Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It burns before it melts, which is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Not if you are in a suit of it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, titanium fires are completely insane. If memory serves, if you try to pour water on it you get rewarded with an explosion as the fire "pulls" the oxygen out of the water molecules and then rapidly burns off all that hydrogen.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, titanium fires are completely insane. If memory serves, if you try to pour water on it you get rewarded with an explosion as the fire "pulls" the oxygen out of the water molecules and then rapidly burns off all that hydrogen.

As a powder or in the form of metal shavings, titanium metal poses a significant fire hazard and, when heated in air, an explosion hazard.[89] Water and carbon dioxide–based methods to extinguish fires are ineffective on burning titanium; Class D dry powder fire fighting agents must be used instead.[5]

A fire that can't be extinguished by carbon dioxide is scary.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
"Ineffective" may be the understatement of the century right there.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wasn't that the 'Armor War' arc where Tony basically went around beating up anyone he so much as thought had power armor based on his design?
I didn't know titanium was flammable, though :stare:

That was such a great arc. At one point he destroys all the guardsmen suits at a super villain prison, leading to a mass escape. Then he gets beat up by a government built powersuit so he builds a new suit that uses technology he stole from various villains while he was destroying them for using his technology.

In the epilogue issue he has a trippy nightmare about all the damage he's done, but he still doesn't recognize his own complicity. It's one my favourite iron man stories, but my copy was washed away in a flood years ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Seldom Posts posted:

That was such a great arc. At one point he destroys all the guardsmen suits at a super villain prison, leading to a mass escape. Then he gets beat up by a government built powersuit so he builds a new suit that uses technology he stole from various villains while he was destroying them for using his technology.

Also, he beats Stingray (who was working for the government) unconscious only to find out that his suit wasn't using Stark's technology after all, so he was now in Big Trouble. It's a shame they couldn't decide on whether it was called "Stark Wars" or "Armor Wars".

Fun guest appearances: he gets Scott Lang to be Ant Man again in order to steal some information for him, and he gets in a fight with Steve Rogers, which was uncomfortable since he had just made him a replacement not-Captain-America shield for Cap's new not-Captain-America identity.

Also also, it switched from the not-that-attractive Silver Centurion armor to a much cooler red-and-gold suit that had a force field shield in the left gauntlet.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 30, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PantsOptional posted:

"Ineffective" may be the understatement of the century right there.

VIOLENTLY ineffective.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Storm is basically female Thor, minus the hammer.
And of course, that story line has been done.

Wahboom Bada Boom!

From the same issue:

Warlock transforms into the USS Enterprise because there wasn't already enough crazy poo poo going on.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 30, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And given the era it's the Enteprise-Refit/Enterprise-A, King of all Enterprises :allears:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Kill Six Billion Demons

Reach heaven through violence

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Dark Souls 3 lookin' mighty fine.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Seldom Posts posted:

In the epilogue issue he has a trippy nightmare about all the damage he's done, but he still doesn't recognize his own complicity. It's one my favourite iron man stories, but my copy was washed away in a flood years ago.

So, was the whole point of the story 'Tony Stark is a worse menace than the 'villains' he fights'? Or is there something I'm missing here?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

FredMSloniker posted:

So, was the whole point of the story 'Tony Stark is a worse menace than the 'villains' he fights'? Or is there something I'm missing here?

That's one way to look at it. Another might be "don't steal from Tony Stark, because he's a huge dick about that."

Actually, both together really sums up Armor Wars quite well. That said, I still enjoyed those issues.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

jng2058 posted:

That's one way to look at it. Another might be "don't steal from Tony Stark, because he's a huge dick about that."

Actually, both together really sums up Armor Wars quite well. That said, I still enjoyed those issues.

Well, I was looking more to see if this is what the writers intended, or if they were trying to write him as a hero and failing miserably, or what.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, I was looking more to see if this is what the writers intended, or if they were trying to write him as a hero and failing miserably, or what.

