Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

capability-based security

that's funny because this is exactly what larsson and co are building into xdg-app. they refer to it as "portals". but to some extent this is what modern unix looks like: a file descriptor is a capability, and the issuance of file descriptors from privileged services such as logind is how a lot of access to protected system resources (such as keyboards and gpus) is being handled now. hey, there's even a syscall to revoke them now.

you know all this far better than i do though so idk why you're saying it's the wrong approach?

btw i am volunteering to test any hidpi fixes you have going into mutter or gtk for 3.18 if you are interested, just point me to a git branch i can clone and build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lutomirski's complaint about snapshotting posix capabilities and attaching them to messages for authentication purposes seems to be a misunderstanding too. it's not intended as a primary authentication mechanicm, because posix caps are indeed broken for this purpose. normally you'd have a polkit prompt or whatever to authorize a reboot, but if the process making the call holds CAP_SYS_BOOT then it can force the system to reboot whether systemd likes it or not. so systemd might as well honor the request and perform a graceful shutdown.

snapshotting the command line and attaching that to a message is also an iffy thing to do (since it's read out of process memory that the process itself can replace with hostile data) but then so is reading /proc/*/cmdline.

can lovely programs use these primitives incorrectly and introduce security holes? yes, but they can also introduce bugs by improperly allocating memory or trying to make an incorrect custom riced up sync primitive based on futexes. the important thing is that kdbus doesn't add anything new here: callees already can (and do) read all of this poo poo from caller /proc entries in a messy and racy way.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Portals are different. Portals aren't capability-based security at all. Portals are going to be singletons. So you have a "file opener" singleton provided by the system. Perhaps we'll add Dropbox integration to it.

Or maybe it's a "photo picker" singleton, and we expose a system API for people to add a Picasa tab in that picker. We haven't designed the extensibility mechanism for the portals yet, because we're still working on getting the system-level portals done. What if, in order to access Picasa, Google asks for OAuth2? We could show a button and pop open a little OAuth2 login window.

Capabilities are too strict: either you have the object, and you have access up-front, or you don't. They don't allow for design scenarios where menu items are grayed out, or things are only checked at the last minute when you switch to the tab. In order to display that dialog, we would need to request every capability up-front and see what fails. That leaves for a poor experience.

Portals also only always pop-up in response to user action. Portals should never pop up out of the blue.

Andy and Kenton are starting with a security model and trying to tack on UI. We're starting with a UI and a design that makes user flow explicit and then fitting a security model in that.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are still people paying money to backport patches to :
  • kernel 2.6.9 (october 2004)
  • gnome 2.8 (september 2004)
  • gtk 1.2
  • and many more!

On work desktop:

uname -r
2.6.18-164.el5

Not the same as what you said but similar enough.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

And that "Dropbox" vs. "filesystem" file opener API? Why does the user have to pick up-front? Why can't we show a file picker with multiple providers in there, with tabs or something, so the user doesn't have to realize they chose the wrong one?

you mean like in iOS?

some aspects of the OS X and iOS security model are capability-based and work quite well. for example, an app gets a security-scoped bookmark "URL" when it's asked to open a file, that comes with a capability to open just the file it resolves to, not others. (and any associated files, via an association mechanism to allow for eg journal files or links to media from project files.)

but other aspects are based less on privilege separation rather than capabilities. many APIs are a layer over some form of fast local IPC with an agent or daemon, whether per-user or system-wide. the IPC is stamped with info about its initiator, so the agent or daemon can check whether the initiating process has the right to use the API in the way being asked.

supporting techniques like these is one reason having fast kernel-level IPC is so important on a modern system. it can't be done sufficiently securely in user code.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ryde posted:

On work desktop:

uname -r
2.6.18-164.el5

Not the same as what you said but similar enough.

i was talking about rhel 4, which dies its true death no sooner than 2017

you're on rhel 5. that 2.6.18 kernel will still be patched in 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that reminds me, is NetBSD on SPARC binary-compatible with SunOS? are there any major missing features in NetBSD relative to SunOS 4.1.3?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

that reminds me, is NetBSD on SPARC binary-compatible with SunOS? are there any major missing features in NetBSD relative to SunOS 4.1.3?

