Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gonbon posted:

Venice has the strongest RT bonuses. After 100 years you should have +0.6 RT/year from two permanent event modifiers (Some time after 1520.) Since I don't think anyone else gets permanent RT modifiers from events.

It's possible (I think?) to get to 0.8 RT/year, but that requires taking a -0.3 hit to your RT/year for ~100 years (~1550-~1650.) And it's not guaranteed to happen since it's a MTTH of 10 years and can only fire within a 20 year span, which would leave you stuck with +0.3 RT/year.

Since we're on the subject, I think the +0.2 RT policies are garbage. If you wanna :sperg: and compare the monarch point cost/benefit, +0.2 RT equates to one "free" re-election every 50 years (for a 4-year election cycle let's just roll with that since it's most common). Compare that relative to the potential MP from re-electing versus getting a fresh 4/1/1:

+0.2 RT policy for 50 years = 600 MP
MP gain from e-electing after 1 term = 144
Re-electing after 2 terms = 288
Re-electing after 3 terms = 384

So, uh, they're a lovely investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PrinceRandom posted:

Is there like a mod or something that adds some preset idea sets for the nation designer? I was gonna try and build Iraq to make a kinda gooniversalis set up but choosing ideas was too much for me.

No, probably the easiest(?) thing to do is set the point limit to 800 (honor system yourself to X) and then hit the 'random idea' button a few times for each AI nation to get a set of ideas that looks goodish. You want to set the limit up because it can generate a fairly big swath of cost for random ideas (some sets suck some are pretty solid).

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You absolutely do not need RT bonuses for republics to be amazing. There's an event when your RT is down to about 40 that gives you 20 RT and -1 stab. Just set your focus to admin and go crazy. It's still worth it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do Noble Republics get less RT/year? Or looking at it maybe re-elections cost more (20)?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

Do Noble Republics get less RT/year? Or looking at it maybe re-elections cost more (20)?

reelection cost is scaled to time in office because otherwise you would start at a short election cycle republic and once you got your monarch high you would switch to a long election cycle one, in fact thats what you used to do. It's 2.5 RT/ year spend in office.

Pellisworth posted:

Since we're on the subject, I think the +0.2 RT policies are garbage. If you wanna :sperg: and compare the monarch point cost/benefit, +0.2 RT equates to one "free" re-election every 50 years (for a 4-year election cycle let's just roll with that since it's most common). Compare that relative to the potential MP from re-electing versus getting a fresh 4/1/1:

+0.2 RT policy for 50 years = 600 MP
MP gain from e-electing after 1 term = 144
Re-electing after 2 terms = 288
Re-electing after 3 terms = 384

So, uh, they're a lovely investment.

You are ignoring the +50 mp / reelection. But yeah they got nerfed hard compared to back when policies were first introduced and they were way too good.

Omelette du Fromage posted:

You absolutely do not need RT bonuses for republics to be amazing. There's an event when your RT is down to about 40 that gives you 20 RT and -1 stab. Just set your focus to admin and go crazy. It's still worth it.

Yep. Thats exactly what I do. A good thing to remember is that low stability is pretty meaningless as a republic because unlike legitimacy RT does not gets reduced by it and your revolt risk does not constantly increase. So the extremely expensive stability from low RT is not that big of a deal. Running around with -1 or -2 stability for an extended amount of time is just fine as long as you can deal with the rebels.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 29, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Am I able to release a nation and then continue playing as them and have it continue as an ironman game(having started it as an iron man game, of course)?

I am just wondering if it's possible to do something like vassalize Byzantine, feed them all the provinces they need for the rome achievement, annex them, and then release them and continue playing as them.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Am I able to release a nation and then continue playing as them and have it continue as an ironman game(having started it as an iron man game, of course)?

I am just wondering if it's possible to do something like vassalize Byzantine, feed them all the provinces they need for the rome achievement, annex them, and then release them and continue playing as them.

I believe that they made playing as released vassals possible in the Art of War update, yes. I think you'll stay a vassal of the original country though.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Most achievements have a not playing as a released nation clause though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tsyni posted:

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Most achievements have a not playing as a released nation clause though.

Here's a pretty good list: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Achievement_conditions

If it has the requirement "NOT playing as a released vassal," your strategy isn't going to work. The Basileus achievement has no such restriction, so it's possible.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Winning as Byzantium is not hard in the slightest. I posted a foolproof guide earlier in the thread

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do I not understand forts correctly? Shouldn't Muscovy not be able to march from Kholmogory to Karelia since there is a fort right next to them in Olonets?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Karelia is directly connected to one of their provinces, so they're free to walk there. They shouldn't be able to walk past it though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Average Bear posted:

Winning as Byzantium is not hard in the slightest. I posted a foolproof guide earlier in the thread

For sure, I was just using that as an example. Maybe a better example would be Kongo or something like that. I just wondered if it was possible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My colonial holdings are getting too big, some of them started to dislike me because "competing great power". I keep spending all my prestige making them happy but now the rest of the world makes fun of me. Any tips on keeping these disloyal colonies in order?

