Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Boiled Water posted:

And yet this was still a better deal than catering to nerds

I'd really have loved to see them put the Fury X in an Apple product and then watch the fanboys try to explain how the coil whine / pump noise are actually beneficial features and we should thank Apple for providing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LCL-Dead posted:

At first I just reinstalled the drivers on top of the existing install as I've never gone the clean install route before.

When Arkham Knight gave me issues and began hard locking my computer I did a complete clean uninstall/reinstall of the drivers in safe mode, though I didn't use a driver sweeping service after the uninstall. I've got CCleaner but didn't know it had that functionality. Derp. I'll double check the Afterburner version when I get home, I'm sure it's out of date.

Clean install is usually best, since you never really know what (if anything) might get overwritten or left behind with the new/old revisions. As for CCleaner, it does some good, basic cleanup, but I've used the registry scan part of it to comb through for any leftover Nvidia/AMD entries to be safe. Driver Sweeper/Driver Fusion is a good app for removing old DLL files and such that get left behind after an uninstall, I've been using Sweeper 3.1.0 and it does a really thorough job (only reason I don't use Fusion is because it moved from freeware to "we'll find your problems but you have to pay us to fix them" which seemed at the time like it came out of nowhere).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Riso posted:

Apple has the bad habit of pushing all the risks to the supplier and taking all the rewards.
They also tend to purchase $x billions of parts in advance. A bad habit perhaps but it's up to a supplier to agree and take the money in the first place.

DrDork posted:

I'd really have loved to see them put the Fury X in an Apple product and then watch the fanboys try to explain how the coil whine / pump noise are actually beneficial features and we should thank Apple for providing them.
I half expect the Fury Nano to get delayed (does it even have a set date actually?) then just happen to show up in the Mac Pro whenever the hell that finally gets updated. And then some more Tonga variants for the lower end options while AMD pushes out more other random old parts.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Don Lapre posted:

Best cooling get an MSI or Gigabyte. best customer service or if you plan on water cooling get EVGA.

Yeah, MSI 980ti Gaming is very cool and very quiet. At 1425 I have around 70 degree temp with under 60 percent fan speed. Man this card is nice with 4K or 21x9 uwide. I am getting around 50ish fps for W3 at fairly high settings and better then that on DA:I.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is there a way for me to trade the junk arkham knight code newegg gave me for a witcher 3 one...you know given that WB has stated that the game is poo poo optimized and stopped selling it because of it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is there a way for me to trade the junk arkham knight code newegg gave me for a witcher 3 one...you know given that WB has stated that the game is poo poo optimized and stopped selling it because of it.

You can try taking it up with NewEgg's customer service, but they're under no obligation to do anything to help you out there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You might actually be able to make some money selling it for people who don't care about the performance stuff. If you're cool with GOG you can probably find someone willing to sell W3 for $30.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Ozz81 posted:

Clean install is usually best, since you never really know what (if anything) might get overwritten or left behind with the new/old revisions. As for CCleaner, it does some good, basic cleanup, but I've used the registry scan part of it to comb through for any leftover Nvidia/AMD entries to be safe. Driver Sweeper/Driver Fusion is a good app for removing old DLL files and such that get left behind after an uninstall, I've been using Sweeper 3.1.0 and it does a really thorough job (only reason I don't use Fusion is because it moved from freeware to "we'll find your problems but you have to pay us to fix them" which seemed at the time like it came out of nowhere).
Just use Display Driver Uninstaller. Does the same thing as Driver Fusion but it's free and updated constantly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Iron Rose posted:

You might actually be able to make some money selling it for people who don't care about the performance stuff. If you're cool with GOG you can probably find someone willing to sell W3 for $30.

Failing that, just ask Newegg if you can have a $25-30 promotional gift card instead. That way they know they're definitely going to get another sale from you.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I installed my EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid kit and backplate on my 980 Ti SC today and it's everything I had hoped for.

