Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There are some dialogue options that could have been better put though. Most of them are stuff like "what do you think about the NCR" but when you've just come from the NCR asking Trudy to "tell me about the NCR" seems weird. But yeah, rope kid has said before that those dialogue options are for the player's benefit, not a hint at having amnesia. Not that you can't role play that way of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Come on, everybody knows that the new canon is that the Courier is the same vault dweller from Capital Wasteland who gets fed up with Daddy's poo poo and runs away from home to start a new life in the Mojave.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've been replaying on a murder everyone run. So far it seems quite resilient to the player being a homicidal maniac which is cool, nothing seems outright broken yet.

Stealth kills are helpful, wiped out McCarran, the Sharecropper Farm and every NCR dude I came across in the Strip but since I was hidden the whole time the NCR still isn't hostile on sight.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The Nuka Breaker might be my new favorite weapon. I did Ghost Town Gunfight at level 38 and it was awesome meeting the Powder Gangers way up the road and hammering them.

Also Dead Money is a lot easier this go around with a non-Guns only build. Instead of hiding for my life and plinking at limbs I'm a crazed bear trap uppercutting lunatic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

I've been replaying on a murder everyone run. So far it seems quite resilient to the player being a homicidal maniac which is cool, nothing seems outright broken yet.

Stealth kills are helpful, wiped out McCarran, the Sharecropper Farm and every NCR dude I came across in the Strip but since I was hidden the whole time the NCR still isn't hostile on sight.

The entire game is designed so that you can literally kill everyone you meet and still complete the final quest.

It's pretty great.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Kurtofan posted:

Nitpicking but it's grazed.

No, it isn't.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Well, he is bison :rimshot:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CaptainCaveman posted:

No, it isn't.

Maybe he just barely hit the divide with those nukes

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Jesus christ I disliked Meltdown so much that I removed it using the console. What a poo poo perk.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

reagan posted:

Jesus christ I disliked Meltdown so much that I removed it using the console. What a poo poo perk.

Why? It's great if you fight at range.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

Why? It's great if you fight at range.

And it renders your chosen weapon all but useless if something closes

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Azhais posted:

And it renders your chosen weapon all but useless if something closes

So have other options? You're not required to use only one weapon. I mean, by that logic Explosives is a useless skill. Or just use a low damage, high rate of fire weapon, since meltdown's damage is based on the killing shot.

I'm not saying you have to take it, but to declare Meltdown a terrible perk is selling it short.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 2, 2015

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Except energy weapons can be pretty diverse and fill different niches until you turn all of them into plasma grenade launchers.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Nitpicking but it's grazed.

Great post, thanks for grazing us with your presence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, I finished Lonesome Road. Things finally clicked together. Sorta. Maybe. The thing about Ulysses is that everything he says can be interpreted about fifty different ways. Listening to his audio logs made it clear that even he isn't entirely sure about his own philosophy, and very few things he says are concrete. The only real solid line of thought for him is the despair he felt when the Divide was ruined and how the White Legs' bastardization of his culture almost drove him mad. He reminded me a lot of Randall Clark, except with less depression and more conflict of ideals. It's clear that Ulysses has a love for history and feels he needs to preserve it, and the lessons it can teach.

The DLC was really open ended and up to personal interpretation about what it all meant, if it meant anything.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

So how does Lonesome Road determine which side you've chosen? By faction reputation or main quest progress? I'm siding with House and don't want Ulysses to think I'm some NCR lapdog.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

So how does Lonesome Road determine which side you've chosen? By faction reputation or main quest progress? I'm siding with House and don't want Ulysses to think I'm some NCR lapdog.

Whichever faction has the highest rating. There's a mod that does a pretty decent job of sorting it out to be quest based.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

This happened to me. The whole time I was all 'wtf are you babbling about man' so I think in the end the effect was the same.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Except energy weapons can be pretty diverse and fill different niches until you turn all of them into plasma grenade launchers.

Exactly

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are plasma grenades energy weapons or explosives?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wildtortilla posted:

Are plasma grenades energy weapons or explosives?

They count as explosives, since they're thrown weapons. I think.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

reagan posted:

It would have been much more attractive if it didn't affect you or your allies, that's for loving sure.

