Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pleads posted:

I have literally never had a muscle cramp while playing hockey.

Sometimes my tummy aches if I drink too much water too fast on the bench, I guess.

You realize, of course, that this means you'll be getting a bad cramp in your next game?

I've only been getting a small cramp in my side the last 2 games and I put that on two really bad warm ups pre game: one where I was late and another where I flew 3000 miles, had my connection delayed/cancelled 4 times, and only slept about 35 minutes in 32 hours to go play a game an hour after landing.. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Eat more potassium suckers.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Don't take clappers from the point. Just feather that poo poo in there and let one of your forwards clean it up. A point is a point. :doncherry:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Nitramster posted:

Eat more potassium suckers.

I hate bananas and banana-flavored everything. :colbert:
[/hot take]

ed: [/fruit take]

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 27, 2015

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
You're all dumb and probably don't eat three pregame potassium packed potatoes while in a deprivation tank like a real pro

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Welp looks like I've injured a tendon in my right bicep and my right rotator cuff. Gave it a two week break and just simply at work and set them off again lifting some stuff above waist level. Doctor's appointment booked but it may be no hockey for 2 months or so. Or proper working out either. Ugh.

(I'll probably keep going to power skating as that does not require pucks and shouldn't be setting off my injuries)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Don't take clappers from the point.

ERROR

ERROR

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

doctor 7 posted:

Welp looks like I've injured a tendon in my right bicep and my right rotator cuff. Gave it a two week break and just simply at work and set them off again lifting some stuff above waist level. Doctor's appointment booked but it may be no hockey for 2 months or so. Or proper working out either. Ugh.

(I'll probably keep going to power skating as that does not require pucks and shouldn't be setting off my injuries)

I kept training/playing on mine other than about a 1-month break, because I am a moron. I strongly recommend PT and working on your scapular mobility. There is a statistical correlation between bicep tendonitis and tennis elbow, too, so you might want to head that off at the pass if you can.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Pregame beer solves all of your cramping problems.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bradf0rd posted:

Pregame beer solves all of your cramping problems.

That's the answer to everything. I did stick and puck yesterday at 9:30 in the morning and felt weird not drinking a beer while getting ready.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

did you leave it at home or something?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I kept training/playing on mine other than about a 1-month break, because I am a moron. I strongly recommend PT and working on your scapular mobility. There is a statistical correlation between bicep tendonitis and tennis elbow, too, so you might want to head that off at the pass if you can.

Ugh, how long was your recovery? I dropped a bunch of weight a while ago so I'm not used to this whole "injury from being fit activity" stuff.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

doctor 7 posted:

Ugh, how long was your recovery? I dropped a bunch of weight a while ago so I'm not used to this whole "injury from being fit activity" stuff.

Well, I am 42. But it was quite a few months before it stopped hurting altogether, maybe 6-7. Figuring out the right stretching/mobilization for me helped a lot.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Lost 8-2 tonight. We had 8 skaters, and I must have been on the ice for 38-40 minutes out of 45. Felt surprisingly good actually. I did plenty of coasting, so don't get me wrong it wasn't like normal game pace.

Assisted on both goals. Also, I scrapped the Bauer Concept fishbowl tonight for a cage, because it's just been way too warm and humid to use. I got the Bauer one with the white paint on the inside, and I adjusted to it surprisingly well. It's staying on for the foreseeable future, and it was especially nice to be able to breathe again. Maybe that's why I was able to skate so long.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
My main thing with the cage is that I can't see the puck when it's close to my body and I end up missing passes that should be easy. But I'm not great at catching passes even when I can see them, so whatever.

Last night I blocked two shots in the same shift, during a penalty kill, the first one hit me in the shin pad but was hard enough that it still hurts to walk a little bit. No sir, I do not want to be a goalie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I skated a 7am game with 10 players, then a 6pm game with 8 players. The first game wasn't too bad because I played defense. The second game was bad because I played forward. It was hard to walk up the stairs at work this morning.