OC'd to 1450 it runs 3440x1440 GTA V @ 60fps and hasn't gone above 43C, currently sitting at 26C idle. On the reference cooler it would sit at 84C under load, or around 70C with an aggressive custom fan curve that made the stock fan noticeably loud.

The install was slightly annoying since I had to make two trips to hardware stores to get a hex wrench that actually fit the 1.5mm screws, and stripped one #000 Philips head screw that I ended up just drilling out, but other than that it went pretty well!

I have a Fractal Design R4 case and was sort of surprised that the only feasible place to mount the radiator was on the top; it won't fit in the spare front mount and wouldn't fit next to my PSU on the bottom mount.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
How is the fan/pump noise? I keep idly thinking about an AIO, but my goal is silence, rather than pushing higher clocks.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

DrDork posted:

How is the fan/pump noise? I keep idly thinking about an AIO, but my goal is silence, rather than pushing higher clocks.

For what its worth, AIO's are definitely quieter than any GPU air cooling I've ever heard under load... a caveat being sometimes you have to adjust the fan curve (dramatically in some cases). Now mounted horizontally like that I've had AIO's gurgle a little but I haven't once heard pump noise in any configuration.

If noise is your concern and not so much temps, you can have a relatively silent GPU setup if you set your curve to near air levels (as in, barely ramp up at all until 70 degrees and so on). Some games wouldn't even cause my fans to increase in speed beyond idle about a year ago. It's very effective imo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Riso posted:

Apple has the bad habit of pushing all the risks to the supplier and taking all the rewards.

That's a great habit.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I live on the third floor of a townhouse and it's 36 C outside. My R9 290 is idling at 59 degrees. I want both air conditioning and a 980 Ti Hybrid :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
idle @ 59c. how the gently caress. Whats the temp in your house.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's about 29 on the second floor, 34 on the third, and 38 in my room.

Needless to say, I stay very well hydrated.

e: Context: I am a broke university student. I live with my parents. I often have to close my door because they get grumbly whenever I'm on Teamspeak or whatever. It sometimes gets upwards of 40 in here during the summer. I cannot afford air conditioning.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I've lived in the 30's before, but touching 40's is too hot man for inside. It's bad enough outside. Losing brain cells :v:

edit: hey though, if you gloss over the fact its a GPU and nobody really needs that to live, you can pretend like getting a 980ti is really for your health.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 2, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
gently caress 100+ inside.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Buy a dorm fridge and keep your computer in it :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, it's pretty goddamn hard to sleep in this room. My parents are pretty much forcing me into having all my poo poo in this room every way they can -- I asked about moving my desk and computer down to the basement but since they want wireless upstairs (reasonable) I'd have to run about 50 feet of cable around a couple corners and up a wall, which they're adamantly opposed to (not so reasonable). Any other room on the third floor would also be this bad, and they're all taken (the spare bedroom has since been converted into a bedroom occupied by no one except my stepsister for about eight hours every two or three months :v:).

Basically, I need to find a way to get some real sick airflow through this case because I'm going to die of loving heat stroke at this rate. Is there a thread I should move my problems to that isn't in e/n?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
You do realize you can just run internet/ethernet over power without cable running right? Granted, it depends on the state of your wiring in the house but it should be doable without running more than, say, 70 bucks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You should just move, even being homeless would be better than that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

You do realize you can just run internet/ethernet over power without cable running right? Granted, it depends on the state of your wiring in the house but it should be doable without running more than, say, 70 bucks.

Local NCIX doesn't have any in stock... but one about ten miles from here does. Maybe I'll look into that.

Don Lapre posted:

You should just move, even being homeless would be better than that.

I've considered selling a kidney and getting an apartment, yes.

e: Sun's starting to go down, idling at 58, room at 36 now :downs:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You know cooling the GPU more won't make your room any cooler, right? Might make it hotter!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
How much are window Air Conditioning units where you live? Maybe sell some stuff off on ebay or something and buy a cheap window Air Conditioner for the summer months.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Jago posted:

You know cooling the GPU more won't make your room any cooler, right? Might make it hotter!

