Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
text editor
Jan 8, 2007
bitcoin is making the world smaller,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Raere posted:

i have a co-worker who is trying to get his hands on a 1u server we're decommissioning so he can take it home and use it to mine for bitcoins
yes im sure the 5-year old server will net you plenty of money with cpu only mining to cover the noise and heat it puts out in addition to the electricity usage

introduce the company unnecessary liability for absolutely no reason that will benefit no one at all? yep sounds like a bitcoin plan

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how much is bitcoin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
somebody just said this:

quote:

I honestly don't see where you guys are coming from here. You all do realize you can instantly exchange Bitcoins for real money, right?

It's basically just using an alternate form of payment. The people who think bitcoins are going to cause Wall Street to crash because FIAT MONIES are dumb but I don't see what's .txt about a website accepting them as a donation.

i don't want to say anything dumb by accident: "instantly" is not an actual option, is it?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

prefect posted:

somebody just said this:

i don't want to say anything dumb by accident: "instantly" is not an actual option, is it?

it depends on whether or not you have a tactical club

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Instantly in the same sense that you can sell linden cash instantly. You need to find a buyer, you need to sign up for a shady market, you need to provide all kinds of random identity theft tools to said shady market, you potentially need to wait days for your account to be approved, THEN you can do it sort of instantly but probably have to wait days for a cashout (or the site magically gets hacked if you desposit a huge amount of btc/cash)

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

prefect posted:

somebody just said this:

the most instant sane option i know of involves transferring your bitcoin to an exchange (which is certainly not instant as they wait for multiple confirmations) and then you can sell on the exchange and wait for your withdrawal to be processed to your bank, which isn't instant either. also your bank account is shut down after that because your bank thinks you're too high risk.

the less sane option is to use localbitcoins where you can sell to some guy who will put money into your bank account, but again you have to transfer your coins to localbitcoins and then at some point in the future the transaction will probably be reversed because you were greedy and used the guy who offered way more than everyone else did (nobody makes a profit buying/selling bitcoins at the price the exchanges give!)

i suppose if you compare it to withdrawing money from paypal into a US bank account (which used to take a few days sometimes, not sure if that's still the case?) it can be faster if you just have some random internet person send you money instead, but at some point your bank is going to have questions about why you're doing so many transactions with bitcoin company x or why so many random people are sending money to your account.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crust First posted:

the most instant sane option i know of involves transferring your bitcoin to an exchange (which is certainly not instant as they wait for multiple confirmations) and then you can sell on the exchange and wait for your withdrawal to be processed to your bank, which isn't instant either. also your bank account is shut down after that because your bank thinks you're too high risk.

the context is that a web site has text with "we see you're using an ad blocker; would you like to donate? we even accept bitcoins" in it, so i think this is a good summary i'll be able to use :tipshat:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Barnyard Protein posted:

introduce the company unnecessary liability for absolutely no reason that will benefit no one at all? yep sounds like a bitcoin plan

no he wants to take it home actually. he lives with his parents so it'd be installed in his bedroom

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

being lulled to sleep by the sweet sound of 40mm fans at 100%

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

prefect posted:

the context is that a web site has text with "we see you're using an ad blocker; would you like to donate? we even accept bitcoins" in it, so i think this is a good summary i'll be able to use :tipshat:

unless it's through something like bitpay, which isn't quite as dumb on the companies part, just mostly on bitpay's part

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

As a Millennial I posted:

how much is bitcoin

it started the month at like 220, and has been slowly creeping up all month

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i :love: u how

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Raere posted:

no he wants to take it home actually. he lives with his parents so it'd be installed in his bedroom

oh.... that is sad. give it to him :smith:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
what the gently caress does any of this even MEAN

e: link broken does this work https://bitcoinmagazine.com/21055/new-bitcoin-skill-strategy-physics-game-crypto-collider-offers-unique-hedging-system/

"uhhhhh posted:

Collider is a peer-to-peer game so fees are generated only as transfer fees when coins are passed between players as a result of game-play. Play occurs with a variety of high-quality industry leading cryptocurrencies which allows players to win, trade and hedge between their different coins as their strategies play out.

