Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Agreed. I expect mafia newbies are taking a backseat but I hope they can post a bit. We won't bite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Wow ok I just looked at the player list wtf homies

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
Yeah I keep trying to read people and there's just not much there at all for most. The people who do have stuff (outside of a handful) are focusing on the wrong stuff like has already been said.

I can't tell if people are actively trying to go under the radar or just aren't posting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

##vote eight bux

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tremendous Taste posted:

Agreed. I expect mafia newbies are taking a backseat but I hope they can post a bit. We won't bite!

I prefer to think of it as taking a side seat. I am posting and trying to figure things out, although I feel like I'm in a fairly unique position here because I think I am only person in this game who A) hasn't played Mafia before ever and/or B) doesn't have any sort of connections or prior relationship with anyone. I feel like each of us are an island in a small cluster, except everyone but me has bridges running between their islands because of experience and past history.

I've got a notebook next to my computer and I'm taking notes and stuff, but I might not always be willing to share because I don't know who I can trust yet.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

:mad:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

I prefer to think of it as taking a side seat. I am posting and trying to figure things out, although I feel like I'm in a fairly unique position here because I think I am only person in this game who A) hasn't played Mafia before ever and/or B) doesn't have any sort of connections or prior relationship with anyone. I feel like each of us are an island in a small cluster, except everyone but me has bridges running between their islands because of experience and past history.

I've got a notebook next to my computer and I'm taking notes and stuff, but I might not always be willing to share because I don't know who I can trust yet.

Unless you think you've found a town power role (kept those secret!), you should default to being open with your thoughts. Town wins by putting their thoughts together and sharing their reasoning, there's no reason to keep your suspicions or thoughts to yourself.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

it is always a better idea to share your thoughts than to sit on them, because if you are nightkilled you won't get to share them and that's a detriment to town (if you are town)

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Fast Luck posted:

I'm curious about EXAKT's campaigning for 8bux:

What's the reasoning here, why is 8bux pinging as scummy?

ON MY FIRST READ, I NOTICED HE SAID HONESTLY SEVERAL TIMES, WHICH PINGS ME AS SCUMMY. ALSO, TASTE MADE A GOOD CASE A FEW PAGES AGO ABOUT HOW 8BUX WAS BEING DEFENSIVE AND GOING OUT OF HIS WAY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT WEREN'T ASKED WHEN TASTE MADE A SIMPLE REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION. VOTE 8BUX AND VOTE OUT A SCUM, BROTHER!

King Burgundy posted:

I asked him about this and he hasn't come back and answered.

SORRY ABOUT NOT DOING THIS SOONER, BUT I'VE BEEN TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS MOVING AND WITH MY NEW JOB. SEE MY EXPLANATION ABOVE, THOUGH, AND VOTE 8 BUX TO SAVE SWOLETOWN USA

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Less than an hour to go y'all.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Madman, I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but it helps town more to just say what you're feeling. We're not going to jump on you for things we disagree with

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

ON MY FIRST READ, I NOTICED HE SAID HONESTLY SEVERAL TIMES, WHICH PINGS ME AS SCUMMY. ALSO, TASTE MADE A GOOD CASE A FEW PAGES AGO ABOUT HOW 8BUX WAS BEING DEFENSIVE AND GOING OUT OF HIS WAY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT WEREN'T ASKED WHEN TASTE MADE A SIMPLE REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION. VOTE 8BUX AND VOTE OUT A SCUM, BROTHER!

If you really can't see why I felt he was asking me that with respect to my post right before he asked the question I don't know what to tell ya.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

EXAKT Science posted:

SORRY ABOUT NOT DOING THIS SOONER, BUT I'VE BEEN TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS MOVING AND WITH MY NEW JOB. SEE MY EXPLANATION ABOVE, THOUGH, AND VOTE 8 BUX TO SAVE SWOLETOWN USA
Uh he never once said "honestly." The closest he came was when he said something wasn't bullying "tbh." Are you thinking of someone else?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Imgay isn't entertaining bad content, he's generating null content. Poison mushroom is generating bad content.

If you want to hunt out a null content guy look at Allen.

I kind of half-agree, I guess. I think imgay's stuff is more halfway between null and bad. I'm more bothered that the few content posts of his are so aggressively bad.

As for PMush, as I said before, her logic is shaky, but she's giving us stuff to argue about, even if it's just getting shot down.

