Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

nothing to seehere posted:

As Ishamel explained to us, the House of El and the House of Zepa are actually separate entities. Sure, we both process to believe in El, but Zepa's agreement that his lands are left alone so he fucks off into the wilderness has a very long-standing basis it seems.

And it rivals the power of El! I think thats the distinction that is interesting, that I never fully realized. Sure Zepa has his own land, and that land is his and his alone - but I always thought it was won by a bargain, or divine senses could easily tell El was the more powerful of the two. Amok makes no distinction - to him, two gods rule those areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Tomn posted:

Edit: As an aside, "This dude taught us more than Ishamal ever has!" is categorically false, so far. There may be a lot of stuff that Ishamal refuses to go into much detail on, but he has taught us a very great deal over the course of our lives - including, not least, superpowers and some idea of the nature of our Well and how not to, y'know, control our strength instead of crushing cutlery every time we try to eat.

Told, not taught. Ishamal gave us a lot of practical skills, but when it comes to explaining how does the world work, he barely told us anything.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1 B
2 I
3 M P

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Task Manager posted:

And it rivals the power of El! I think thats the distinction that is interesting, that I never fully realized. Sure Zepa has his own land, and that land is his and his alone - but I always thought it was won by a bargain, or divine senses could easily tell El was the more powerful of the two. Amok makes no distinction - to him, two gods rule those areas.

Here's quote from Inshamal

Diogines posted:

Ishamal says One difference, no comment on if there are others or not, is that Zepath is not in the House of El, which is to say the land under the temple is Zepathan soil. As is the shrine in Kavodel. The temple are guests."

You know, or thought you did, that all official temples literally rest on land belonging to the House of El, cannot be controlled by local kings or removed, though they can be sealed, you saw one such place on your pilgrimage? In another cosmos every religion claims that it has a connection to god. In another cosmos, most people probably don't really take those sorts of claims seriously? Probably not those reading this anyway? In Ur, a group of people, a group of people you have interacted with many times, the House of El is known to have actual divine protection. Those who mess with it will get smited. You saw what happened when the shrine at the village of Ashkalon was burned.

Ishamal says "Few but Zepath's king are aware of this and that will remain I expect. Zepath's kings believe the appearance of disharmony is an ill idea when by and large, Zepath's kings are in agreement with the House."

Ishamal said "It includes Zepath and Kavodel. I will say no more or less on other places"

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Task Manager posted:

Something interesting - he doesn't point at Zepath and then trace a line towards Baitel - he points at Zepath and then ONLY Baitel, and says "Which god rules these places?" He skips over the donut, and specifically says "places".

Which, one of two things I feel (though it always having been a distinct area as you pose is also valid) it means he senses a god like figure in those two cities (Ishamal? Zepa? Chait? The Leader of House of El?) and wants to know who it is, or, he notices the distinct borders of each as owned by a unique god.

Which means that Zepa's land is not only owned, but owned on a god-level rivaling El it appears.

Or he just remembered the geography of the region and that each of those regions used to be run by different rulers.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

John_A_Tallon posted:

Or he just remembered the geography of the region and that each of those regions used to be run by different rulers.

Or you showed him where Zepath was on the map, and named it, and previously said you were a Zepathan and it is the closest settlement on the map? Maybe it bring the closest made it noteworthy?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm curious if we should ask Amok about our dear friend Azz. He, too, has some bitchin' wings.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

EIP

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Time to actually vote...

1. E Soooo many doubts. :colbert:

2. L: 'I' but expressing doubts about what's actually atop Mt Har

3. P

I would also like to ask him if we can ask him questions. Not a trade, a polite request.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm curious if we should ask Amok about our dear friend Azz. He, too, has some bitchin' wings.

Azz and Ish both REALLY seem to be intent on staying on the DL.

For the sake of friendship we probably ought not mention either.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

John_A_Tallon posted:

That could be as well, for sure - I just find it odd he only points at Zepath and Baitel then - seems in his time there were gods on every block - we've already met two now in our journeys to the south as is. Only two gods ruled that entire area during his time?

It's possible - I just think it more likely right after his comment about Damat respecting borders, he points to the specific areas we know for a fact in Ur have different divine borders.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
3: R. "He is neither a demon nor a Melachim. I have no idea what kind of being he is. He is not hostile, though. He slept for a long time and asked me about the world above us. He offered one fruit for each of us, because he is sad that our lives are so short."