I wish there was more of a spectrum for colonial control. Make colonial nations optional so if you want to directly control forever you can, but at penalties (or give advantages to releasing). Then a spectrum of more and more independence. Maybe the option to create something sort of like the UK's commonwealth. I don't really need my colonies income or even help in war, I just want to keep the family together. It's not like I don't go out of my way to help them and grow them and make sure their borders are pretty, you'd think they'd appreciate that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

Do I not understand forts correctly? Shouldn't Muscovy not be able to march from Kholmogory to Karelia since there is a fort right next to them in Olonets?

If you owned Kohlmgory then they would not be able to get to Karelia.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the pro Japan strategy? I slowly integrated all the daimyo, beat up Korea and took the south of their country, and started exploring California and Australia. Unfortunately I'm broke, very behind in tech, and I'm currently losing the second Korean war since Ming decided to play this time. I don't think I'm going to amount to much this game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Colonize the Philippines and Indonesia and get rich by sucking up all the trade at Malacca. Then use your 10% discipline, 15% infantry combat 10% morale to beat up on all your neighbors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pellisworth posted:

If it has the requirement "NOT playing as a released vassal," your strategy isn't going to work. The Basileus achievement has no such restriction, so it's possible.

That's actually incorrect, you must start as BYZ in 1444. It may be possible for some other achievements though.

code:
achievement_basileus = {
	id = 38

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		tag = BYZ
	}

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wow, my guys sure sucked at fighting for having +15% discipline. I guess I should be waiting around at speed 5 more, but it just gets so old. Can I only launch automatic conquistadors in the Americas?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Wow, my guys sure sucked at fighting for having +15% discipline. I guess I should be waiting around at speed 5 more, but it just gets so old. Can I only launch automatic conquistadors in the Americas?

Generals, tactics, and base shock/fire/whatever modifiers seem to be the strongest. So staying as far ahead as you can in mil tech and keeping high AT goes a long way. Having super discipline and morale doesn't mean much if you are massively out of date or you roll like a 0 to some dude's 2 + 6 shock phase.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Was easier to break free from Hansa than I thought it would be. :denmark:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I have a quick question about war declarations. I'm too afraid to try it out since I'm on Ironman.

I am Sweden. I am allied to France, Brandenburg, and the Commonwealth, who is also allied to France, Brandenburg, and the Livonian Order. I want the Commonwealth's coastlines, but they are allied those humongous powers that I wouldn't be able to beat. However, if I declare war on the LO, I could take at least some of Commonwealth's coast, since they are not a co-belligerent. This war, I could win. Brandenburg will join the war on my side since they don't give a gently caress about the LO.

However, if I check the Commonwealth as a co-belligerent, the green checkmarks on the DOW screen don't change. It says that Brandenburg and France will still join my war. But will they? Whose side will they join if I start the war? Something tells me the screen is lying, and that I would be fighting against the combined strengths of the LO, Commonwealth, France, and Brandenburg, since they would be fighting a defensive war.

Bort Bortles posted:

If you owned Kohlmgory then they would not be able to get to Karelia.

Okay, thanks.

Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf
They'll join on your side. At least that's been the case for me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonbon posted:

:stare: this changes so much

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
drat the EU4 thread moves fast...

Elman posted:

Does this seem doable at all?

I think you are probably too far behind. I think I've finally hit a good stride in a Kongo game westernizing in 1543 and I have most of the same west african lands you do minus part of Mossi/Songhai's area. I think getting Westernized is the big thing and focused on not taking any land I didn't have to. Other than integrating a small Benin and taking the minors to the south of Mali/Mossi I made sure to take nothing and be super conservative with ADM/DIP. Hitting Admin 5, getting the +Settler Exploration idea, snagging the Cape, and then hitting Dip 7 were priority.

Question about Reforming/Westernizing as Kongo... I saw the "Reform your Government" greyed out decision occasionally while playing and figured I might have to do that before Westernizing. But right before my colony completed a 3/5/3 Pretender popped up which got rid of my poo poo heir... and flipped me to Despotic Monarchy. Did I just hit the jackpot of not having to complete Administrative and lost 5 stability or would have I been able to westernize regardless?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Gonbon posted:

Can anyone confirm? Because

Larry Parrish posted:

My thoughts exactly.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Cultures my Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth accepts: Crimean, Prussian, Byelo/russian, Ruthenian.

Cultures it does not accept: Lithuanian.

I assume it's down to Lithuanian not being in the West Slavic group, but that's not exactly what I expected when Lithuanian is in the name of the country I formed.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Node posted:

Can anyone confirm? Because

My thoughts exactly.

Just tested in one of my non-ironman games. I was allied to Poland, who is allied to Serbia, who is allied to Genoa. Declaring on Serbia directly, Poland was obviously unwilling to join. I declared on Genoa and selected Serbia as a co-belligerent and Poland did join on my side.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Traxis posted:

Just tested in one of my non-ironman games. I was allied to Poland, who is allied to Serbia, who is allied to Genoa. Declaring on Serbia directly, Poland was obviously unwilling to join. I declared on Genoa and selected Serbia as a co-belligerent and Poland did join on my side.