The game takes place in a virtual physics world where crypto coins take on a virtual physical presence as they enter the Collider Arena in the precise sequence, location, velocity, angle and spin created by the players using their mouse or touch-screen. Each “coin-throw” has a different amount staked on it. The sum dollar value of that throw determines its in-game “weight” in both the physics calculation (ie. influence on the game objects) and percentage of winnings (when they win).

The end result is a first-of-its-kind Bitcoin skill based hedging game that is exciting and unpredictable while also fair and winnable with many second and third chances to profit.

also

quote:

How to Use as a Fun Hedging Tool

Users simply deposit some of the coin they would like to hedge OUT of and play with that coin in many little pieces, just not all at once, and keep playing as long as they can while playing only with that coin type. Once it’s all gone, whatever they have won in that time in other coins, is effectively what they have hedged their original deposit into.

The game points they earn playing can also be converted into Collider Coin, a core product of the game that unlocks special features and strategic ability. Collider Coins can be played in-game for strategy but can never be lost and generate a percentage from every game fee for every holder.
i didn't realize hedge was a synonym for spend

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 30, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Second paragraph sounds like basically a pay to win version of virtual marbles, but with bitcoin

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why doesnt buttcoin start its own "stress test"? (self.Buttcoin)
submitted 19 hours ago by LondonInvestor

I dont know anything about coding or servers or the intricate workings of bitcoin, (I'm just an ideas man), but it would be fun to be involved in setting up our own little "stress test" on the bitcoin network. Obviously it's a waste of money, but so are a lot of things (at least it goes to the nice energy companies in China).
The pure comedy is worth more than:
2 dollar coffee
10 dollar movie ticket
20 dollar lunch
50 dollar dinner
100 dollar night out
500 dollar useless gadget
1000 dollar useless jewelery
2000 dollar useless vacation
So donate as much as you can!
I'm willing to donate 50 dollars to the cause, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people would also be willing to. If someone is willing to organize this, in a transparant manner, and in such a way where they can't run away with the money and be able to report and present the findings nicely, then you are my man (or woman)!
Let's make this happen!

[–]petertodd 13 points 13 hours ago
Find me $5k and I'll make it happen in a big way, with proper tx creation scripts that don't just crash.
This is a serious offer.

Peter Todd is a Bitcoin core developer and /r/buttcoin mod.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
he also misspelled hodler

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
beep boop,I require a financial incentive to participate in what sentient organisms call fun

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

FCKGW posted:

[–]petertodd 13 points 13 hours ago
Find me $5k and I'll make it happen in a big way, with proper tx creation scripts that don't just crash.
This is a serious offer.

I know it's meta, but dear god do I hope that's just some scam

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a two thousand dollar vacation is useless, in comparison to the eternal lulz of Bitcoin

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

FCKGW posted:

have you checked his scammer tag?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I know it's meta, but dear god do I hope that's just some scam

I think he just wants 5k in butts so he can spam transactions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

neonbregna posted:

I think he just wants 5k in butts so he can spam transactions

yeah you're right it's probably all on the up and up

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Peter Todd is the most YOSPOS bitcoin developer there is. literally everything he says is contrarian to common sense. hes the main voice behind the push to keep the blocksize limit at 1MB

theres a podcast of him and debating the blocksize issue with gavin. his voice sounds as emotionless and monotoned as you'd expect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tayter Swift posted:

beep boop,I require a financial incentive to participate in what sentient organisms call fun

idk man spending 5000 dollars of my own money just to gently caress with bitcoiners wouldnt be very fun. 5000 of other people's money, on the other hand....

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

how..~:swoon:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Peter Todd is the most YOSPOS bitcoin developer there is. literally everything he says is contrarian to common sense. hes the main voice behind the push to keep the blocksize limit at 1MB
actually most people in YOSPOS think that it's really obvious that the size limit should be increased

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Barnyard Protein posted:

oh.... that is sad. give it to him :smith:

there are less expensive ways for his parents to supply him with a nickel each month like let the guy root around in the couch for loose change or something
it's dumb to suggest somebody should run up their parent's power bill for that

ahhahahaa did I say a nickel a month what I meant is $0.00039474 a month
you can make 100x that an hour letting your phone play video ads

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

actually most people in YOSPOS think that it's really obvious that the size limit should be increased

i'll need a size vs comedy reward chart here

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Weatherman posted:

does anyone have a link to the first buttcoin thread where the op was a true believer and the first post was "autism kroners"?

good lord, imagine being dumb enough to sincerely push buttcoin to goons.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

unpacked robinhood posted:

i'll need a size vs comedy reward chart here

actually, the funniest thing is that they're fighting over the size increase.