I haven't made up my mind on 1 or 2 yet.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

FoxTerrier posted:

Azz and Ish both REALLY seem to be intent on staying on the DL.

For the sake of friendship we probably ought not mention either.

You're right. Ask about that mighty demon thingy. I suppose he should be aware that there's one running around.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Diogines posted:

Or you showed him where Zepath was on the map, and named it, and previously said you were a Zepathan and it is the closest settlement on the map? Maybe it bring the closest made it noteworthy?

Yeah that could be it too. Not as cool a tidbit as I thought then - him just wondering who our god was, as we live in Zepath and claim to be of Zepa.

We didn't tell him the name of Baitel though - I suppose he could have gathered it being the most massive city of all, surely a god lives there.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
A
I
M

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Voting:
1. E. I have my doubts, but our priests say.
2. L. Something else. "You get used to it."
3. M. Sure. Eat the fruit.
+ SerSpook below
+ polite request to ask him questions, then let the QA begin!

SerSpook posted:

I want to tell Amok, that we are something of a scholar of the various beings worshiped by Man, due to our own unique circumstances. We of course know most of El, for He is whom we worship. But we can tell him some of the stories of the regions far south of Ur, and of what the peoples East of Ur believe regarding El, if he so wishes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 30, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Unless our new friend specifically asks about Ish or Azz by name, or describes them clearly enough that we'd recognize them, I say we avoid mentioning them. And even then, I wouldn't actually say Ish is in Zepath. Just decline to comment because he is our friend and asked us to respect his privacy?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Guess I should vote as well.

EKM Tell him what the priests believe, but we honestly aren't sure - Enkidel is a believer, but he's also a skeptic.

After telling him that, hold out for a question of our own to explain the irritation.

Finally, tell our men to have a Fruit of the Tomb.

If at any point we get to ask questions or take an action, I support the following:

FoxTerrier posted:

tell him of the blue mist that came from our slain comrade and was eaten by the demon in his hall. Ask him what the blue must was and if he can help our friends soul, if that is indeed what it was

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Also ask "Am I a Melek? Or do you know what I am?" However you phrase that so as not to sound dumb.

dyzzy posted:

"Why were you interred here? What are those horrors that have been sealed here with you?"

Everything Tomn asked

Do you know of Shapash, Ishat, or Ea? Who were/are they? They are the Kadmonim main three gods - want to see if he recalls them. Ea is El to the Kadmonim.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oh my god I love this guy. He's totally untainted by centuries of post-Labaras dogma, he seems brutally honest and he could take us in a fight.

1E: His very existence has shaken my faith enough to stir my latent doubts.
2I: ...Or so we have been taught.
3MP: Sorry we ate your fruit mate!

Yes to all questions.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

1.E 2.I 3.M+P Let's play this straight.

This

Plus mention that we need help closing the giant stone block over the hunger demon we had to knock into the pit.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
E
L - I + this is what the priests of El have taught.
M

!!!!! Also voting to tell him that the melachim took our wings, and ask him about our journey to find out what we are.

+ 1 to ask all the questions that aren't inflammatory

Ultimate Mango posted:

Plus mention that we need help closing the giant stone block over the hunger demon we had to knock into the pit.

And this

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting will remain open for a little bit longer.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yphl_63wHHvR8eZKYTKMNLscJwKYTSNbhi3J0j8hetU/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1.  As to his question of who El is...
E. I don't really know. The priests say (Option A) response but I have doubts.

2.  And as to what that "irritation" is, you tell him....
I.  That is Mount Har.  You are feeling El through the gates of Paradise, which lay atop the largest mountain in the world.  Our god El is so powerful you can even feel him here.

3.  Do you tell your Balls they can each have a fruit?
M.  Yes.

This guys revelations, and this place in general kind of prove that the priests are not telling us the whole truth. I want to know more about whats going on.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

And then he asks you "You say the god of these places, his name is El?" You nod. Amok then says to you "That is not the name of a god. Unless one has since taken it as their own. El is a word, one of several in True Speech, for god. Tell me about this god. And tell me what that irritation is." He gestures north-north-north-east again. You declined to tell him what it was, nor to name Baitel. After a moments pause he says "Tell them that they may each take one fruit, that their pitifully short lives may know some sweetness before tragic end. We are hospitable to guests in Amalek and I am a generous god. And you may tell those kneeling they will not be struck dead for looking upon me, they may raise their heads if they wish to see me."

