Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Xealot posted:

I don't really need Android for business reasons, though I definitely use Google's services (Chrome / Gmail / Gchat / Drive) for stuff. I have an iPhone 5C, and the apps on iOS for those are fairly adequate for my purposes.

It's not that I hate iOS, it's that conceptually I prefer Android. But a brand new $270 device dying within 2 years is kind of bullshit, and I don't know what other manufacturer in the Android space provides the same or similar build quality and reliability Apple does (I've had Apple devices last 5+ years.)

I'm aiming to spend ~$350, which is how much a 32gb iPad Mini 2 goes for. I was just wondering what else was out there I hadn't thought of.

FYI, there are frequently deals on eBay for iPad Mini 2, if you're fine checking slick deals once every day or two. New 64 GB with LTE for $330, which I jumped on, and new 128 GB with LTE for $370. Relevant link. Given the lack of super compelling Android tablets and that sale meaning I didn't have to pay full price to upgrade an iPad to a good amount of storage, that made it an easy decision for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xealot posted:

But a brand new $270 device dying within 2 years is kind of bullshit,
How is a two year old device "brand new"?

I wouldn't get too bothered over a device dying after two years. Sure I'd expect it to last longer, but sometimes it happens and if it's not endemic there's not much to say about it. I do, however, absolutely agree with your frustrations that Android tablets don't have stable multi-year product lines. The Galaxy Tab series might be the closest thing to that. But yes, the nice thing about Apple is their service and the relative stability of their product lines. An iPad mini from a few years ago is the same form factor and otherwise compatible with a modern iPad mini 3, save for upgraded guts and the added fingerprint scanner.

FWIW, the 32 GB iPad mini 2 is a pretty great all around device.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I am starting my doctorate in the Fall and need something to take lots of notes with. I currently have a Yoga 2 Pro but I don't want to lug it around as it feels a bit too large and heavy in tablet mode and drawing on the screen isn't great when in laptop mode. What's something light and small with good keyboard + pen support?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Surface 3?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The Surface 3 is pretty much the perfect tablet for use in higher education, although the Type Cover can be a little hit or miss.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How is a two year old device "brand new"?

It's not. It was $270 *when* brand new, was my meaning. Which isn't super premium pricing, but is expensive enough that I expected more.

Anyway, I went and got an iPad Mini 2. So, back to Apple for me, I guess.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I just picked up a Samsung note pro 12.2", it is the sexiest thing I have ever owned.

That is all.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
How's the stylus?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm thinking about picking up an 8-inch 4:3 tablet purely for reading comics in landscape mode and occasionally browsing the web. Would it be a huge mistake to get the older model HP Slate 8 Pro for $140?

The reviews are pretty positive. It's got a nice 1600x1200 screen, decent battery life, a micro SD slot so I can stick another 32 gigs in, and I like the design.

On the other hand, it uses a Tegra 4 and from what I understand Nvidia chipsets have issues in Android. I'm just not sure if that would affect me since I'd be using the default browser and something like Comic Rack. I'm not averse to spending more on an iPad mini 2, this just seemed like a potentially interesting option for almost half the price with better storage options.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I had an Nvidia shield tablet, with a tegra 4 chip in it, and it was fine for web browsing, comic reading, and light 2d gaming. I suspect if your needs are no greater than that the slate will be fine for you.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Cool, thanks. The price was so low I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something obvious and walking into a too-good-to-be-true situation.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was given a Samsung Tab A as a graduation present this week. I've never really used a tablet before, but so far at least the Awful App is doing well.

Two questions - and if this is the wrong thread please let me know.
1. I want a case. Best Buy has some 3rd party folding folio thing for $35, should I pick one up or is there a goon-approved case I can find online (I'm in Canada).
2. I broke my mp3 player. I won't be using it to listen to music and podcasts while walking / riding the bus for a few months, but in the meantime I thought I could use this tablet in my car. Is the built-in music player on this Android device worthwhile, or is there a better App out there? I'm not interested AT ALL in iTunes.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

2: Poweramp is pretty much the best, or it was.

Hello Obturator
Mar 12, 2015
Hey guys,

Currently weighing up between the Samsung Galaxy Tablet S 10.5 and the iPad Air 2, input would be very handy!

Basically, I'm leaning towards the Samsung due to quite a few factors.

