Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Pretty much a video compilation of Steven Universe scenes which could/should be album covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VadDF5uKJNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is my favorite video featuring an old Nick game show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDuyl23BN9A

The part with the kid who wanted to play football made me laugh out loud.
It's gotta be maddening watching kids suck at video games day after day as a job.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

raditts posted:

The part with the kid who wanted to play football made me laugh out loud.
It's gotta be maddening watching kids suck at video games day after day as a job.

It was maddening as a kid to see people be so lovely at Sonic. At the first loving level!! It made me so mad, I could do that poo poo in my sleep!!

Now I watch and enjoy poo poo like Game Grumps where people suck at video games for a living so there ya go :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Macaluso posted:

It was maddening as a kid to see people be so lovely at Sonic. At the first loving level!! It made me so mad, I could do that poo poo in my sleep!!

Now I watch and enjoy poo poo like Game Grumps where people suck at video games for a living so there ya go :v:

I've had to learn to hold my tongue when my kids want me to watch them play Mario and they walk straight into a goomba for the 100th time, so I understand that guy's pain.
Maybe I need to make a youtube channel for them, maybe that's the answer.

Mr Interweb posted:

Apologies if I'm missing something completely obvious, but what did that one kid get wrong when he answered Batman, Indiana Jones and Freddy Kreuger (at 1:24)?

What kind of childhood did you have where you see Freddy Krueger as a hero?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

Ohhhh. I misheard what he was asking. I thought he was just saying name 3 characters that appeared in that mini game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

Well why would they sell Freddy Krueger dolls and pajamas to little kids if he wasn't a good guy? :downs:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

drrockso20 posted:

from what I read online Nick Arcade actually ran pretty smoothly outside of the technical issues with their more involved homebrew games(helps that the host was apparently really good at handling the contestants both on-screen and off), indeed the only game show that seemed to regularly have any issues was Legends of The Hidden Temple, and that was more due to it being one of the hardest children's game shows to have ever existed(seriously compared to a lot of other game shows for kids it has an abysmal win ratio)

Pff, kids on LoTHT had it easy compared to kids who contested on the British kid's game show Knightmare, a show which only had 8 winning teams over a hundredish episodes. Knightmare is worth checking out if you've never seen it before, it combined at the time cutting edge blue screen technology with a sort of D&D motif for the corniest game show imaginable. A fair bit slower paced than the high-octane Aztec grope-fest that was Legends of the Hidden Temple, but still totally worth watching to see the team of adviser kid's completely dejected faces when their Dungeoneer gets destroyed every single episode by poorly designed blue screen challenges or bullshit 80's point and click videogame style logic puzzles.

Youtube has the whole series, here's Season one abridged.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I remember screaming at the television as a kid watching LotHT.

"How can you keep screwing up the Shrine of the Silver Monkey?! It's only three pieces!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

El Tortuga posted:

I remember screaming at the television as a kid watching LotHT.

"How can you keep screwing up the Shrine of the Silver Monkey?! It's only three pieces!"

I'm gonna be honest, even now as an adult understanding these are children I sitll don't understand how they kept screwing that up. It literally was 3 pieces!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

They still have Phineas and Ferb stuff for Disney Infinity. It's god-awful.

Then there's this...

Also, what Rocko Scientology joke? I googled but I couldn't find anything..
Who even plays Disney Infinity?

The Rocko Scientology joke was in the episode where they hold a yard sale to pay the pizza bill. Rocko asks, "How are we going to raise $500?" and Heffer says, "We can make a club like that Dieuretics guy." I did a double take when I saw it again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Who even plays Disney Infinity?

The Rocko Scientology joke was in the episode where they hold a yard sale to pay the pizza bill. Rocko asks, "How are we going to raise $500?" and Heffer says, "We can make a club like that Dieuretics guy." I did a double take when I saw it again.

Ah, I never caught that one.