You convey this to your Balls, telling them "He says you can each have one fruit. Try them, they are... really good. Oh, and you can raise your heads, he says he is not going to strike you dead for looking at him." Paebel and one of your other Balls raise their heads, though they are still on one knee. Paebel says to you "Who is he?" You tell Paebel "I am still figuring that out, but I don't think he means to hurt us." Your Balls begin to eat the fruit... except for Uriah who probably fears they are magical or poison. Nahari and Ithma take a fruit and after examining it for a long moment(sensing poison or spoiled food known well Blooded power), begin to eat. Your Balls express their approval! Amok gives a small hint of a smile. You tell him "I ate one of the fruits, sorry about that." Amok considers for a moment and then says "You are forgiven for this trespass. You will not repeat it. Now, tell me of this El."

You tell him "The priests say that El is the omnipotent, omniscient creator of the sea, sky, land and all things upon it, including mankind and the Melachim. He is said to dwell in Paradise atop Mount Har and passed laws to mankind through his prophet, Labaras. So the priests say. I have my doubts." To which Amok says "As well you should. And this irritation? Tell me of it."

You point to Mount Har upon the map and tell him "That is Mount Har. The feeling is El through the gates of Paradise, which lay atop the largest mountain in the world. El is said to be so powerful he can be felt even there." Amok says "I see. I wish to see this mountain. You will follow me outside." Amok walks over to the armor-stand next to the flaming sword and then taps the top of it. The armor floats gently into the air and neatly assembles itself onto Amok's body, straps of gold where those of leather might be, fastening of their own accord. He looks between the flaming sword and spear for a moment, then takes the enormous spear in one hand and the colossal shield in his other and then walks towards the door.

Nahari manages to pull himself away from eating one of the giant pomegranates long enough to ask between delicious munches "Where is he going?"

1. And you say...
A. Up top. We are going with him.
B. Up top. We are going with him. He said he wants to see Mount Har.
C. I don't know, but we are going to follow him.
D. Now that his back is turned to you, grab the flaming sword and cut Amok asunder!
E. Something else. Fill in.

This is a minivote.

Edit: You have time to ask at most three or four questions on the way up, if, he is willing to answer. Write whatever questions you want now. The most popular ones will be picked.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 1, 2015

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
B.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

B:Hopefully he will be inspired and awed by the majesty of El!

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons

Tomn posted:

E: B + ASK HIM QUESTIONS THE WHOLE drat WAY

Althair fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 1, 2015

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

A

:suspense:

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
B. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY EVERYONE.. ON THE WAY UP WE ASK HIM ALL THE QUESTION. AND ALSO ASK HIM TO RETRIEVE OUR DUDES SOUL FROM THE DEMON THING

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
E: B + ASK HIM QUESTIONS THE WHOLE drat WAY

for gently caress's sake people

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B + "There are some really disgusting...abominations outside."

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

B

No reason to lie to our Balls, they have our back. Also, eventually we will need to slay this demon and we don't want the Balls mistrusting us when it's time.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You have time to ask at most three or four questions on the way up, if, he is willing to answer. Write whatever questions you want now. The most popular ones will be picked.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
b

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Ask this question: "I made a magic dog, is your wolf a magic wolf like my magic dog? What's his name? Is he a good boy like my magic dog?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
B. Shhh. No question. Just muscle bro magical adventure.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1. And you say...
B. Up top. We are going with him. He said he wants to see Mount Har.

What happened to your city and people?
Why did you go to sleep?
What do you plan on doing now that you are awake?
Who were the other gods during your time?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Why are Melachim accursed?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

what am I? I know I am not a man, but beyond that I do not know

do you have any idea who my father is?

A blue fog was eaten by a monster down here with my companion died… Can you help restore what was lost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Diogines posted:

You have time to ask at most three or four questions on the way up, if, he is willing to answer. Write whatever questions you want now. The most popular ones will be picked.

drat drat drat

Why do you call the Melachim an accursed race?

Do the names Labaras and Enkidu mean anything to you?

How do you think the world was created?

In the area without, I saw art depicting a blue ball that seemed to be worshiped. What was that?