(but not running a reference cooler 290 is probably better than running one)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

(but not running a reference cooler 290 is probably better than running one)

Its the same amount of heat

Also buy a cheap window unit

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
*thinks about the $1000 electricity bill I got running a small A/C unit overseas to keep it a frosty 80 degrees*

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Murder you're famil

(Then move into their space and buy quad 980ti and an air conditioner with their money)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Its the same amount of heat

Also buy a cheap window unit

He means, turn off the computer or get rid of the 290 for something with less wattage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Put the computer outside and run wires into your room for the peripherals.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can neither afford an AC or something that has a lower heat output than my 290. I live in Canada where the dollar is weak and the cost of computer parts is roughly 30% more than in the US, have no money, no job, and am a university student out for (part of) the summer.

A cheap AC would be similarly priced to a 970.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kazinsal posted:

I can neither afford an AC or something that has a lower heat output than my 290. I live in Canada where the dollar is weak and the cost of computer parts is roughly 30% more than in the US, have no money, no job, and am a university student out for (part of) the summer.

Have you got a pedestal fan at least?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

I dont know where in canada you are but clicking on ontario there are used window units on craigslist for $30

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you got a pedestal fan at least?

Two. And a ceiling fan.

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know where in canada you are but clicking on ontario there are used window units on craigslist for $30

Vancouver. Never thought to check Craigslist for AC, but I doubt with the past two weeks of 30+ C weather we've been having that anyone will be selling a working one, heh.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Vancouver. Never thought to check Craigslist for AC, but I doubt with the past two weeks of 30+ C weather we've been having that anyone will be selling a working one, heh.
You might be surprised: $80 window unit.

Seriously, 40C is silly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kazinsal posted:

Two. And a ceiling fan.

Have you tried putting a bucket of ice (raised on a stand of some sort) just below the bottom edge of the pedestal fan blades?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

DrDork posted:

Compared to the reference 980 Ti cooler, the hybrid is louder at idle and quieter when ramped up.

From what I remember of my MSI 970 Twin Frozr, the hybrid is louder than that in all situations.

I don't notice pump noise at all but the 120mm radiator fan apparently runs at full speed all the time and it seems to be louder than either of the two 140mm case fans on my Define R4 case. It doesn't help that I had to mount the radiator on the top of my case (instead of in the front, where it would have been behind some sound dampening material on the front door of the case).

I've read that the radiator fan can be disconnected from the GPU and hooked up to a fan controller so I'm going to see about connecting it to my case's fan controller to see what kind of noise/temperature tradeoff I can come up with. I guess that getting a different/quieter 120mm fan would also be an option though I haven't checked to see how easy it would be to swap one of those in (hopefully just a matter of 4 screws or something).

In general, I'm guessing that something like the MSI 980 Ti Gaming would be quieter overall than the hybrid cooler. I value quietness over pushing higher clocks/lower temperatures too and in retrospect probably should have just waited to buy the MSI Twin Frozr card. Even with my EVGA Hybrid running at 40C I'm only able to get to about a 1450 overclock, 1500 seems unstable, and I'm guessing I could have gotten near 1450 (or beyond) on any of the custom PCB cards.

I originally bought the reference cooler EVGA card because I thought I'd be SLI'ing at some point down the road but that's looking increasingly unlikely based on how well an OC'd 980 Ti runs everything at 3440x1440 up to and including Witcher 3.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 2, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you tried putting a bucket of ice (raised on a stand of some sort) just below the bottom edge of the pedestal fan blades?

Kinda what I was thinking - at this rate he might even be better off doing a homemade DIY foam cooler A/C, can't be worse than what he's already dealing with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaC0dlRENk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Two. And a ceiling fan.

Might as well just keep posting on SA and shooting everything down than actually do any looking or research? Oh well. Stay miserable if you want to.