Infinity isn't that bad of a game. Roommate got me into it. It's currently the only way to play Spider-Man on consoles that doesn't outright suck. It's really, really easy...but it doesn't suck.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Macaluso posted:

I'm gonna be honest, even now as an adult understanding these are children I sitll don't understand how they kept screwing that up. It literally was 3 pieces!

it was two pieces, really, since the bottom piece had the pipe thing to place the other two pieces on iirc

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The creator of We Bare Bears just posted more from the pilot episode on his Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9GauLt09zo

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Macaluso posted:

I think it's because they filmed like 5-6 episodes a day, so if you were one of the last contestants you were probably exhausted and couldn't think straight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gann Jerrod posted:

I think it's because they filmed like 5-6 episodes a day, so if you were one of the last contestants you were probably exhausted and couldn't think straight.

yeah I've heard the conditions in the contestant waiting room for LOTHT were absolutely abysmal

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

ThermoPhysical posted:

The creator of We Bare Bears just posted more from the pilot episode on his Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9GauLt09zo

I'd watch every episode if this was the theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVbBo6Re6jY

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gann Jerrod posted:

Exhaustion was apparently a big factor. Here's an interview a former contestant gave!

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/5/4064102/legends-of-the-hidden-temple-interview

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Getting back to the Avatar: TLA/Korra discussion, I do wonder how big a factor episode limits had on the quality of Korra. The first season was what, 12 episodes? The characters and story in TLA were able to develop nicely over the course of 20 episodes. Korra felt unbelievably rushed. From her introduction, to her relationship with Mako, to losing her powers and then taking down whoever the hell the bad guy was. Unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be), the show wasn't doing too hot in the ratings and by midseason, Nick told the creators that there wasn't going to be another season after this, so they just crammed in a bunch of poo poo and said gently caress it.

But even if so, that's only a part of the problem with LoK. Most of the main characters were okay, but Korra was annoying as hell, and didn't come off particularly likable. Some people may argue that she had Aang's carefree attitude, which is probably true, but unlike Aang, she came off as ten times more obnoxious. One of the biggest no-nos of any medium is that you can't have an unlikable main character.

Also, TLA was just generally directed way better than Korra. Compare the pilot episodes of each show. In TLA, there's this very nice flow to everything. For lack of a better description, it was directed more like a movie than an episode. There was just a lot of style to it, with the full theme playing right at the beginning(which pissed me off to no end that Nick would give that relatively lame, edited version considering it was one of the few good intro themes at the time, and frankly, since) as the camera slowly pans the environment to reveal Katara and Sokka fishing in their boat, as everything was silent. I know this may not sound like much but I just absolutely loved how it was handled. There was a certain feeling of seriousness to it. That it wasn't gonna be like most of the kids shows. Right from the start, you felt like this was gonna be a grand adventure.

None of that happened with Korra. The pilot in comparison, lacks the very carefully crafted style of TLA, and starts off all manic, goofy and crazy, as if it was just some typical episode. You never get a sense that there was gonna be any real major storyline that you'll find yourself giving a poo poo about. And in fact that was true. Compared to the way TLA built up the first season that commenced with that amazingly epic war between Admiral Zhao's armada and the Southern (or was it Northern?) Water tribe, Korra's was small potatoes. Not even in the same ballpark.

Then there was the whole issue with the setting. Again, TLA's ancient Chinese era universe was much more interesting to me than Korra's weird steampunk one. Though this is more of a personal preference I guess. I preferred the whole mystical, centuries old style world more often than technology based ones (especially those regarding steampunk). It just felt really strange to see the kinds of poo poo you saw in TLA in a more "modern" setting.

I will admit that I have not seen much beyond the first season of Korra, as that season really soured me, but I'm fairly confident that I would still be less impressed with it than TLA. The latter may not be perfect (hello season 3!), but it's more good than bad and when it's good it's really good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the "oh, Korra season 1 just didn't have enough time" allegation is silly because it implies that season one of ATLA was some perfectly conceived and executed thing when it was tonally incoherent and absolutely full of chaff episodes that didn't nothing to further the story or deepen the characters

Like Atla season 1 could've directly benefited from a restricted episode count, because with 20 it felt narratively loose and creatively unfocused a ton of the time

In all honestly Atla season 2 was the only season worthy of the hype the show, in general, gets (season 3 ends the show fairly badly and has that whole section of "zuko hangs out with exactly one person on team avatar" episodes that was mechanically a mess, season 1 is loose and Tonally jarring) and everyone ascribes its qualities to the season preceding and following it

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Korra did really well when it premiered. That's when they got another season. It went to poo poo during season 2. It had that animation thing, the lovely villain, and no advertising at all. Hell, I never knew when it aired until season 3 got yanked from tv. I guess I don't hate the show because I skipped season 2...