Summer hours must be in full effect because everyone I talked who had a game over the weekend said they had trouble filling the bench. Next weekend's probably going to be even worse.

After my evening game we stayed around for a bit, drinking beer watching an upper tier game. One of the teams had 6 skaters and even though they lost they still looked fast. Why can't I be young and good at hockey. :argh:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
There's a women's hockey tournament in a couple of weeks, just far enough away that driving back for normal league games is impractical, and yet for some reason the women's league scheduled normal games during the tournament. We all got a desperate email from one of the captains last night looking for subs because the scheduled teams have a combined total of 3 players available for that ice slot.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's my minimum spend looking like on a set of used goalie pads? I think I'm going to switch to goalie next season because there is a dearth of netminders in my league.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vargatron posted:

What's my minimum spend looking like on a set of used goalie pads? I think I'm going to switch to goalie next season because there is a dearth of netminders in my league.
If you want stuff that's not a million years old, probably like 1000-1200 bucks. I'd strongly consider buying the mask new. Also don't forget skates.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

There's a women's hockey tournament in a couple of weeks, just far enough away that driving back for normal league games is impractical, and yet for some reason the women's league scheduled normal games during the tournament. We all got a desperate email from one of the captains last night looking for subs because the scheduled teams have a combined total of 3 players available for that ice slot.

Vacaville? My girlfriend got invited to play the same tournament. We have other stuff going on, so it's not going to work out though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

shyduck posted:

If you want stuff that's not a million years old, probably like 1000-1200 bucks. I'd strongly consider buying the mask new. Also don't forget skates.

Yeah, I'm going to buy stuff piecemeal until I have a full set due to the expense. Based on the reading I've done, I definitely don't want to skip out on a good helmet. I'd rather pay $600 than get concussed and eating through a straw the rest of my life.

Does the stick curve make that much of a difference in a goalie stick? I'm going to play full right which hopefully won't impact gear availability too much.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Last night I blocked two shots in the same shift, during a penalty kill, the first one hit me in the shin pad but was hard enough that it still hurts to walk a little bit. No sir, I do not want to be a goalie.

You maybe should consider new shin pads, if it hits you in the plastic you shouldn't feel anything really, let alone any sort of lasting pain.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Vargatron posted:

Come join us crazy people. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2759111&pagenumber=289#lastpost :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My shin guards are so good at their job the only hint I get that i was hit is the "thud" sound when the puck deflects off.

Now if only the people I play against would be nice enough to reliably hit my shins, instead of some random weak point.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I'm still using these:

Which are I think 15 years old at this point, I haven't been using them for 15 years mind you, but they are the same ones I got in my 2nd year of bantams.

Both knee caps have cracks in them, and the gel pads on the interior knee bit dried out long ago, but they are still strong as ever.

D C fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 29, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Vacaville? My girlfriend got invited to play the same tournament. We have other stuff going on, so it's not going to work out though.

Yup. I'm going this year. I'm still waffling on staying up there vs. coming home, which probably means I can't get a hotel room anymore anyway.

D C posted:

You maybe should consider new shin pads, if it hits you in the plastic you shouldn't feel anything really, let alone any sort of lasting pain.

I probably should, this is the 2nd or 3rd bad bruise I've gotten through them in the last year. For years I never played in games where decent shots were happening in my vicinity, so it didn't matter that they were crappy. Their only real job was cushioning my knees when I fell over.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

D C posted:

I'm still using these:

Which are I think 15 years old at this point, I haven't been using them for 15 years mind you, but they are the same ones I got in my 2nd year of bantams.

Both knee caps have cracks in them, and the gel pads on the interior knee bit dried out long ago, but they are still strong as ever.