The description doesn't even come with a warning.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What other explosions you cause don't affect you or your allies?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Allies make the game too easy anyway so killing them is technically a bonus.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

What other explosions you cause don't affect you or your allies?

Power fist gauntlets don't as far as I know. Not the actual power fist, but the ones where you attach explosives on the end of your hand and punch people and make them blow up? That one.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

Power fist gauntlets don't as far as I know. Not the actual power fist, but the ones where you attach explosives on the end of your hand and punch people and make them blow up? That one.
Ballistic fist explosions aren't explosions, they're just impact effects that are larger than normal ones.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The Two-Step goodbye, the power fist that does actually cause an explosion, does damage your allies.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Iretep posted:

Allies make the game too easy anyway so killing them is technically a bonus.

They really do. The first time I got Boone I was done with him in 5 mins because he would just blast anything that had the audacity to peek its head over the horizon.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

2house2fly posted:

It would have been cool to have dialogue options that indicate you remember the place, but then the point really is that you don't remember, it was just a delivery route. Dialogue options about remembering the place may have felt too much like they were trying to foist a backstory onto you.

If you haven't talked to Ulysses since Cave Of The Abaddon, by the way, the next conversation will clear up a lot.

The lack of those options are what ruined Lonesome Road for me, personally. Leaving out those options is foisting a backstory on you more than including them would be, because it means you have absolutely no say in how important the settlement in the Divide was to your character. And the lack of those options really tanks Ulysses' significance as a character. They spent a whole game and three DLCs building him up as this guy you had some history with, and then reduced him to a raving loony with whom you have no connection just so they could make some trite point about consequences, and then stage manage the whole DLC to further reinforce it by depriving the player of any agency, forcing you to reject Ulysses' arguments wholesale, and further forcing you to choose between making the divide worse so Ulysses can chastise you for it or just literally leaving the DLC half-finished forever.

Lonesome Road ended up being a real disappointment, I felt. It had so much potential, but it ended up just being a long corridor filled with monsters and a lecture about RPG quest mechanics where your only dialogue options were "you're wrong" or "I don't know what you're talking about", every time you got so say anything. It felt like a 14-year old's first home brew dungeon in D&D, where collaborative storytelling was a foreign concept, and making a point was more important than making it fun.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
"Bears. Bulls. Battlestar Galactica." -Ulysses

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Reveilled posted:

The lack of those options are what ruined Lonesome Road for me, personally. Leaving out those options is foisting a backstory on you more than including them would be, because it means you have absolutely no say in how important the settlement in the Divide was to your character. And the lack of those options really tanks Ulysses' significance as a character. They spent a whole game and three DLCs building him up as this guy you had some history with, and then reduced him to a raving loony with whom you have no connection just so they could make some trite point about consequences, and then stage manage the whole DLC to further reinforce it by depriving the player of any agency, forcing you to reject Ulysses' arguments wholesale, and further forcing you to choose between making the divide worse so Ulysses can chastise you for it or just literally leaving the DLC half-finished forever.

Lonesome Road ended up being a real disappointment, I felt. It had so much potential, but it ended up just being a long corridor filled with monsters and a lecture about RPG quest mechanics where your only dialogue options were "you're wrong" or "I don't know what you're talking about", every time you got so say anything. It felt like a 14-year old's first home brew dungeon in D&D, where collaborative storytelling was a foreign concept, and making a point was more important than making it fun.

He's not a raving lunatic he's just unaware of how you couldn't know what you did (it was an innocuous delivery to you, there's no reason that the Courier would place any importance on the Divide). It's like complaining that you didn't know you were carrying a platinum chip that could control all of the Mojave Wastleand when Benny shot you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Groovelord Neato posted:

He's not a raving lunatic he's just unaware of how you couldn't know what you did (it was an innocuous delivery to you, there's no reason that the Courier would place any importance on the Divide). It's like complaining that you didn't know you were carrying a platinum chip that could control all of the Mojave Wastleand when Benny shot you.

