Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really can't wait for the new patch. I really want to do the one province challenge and see how tall I can go and how big of a vassal swarm I can keep under control without them revolting.

Short term increases to 6 provinces is okay when colonizing the New world provided you turn it into a colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm starting to really hate the new garrison system. I have zero fort maintenance. The enemy takes it in one month. I immediately counter attack before the garrison increases from 50. The siege lasts 500 days and I get 12 war exhaustion from one occupied province.

Should the garrison have replenished? If you take it in the same month then it should still be 0 and it should automatically fall. Even if not I don't know how 50 dudes can hold out that long, that seems like exceptionally bad luck. Either way this is a problem that could have been solved by maintaining forts on borders with enemies that have the will and means to go to war, so

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Even though the patch is coming (our saves will still be fine right and all the dev costs and stuff will filter through?) I just can't stay away. Started a new custom "Nederland" nation based, surprisingly, on the default netherlands. I'm really vowing not to cheat, don't touch that console!! All I did was give my self 600 gold to "move" a few forts around and that's that. This marks my first time resolving to not cheat at all, not a tiny bit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah but you would think that Lithuania would automatically be accepted in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
You would. Would be cool if it was possible to overwrite the game's usual rules when it came to cultural acceptance, through events and decisions, so that the PLC automatically accepted Poles and Lithuanians, Sweden/Scandinavia Finns, France Bretons*, and so on.

*Revolutionary France maybe not so much?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You would. Would be cool if it was possible to overwrite the game's usual rules when it came to cultural acceptance, through events and decisions, so that the PLC automatically accepted Poles and Lithuanians, Sweden/Scandinavia Finns, France Bretons*, and so on.

Breton was moved to the French culture group, so France auto-accepts them. :ssh:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I don't believe it actually took 500 days with 50 men but that is an example of how forts are a potential liability if you let them fall into enemy hands. This is a good thing, not a bad one. Don't mothball important border forts, and have staggered defenses if at all possible. Mothball the forts on the inside of your country not the outside.

All of my talking and unsolicited advice I've given in this thread is about to be put to the test.
I'm the TO-->Prussia with all of Poland and Prussia under my belt. Autonomy is low, Army Tradition is high, and I have a dense network of forts protecting the homeland. Scandinavia and Lithuania, both powers in the top 10 on the map, are my staunch allies. I also have an alliance of convenience with the Ottomans who span from Hungary to Alexandria. We are the second strongest of three major European power blocs. The weakest is a Papal State that's completely unified Italy, Spain, Great Britain, and France.

The year is 1675 or so and Austria has unified the HRE. A brutal war I launched ~15 or so years ago, when the HRE was just a bunch of vassals, drained my massive war chest, obliterated my manpower, and saw the cessation of a few key provinces, has left me wondering whether or not this is still doable. In the interim Austria annexed the rest of the HRE with unanimous support and set her sights westward. France is ragged and disunited, a motley patchwork of minor dukes too busy squabbling with one another to present a credible threat to the HRE. The Papal States and Spain put up a bit more of a fight but that war too ended in Habsburg supremacy.

I was cocky last time, and my hubris nearly allowed the HRE to completely cripple the only credible threat it has left. My reserves are now full, my forts are now garrisoned. The Empire is tired, a rabid dog worn out from attacking all it sees. My Saracen allies are as ready as they will ever be, the Swedes are prepared to retake their claims in Schleswig-Holstein, and the massive Lithuanian army will hopefully not trip over themselves for long enough for me to drive a stake into the heart of the young Empire. Austrian manpower is at an all-time low but their army total dwarfs mine and my allies combined.

No matter what happens, I have only myself to blame. For centuries I was the scourge of the Empire, taking provinces and enforcing my desires at will, eschewing Imperial allies for alien Eastern ones, paying no mind as the Emperor consolidated his power and passed reform after reform. Small wonder, then, that the Habsburgs were able to unite the smaller minds and tracts of Central Europe against us.

All that aside, how loving cool is it that as plucky little Prussia Im able to pose a credible threat to a united HRE? This patch owns, development owns, forts are incredible, God bless Wiz. Alea iacta

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GSD posted:

Breton was moved to the French culture group, so France auto-accepts them. :ssh:
Next thing you know they're going to make the Irish British...