Eight Dollars posted:

I'd also throw Chic in that second category too.

There is so much emptiness right now!

Eight Dollars posted:

^I mean the first category whoops. It's just a void right now.

What do you think of this read on Chic?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tremendous Taste posted:

Madman, I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but it helps town more to just say what you're feeling. We're not going to jump on you for things we disagree with

I kind of want to see what happens in N1 and the reactions on D2, but I will say 2 things. I'm not sure I agree with a D1 dunk and I also think PMush is getting railroaded.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

D1 dunks are unambiguously the right thing to do don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

D1 nolynches are literally the worst ideas

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You might be dead by then, fam. Spill if you got anything

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you assume players aren't retarded with their actions a role madness no lynch is viable

This is not a role madness game

I will be charitable to fellow players

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure I will see the logic of it after a game or two.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Again, you might be dead by tomorrow. I'd like to hear what you have to say :shobon:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Allen made his couple posts about not understanding the PMush thing and then came back 24 hours later and posted a youtube video and hasn't posted again since.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

I'm sure I will see the logic of it after a game or two.

Maybe this will help?

The relevant info:

quote:

Let's take your classic newbie setup, as an example.
7 town
2 scum

Let's say that the town decide to NL D1, but lynch every day from then, and scum also kills every night.
Day 2: 6 town, 2 scum. (25% chance of hitting scum)
Day 3: 4 town, 2 scum. (33% chance of hitting scum)

Now let's say town lynch D1:
D2: 5 town, 2 scum. (28.5% chance of hitting scum)
Day 3: 3 town, 2 scum. (40% chance of hitting scum)

As you can see, the town have a greater chance of hitting scum if they lynch anyone D1. There's some rule about that, it's in the wiki somewhere.
This is just from a statistical PoV, but lynching D1 is almost always better.

Does that make sense?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
KB, gj quoting jokephase, its really poignant. Not really sure what you are trying to prove with it though.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

no spontaneous rush to kill 8$ okay

##vote pmush

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That's such a bad argument ahhhh

We are not clones playing vanilla in a vacuum !!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

let's not argue about modelling choices 27 minutes before deadline

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tremendous Taste posted:

Again, you might be dead by tomorrow. I'd like to hear what you have to say :shobon:

Alright, I'll give in. I am a little suspicious of the votes that got put on PMush after she voted for me. I've been toying with the idea that because I'm new, some of the people who came to my defense about a brand new guy getting votes on D1 might be scum trying to get me to lead crusades against the town.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Which ones in particular?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

Maybe this will help?

The relevant info:

Does that make sense?

Yeah, and I mean I kind of got it before that, but it also seems like it can be a popularity contest. Although I even get that sometimes too.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Tremendous Taste posted:

That's such a bad argument ahhhh

We are not clones playing vanilla in a vacuum !!!

Sorry, it was from quick google. I'm honestly still trying to wrap my brain around it because honestly the logic evades me as well.

Basically, I still don't see a great reason to vote PMush. She reads sincere and I disagree that her posts are so bad that it's worth getting rid of her just for the sake of avoiding a no lynch. I need a way to wrap my head around it and vanilla zombie mafia stats make more sense to me than anything else.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I no longer think Pmush is scum, but any lynch is better than no lynch.

Does anyone have an actual better target?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, if it has to happen, I will probably go with the dunk.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

garthoneeye posted:

I no longer think Pmush is scum, but any lynch is better than no lynch.

Does anyone have an actual better target?

I think Anarc is pretty scummy. The majority of her content posts have been tunnel vision policy lynching me, which is terrible.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, and I mean I kind of got it before that, but it also seems like it can be a popularity contest. Although I even get that sometimes too.

It definitely seems that way sometimes, but this is a friendly group of folks and I don't think anybody in here is seriously bitter towards anyone else. Just here to play mafia and get over Survivor. They're both games that require cooperation and disclosure in order to eliminate threats, and a bunch of us do know each other from before, but we don't bite, and in mafia, logic trumps outside relationships.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
20 min before deadline. Lets go guys. I will switch to pmush if I have to.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I do not think Poison Mushroom is scum and do not want to vote her today

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tremendous Taste posted:

Which ones in particular?

For whatever reason, the PMom and Allen votes on PMush kind of struck me the wrong way and seemed to drive the argument against her.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

##vote Allen Wren

If we can swing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think Allen is bussing her.

Can we get a claim mush?

• Locked thread