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 27, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rudoku posted:

Korra did really well when it premiered. That's when they got another season. It went to poo poo during season 2. It had that animation thing, the lovely villain, and no advertising at all. Hell, I never knew when it aired until season 3 got yanked from tv.

IIRC a lot of the goodwill that the beginning of the first season got was based on the fact that it seemed to be building up to something meaningful with the way that the conflict seemed to be based around class struggle and ableism and they seemed to be building some degree of ambiguity if not outright empathy around the villain and Korra seemed like an interesting protagonist. But then they wound up throwing it all away and having the villain just be unambiguously evil because reasons and somehow being less complex than a show aimed at a younger audience made a decade ago and Korra wound up being such a dull protagonist that the most memorable part of the entire series is the part where she's in a coma and completely absent.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Sleeveless posted:

Korra wound up being such a dull protagonist that the most memorable part of the entire series is the part where she's in a coma and completely absent.

I thought it was the murder-suicide dealie, which she was also absent from.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sleeveless posted:

IIRC a lot of the goodwill that the beginning of the first season got was based on the fact that it seemed to be building up to something meaningful with the way that the conflict seemed to be based around class struggle and ableism and they seemed to be building some degree of ambiguity if not outright empathy around the villain and Korra seemed like an interesting protagonist. But then they wound up throwing it all away and having the villain just be unambiguously evil because reasons and somehow being less complex than a show aimed at a younger audience made a decade ago and Korra wound up being such a dull protagonist that the most memorable part of the entire series is the part where she's in a coma and completely absent.

You remembered wrong. The overarching plot of Season 1 is a simple revenge plan that has fancy set dressings.

It's more or less the exact same structure as The Dark Knight Rises, though people do seem to lose their poo poo about that in ways I can't understand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because the twist makes both of those stores fundamentally less interesting. It's not hard to grasp.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrAristocrates posted:

Because the twist makes both of those stores fundamentally less interesting. It's not hard to grasp.

The level of bile directed against both properties suggests a fundamentally deeper reason then just "oh this is less interesting now".

In the case of Batman I honestly don't think most people understand the movie because they spend most of their time nitpicking at stuff like "how did Bruce get back from the Middle East so quickly".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, Korra definitely suffered from not giving any real time to develop characters, and each season was trying to get through an entire series' worth of a story arc because the makers of the show thought they weren't going to get another season. It's why the writers spent about a quarter of the first season just trying to set up a romantic relationship between Korra and Mako, but then they didn't know where to go from there and just tossed it out the next season.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Toxxupation posted:

I think the "oh, Korra season 1 just didn't have enough time" allegation is silly because it implies that season one of ATLA was some perfectly conceived and executed thing when it was tonally incoherent and absolutely full of chaff episodes that didn't nothing to further the story or deepen the characters

Like Atla season 1 could've directly benefited from a restricted episode count, because with 20 it felt narratively loose and creatively unfocused a ton of the time

In all honestly Atla season 2 was the only season worthy of the hype the show, in general, gets (season 3 ends the show fairly badly and has that whole section of "zuko hangs out with exactly one person on team avatar" episodes that was mechanically a mess, season 1 is loose and Tonally jarring) and everyone ascribes its qualities to the season preceding and following it

no series is perfect and no one needs to continually couch their praise with that caveat

atla had flaws but all in all told a strong and fun story, korra did not. MAYBE season 3 and 4 redeemed it somewhat but the first two seasons were like star wars prequels.

and like the star wars prequels they only had mike and brian and a couple others writing korra instead of a group of people like atla had to veto ideas like "maybe having a child launch himself at a soldier and fart directly in his face would be kind of stupid", i feel that contributed to korra's problems.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mr Interweb posted:

Getting back to the Avatar: TLA/Korra discussion, I do wonder how big a factor episode limits had on the quality of Korra. The first season was what, 12 episodes? The characters and story in TLA were able to develop nicely over the course of 20 episodes. Korra felt unbelievably rushed. From her introduction, to her relationship with Mako, to losing her powers and then taking down whoever the hell the bad guy was. Unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be), the show wasn't doing too hot in the ratings and by midseason, Nick told the creators that there wasn't going to be another season after this, so they just crammed in a bunch of poo poo and said gently caress it.
it's basically the opposite.

"Interview posted:

From discussions around the first season, it sounded like Korra grew from a miniseries into a regular series. Could you take advantage of that in Book Two? Knowing there would be more, are you aiming to craft a giant arc similar to The Last Airbender?Konietzko: It is a similar format to other TV shows, like 24: new season, new challenge, and new bad guy. Nickelodeon came to us at the end of 2009 with a twelve episode “mini-season” already green-lit for a new series. They let us do pretty much whatever we wanted with it, as long as it was in the Avatar universe and featured bending. Their one request was that each of the Books have its own contained arc, which was fine with Mike and me. I think it was important to the network because initially they didn’t know how many of these mini-seasons they would want to pick up! They wanted to test the waters. But they grew confident as we progressed and we were eventually lucky enough to get them to pick it up through Book Four before we even premiered Book One.

That said, I agree that the self-contained arcs didn't work as well for them, and especially not for season 1. In ATLA, yes, they screwed around with goofy jokey episodes sometimes, but they had 60 episodes right out of the gate. The first two seasons' villains were essentially mini-bosses, and by the time the actual conflict with the Fire Lord came into play, they'd already had years to slowly develop the characters and setting.

So cactus juice was okay in Avatar because they had time, while Korra mooning over Mako was irritating because half the season's over! You've got an insurrection to stop!

quote:

But even if so, that's only a part of the problem with LoK. Most of the main characters were okay, but Korra was annoying as hell, and didn't come off particularly likable. Some people may argue that she had Aang's carefree attitude, which is probably true, but unlike Aang, she came off as ten times more obnoxious.
Korra is explicitly Aang's opposite in most respects. He was calm and avoided conflict, she blows poo poo up without thinking. I can understand not liking her character, though.

quote:

Then there was the whole issue with the setting. Again, TLA's ancient Chinese era universe was much more interesting to me than Korra's weird steampunk one. Though this is more of a personal preference I guess. I preferred the whole mystical, centuries old style world more often than technology based ones (especially those regarding steampunk). It just felt really strange to see the kinds of poo poo you saw in TLA in a more "modern" setting.
I didn't mind the way they moved society forward in Korra, as their Roaring '20s aesthetic felt pretty authentic. However, I do agree that traditional fantasy seems under-used in kids' programming these days. Seems like just about any show that can break away from high school life or sci-fi really stands out.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 27, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

FronzelNeekburm posted:

From discussions around the first season, it sounded like Korra grew from a miniseries into a regular series. Could you take advantage of that in Book Two? Knowing there would be more, are you aiming to craft a giant arc similar to The Last Airbender?Konietzko: It is a similar format to other TV shows, like 24: new season, new challenge, and new bad guy. Nickelodeon came to us at the end of 2009 with a twelve episode “mini-season” already green-lit for a new series. They let us do pretty much whatever we wanted with it, as long as it was in the Avatar universe and featured bending. Their one request was that each of the Books have its own contained arc, which was fine with Mike and me. I think it was important to the network because initially they didn’t know how many of these mini-seasons they would want to pick up! They wanted to test the waters. But they grew confident as we progressed and we were eventually lucky enough to get them to pick it up through Book Four before we even premiered Book One.

If that was the case they should have just continued the series with the original characters. It was pretty much what Nickelodeon was asking without really saying it. Plus season arcs would probably be easier to do with characters who you've already developed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

computer parts posted:

The level of bile directed against both properties suggests a fundamentally deeper reason then just "oh this is less interesting now".