Oh... boy. Thanks. To reiterate:

Larry Parrish posted:

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Traxis posted:

Yeah I've noticed that your allies will get called in before the co-belligerent allies will but am usually too much of a baby to depend on it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Node posted:

I have a quick question about war declarations. I'm too afraid to try it out since I'm on Ironman.

I am Sweden. I am allied to France, Brandenburg, and the Commonwealth, who is also allied to France, Brandenburg, and the Livonian Order. I want the Commonwealth's coastlines, but they are allied those humongous powers that I wouldn't be able to beat. However, if I declare war on the LO, I could take at least some of Commonwealth's coast, since they are not a co-belligerent. This war, I could win. Brandenburg will join the war on my side since they don't give a gently caress about the LO.

However, if I check the Commonwealth as a co-belligerent, the green checkmarks on the DOW screen don't change. It says that Brandenburg and France will still join my war. But will they? Whose side will they join if I start the war? Something tells me the screen is lying, and that I would be fighting against the combined strengths of the LO, Commonwealth, France, and Brandenburg, since they would be fighting a defensive war.

Okay, thanks.

That window will never reflect the results of co-belligerent status. I don't honestly know how the AI processes orders, but here is how it should work:

1) You declare war and Calls to Arms go out as noted in the war declaration screen

2) Those countries process whether they accept or not and do it. Both sides at the same time.

3) Anyone marked as a co-belligerent sends out Calls to Arms for its own Allies after accepting the invitation.

So in that case France and Brandenburg get your call and make the decision. If they accept, then they're stuck. If they refuse then they're free to receive the Commonwealths call after it accepts their call to arms and thus may join on their side because there is always a small chance the AI will take the opposite decision. However most of the time your case should result in France and Brandenburg on your side against the Commonwealth.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gitro posted:

Cultures my Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth accepts: Crimean, Prussian, Byelo/russian, Ruthenian.

Cultures it does not accept: Lithuanian.

I assume it's down to Lithuanian not being in the West Slavic group, but that's not exactly what I expected when Lithuanian is in the name of the country I formed.

It's likely because you don't have enough Lithuanian provinces. You have to hit a certain province or development threshold (defaults to 20%, but gets lower with Ideas/Traditions/Ambitions) for a culture to become accepted, and then you lose acceptance when the culture falls below a certain threshold (half of your first threshold). Likely when you integrated Lithuania, Lithuanian was less than X% of your combined nation so it didn't become accepted.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
How the heck do I reveal Terra Incognita on islands? The game doesn't let me land conquistadors on them, and my explorers on ships don't seem to be able to "find" them.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If you have El Dorado then you should have an Explore Coast mission. If you don't, you sail past it a bunch of times until random chance reveals it if it's wasteland and if not you should just be able to land a conquistador.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried so hard to get Orthodox Zealots to finally revolt, and then I get called into a war by the AI and I really dont want to lose them as an ally. Then they immediately pull back all their troops to smash the rebels. :negative:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Good evening, I bring you news from across the Channel... *bites down on knuckle*

An ragtag army of Turks, Berbers and Arabs have come onto our shores and
*tears visibly forming in eyes* London has now fallen

(I don't know how these idiots managed to get pass the british navy or land and then survive their standing forces :iiam:)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Erm, I ran out of things to auto-explore. I restarted the game but no good, there's no way to explore California like in my last Japan run. Known problem?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jackson Taus posted:

It's likely because you don't have enough Lithuanian provinces. You have to hit a certain province or development threshold (defaults to 20%, but gets lower with Ideas/Traditions/Ambitions) for a culture to become accepted, and then you lose acceptance when the culture falls below a certain threshold (half of your first threshold). Likely when you integrated Lithuania, Lithuanian was less than X% of your combined nation so it didn't become accepted.
Yeah but you would think that Lithuania would automatically be accepted in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Erm, I ran out of things to auto-explore. I restarted the game but no good, there's no way to explore California like in my last Japan run. Known problem?

You need more range. Either via tech or conquering/colonizing and coring land closer to California.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm starting to really hate the new garrison system. I have zero fort maintenance. The enemy takes it in one month. I immediately counter attack before the garrison increases from 50. The siege lasts 500 days and I get 12 war exhaustion from one occupied province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm starting to really hate the new garrison system. I have zero fort maintenance. The enemy takes it in one month. I immediately counter attack before the garrison increases from 50. The siege lasts 500 days and I get 12 war exhaustion from one occupied province.

That and the fact that one active fort stops however many thousands of troops. I liked the concept but if I've got a 50k stack against a level 2/3 fort I should be able to leave behind 12 or 18k for the fort and then move on. Invading any big country in the mid-late game is just punishing. Hello, 400k Ottoman army knocking at your door, we'll see your capital 8 provinces in after about 5 years of tearing down the ring of castles AI loves to put up. I will have nightmares of trying to tear down Ming for years.

• Locked thread