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

How the heck do I reveal Terra Incognita on islands? The game doesn't let me land conquistadors on them, and my explorers on ships don't seem to be able to "find" them.
hit explore coast in the autoexplore area

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Erm, I ran out of things to auto-explore. I restarted the game but no good, there's no way to explore California like in my last Japan run. Known problem?

is your Dip tech high enough?

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm starting to really hate the new garrison system. I have zero fort maintenance. The enemy takes it in one month. I immediately counter attack before the garrison increases from 50. The siege lasts 500 days and I get 12 war exhaustion from one occupied province.

Why didn't you turn on fort maintenance before they occupied the province?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Forts with less than 100 garrison automatically falls in one siege tick.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

After all the dying and coring they did for me I just wanted them to have a cozy place in my empire :smith:

Is there any way to raise your government rank while leading the HRE? Thanks to the League maluses I managed to grab the title, but I've gone from a kingdom qualified for empire rank to a duchy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frontspac posted:

Why didn't you turn on fort maintenance before they occupied the province?

The cool thing about iron man is that you can't pause during an autosave, so if you hit space while the game is saving you usually miss a few days. So I turned the maintenance back on like the day the army arrived. (I was Ragusa fighting Naples)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So I'm the Emperor as the Palatinate and basically every province I own is going Protestant (along with a majority of the princes in the HRE). It's 1549. What happens if I convert my state religion to Protestant? Do I lose the imperial throne and/or my chance to be elected again? And does anything change on that front if I wait until 1550 and the Leagues start forming?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I'm the Emperor as the Palatinate and basically every province I own is going Protestant (along with a majority of the princes in the HRE). It's 1549. What happens if I convert my state religion to Protestant? Do I lose the imperial throne and/or my chance to be elected again? And does anything change on that front if I wait until 1550 and the Leagues start forming?

If the HRE is still Catholic (which it would be before any league wars) then you lose the emperor title upon conversion to a heretic religion.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Arzakon posted:

I think you are probably too far behind. I think I've finally hit a good stride in a Kongo game westernizing in 1543 and I have most of the same west african lands you do minus part of Mossi/Songhai's area. I think getting Westernized is the big thing and focused on not taking any land I didn't have to. Other than integrating a small Benin and taking the minors to the south of Mali/Mossi I made sure to take nothing and be super conservative with ADM/DIP. Hitting Admin 5, getting the +Settler Exploration idea, snagging the Cape, and then hitting Dip 7 were priority.

Yeah that sounds about right. I conquered a lot of stuff because I figured I'd need lots of money to colonize, and because I was conquering I set my focus to military. I didn't westernize till 1650 and by that point it was too late to snowball hard enough.

Arzakon posted:

Question about Reforming/Westernizing as Kongo... I saw the "Reform your Government" greyed out decision occasionally while playing and figured I might have to do that before Westernizing. But right before my colony completed a 3/5/3 Pretender popped up which got rid of my poo poo heir... and flipped me to Despotic Monarchy. Did I just hit the jackpot of not having to complete Administrative and lost 5 stability or would have I been able to westernize regardless?

I think you become a monarchy when you westernize regardless, but I'm not 100% sure. I didn't have to reform the government either, at any rate.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Why the hell does this drat centre of reformation keep targeting my provinces instead of the million other non reformed provinces around it. They haven't stopped since I gotten the provinces, it's like, wow.

Have you embraced the Counter-Reformation? I believe doing so makes you immune to conversion by centres of reformation, so if you haven't and all your neighbours have, good luck.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nothing to seehere posted:

Have you embraced the Counter-Reformation? I believe doing so makes you immune to conversion by centres of reformation, so if you haven't and all your neighbours have, good luck.

It doesn't.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

is there a reliable way to get revolutionary rebels to spawn (outside of the revolution disaster)?

Edit: also, is it possible to get vassals to swap provinces at all?

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 30, 2015

Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf

It would be a bit odd for a Muslim to embrace the counter-reformation.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
If you have bad tolerance of heretics you're less likely to have provinces targeted by reformation center, and conversion would be way slower. Unless of course your province is adjascent to that center, those are converted regardless.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Not mine, but:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
If you're the leader of the HRE and remove a heretical state as an elector, can you give the elector title to yourself or does it have to go to someone who's not an emperor? Basically i have to become an elector as Brandenburg so I can form Prussia without leaving the empire.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 30, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Elman posted:

Not mine, but:

Good.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Back To 99 posted:

If you're the leader of the HRE and remove a heretical state as an elector, can you give the elector title to yourself or does it have to go to someone who's not an emperor? Basically i have to become an elector as Brandenburg so I can form Prussia without leaving the empire.