- Haven't owned a Samsung/Android device, ever. So keen for a new experience.
- Waaaaay more customisable, the touchwhiz (touchwiz?) screen is a lot more engaging than the standard iOS home screen.
- Multitasking
- Marginally better pixel density and AMOLED screen (not a big factor due to high quality of the iPad, but still)
- Expandable memory
- Plays much better with third party software than Apple

The apple store is much more diverse with apps, which is one consideration. Ultimately I think that most of the apps I would use regularly are also available on android, but I guess having a wider catalog is always nice. My main concern that's holding me back is the common complaint that the Samsung can be laggy (especially Touchwiz), and I really love the sleek operation of the iPad. Will Nova launcher correct that lag? I'm aware the tablet can be rooted as well to try and optimize speeds. Lollipop happened for the S 10.5, so will that help correct responsiveness?

Any opinions would be excellent, thanks guys!

vxk5004
Oct 23, 2008
Has anyone here tried the Experia Z4? Or know when or in what stores it might be released in the US?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hello Obturator posted:

Hey guys,

Currently weighing up between the Samsung Galaxy Tablet S 10.5 and the iPad Air 2, input would be very handy!

Basically, I'm leaning towards the Samsung due to quite a few factors.

- Haven't owned a Samsung/Android device, ever. So keen for a new experience.
- Waaaaay more customisable, the touchwhiz (touchwiz?) screen is a lot more engaging than the standard iOS home screen.
- Multitasking
- Marginally better pixel density and AMOLED screen (not a big factor due to high quality of the iPad, but still)
- Expandable memory
- Plays much better with third party software than Apple

The apple store is much more diverse with apps, which is one consideration. Ultimately I think that most of the apps I would use regularly are also available on android, but I guess having a wider catalog is always nice. My main concern that's holding me back is the common complaint that the Samsung can be laggy (especially Touchwiz), and I really love the sleek operation of the iPad. Will Nova launcher correct that lag? I'm aware the tablet can be rooted as well to try and optimize speeds. Lollipop happened for the S 10.5, so will that help correct responsiveness?

Any opinions would be excellent, thanks guys!

You are correct that there are specific third party apps that do better for android, but overall i would recommend an iPad Air 2 over any android tab any time. Reasons are a combo of power and optimized app support. That's my opinion.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Xealot posted:

Welp, my Nexus 7 (2013) died and I'm pretty pissed. I'm in the market for a new tablet, but I don't know what to do about that. I've narrowed it down to two options: the Dell Venue 8 7000 ....

Wanted to add I am very happy with my Venue 8 7000... The screen is just absolutely beautiful. (it has a Sharp OLED screen) Haven't noticed any performance issues. Dell recently pushed 5.0.2 to it. And people on XDA figured out how to root it. Battery life is pretty good, get about a week on standby. 6-9 hours of actual use depending on what I am doing. Can't comment much on SD card as I don't use it, but it does have that ability.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

stevewm posted:

Wanted to add I am very happy with my Venue 8 7000... The screen is just absolutely beautiful. (it has a Sharp OLED screen) Haven't noticed any performance issues. Dell recently pushed 5.0.2 to it. And people on XDA figured out how to root it. Battery life is pretty good, get about a week on standby. 6-9 hours of actual use depending on what I am doing. Can't comment much on SD card as I don't use it, but it does have that ability.
Did you pay full price for it? This is what I thought about it.

butt dickus posted:

My co-worker got the Venue yesterday. It seemed slower than my 2013 Nexus 7, but that might have been because it was doing updates and stuff. The screen was crisp but oversaturated and the colors were noticeably off. Whites looked green when viewing straight ahead and the colors got worse as your viewing angle got less ideal. It was incredibly thin and very well built but the single bezel made it awkward to hold. The speaker was fairly loud. The cameras are awful but that's about what you'd expect from any tablet. It also had some garbage that was always in the notification bar like on LG phones and looked like it was designed by the people who make motherboard utilities. It's nice enough but I sure as hell wouldn't pay what they're asking.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
It's rumored that the Galaxy Tab S2 will be coming out this month; is it worth it to hold off on getting a Galaxy Tab S til that happens, hoping for a price decrease?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm buying some tablets for an Emergency Response client we've got (Ambulances) and they need a windows tablet that works pretty well and stable. Since they'll be in the ambulances and being handled by lots of different people, they need to be pretty well sturdy or have really sturdy cases to keep them safe. There's really no other requirements other than needing windows and being tough to break/crack/ect.

Price range is below $300 a tablet, nothing has to be that fancy. The tablet can be $300 and if it's got a $75 otter box or something that's fine too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Flameingblack posted:

I'm buying some tablets for an Emergency Response client we've got (Ambulances) and they need a windows tablet that works pretty well and stable. Since they'll be in the ambulances and being handled by lots of different people, they need to be pretty well sturdy or have really sturdy cases to keep them safe. There's really no other requirements other than needing windows and being tough to break/crack/ect.

