Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The new invasion is driving me loving insane. My friends and I triggered the Martians once by accident, had four of the minibosses spawn that first time. Most of us got dicked over on loot from him so we went looking to start the event some more. We did the event FOUR MORE TIMES and each of those times had not a single loving miniboss spawn for the entire time. Is there some trigger that causes the saucers to spawn or what? It's really frustrating to waste time doing the event and have none of the enemy that actually drops loot spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So is anyone else seeing any bugs with this new update? Like, the different resolutions don't have any effect for me in fullscreen and kinda also gently caress with my desktop for some reason. Game also went into permanent slow motion after I checked my map once :shrug:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I had the resolution thing happen when I first started up after the patch; just deleted the settings.ini or whatever from the Documents\Terraria folder and it worked fine afterward.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think I'm going to try that slime mount method of killing a guardian later myself because I really want a bonekey and apparently the turtle armor method doesn't work anymore.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

So is anyone else seeing any bugs with this new update? Like, the different resolutions don't have any effect for me in fullscreen and kinda also gently caress with my desktop for some reason. Game also went into permanent slow motion after I checked my map once :shrug:

I'm getting constant drawmath errors on my laptop, probably due to the dual GPU setup it has.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

A good house, for a prick.

Also did this update wipe the worlds? That's disappointing if it did, because that means we lost this world my friends and I made years ago:

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 2, 2015

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Also did this update wipe the worlds? That's disappointing if it did, because that means we lost this world my friends and I made years ago:

It didn't, but stuff is saved on the cloud :yayclod: now, so I'm not sure if you can dupe fresh worlds and characters just by moving the local files around.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Theta Zero posted:

Personally I'm more intrigued by the bay window on the right and will be stealing that idea for my own houses.
Meanwhile, I've built my first living treehouse in my Expert Mode world.

It's a little more "baobab" than "redwood" :downs:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dareon posted:

It's a little more "baobab" than "redwood" :downs:

I like it, it just looks like a big fat tree but it's easily identifiable as a big fat tree. In that second photo, you can see I just tried making a gigantic living tree with a beehive hanging off of it, but my friends and I lost interest and so it's sadly unfinished.

As a side note, I really like that design for the bridge. I tried doing something similar but just left gaps in between the platforms instead of placing blocks there. But I'm worried that the inability to fall through it would hinder the flow of movement in the town.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 2, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a better all-purpose light source than torches for mining?

The flare gun is ok, but the light is pretty heavily tinted. I think I want a super-torch launcher :v:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

victrix posted:

Is there a better all-purpose light source than torches for mining?

The flare gun is ok, but the light is pretty heavily tinted. I think I want a super-torch launcher :v:

For late or early game? Late game there's monsters you can summon that give off light. I've also seen "super torches," I don't know where you get them but they look like they're generally a lot brighter. As for early game, there's a mining helmet you can find from a rare underground zombie. Otherwise you're outta luck.

Although you could probably turn off the tint on the flaregun by messing with the lighting options in the video menu.

Also is there still a way to dupe water now? Because they fixed that physics bug.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diamond and ultrabright torches are both brighter than regular ones but they're kind of expensive and ultrabright are only available from the wandering merchant.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spergminer posted:

It didn't, but stuff is saved on the cloud :yayclod: now, so I'm not sure if you can dupe fresh worlds and characters just by moving the local files around.

I actually have clouds turned off by default (it doesn't always stick, or work, depending on the steam game).

I've not done anything but set up a small world and hit quit for later. But one of the buttons on the player, and the world itself on the selection screens was "move to cloud". Maybe it is possible to backup stuff?

I admit as handy as cloud storage can be, I prefer it when it is a backup option over it being the main save. Is that the case with terraria now?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
So I have this idea of making a marble palace in the sea with underwater rooms.

How loving long is this going to take me building it down one layer at a time and hoisting water out with 10 buckets in my hotbar?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
At first I wasn't feeling the yo-yos but I recently picked up the associated accessories from the cave merchant and holy poo poo this owns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there some trick to finding the skeleton merchant? I want to jump on the yoyo bandwagon but he's pulling a no show.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I still need the yoyo gloves to finish off the accessory for it :argh:

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

ChogsEnhour posted:

So I have this idea of making a marble palace in the sea with underwater rooms.

