Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

The bus was the only way I could go from 'oh god everything is full where do all these belts go what is happening' to a base that I could happily wander around in without triggering some form of autism, OCD, or :spergin:

Just make sure you allocate a lot of space where you plan to put the bus. Last time I played this way back in 10.2 and made a bus I still ended up cramped for space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Why do you have raw copper on your bus?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Putting ore on your bus? :stonk:
E: :spergin: in full effect here.

There's a reason why whenever someone asks me what Factorio is my first line is "autism simulator"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

"autism simulator"

True story, I hate busses so much I legit get a little angry when people say they are using them and enjoying using them. Why? Who knows, there's something wrong with my dumb idiot brain.

Iron and copper plates make a full spine down to the advanced chip/processor labs, chips and gears branch off to a parts factory. OR ELSE

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Fleve posted:

The bus was the only way I could go from 'oh god everything is full where do all these belts go what is happening' to a base that I could happily wander around in without triggering some form of autism, OCD, or :spergin:

Just make sure you allocate a lot of space where you plan to put the bus. Last time I played this way back in 10.2 and made a bus I still ended up cramped for space.

Uh WOAH!!!! How on earth do you do those?? Looks like big time to me :)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And to be honest, that's not even that great of a bus, as far as these things go.

E: Actually I take it back, it makes more sense in the older screenshot, just looks like the standard Factorio "things got away from me" syndrome.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 29, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

The raw resources section was to the south, but after I depleted everything there I still had a huge patch of ore up north so it was coming down from there (older shot) and for some reason I thought it was a great idea to use bus-space in rewind direction.

I also put the raw resources section waaay too close to the bus and later moved the whole drat thing further away. It's probably just best to always build different sections further away from each other than at first planned; space in Factorio seems to work according to Parkinson's law, where your base ultimately always expands to fill any given space.

Edit: Yeah that bus was pretty messy in the end, there's way better ones back in this thread.

Edit edit: Yep, there's always a point where that happens to me, and with every new map I start, the difference is always in being able to go a little bit further before everything turns into a disorganized mess. Then I start over, fill up all the space I never thought I'd fill, and see my sperg-empire crumble under each new haphazardly placed emergency belt that 'I'll probably get rid of later...yeah, definitely, just...not now'

I'd love to try a good modular base one of these days.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 29, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm planning this in my head, but to start, I would make a long stretch of belt, East to West for coal. Put a chest at the end if you want, but you don't have to.

Now make a belt right under it for copper plates. Then do one for iron plates.

Just keep stacking these belts so you have one for every resource.

The trick is when you want to tap a belt for an intermediate product.

Using a combination of tunnels and splitters, have half of the production for the required lines go north, extend the belts a little more than you think is necessary to leave room for expansion. Set up the factories and then have the outputs tunnel south until they get to the last belt, and now you have another bus line.

Just keep doing this and you'll have a giant bus with one belt for every single type of resource in the game.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think bussing was much more of a thing before logistics networks. Now with logistics networks the only things I belt are iron plates, copper plates, steel, gears, electronic circuits, and plastic. Plastic because the last thing on my belt factory is advanced circuits, and I'll just keep building those factories and stuffing those 3 belts (copper plate, circuits, plastics) with goods until I can finally keep up with demand.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Here is a mega bus form like .09 should still work for you.

*edit: the image quality on that is way worse than I remember it being, sorry.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 29, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Alrighty then, I'll give it a shot. Thanks all!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If you really want to set people off, put copper wire on belts :spergin:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You're a monster!

Actually, I used to make my advanced circuit lines with one wire factory feeding into each circuit factory, but I've changed now so copper goes to the right side of my belt into two wire factories, then it's belted perpendicular across the belt to 10 advanced circuit factories.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
What, and make my circuit production all messy?

e: This is marathon mode so copper plate is the logistical nightmare. 1 ore gives 5 plate. 10 plate for 2 wire. 10 wire per green circuit. I'd need 5 belts of copper to match 1 belt of wire.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 30, 2015

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IIRC, one wire factory can feed 8 red circuit factories, so that's really the only time you should be belting wire. I recall someone doing an analysis on belting wire for green circuits and it basically only makes sense if you don't have the width to do a 3->2 setup and only use tier 1 assemblers.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

oxbrain posted:

What, and make my circuit production all messy?

e: This is marathon mode so copper plate is the logistical nightmare. 1 ore gives 5 plate. 10 plate for 2 wire. 10 wire per green circuit. I'd need 5 belts of copper to match 1 belt of wire.

I like that the minimap is completely washed out by the pollution overlay. The old world will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise!

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know how to get my splitters to output my plates in a 1:1 left-right ratio? As it stands I always end up with one side getting way more plates than the other.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Get rid of the top middle splitter entirely so there is a gap.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Spaseman posted:

Does anyone know how to get my splitters to output my plates in a 1:1 left-right ratio? As it stands I always end up with one side getting way more plates than the other.