"making bitcoin have more than 2 tps"

VS

"i don't know, i still can't understand this side of the argument"

the fact that they're at each other's throats over something that makes no sense is awesome

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

theflyingorc posted:

decrease the blocksize to 0 bytes imho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

idk man spending 5000 dollars of my own money just to gently caress with bitcoiners wouldnt be very fun. 5000 of other people's money, on the other hand....

even more fun would be taking their $5000 and doing something actually fun with it like going on 2.5 $2000 vacations.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

theflyingorc posted:

"making bitcoin have more than 2 tps"

quote:

[–]thieflarBullish -10 points 1 day ago*

You can transact more often than 2.7 tps, just not instantly (i.e. confirmed in the next block).

Nice attempt at FUD though. Keep it up!

[–]thieflarBullish -4 points 1 day ago
I can make 100 transactions in 1 second. That is 100 tps. They will all be confirmed within 1 block.

What about this are you having trouble with, exactly?

[–]thieflarBullish 1 point 1 day ago
It's incredible that you're having such a hard time understanding this.

It is not "fantasy" that >100 transactions-per-second can be relayed through Bitcoin. The fact that I can go demonstrate this right now means that it is very much a reality. No matter how hard you shove your fingers in your ear and how loudly you shout "LA LA LA LA LA" to yourself, you won't be able to change this fact.

Everything I have said in this conversation has been 100% true, and empirically verifiable.

What is perhaps confusing you, and leading to your present embarrassment, is that the phrase "100 transactions-per-second" on its own doesn't encompass enough information to determine whether or not it would meaningfully impact the Bitcoin node mempool. This is because it is just a rate, without a time interval accompanying it. Once you specify the time interval, e.g. "100 transactions per second for 10 seconds", then we can answer the question of whether or not all of the transactions are likely to be confirmed in the next block. In this example (100 transactions per second for 10 seconds), it is a total of 1000 transactions which could easily be included in a single block.

Now, also keep in mind that thus far I've been talking about these transactions being included in the very next block. In other words, Bitcoin can easily process 100 transactions per second without these transactions being delayed at all, provided the time interval that these transactions are being continually made is relatively short. Once we start to factor in the fact that "you don't actually have to wait for a single confirmation on 99.9% of transactions, because the likelihood of a double-spend even on 0-conf transactions is so incredibly low in most cases" things start to get really fun.

And then we get to things like primarily-offchain companies (e.g. Coinbase, Circle, and ChangeTip)...

Again, SFYL.

bitcoin can totally have more than 2 tps. just not on every second.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Magrov posted:

the only reason why people say bitcoin is limited to 2 tps is because of the existence of a blocksize limit in the first place. if that limit weren't there the system would be unlimited. actually not unlimited, but rather limited by practical constraints (bandwidth/cpu/memory) rather than by an artificial limit.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Magrov posted:

also if you’re counting tps you have to add in the total tps of every company that does anything with bitcoin but off the chain

you can trick use visa to buy bitcoin via square, therefore bitcoin’s tps must be at least the total tps of square plus the total tps of visa

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

the only reason why people say bitcoin is limited to 2 tps is because of the existence of a blocksize limit in the first place. if that limit weren't there the system would be unlimited. actually not unlimited, but rather limited by practical constraints (bandwidth/cpu/memory) rather than by an artificial limit.

come on how, we've all read the wiki. no need to type it all out again here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

this was actually the first Bitcoin thread on the forums, it started with a true believer posting in BFC about being tired of "being PayPal's bitch".

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388352

took 3 months of thread making GBS threads until it spread to GBS and YOSPOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Magrov posted:

it looks like he's arguing that the network can accept a bunch of transactions, which is meaningless, much like bitcoin, and that makes all the difference

• Locked thread