How loving long is this going to take me building it down one layer at a time and hoisting water out with 10 buckets in my hotbar?

Build it, then seal it, then build a pump and pump the water out. You can unseal the rooms you want flooded later.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Having a lot of fun so far. The only gripe I have is how annoying it is to reorganize your inventory after picking it all back up again in medium core. Its very tedious but I feel like the game falls flat without a real death penalty.

If it somehow kept your favorites set I'd have no problem with it.

I saw a suggestion on it which I think is a great idea: In Mediumcore, when you die you should leave a corpse that you can click on to reset your character to the state before you died. Keeping inventory the inventory organized like it was before. Sort of like in Diablo 2 where you can get your stuff back, and other players can take your stuff as well.

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 2, 2015

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

StealthArcher posted:

I'm getting constant drawmath errors on my laptop, probably due to the dual GPU setup it has.

Is it a Lenovo Ideapad?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
is that autohotkey script from the OP supposed to still work?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some trick to finding the skeleton merchant? I want to jump on the yoyo bandwagon but he's pulling a no show.

I'm not too sure. I didn't see him until I was spelunking in hardmode and I found him twice in pretty rapid succession then. Maybe he only shows up on hardmode?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
He appears in normal mode as well; I found him twice down near the beginning of the lava layer.

Nothing but net.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Geomancing posted:

He appears in normal mode as well; I found him twice down near the beginning of the lava layer.

Nothing but net.

Holy poo poo, this literally just happened to me as well.

*swish*

Although harvesting it is a pain in the rear end

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Theta Zero posted:

Also is there still a way to dupe water now? Because they fixed that physics bug.

I was digging one of those vertical trenches to cut off corruption from my jungle, and at one point it was easier to take some water down with me. I had to dig down further than I expected to find a good spot to dump it off. I noticed when I had to go up for air that I kept having to go up higher each time. Not sure if I was imagining it, I placed a block at the water level, dug down about ten blocks or so, and went back up to check. The water level was the same.

In short, water duping is still a thing. Not sure about the other liquids.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Inge posted:

Holy poo poo, this literally just happened to me as well.

*swish*

Although harvesting it is a pain in the rear end

Just use bombs and dynamite and you'll clear it up easily. At least you didn't have your first meteor hit your dungeon like I did, which bricks wouldn't blow up because Expert Skeleton is such bullshit and I only had a golden pickaxe back then. I got 3 meteor head banners just trying to clear every piece I could pick out :v:

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

is that autohotkey script from the OP supposed to still work?

I tried it, and couldn't get it working, but I've no idea if I'm doing it right.

Is this right...?

Install ahk
Make text file, paste text and save as whatever.ahk
Double click file
?

It starts up ahk and it's active but no autoclick. My hand is hurting, can anyone advise please

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Blacktooth posted:

I was digging one of those vertical trenches to cut off corruption from my jungle, and at one point it was easier to take some water down with me. I had to dig down further than I expected to find a good spot to dump it off. I noticed when I had to go up for air that I kept having to go up higher each time. Not sure if I was imagining it, I placed a block at the water level, dug down about ten blocks or so, and went back up to check. The water level was the same.

In short, water duping is still a thing. Not sure about the other liquids.

I think this is related to the eliminating of the "diving bell" trick where you could make a little square of dirt underwater, and then excavate out the bottom to create a little dome of air. Now the new pocket you create is filled with water.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Do fisherquests and get the Bottomless bucket of water. I've been using it to make new fishing lakes in different places and buffing up existing one so they're junk-free.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's also a mystic dropper sold by the Wizard that can be filled with water, lava, or honey (Via crafting with a pool by a crystal ball). I haven't played with it, so I don't know precisely, but it's possible that could either dupe fluids, or suck up mass quantities of fluids to be placed elsewhere.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So the thing where you use those not-redstone pumps to duplicate liquids is gone now? That's a bummer, I liked having those around. Really helped in making lava defense systems not take an age to create.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

Playin' on expert, we went to go kill Skeletron. We died, so we said gently caress it and rode our slimes into the dungeon to see how far we'd get.

