it's been on my bucket list for too long, is the general consensus that practicing with light aircraft in a flight sim of any help. Do the skills learned transfer over at all?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

immelman posted:

I'm up to page 55 of this thread, so my apologies if this has been answered recently.
Firstly I've bought a copy of MS Flight and am having a blast going through the tutorials, but I saw this open source sim called "Flight Gear" which it looks like no one here plays, is it crap?

I'm using an old Logitech Attack3, but I'm finding the lack of a hat switch annoying, what would anyone recommend as the next step, a HOTAS setup or the Thrustmaster 16000m (which people here seem to like) with a different throttle control bought separately?

Eventually the plan is to take some flying lessons, it's been on my bucket list for too long, is the general consensus that practicing with light aircraft in a flight sim of any help. Do the skills learned transfer over at all?

Flight Gear is crap.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My advice is to spend money on an actual flight simulator like P3D or X-Plane and get a cheap stick if you want (Logistech 3D or T1600) and see how much you like it. Learn all the procedures and terminology for stuff and get on VATSim to get a sense for people throwing aviation terms at each other. If you are hooked at that point then go full HOTAS and/or flight school if you have gobs of money to spend on it.

There is a general aviation thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666859

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

immelman posted:

what are you using the hat switch for? POV? I recommend a trackIR first, and then HOTAS (as good a stick as you can afford). I can't play a flight sim without trackIR anymore. Though, if you're just really serious about flight school, then I guess track IR isn't super important because you'll be more focused on instrumentation than lining up attack runs on b17s, in that case I might be looking at those CH flight yokes and pedals

Above post is also a good point, Logitech 3Ds can be all you need for quite some time

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Goetta posted:

My advice is to spend money on an actual flight simulator like P3D or X-Plane and get a cheap stick if you want (Logistech 3D or T1600) and see how much you like it. Learn all the procedures and terminology for stuff and get on VATSim to get a sense for people throwing aviation terms at each other. If you are hooked at that point then go full HOTAS and/or flight school if you have gobs of money to spend on it.

There is a general aviation thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666859

Have No Fun With This Software it is.
I've registered at VATSIM, looking at the docs I have some reading to do.
Thanks for the link, I'll go and annoy those goons in a bit.
Thanks for the advice, I'll hold off on the sticks and TrackIR until I know better.

immelman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 26, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

immelman posted:

Flight sims (at least at plebeian home computer levels) are mostly only good for learning instrument flying. Primary flight training relies far too much on visual navigation and seat of your pants flying for things like FSX or XPlane to be of much use.

That changes a bit once you get to full motion simulators like redbirds or the giant ones that airlines use, but those are also unfathomably expensive.

That said, home sims are incredibly valuable for learning instrument flying, especially if you're on something like VATsim.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Haven't used Vatsim in a few years, did they ever release an updated client application, or is it still the same one from 1995?

I know when I last checked someone was 'working on one' , but it could be vaporware by now

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sappo569 posted:

Haven't used Vatsim in a few years, did they ever release an updated client application, or is it still the same one from 1995?

I know when I last checked someone was 'working on one' , but it could be vaporware by now

There is a new, basic pilot client called vPilot. Another more complex client is in the works by the community but I'm not sure how close it's getting to release.

The voice quality is still terrible.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

There is a new, basic pilot client called vPilot. Another more complex client is in the works by the community but I'm not sure how close it's getting to release.

The voice quality is still terrible.

Thanks

Oh god the voice quality, does it still use Roger Wilco as the back end?

It's usually compounded by controllers who think "the faster I talk the less chance of anyone noticing my mistakes"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's still RW based. It's bad. PilotEdge is a pay network with much better quality but for a limited geographical area.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Now that some of the old flight sim grognards are literally starting to die off maybe we'll start seeing some changes in the general flight sim community'.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Now that some of the old flight sim grognards are literally starting to die off maybe we'll start seeing some changes in the general flight sim community'.

Or it will shrink away and die off. One or the other.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Or it will shrink away and die off. One or the other.

Nah, flying planes is an easy thing to simulate and the appeal is obvious. We'll probably see a resurgence of casual sims at some point.

Also do not underestimate the German gamer's insatiable desire for all things with "Simulator" on the cover.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Forums Terrorist posted:

Nah, flying planes is an easy thing to simulate and the appeal is obvious. We'll probably see a resurgence of casual sims at some point.

Also do not underestimate the German gamer's insatiable desire for all things with "Simulator" on the cover.