In the case of Batman I honestly don't think most people understand the movie because they spend most of their time nitpicking at stuff like "how did Bruce get back from the Middle East so quickly".

People also probably had very high expectations for both based on TLA and The Dark Knight.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

I remember once some kid dropped the head and a temple guard tossed it back up. Sucks they worked those kids to exhaustion lol

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

The problem is the message of "well social injustice sucks, but the commie-fascist lefties are worse" or "political extremism is bad kids, the truth is in the middle". It's not that bad of a message, it's not super offensive or anything, just incredibly boring and overdone. Especially when the show is built up to be some sort of insightful exploration of social justice, and when that's all the show really has going for it.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 28, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

icantfindaname posted:

Especially when the show is built up to be some sort of insightful exploration of social justice

As someone who has mixed feelings about LOK I really really disagree with this ever happening in reality. It was built up as, you know, a sequel to Avatar, the show with an Evil Overlord.

I'm also confused on why people ever thought a Mao figure would be the good guy. There's liberal stereotypes, and then there's historical reference in a franchise that's always revolved around them.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mycot posted:

As someone who has mixed feelings about LOK I really really disagree with this ever happening in reality. It was built up as, you know, a sequel to Avatar, the show with an Evil Overlord.

I'm also confused on why people ever thought a Mao figure would be the good guy. There's liberal stereotypes, and then there's historical reference in a franchise that's always revolved around them.

At least that's what the hype about the show focused on. Personally I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of the show in the first place, and I didn't get a whole lot in reality

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

The problem is the message of "well social injustice sucks, but the commie-fascist lefties are worse" or "political extremism is bad kids, the truth is in the middle".

Uh, if anything the message of Season 1 is that violent protests and attempted revolutions are required to achieve social progress. The non benders get exactly what they want at the end of S1.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Or maybe there is no underlying political message to a stupid comic book movie and you should take it for what it is.

Nah, that's too crazy. Everything is political, as Karl Rove famously said.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

I didn't know there was any hype about the original show until LoK was announced. I enjoyed ATLA, didn't really see a dip in quality through each season, but I can see how other people might not like it. I enjoyed the episodes where they're just going on adventures, it made them feel like kids and lightened the mood when it was needed. Plus it just made the characters more likeable. I wish LoK had more episodes, it could've made the whole thing feel more like an adventure rather than a political drama.

Y-Hat posted:

Or maybe there is no underlying political message to a stupid comic book movie and you should take it for what it is.

Nah, that's too crazy. Everything is political, as Karl Rove famously said.

I don't think there was an underlying political message, I think it was overt. What else could it be about? The main storyline featured a bunch of revolutionaries attempting to overthrow the government. Then the following seasons had more political stuff too, ATLA was all eastern philosophy and LoK was all western politics and religion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ElCondemn posted:

I don't think there was an underlying political message, I think it was overt. What else could it be about? The main storyline featured a bunch of revolutionaries attempting to overthrow the government. Then the following seasons had more political stuff too, ATLA was all eastern philosophy and LoK was all western politics and religion.

Everything in LoK was featured in Chinese history to one degree or another (obviously minus the overtly magic stuff).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

I don't think there was an underlying political message, I think it was overt.
Well la-di-friggin-da. From what I've heard, there were plenty of reasons to dislike Korra that weren't "this is displeasing to my identity politics."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

Everything in LoK was featured in Chinese history to one degree or another (obviously minus the overtly magic stuff).

I don't know much about Chinese history but it seemed to be mirroring the Chinese industrial age to me. The whole setting was the transition from feudal systems to more modern governments. I guess most of the storylines were about that transition and how different groups wanted to shape the country.

Y-Hat posted:

Well la-di-friggin-da. From what I've heard, there were plenty of reasons to dislike Korra that weren't "this is displeasing to my identity politics."

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with the politics, it's not at all polarizing in my opinion. Which I guess you could argue makes for a boring story.

Other than the bending not being as fun/interesting and Korra being kind of annoying, the real problem I think was just that there wasn't any heart in it. I never really felt like rooting for the characters, with ATLA I cared about the characters succeeding.