i'm not sure whether you're loving with me so here goes

netbsd can run some sunos binaries, yes. i never got it to run a non-trivial app because you end up needing so many libraries it's easier to just boot sunos

netbsd's sparc32 port is a lot newer and has more features than sunos, but you're missing proprietary hardware drivers. this mostly matters for graphics and network cards

the last time i had a 32 bit sparc in my house i ran sunos on it, because what is the point of running a 2015 OS on a 1995 piece of hardware

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the last time i had a 32 bit sparc in my house i ran sunos on it, because what is the point of running a 2015 OS on a 1995 piece of hardware

av/ post combo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

supposedly the latest Linux on the desktop was to have shipped on Friday, courtesy Suspicious Dish et al

did that happen? should we expect our boxes next week? is it something you consider 1.0 or still pre-release? (legit looking forward to taking a look at it)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
If you mean the Endless computer, they were all delivered to Shipwire on Tuesday. I don't have any status updates from Shipwire (not on the logistics side of things!) but I can ask to see how that's going tomorrow, if you want.

At this point, we consider it stable enough to be a 1.0. Actually, the version shipped on devices is 2.3.1. The latest release is 2.3.3, but the devices weren't flashed in time. After you set them up and connect to the internet, 2.3.3 should be automatically downloaded and installed.

We are already hard at work on 2.4 and 2.5, which should be delivered as free updates soon.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

you guys should showcase some of the unique apps you're packaging in some blog posts or something

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
We should do a lot of things.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my consulting fee is in the mail

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

were only able to get off RHEL5 at work because Java 7 is end of life and Java 8 isn't supported/packaged for it

looking forward to rhel6 for another 5 years

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
oh cool my request for 12 vms got approved

quote:

Hi ahmeni,

Please be aware I have been assigned your service request # CRQ0000042069
Should I have any questions or need any clarification in regards to your request I may contact you to discuss.
I have set an Expected Date of Completion for your request as: 17/07/15

:smithcloud:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

ahmeni posted:

were only able to get off RHEL5 at work because Java 7 is end of life and Java 8 isn't supported/packaged for it

Ok, so I don't work in enterprise and while I kind of maybe sorta get why you want to use super-stable non-changing systems on servers (although why workstations?), why do you upgrade to the second-most-ancient when using the most-ancient becomes untenable? Why not upgrade to the most recent promised-supported-forever version (RHEL 7 it seems), since you have to put in the migration effort anyway?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ahmeni posted:

jesus christ

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Athas posted:

Ok, so I don't work in enterprise and while I kind of maybe sorta get why you want to use super-stable non-changing systems on servers (although why workstations?), why do you upgrade to the second-most-ancient when using the most-ancient becomes untenable? Why not upgrade to the most recent promised-supported-forever version (RHEL 7 it seems), since you have to put in the migration effort anyway?

it's because you touch yourself at night, op. you think nobody knows, but the sysadmins always know.

(actually it's because you want to minimise the amount of change at a time. upgrading from rhel 4 to rhel 7 means that roughly 98.3% of the system software has been rewritten from scratch at least twice by the cadt and its anyone's guess how that will affect your lovely in house apps that you aren't even sure you'll be able to compile again now that the only person who knew how they work retired)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
it's because they finally added rhel 6 to the soe in May this year

we've got AWS though! all I have to do is fill out the same spreadsheet, justify my architecture requirement and wait for an engineer to manually spin up my boxes in a few weeks :yaycloud:

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 29, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ahmeni posted:

little do you know that date is big endian

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

ahmeni posted:

When I've needed to run ancient RHEL on a workstation, I've found that installing Nix side-by-side with the OS (kind of like you do with Brew on OSX) saves a ton of pain by giving you easy access to recent browsers, development tools, WMs, etc. without interfering with the rest of the system at all.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would you be installing Linux on a workstation, let alone a browser or other user tools.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
if your workstation is a newer linux than the servers you're going to dev against newer versions of the libraries included on the server because devs are idiots

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Shaggar posted:

why would you be installing Linux on a workstation, let alone a browser or other user tools.

in order to do work

although these days we mostly have windows on the workstations and just have vnc permanently open to a desktop linux running on a server, because apparently that saves money somehow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what "work" would you be doing in a Linux?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
basically everything that isn't email, web browsing, and occasionally reluctantly doing something in office because some technophobe is so terrified of pdfs that i can't just use latex