How did you lose the electorate? Brandenburg starts as elector.
Emperor can't make himself or vassal an elector, and AI emperor heavily prefers small theocracies when picking who to give electorate, it also hates large kingdoms so much it'll rather stay with insufficient elector number(for example when imperial religion was established and there are too few small princes of that religion)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 30, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Pyromancer posted:

How did you lose the electorate? Brandenburg starts as elector.
Emperor can't make himself or vassal an elector, and AI emperor heavily prefers small theocracies when picking who to give electorate, it also hates large kingdoms so much it'll rather stay with insufficient elector number.

Oh, I'm stupid! This was all just planning ahead for my next game with the new patch and I thought Brandenburg didn't start as an elector :cripes:

Thank you!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Elman posted:

Not mine, but:

Vicky2.jpg

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Picked up Common Sense and with the low countries situation being so different now, thought I'd try out Holland rather than Burgundy. Burgundy's duke bites the dust very early on and Austrian Netherlands becomes a fact, immediately absorbing Flanders and Brabant. It's 1580 now and besides the OPMs I've conquered (gelre friesland utrecht) I haven't seen a single revolt stack pop up in the southern Netherlands. Playing Burgundy these would have shown up by now. Has this event chain been reworked or does it not "work" because there's a human controlled nation with Dutch as primary culture?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

Picked up Common Sense and with the low countries situation being so different now, thought I'd try out Holland rather than Burgundy. Burgundy's duke bites the dust very early on and Austrian Netherlands becomes a fact, immediately absorbing Flanders and Brabant. It's 1580 now and besides the OPMs I've conquered (gelre friesland utrecht) I haven't seen a single revolt stack pop up in the southern Netherlands. Playing Burgundy these would have shown up by now. Has this event chain been reworked or does it not "work" because there's a human controlled nation with Dutch as primary culture?

I didn't see the Dutch Revolts fire in my game either, despite both French and British incursions into the Netherlands. Is it bugged?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is it advicable to fabricate claims multiple times for the reduced coring cost?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

I didn't see the Dutch Revolts fire in my game either, despite both French and British incursions into the Netherlands. Is it bugged?

The only time I've seen Dutch revolts since Common Sense hit was when France's single, inland Dutch province rebelled (forming the Netherlands and seceding instantly), but they got crushed instantly by France and their ally Flanders (which had taken most of the low countries and had gotten quite large somehow). After the revolt was crushed and France took back their province, Flanders formed the Netherlands on their own. I think it caused some weirdness with truces and such, but I can't remember the specifics since I wasn't involved.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
They changed the Dutch revolt events so you can now choose to give whichever province it fires in 100% autonomy instead of the huge revolt.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have an insane amount of hours in this game and the only thing about it which really bugs me is that right after I get cannons any lovely little tribal revolt I get will pull thousands of cannons out of their asses. Sometimes more than I have in all my armies combined in one revolt!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Allyn posted:

They changed the Dutch revolt events so you can now choose to give whichever province it fires in 100% autonomy instead of the huge revolt.

Yikes.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Allyn posted:

What does that mean in terms of gameplay? I shouldn't count on these events doing anything to get me provinces from Austria and I need to pucker up, loan myself a monster stack of mercs and try to punch the Holy Roman Emperor in the teeth?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Back To 99 posted:

If possible, but I don't worry about it since it dropped to 10% cost reduction so its only saving a few admin.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Fabricating additional claims is a good way of passing the time between truces. Otherwise don't bother.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks, good to know. I'm pretty sure the 1.13 beta patch notes thread just got unstickied. It is coming :unsmigghh:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Looks like the beta is up on Steam now, I just subscribed to it.

Edit:
The game crashes instantly when I try to load any of my Ironman saves from the release version. Not a problem since I was going to start over anyway, but yeah...

Apoffys fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 30, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Back To 99 posted:

In general, yes. If you're relying on the conquest CB, it also eliminates the diplo costs for taking non-claimed provinces.

Arzakon posted:

If possible, but I don't worry about it since it dropped to 10% cost reduction so its only saving a few admin.

Don't forget that the same patch increased coring costs; the amount of admin a claim saves stayed about constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
so I immediately wanted to check, and

ah

• Locked thread