True, but you have to wonder if they'll get fixated on "Cash Register Simulator" or "Lawn Simulator" or some such

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

After getting hooked on trading in Elite and my recent addiction to using my trackIR and pedals for Euro Truck Sim I've realized it isn't the lack of combat that keeping me from getting into the civilian aviation sims, its the lack of game. Someone please make a flight sim where I can start doing sightseeing tours or some poo poo in a lovely seaplane or single engine Cessna and grow into owning a air freight or airliner empire.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jarmak posted:

After getting hooked on trading in Elite and my recent addiction to using my trackIR and pedals for Euro Truck Sim I've realized it isn't the lack of combat that keeping me from getting into the civilian aviation sims, its the lack of game. Someone please make a flight sim where I can start doing sightseeing tours or some poo poo in a lovely seaplane or single engine Cessna and grow into owning a air freight or airliner empire.

There are addons for FSX but they're all kinda lovely to be quite honest.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Honestly, despite Take on Helicopters being lackluster, the game part of it is what kept me going.

I'd play the poo poo out of some more simulators with a game in them. Hell, some open ended "SAR flying" in Colorado would own.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Air Hauler 2 might be the solution if it ever gets released. The guy behind it seems to be putting a shitload of work into fleshing out the features compared to the first one, which was nothing much more than an Access db pulling some numbers from FSX really.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

We need a SimCopter remake

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

We need a SimCopter remake

Was that the one where one of the developers went rogue and swapped the official ending out with the images of the dudes kissing?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Yep!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

REX textures, softclouds and their weather engine all half price on Just Flight. http://www.justflight.com/category/rex-game-studios

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

also that new Tornado looks loving sexy

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Any resurgence of civilian flight sims is going to require software that doesn't:

a) have no "no fun" clauses
b) require you to buy the "game part" and other essential features from third parties
c) require you to spend additional potentially hundreds of dollars on making the game not look like the decade+ old game it that it is.
d) find an accessible and inviting middleground between spergsimming, which is not only hugely niche but extremely resource intensive to develop and arcade style games which are as popular as ever (warthunder sim actually does a pretty good job of this but a couple of issues, particularly its FtP model keeps a lot of the sim old guard disinterested).

ultimately though the biggest block to flight simulations becoming popular at a vaguely similar level to what it used to be is that they're typically not designed with any semblance of accessibility. Not only are they much, much more detailed than they used to be, making them harder to actually "play". they have hardware requirements. A gamepad is probably the best you can expect out of most people. Joysticks are very niche, relatively obscure hardware in this day and age that most shops don't even stock any more. It's not the '90s anymore where I remember, as a young child, shelves covered in all sorts of gaudy lit up joysticks proudly on display for trying out.

everyone basically knows all this poo poo anyway, but for the most part only the worst sperglords who genuinely love all the inane stuff are willing to enter such a deserted market, which largely dooms it to continued niche status in the first place.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 28, 2015

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Try FS Economy. It's a free online service that works with FSX, P3D and X-Plane. The system generates jobs between tens of thousands of airports and there are thousands of planes for you to rent / buy. The plugin automatically loads the proper payload and fuel to match the servers. Everything is persistent online so if you park your plane at one airport, it will still be there when you come back (assuming no one else has rented it).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Shanakin posted:

Any resurgence of civilian flight sims is going to require software that doesn't:

a) have no "no fun" clauses
b) require you to buy the "game part" and other essential features from third parties
c) require you to spend additional potentially hundreds of dollars on making the game not look like the decade+ old game it that it is.
d) find an accessible and inviting middleground between spergsimming, which is not only hugely niche but extremely resource intensive to develop and arcade style games which are as popular as ever (warthunder sim actually does a pretty good job of this but a couple of issues, particularly its FtP model keeps a lot of the sim old guard disinterested).

ultimately though the biggest block to flight simulations becoming popular at a vaguely similar level to what it used to be is that they're typically not designed with any semblance of accessibility. Not only are they much, much more detailed than they used to be, making them harder to actually "play". they have hardware requirements. A gamepad is probably the best you can expect out of most people. Joysticks are very niche, relatively obscure hardware in this day and age that most shops don't even stock any more. It's not the '90s anymore where I remember, as a young child, shelves covered in all sorts of gaudy lit up joysticks proudly on display for trying out.

everyone basically knows all this poo poo anyway, but for the most part only the worst sperglords who genuinely love all the inane stuff are willing to enter such a deserted market, which largely dooms it to continued niche status in the first place.

God this post just made me remember that best buy used to have an entire aisle devoted to joysticks.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Jarmak posted:

God this post just made me remember that best buy used to have an entire aisle devoted to joysticks.

Where I bought my Saitek X45

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Whatever happened to MS Flight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Whatever happened to MS Flight?

They quietly took it out back and shot it. Deservedly.