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

That's our Shaggar!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shaggar posted:

lol you still have the same schtick 4 years later? so glad you are a real human being somewhere rofl

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

let me just package this linux app for you *squats over an half empty can of pringles*

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Breakfast All Day posted:

let me just package this linux app for you *squats over an half empty can of pringles*

Don't spoil the end of game of thrones

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lennart pottering thinks that using google ntp servers that google says they shouldn't use ("systemd should not default to using time{1,2,3,4}.google.com.") is better than claiming to be a "vendor" to the ntp pool

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437

quote:

poettering commented 15 hours ago
Its up to the distros to register an ntp pool product. systemd is not a product. Its just some toolset people can build products from. We cannot use the ntp pool hence. If the googl time servers

quote:

poettering commented 14 hours ago
oops. Somehow github lost my explanation For closing the issue i posted here which i typed on the phone.

Coreos should register its own product with the pool and use that. Systemd upstream is not a product, we shouldnt register it as one. distributions such as fedora have their own pool, debian has, ubuntu ha, arch hass. if downstream dont set the correct pool for their product then thats something to fix downstream.

Id be willing to take a patch that adds a big warning to configure if the default ntp server to use is not set when invoking configure. People who ignore that warning are then on their own.

quote:

poettering commented 14 hours ago
Even if the google servers dont provide time that is correct, its good enough to run testcases again. Products however of course shouldnt use it.

the ntp pool made very clear we cannot use them. As i read what is written above google just says the servers are crap but doesnt explicitly deny us to use them. Which is why id like to leave them in place because they are at least googd enough for testing purposes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

so loving future posted:

lol you still have the same schtick 4 years later? so glad you are a real human being somewhere rofl

yeah I cant believe people are still trying to shoehorn Linux into places it doesn't belong

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

yeah I cant believe people are still trying to shoehorn Linux into places it doesn't belong

like the desktop, lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
im going to shoehorn my linux onto your phone and theres nothing you can do about it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lennart pottering thinks that using google ntp servers that google says they shouldn't use ("systemd should not default to using time{1,2,3,4}.google.com.") is better than claiming to be a "vendor" to the ntp pool

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437

you left out the rest of his posts:

quote:

poettering commented 13 hours ago

systemd is not an app you install. Its something you have adjust to your needs before you can use it in a product. And the products should do the right thing and register as a vendor with the ntp pool. Its not systemd's job to do that for them and take the responsibility for it. We are an open source project, with no legal entity behind it and as such we are not the ones who can take responsibilty and not the ones who register as a vendor at the pool.

lovely servers as default are better than none. If you let me know a set of servers that are openly accessible, that do not require registration as a vendor or product and are better then the lovely servers then let me know and we can switch over... but right now the ntp pool is nothing we can use since the non-vendored pool is explicitly forbiddrn for us and the vendored pools dont apply to us since we arent a vendor.

let me underline again that this is all really a non-issue for pretty much all distributions since they have their own pools anyway and the systemd default is hence pretty much irrelevant for them

quote:

poettering commented 13 hours ago

@crrodriguez we shouldnt merge a patch that is expressly againstvwhat the ntp pooL folks allow.

@marineaum please do not register a pool under the systemd name. We cannot take responsibility for anything like that. we have no legal entity, we are not a vendor.

quote:

poettering commented 5 hours ago

I have now deleted a couple of hate-filled messages here and locked the issue. I'll unlock it again in a few days when the reddit peanut gallery lost interest.

but thanks for reposting reddit drama

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Berkshire Hunts posted:

if your workstation is a newer linux than the servers you're going to dev against newer versions of the libraries included on the server because devs are idiots

The most important thing is that you are able to easily copy and paste from your 'good' environment to your dev environment

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

The most important thing is that you are able to easily copy and paste from your 'good' environment to your dev environment

Unfortunately if you use Linux you can't even copy from your good environment to your good environment.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
unlike in good operation systems such as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

you left out the rest of his posts:

but thanks for reposting reddit drama

my favorite part is that lennart would rather use servers he's expressly told to not use than just ask the ntp pool if they can use theirs even if they're not a "vendor" or "distribution"

it's okay to admit you made a wrong decision lennart, your whole reality won't come crumbling down

otoh developing software to use computer resources you've been told not to use is unethical if not illegal