I think it was written as a "what the gently caress hero?" kinda thing. Generally if you come to blows with Captain America you've made some sort of mistake at some point in that chain of events.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Well Captain America comes down on him for going over the top, he gets kicked out of the Avengers for it, and he alienates pretty much everyone except his core friends and allies.

So you can argue it's either "Tony decides to make a moral stand about the use of his technology and follows through on it, and drat the consequences" or "Tony freaked the hell out and way over-reacted, nearly destroys his company and loses a lot of respect in the superhero community because of it."

Both are in the text and you could argue either angle. After all, destroying all the Guardsman suits, which he sold to the government in the first place, does lead to a massive supervillian jailbreak. Tony did kill the Titanium Man. He did attack Stingray, a fellow Avenger. And Stingray was innocent, that was his own drat tech!

On the other hand, his own carelessness, especially after losing Stark Industries to Obidiah Stane, led to a bunch of supervillains using devices Tony built to hurt and kill people. Is Tony justified in using extreme measures, including breaking the law and accidental homicide, in order to clean up his own mess?

The books don't really answer that cleanly, one way or the other. You're left to decide if you sympathize with Iron Man, who comes down on the side of personal responsibility or Captain America, who supports the position of law and his government.

Huh, didn't they do that again for Civil War, but with the positions completely reversed? Amazing how much of a difference 19 years can make.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 30, 2015

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

If he/she/the author set up a Kickstarter for a hardback collection of their work so far I'd go loving nuts, this comic is so goddamn good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jng2058 posted:

Well Captain America comes down on him for going over the top, he gets kicked out of the Avengers for it, and he alienates pretty much everyone except his core friends and allies.

So you can argue it's either "Tony decides to make a moral stand about the use of his technology and follows through on it, and drat the consequences" or "Tony freaked the hell out and way over-reacted, nearly destroys his company and loses a lot of respect in the superhero community because of it."

Both are in the text and you could argue either angle. After all, destroying all the Guardsman suits, which he sold to the government in the first place, does lead to a massive supervillian jailbreak. Tony did kill the Titanium Man. He did attack Stingray, a fellow Avenger. And Stingray was innocent, that was his own drat tech!

On the other hand, his own carelessness, especially after losing Stark Industries to Obidiah Stane, led to a bunch of supervillains using devices Tony built to hurt and kill people. Is Tony justified in using extreme measures, including breaking the law and accidental homicide, in order to clean up his own mess?

The books don't really answer that cleanly, one way or the other. You're left to decide if you sympathize with Iron Man, who comes down on the side of personal responsibility or Captain America, who supports the position of law and his government.

Huh, didn't they do that again for Civil War, but with the positions completely reversed? Amazing how much of a difference 19 years can make.

It also has the Tony Stark acts in the way that Tony Starks sees is right consequences be damned. Lets not forget that Tony in the middle of the storyline gets some training by Cap as he is planning on attacking the guardsman.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

This comic has a lot of amazing pages. My favorite is when it was revealed that the seven demiurges were meeting on top of a dead god's skull.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

voting third party posted:

This comic has a lot of amazing pages. My favorite is when it was revealed that the seven demiurges were meeting on top of a dead god's skull.
It's also where the title of the comic is revealed to be a name :black101:

There's a whole lot of badass in K6BD.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

I'm fairly sure Stan Lee claims to have conceived Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist capitalist who built weapons for the government and smashed communists as much as he fought supervillains, as being exactly the kind of character Marvel's "thinking" fans in the 1960s - specifically the university students and counter-culture types - would loathe to see if they'd still buy the comic.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Which is pretty much my point. When Tony was conceived by Lee, he was a pro-government weapons guy. By the late '80s he'd evolved into a guy who took his weapons back from the government and the government feared him so much that they built a nuke armed suit of armor to try and kill him with. Then by 2006 and Civil War, Tony's cycled around to being so pro-government that he's willing to lead an army of super-heroes to round up other super-heroes who don't want to register with that government! And now, of course, the movie Iron Man is back to an anti-government, "screw you guys I'm keeping my toys" version reminiscent of the '80s Armor Wars Tony in many respects. Just, you know, funnier since he's played by RDjr.