Price range is below $300 a tablet, nothing has to be that fancy. The tablet can be $300 and if it's got a $75 otter box or something that's fine too.

You shouldn't be banking life safety on something that inexpensive. You want the Panasonic Toughbook which is out of your price range, but really, $300 for what you want is sort of a :smith: decision.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Girlfriend wants to buy a Samsung Tab S 10.5 32GB. They are $655 around here. Should we hold off or might as well go for it? Is there something better / newer for the same money coming soon?

Not at all interested in Apple products.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The tablet market is pretty dead so whatever you get you're gonna be stuck with for a while. After a year of my Samsung Tab Pro (rooted/ROM'd) I've had enough - It might be ok but if I were you I'd be looking at the Sony Z4/Dell venue 10 7000 for futureproofing.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I am a final year student with back problems. I need something super light that I can take around with me for reading practicioner texts, I am also hecka poor so any tablet would really need to last. I had an old toshiba tablet that lost manufacturer support 1 year and 1 week after I purchased it, that kind of poo poo is no good for me.

The books are also very very expensive ($600 each x many), so support being discontinued for the publisher's app/program or not being able to access the kindle store etc would be major issues for me. I have a kindle and a Note 2, but neither of these are flexible enough for the kind of off the cuff look up, note taking and bookmarking I need, plus support has been slow for non-pc/mac ebook versions of texts. Additionally, if possible it will would be helpful if it looked as least like a phone as possbile. Phone = loving around, laptop = serious business :argh:.

Also I'm going part time this Sept. so I will miss out on any student discounts if its purchased after July, so I don't really want to wait for the latest and greatest version unless the price cut would be greater than my discount.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Rolled Cabbage posted:

not being able to access the kindle store

Sounds like you want a kindle?

e: maybe you meant an app though I guess.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 22, 2015

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I am a final year student with back problems. I need something super light that I can take around with me for reading practicioner texts, I am also hecka poor so any tablet would really need to last. I had an old toshiba tablet that lost manufacturer support 1 year and 1 week after I purchased it, that kind of poo poo is no good for me.

The books are also very very expensive ($600 each x many), so support being discontinued for the publisher's app/program or not being able to access the kindle store etc would be major issues for me. I have a kindle and a Note 2, but neither of these are flexible enough for the kind of off the cuff look up, note taking and bookmarking I need, plus support has been slow for non-pc/mac ebook versions of texts. Additionally, if possible it will would be helpful if it looked as least like a phone as possbile. Phone = loving around, laptop = serious business :argh:.

Also I'm going part time this Sept. so I will miss out on any student discounts if its purchased after July, so I don't really want to wait for the latest and greatest version unless the price cut would be greater than my discount.

Nothing on the market does exactly what you want. Your criteria put you between an iPad and a Surface 3.

The iPad Air series are incredibly thin and light, and have very good manufacturer support. If developers target one mobile OS for their weird ebook software, it's almost certain to be iOS. The build quality is decent, and AppleCare is actually worth a drat as an extended warranty if you can't afford a failure.

On the other hand, it's still running a mobile OS; if ebook publishers are dragging their feet on non-desktop support, you're not going to be able to work around that with anything but shady PDFs. Note-taking support isn't great on the iPad either; you're limited to an onscreen keyboard, accessories that put it into the "might as well just buy a laptop" category, or crappy finger-emulating capacitive styluses.

The Surface 3 solves these problems; it runs full Windows, so you can drop into desktop mode and have the full-fat desktop version of whatever terrible software the textbook publishers make you run. It has a real pressure sensitive stylus, and fantastic OneNote integration.

But, the Surface is heavier, it's a bit more expensive than an official Apple refurb iPad, and Windows is at the back of the line for mobile/touch-specific development. If your texts aren't available as PDFs or Kindle versions, you can probably view them by screwing around with the stylus as a mouse, but you're not going to get swipe-to-turn-page gestures.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the Surface. It's a close thing, though, and if most of your books are available on iOS then it would probably tip to the iPad. No matter what, you're going to have to compromise.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm looking for an affordable Android tablet to replace my ancient Galaxy Tab. I'm eying the Acer Iconia Tab 8. I'd mainly use it for music and less demanding games (like Puzzle and Dragons). The Galaxy Tab could barely handle those two things, so something that could handle that without issues would be nice.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I have a quality-of-life question for you ipad users. I'm looking to get an ipad for the express use of lounging (playing games, browsing youtube, etc.) My question is: how cumbersome/uncomfortable is the full-sized ipad compared to the mini?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
My girlfriend wants a tablet to handwrite her notes on into a searchable format. Any functionality beyond that is a bonus, really. I showed her the Google handwriting app on my phone and she likes it, so maybe an Android is the best bet. Any suggestions? She wants something fairly inexpensive.

e:

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I have a quality-of-life question for you ipad users. I'm looking to get an ipad for the express use of lounging (playing games, browsing youtube, etc.) My question is: how cumbersome/uncomfortable is the full-sized ipad compared to the mini?