Your balancer is balancing it so that you have 1 feeding the left, and 2 feeding the right, and 1 feeding the middle. The middle one is doing mostly right since the source is biased right.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This is how you should balance both sides of a belt:

Depending on how much you're putting through that belt you might want to use a faster belt for the spliter and belts to join back to the main belt. Since you're using red for the main belt, use a blue splitter and blue belts coming out of the splitter depositing onto your main red belt.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've never messed with mods. Has anyone made a load balancer part? Something you could just place inline with the belt seems like it'd be handy as hell.

Also, since putting it on the bus is apparently the wrong move, what's the preferred way to handle copper coil?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Efficient method is to drop them on a cargo container in-between the wire assemblers and the circuit assemblers (3 to 2 assembler ratio). You could do the same thing with chests but it doesn't balance as well.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
The alternative to putting copper wire on a belt is to insert it directly into its target or a container. Once you research some inserter stack size upgrades this advantage gets even bigger.

You can also use a train car as a large shared container:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Phssthpok posted:

The alternative to putting copper wire on a belt is to insert it directly into its target or a container. Once you research some inserter stack size upgrades this advantage gets even bigger.

You can also use a train car as a large shared container:

Just be careful that the train car doesn't fill with one good. Use smart chests + smart inserters to control it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Feature request: Smart train cars.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Boogalo posted:

Feature request: Smart train cars.

Requires: Logistics railroads.

Get your copper cables ready

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
You can filter cargo wagon inventories. Middle click on an inventory slot; if it's already occupied, the filter is set to that item. Otherwise you get a selection list. Ctrl-middle-click to clear it again.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Bremen posted:

I like that the minimap is completely washed out by the pollution overlay. The old world will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise!

Hey, it's not my mother nature. :smug:

Shintaro posted:

You can filter cargo wagon inventories. Middle click on an inventory slot; if it's already occupied, the filter is set to that item. Otherwise you get a selection list. Ctrl-middle-click to clear it again.

I almost wish this wasn't true because now I feel like such an idiot. :aaaaa:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

oxbrain posted:

I almost wish this wasn't true because now I feel like such an idiot. :aaaaa:

If you've really been managing your train cars without filters you have my deepest sympathies.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you suck at rail so bad you need to filter your car inventory you have my deepest sympathies :smug:

I guess the only use I can think of for that is if you've got a couple different kinds of deposits in a small area and you can just one station for them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FISHMANPET posted:

If you suck at rail so bad you need to filter your car inventory you have my deepest sympathies :smug:

I guess the only use I can think of for that is if you've got a couple different kinds of deposits in a small area and you can just one station for them.

Or you could do as we were just talking about and use it as a giant smart container for inputs and outputs of a factory. As a bonus, it all benefits from stack size increases.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Filters on rail cars are great for transporting oil barrels, since they need to carry the empties back with them.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Moddington posted:

Filters on rail cars are great for transporting oil barrels, since they need to carry the empties back with them.

Wouldn't the turnaround be faster if you just had them visit a second station for putting the empties on?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I (used to) have one car with full cans and one car with empties. Real simple.

(Actually I use long pipes as they're objectively better for oil transport-- cheaper, higher throughput, faster, more flexible, no maintenance cost)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Is there not a mod with Very Large Chests to replace the Static Rail Car setup?

How clever could such a mod get? Could we have modular chests that just automatically glue themselves together when adjacent, yet share a static inventory?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Is there not a mod with Very Large Chests to replace the Static Rail Car setup?

How clever could such a mod get? Could we have modular chests that just automatically glue themselves together when adjacent, yet share a static inventory?

Their are a number of modular, self balancing, and/or auto transferring chest mods. Though I don't know of any just really big chest mods.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Hagop posted:

Their are a number of modular, self balancing, and/or auto transferring chest mods. Though I don't know of any just really big chest mods.

The ShadowsMegaModpack that I'm running right now has one. They're in "MAIN-Dytech-Machine".

It's not filterable, though.

There is a 'Stainless Steel Wagon' mod though that has a gigantic boxcar which is filterable.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Ambaire posted:

The ShadowsMegaModpack that I'm running right now has one. They're in "MAIN-Dytech-Machine".

It's not filterable, though.

There is a 'Stainless Steel Wagon' mod though that has a gigantic boxcar which is filterable.

Is dytech no longer the gregtech of factorio. I tried back in .9 and it was sooooo bad I have never even dared go back to the sub-forum.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

I (used to) have one car with full cans and one car with empties. Real simple.

(Actually I use long pipes as they're objectively better for oil transport-- cheaper, higher throughput, faster, more flexible, no maintenance cost)

One of the few mods I use is one that adds oil tanker cars. Each car holds about half a static tank full and can load/unload with up to four pumps. Still less throughput than a pipe, but easier logistically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there a good detailed oil tutorial? My oil setup always feels sloppy and probably bottlenecked in twelve ways I'm not even aware of.