It's only an innocuous delivery to you though because the writer demands that your character feels this way about the Divide. The story demands that you basically not give a poo poo about a town that springs up on one of your regular routes, that you care not one whit about the lives of people you helped become prosperous, that you gave not a second thought to the fact that the whole area got mysteriously destroyed by nuclear explosions right after you made a delivery to the area. Which would be fair enough if you're playing a character like that, but given that it's perfectly normal to play the game as a compassionate helpful busybody who immediately noses into everyone's business the minute you roll into town, helps solve their problems and becomes incredibly friendly with everyone you meet, it's ridiculous to demand that the Courier placed no importance on the Divide. As such I played through Lonesome Road being forced to tell Ulysses over and over that the town in the Divide wasn't important to me all the while thinking "it sounds like this town would have been massively important in my life". But there's no option to say the town was important to you, there's no option to be wracked with guilt over what happened, there's no option to be sad about all the friends you lost, because you're not allowed to care about the Divide, because Ulysses needs to lecture you more on what a bad person you are.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I play the game as a helpful good person but my understanding was my character was a guy who just did courier jobs before that. I'd probably be more well known if I had helped people all over before I got shot in the head.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I suck at roleplaying, besides my Token Evil Man Who Makes Dumb Decisions In The Name of Being a Dick my characters are always "i'm just a nice dude helping people out because it's something to do" guys.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Groovelord Neato posted:

I play the game as a helpful good person but my understanding was my character was a guy who just did courier jobs before that. I'd probably be more well known if I had helped people all over before I got shot in the head.

And if you wanted your character to be like that, that's fine, but it's lovely to require that you feel that way, it's railroading of the worst kind in an RPG, restricting not just what your character is allowed to do, but also what your character is allowed to think. Regardless of whether you went out of your way in your past to raid vaults or clear deathclaws out of quarries, there's no reason you wouldn't be friendly with people in a town on your route, especially one you've seen grow from nothing over the years, on you make regular stops at. It would have been just as bad if you had to feel that way instead, the problem is you have no agency in deciding how you feel about the Divide, you simply must feel a particular way about it.

Compare your discussion with Ulysses about the divide to another moment like that from a previous Obsidian game, your discussion with Atris in The Sith Lords about your decision to follow Revan to war. The moment is fixed in your backstory, you have no way to change it, but you choose why you made that decision, what your reasons were at the time, and how you feel about that decision now. You can agree with Atris in her condemnation of you, argue back, express remorse or defiance, challenge her view and attempt to correct it, or simply state you don't care about the past, or that you don't care about her opinion of you. They are all valid choices which help you flesh out and develop your character's past, and there's nothing like that in Lonesome Road, instead, your character's past and their motivations are dictated to you. Given Obsidian's past performance on this stuff (the argument with Atris was one of the best exchanges of dialogue in any RPG ever made, imo, but there are other similar moments in their previous games where your actions are fixed but your motivations are up to you), it made Lonesome Road incredibly disappointing for me.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I sort of disliked how despite being almost finished with the Yes Man quests and my full intention to nuke the NCR and Legion to secure Vegas for myself, all I got from Ulyses was THE BEAR THE BEAR (Then got a bear coat after I nuked california).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I like the idea of a completely hapless, nameless and faceless slacker courier who just does what he/she is told until the day she/he is shot in the head and then their brain starts functioning on a higher level and they become some Super Badass who either saves or destroys the Mojave.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Reveilled posted:

And if you wanted your character to be like that, that's fine, but it's lovely to require that you feel that way, it's railroading of the worst kind in an RPG, restricting not just what your character is allowed to do, but also what your character is allowed to think. Regardless of whether you went out of your way in your past to raid vaults or clear deathclaws out of quarries, there's no reason you wouldn't be friendly with people in a town on your route, especially one you've seen grow from nothing over the years, on you make regular stops at. It would have been just as bad if you had to feel that way instead, the problem is you have no agency in deciding how you feel about the Divide, you simply must feel a particular way about it.

Your character had no agency before he/she was dug out of a hole by a robot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's not "on your route" it's in an inhospitable frontier zone, and from Ulysses's dialogue you may have just gone there three or four times over an unspecified number of years. By that logic how could you play the main game at all since it prevented you from going back to the NCR to meet all your friends and you're not even allowed to be sad that you can't see them all again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
You're referred to as 'kid' a lot in the game so I can't imagine you're older than around 19 - which makes backpacking for years around the Divide seem a little stretched.