I can't speak for the full size, but the retina mini is nicely portable, but big enough to comfortably watch videos/netflix and play Hearthstone.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 29, 2015

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

I have a Nexus 10, a great tablet. Only downside is that it takes 35 days to charge...

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
How is the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 vs the older Galaxy Note 8.0 and 10.1 models? I'm seeing used 10.1 2014s for as low as $300 used, but those older models I'm seeing used/refurbished in the $150-$250 range.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I've kept willfully ignorant of the Android side of things, but now I'm in the mood to play around. I'm looking at the Acer Iconia One 7 B1-750 for ~$100 CAD. My questions are:

*Does Acer ship reasonably stock firmware?
*Do they provide software updates for a reasonable stretch of time?
*Will the performance be tolerable? Any downsides to Intel vs ARM?
*Is there anything obviously superior in that price range?

Thanks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

I've kept willfully ignorant of the Android side of things, but now I'm in the mood to play around. I'm looking at the Acer Iconia One 7 B1-750 for ~$100 CAD. My questions are:

*Does Acer ship reasonably stock firmware?
*Do they provide software updates for a reasonable stretch of time?
*Will the performance be tolerable? Any downsides to Intel vs ARM?
*Is there anything obviously superior in that price range?

Thanks.

Buy a used 2013 Nexus 7 if you want a small, cheap tablet. Do not buy a bottom of the barrel budget tablet from Acer and expect a good experience.

As a general rule of thumb for Android, anything made as a budget device is awful, and buying a 1-2 year old flagship model is better in basically every way. This has started to change with phones, as there are actual quality budget options (though the vast majority of "entry level" phones are still completely awful), but hasn't trickled up to tablets yet.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 30, 2015

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

dhamster posted:

My girlfriend wants a tablet to handwrite her notes on into a searchable format. Any functionality beyond that is a bonus, really. I showed her the Google handwriting app on my phone and she likes it, so maybe an Android is the best bet. Any suggestions? She wants something fairly inexpensive.

OneNote and a windows tablet is what you want for that. Surface 3 is great but many of the cheap er tablets ask also have fantastic handwriting recognition.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sri.Theo posted:

OneNote and a windows tablet is what you want for that. Surface 3 is great but many of the cheap er tablets ask also have fantastic handwriting recognition.

I've heard really good things about the Toshiba Encore Write 2. They have an 8 inch and 10 inch model.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
Looking for a tablet to keep me entertained on the bus and plane, and that I can draw on. I'm fairly sold on a Surface of some kind already, but maybe there are some Android tablets that I should consider? Ideally I'd want to be able to do some animation as well, are there any decent apps for basic 2d animation?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SebAndSeb posted:

that I can draw on. I'm fairly sold on a Surface or...

Surface or Samsung Note series, full stop.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
My school recently invested in a bunch of cheap Android tablets that are probably not very good but I guess I can't help that. Despite this, I was thinking of going with it and buying myself a cheaper Android tablet for myself and a Chromecast so I can hopefully actually use them for something. I'm not going to do a tonne with it outside of videos, run powerpoint, and keep a gradebook. I'd also probably let kids borrow it to work on projects. I saw the Galaxy Tab A and thought it would work alright as it comes with Office. Is this a terrible choice?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Hello all, I'm looking to get something for my toddler for learning apps/books/etc. Is there something in the 200 or under range that's the best of the bunch? I'd prefer android since its what I'm used to and I don't really want to mess with used iPads or anything.

One issue I have is that we're about to move soon and won't have internet access when that happens. I can visit relatives and borrow their WiFi for the initial setup and to download apps but I can't have something that will want to check in every day.

Oh, and what a good case for kid use? I don't want something that can't handle a drink or two spilled on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leucosia
Sep 29, 2014

The widow of Mausolus
I'm looking for a general use tablet that i can use mostly for entertainment. Pretty simple stuff like web browsing, streaming video, and some gaming. Mostly to pass the time on plane flights where i'm a bit tired from reading on a kindle and not in the mood to pull out my laptop.

Let's say I've got a soft budget of 350 but don't mind spending more for something with better hardware. What would you guys recommend i look into? I've got no preference of android over windows and i'll be leaving for Asia at the end of this month for several weeks so if you know of any Korean/Chinese tablets not available to the West feel free to recommend them and i'll check them out while i'm there.