Haha. I have almost those exact same pads except they're called Stealth S7. They're newer, of course, and have a few differences, but its hilarious how similar the molding is.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I replaced my shins just this year too. My 15 year old Hespelers were holding together literally by a thread in some spots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure if this got linked here before but it's related to shin guard chat:

http://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Citation/2002/01000/Injuries_to_the_Peroneal_Nerve_in_Professional.11.aspx

What it says to me is if you're buying shin guards, get ones with plastic that wraps around the knee or maybe just be really careful about not blocking shots with the side of your body. :v:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

shyduck posted:

Lost 8-2 tonight. We had 8 skaters, and I must have been on the ice for 38-40 minutes out of 45.

my team got worked right from the start this week in our second game of three series. We took the first game with 7 skaters against 10-12 but we couldn't do it again against 14 or 15. I wish people would show up for our playoff games :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Man the worst part of these clearance sales is that poo poo my size is always long, long gone. The curse of being the most average-sized human that ever averagely existed.
:negative:

Also we lost to the team that shouldn't be in Div 8 by a wonderful score of 12-2 last night - and lost our goalie halfway through the 2nd period (whereupon they dropped 7 of those 12 on us womp womp) Poor guy sprung his man-muscle trying to save the 5th goal.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 30, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyduck posted:

I replaced my shins just this year too. My 15 year old Hespelers were holding together literally by a thread in some spots.

Mine are still holding on. With the eagle gloves We are basically gear brothers.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Hey does anyone still have that link about hockey helmets? And how some of the cheaper ones were close to the top? Thinking about a dirt cheap 2nd w/ no grill for stick'n'puck times / for a buddy to borrow for S&P.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The helmet safety study?

http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_hockey.php

Bauer 2100 is probably cheapest/safest according to the way the study was done. I was seriously about to buy one myself but the foamy padding looks like it would get hot.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

The helmet safety study?

http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_hockey.php

Bauer 2100 is probably cheapest/safest according to the way the study was done. I was seriously about to buy one myself but the foamy padding looks like it would get hot.

Without looking, I thought the Warrior Krown was the safest.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're legitimately concerned about concussion safety as a beginner at s&p but are going to skate without a cage?

Worry about staying out of the way of people shooting and keeping your head up. Getting hit with a puck as an unaware beginner who can't get out of the way is much more dangerous than a potential concussion imo.

And get whatever is on sale and fits for christs sake.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

You're legitimately concerned about concussion safety as a beginner at s&p but are going to skate without a cage?

Worry about staying out of the way of people shooting and keeping your head up. Getting hit with a puck as an unaware beginner who can't get out of the way is much more dangerous than a potential concussion imo.

Nah I just remember one of the dirt cheap helmets being high on the list and the S&P I go to mainly is chill as hell and hardly anyone there. And I'm not dumb enough to go behind the net during spray and pray time.

sellouts posted:

And get whatever is on sale and fits for christs sake.
ding ding ding :toot:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Well, I am 42. But it was quite a few months before it stopped hurting altogether, maybe 6-7. Figuring out the right stretching/mobilization for me helped a lot.

God drat it. I'm going to lose all my gains.

D C posted:

For serious. I got some Reebok 20k shinpads on clearance (I think Reebok has given up on the ice hockey market). I got them because they're made for larger calves and the wrap is one of the few I can get completely around my leg.

First time I blocked a shot with them I honestly didn't know I did until I turned behind me to see the deflected angle. I was so used to really feeling it with my old pads. Now I can tell but it's still as if someone is tapping your leg with their finger or something. I'm amazed at how much protection they offer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sellouts posted:

Also despite marketing efforts helmets don't really prevent concussions. The only way to prevent concussions is to not get hit in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Chemmy posted:

Also despite marketing efforts helmets don't really prevent concussions. The only way to prevent concussions is to not get hit in the head.

Yeah I don't do any of my hockeying in the thunderdome that Henrik plays in. If I'm getting tagged in the head by someone's elbow during S&P time then I need to seriously reconsider who my teammates are. (it's awesome - there's never anyone there except for us and usually a Russian dude teaching his 5-6 year old)

This bucket is not for game time - Just dick around time and for a buddy to borrow now and then.