It's the Circle of Life Comics. Sometimes you're this, sometimes you're that. Stick around long enough and everyone dies, everyone's reborn, everyone changes, and "Nothing Will Ever Be The Same Again!"

Until it is. :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Despite the wild inconsistency of how Tony was written during Civil War, his argument has always been that he thinks that registration isn't necessarily right, but that taking a hardline stance against it would end with heroes losing and being placed in camps. So, in his infinite ego, he decided it would be better if he ran the entire system, moral quagmire and all, instead of fighting it.

He's not so much pro-government as a coward.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Despite the wild inconsistency of how Tony was written during Civil War, his argument has always been that he thinks that registration isn't necessarily right, but that taking a hardline stance against it would end with heroes losing and being placed in camps. So, in his infinite ego, he decided it would be better if he ran the entire system, moral quagmire and all, instead of fighting it.

He's not so much pro-government as a coward.

I dunno, hadn't Tony just come off a period of time being the U.S. Secretary of Defense? It's pretty pro-government to be IN the government.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, hadn't Tony just come off a period of time being the U.S. Secretary of Defense? It's pretty pro-government to be IN the government.

Tell that to the Republicans.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Tell that to the Republicans.

....fair point. :sigh:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

What If? Vol 1 #44

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That's still one of my all-time favorite cap moments, right up there with "No, you move."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

That's still one of my all-time favorite cap moments, right up there with "No, you move."

Whenever I see that quote I remember that people like this

are taking his advice, and all of a sudden I don't think it's so awesome anymore. Usually, when the mob and the press and the whole world is telling you to move, it's because you're a god drat rear end in a top hat that's standing in the way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah "No you move" is one of my barometers for whether or not a person is a loving moron. If they like it, they're likely more interested in the romance of self-righteousness than applied critical thought.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
In itself it's a good message and it doesn't deserve to be crapped on.

e: I mean it's possible to be the voice of dissent and not be this guy

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 4, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I almost feel like I should ban you or something out of principle for making me look at that image. Why do you hate us so much that you'd do something like that?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
"No, you move" is a perfectly fine message, there's nothing wrong with saying that you should have the courage to stand by your beliefs. If anything, the world would be a lot better place with more people following that message, since most of the fucksticks in society are more than happy to dodge and weave around their point when you call them on it. Being willing to stand your ground on an issue you find important goes hand-in-hand with being able to critically evaluate your own position and opinion. Just because stupid, flawed, and rear end in a top hat people take the same advice doesn't make it not good advice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

In itself it's a good message and it doesn't deserve to be crapped on.

e: I mean it's possible to be the voice of dissent and not be this guy

No, you move.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

3 posted:

What If? Vol 1 #44

Peter Gillis was so great and so underappreciated.

Here is a badass panel from his Doctor Strange #79 (art by Chris Warner):

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

rotinaj posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I totally want a barrel of high octane fuel strapped to my shin in my fighting robot suit, and a miniature particle accelerator apparently strapped to my head.

(I love these old suit schematics too. I would PORE over the Iron Man ones in the '90s.)

My favorite character cutaways are the Samus one were it shows that she's like 7 feet tall and nearly 200 pounds, and the classic Godzilla one. I'd post em if I wasn't phone posting.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

My favorite character cutaways are the Samus one were it shows that she's like 7 feet tall and nearly 200 pounds, and the classic Godzilla one. I'd post em if I wasn't phone posting.

Samus is a fuckin' beast and that's awesome.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
If we moved away from the Zero Suit toward a more ripped Samus, I would not complain.

And honestly, it's not like nintendo needs another dainty princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Preacher #46

First thing that hit my mind seeing that guy.