There are 5 or 6 dungeon guardians stuck under my friend. They are killing themselves, and he's taking no damage.

edit: they keep coming back after a couple get killed, so I guess you could grind them for infinite bone keys??

Edit2: dude on top let go and now there's 3 of us murdering the poo poo out of em

What's detecting chests in your screenshots and how did you find it?

ChibiSoma posted:

So the thing where you use those not-redstone pumps to duplicate liquids is gone now? That's a bummer, I liked having those around. Really helped in making lava defense systems not take an age to create.
That's news to me and my lava, honey, and water tanks I just set up and filled via pump duplication. :confused:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

If you do find him, buy every Spelunker Glowstick you can afford. It's basically an on-demand Spelunker Potion by holding the glowstick out, though if you run out of actual glowsticks and you use the smart cursor stuff, you will end up dropping them in water :(

For how cheap these things are, you should be able to buy a decent sized stack to protect against that for a while at least.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I fished a shark that breaks all normal mode blocks in one hit. I haven't even opened the dungeon yet :)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

If you do find him, buy every Spelunker Glowstick you can afford. It's basically an on-demand Spelunker Potion by holding the glowstick out, though if you run out of actual glowsticks and you use the smart cursor stuff, you will end up dropping them in water :(

For how cheap these things are, you should be able to buy a decent sized stack to protect against that for a while at least.

I handed down a suspicious looking tentacle to my new dude. Strong passive light and treasure vision in a slot I don't have to look at.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Impermanent posted:

I fished a shark that breaks all normal mode blocks in one hit. I haven't even opened the dungeon yet :)

There's another one you can fish anywhere underground that's basically a better muramasa (faster, more damage) that also counts as a hammer.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
it's pretty funny that rushing a fishing pole asap is the best way to survive expert mode as you can get such great items. All you need is the merchant for the bug net and the fisherman to get started. With fishing quests now saying the exact biome you need to go to there's no reason not to do it every day.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Desperate Character posted:

it's pretty funny that rushing a fishing pole asap is the best way to survive expert mode as you can get such great items. All you need is the merchant for the bug net and the fisherman to get started. With fishing quests now saying the exact biome you need to go to there's no reason not to do it every day.
I've found that a net is a really good investment in general. I built my base next to a snow biome and penguins keep wandering in, and they're worth 12.5 silver a pop when I sell them.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

There's another one you can fish anywhere underground that's basically a better muramasa (faster, more damage) that also counts as a hammer.

I've actually got that one too. Between that, crate loot and the bunny mount, this is the first time I've ever been happy with a game's implementation of fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Acne Rain posted:

Ugh I'm having enough trouble with non-expert hard mode as it is. The hardmode goblin invasion is bullshit, and I got it two days in a row + a blood moon. At this rate I'm going to have to hold out on trying out the mechanical bosses because I do not want solar eclipses.

At the very least Yo-yo's own pretty hard.

Any tips for making an invasion defense? Mine didn't work out that well, but it's my first time trying to actually proactively build a structure for dealing with them instead of just smashing my face into them
Here's my basic bitch home base which happens to work well for invasions (except the Slime King, technically).

Soloing Expert Mode and it's certainly challenging. I never used mine carts before this update but they rule. I have a track going from one side of a Small map (under the ocean, for a hellevator) to the other (just seaside, for easy fishing access). I also use a hellevator going down from my base as well. Given I haven't been lucky in finding any mobility-boosting accessories yet, it really speeds things up. Also having a hard time finding the Goblin Tinkerer, but what can you do.

I managed to beat Eye of Cthulhu and the Brain of Cthulhu, but Skeletron is crazy tough. He basically can't be damaged by anything less than the Space Gun unless he's spinning, and even then. I nearly beat the Slime King but he showed up at the same time as a random Eye encounter so I couldn't keep on top of it.

As a tip for new-starters, the Meteor Armor and Space Gun, combined with a spawn point in the Crimson is a really good way to brute-force the Brain, and get that crimtane game so so right. The death delay is annoying but it won't despawn if you always come back still in the Crimson.