Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

icantfindaname posted:

Dan Carlin ...... is an idiot?

:eyepop:

My impression of Hardcore History is just him bringing on an endless procession of discredited far-right nuts, nodding the whole time and then saying "maybe the truth ...... is in the middle???" at the end

Maybe you're thinking of 'Common Sense'?

Hardcore History is literally nothing like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

not sure Mike totally got the hang of these sound effects/soundtrack/voice clip stuff on the American Presidents ep, some of it is kind of distracting or boring or lowered quality. Like I swear at some point it feels like he just plays a generic repeated musketshot effect for like two minutes and it's like okay I get it, is this an intermission?
Cool ep though.

I had the impression the producer did the audio clips, Mike just recorded the voice over.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

the only other guest i remember from common sense is the former nsa guy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

uPen posted:

I had the impression the producer did the audio clips, Mike just recorded the voice over.
Ah well whoever it was, it felt kinda shoddy at parts. Just random distracting sound effects for long stretches, while some voice clips were high quality and then suddenly you'd have one that sounds like they just got a random dude with a lovely mic to read something. It felt oddly raw/incomplete. But yeah, Mike's actual content was great.

Hardcore History is a little like that sometimes, I think, but yeah it's mostly displayed in Common Sense.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
What race of people is Sam Harris racist against? I'm not a huge fan of the guy and he's said plenty of dumb stuff but if you're going to criticize him or Dan Carlin for doing a podcast with him you should at least give a more nuanced criticism than that. I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I'm assuming Carlin isn't going to jump into the new atheist bandwagon with Harris. Besides, if you've listened to enough of the common sense podcasts you'd know Carlin has a huge man crush on Glenn Greenwald, one of Harris' arch twitter enemies.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
He has some very strong opinions on Islam, iirc

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheFallenEvincar posted:

not sure Mike totally got the hang of these sound effects/soundtrack/voice clip stuff on the American Presidents ep, some of it is kind of distracting or boring or lowered quality. Like I swear at some point it feels like he just plays a generic repeated musketshot effect for like two minutes and it's like okay I get it, is this an intermission?
Cool ep though.

Having not had a chance to listen to it yet, I'm just going to assume all the musket fire sounds were just to underline how Washington just could not be hit with a bullet.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ah well whoever it was, it felt kinda shoddy at parts. Just random distracting sound effects for long stretches, while some voice clips were high quality and then suddenly you'd have one that sounds like they just got a random dude with a lovely mic to read something. It felt oddly raw/incomplete. But yeah, Mike's actual content was great.

Hardcore History is a little like that sometimes, I think, but yeah it's mostly displayed in Common Sense.

The random gunshot intermissions have nothing on getting some dude to just read the whole Declaration of Independence for no reason.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

uPen posted:

The random gunshot intermissions have nothing on getting some dude to just read the whole Declaration of Independence for no reason.

Yeah I got to that bit (complete with soaring triumphal music) this morning and holy poo poo it was annoying.

It's also reminded how much I hate Mike Duncan using the word "famous" to describe something, because it's invariably used to describe something that as a non-American I have literally no idea about!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Gyges posted:

Having not had a chance to listen to it yet, I'm just going to assume all the musket fire sounds were just to underline how Washington just could not be hit with a bullet.

It's like long loud continuous beeping with weird nu-synth stuff and wispy piano on the 10 US Presidents. It's awful. People are literally tweeting at him to get him to stop it. His response:

quote:

@10USAp: @TrumansHuman @HardcoreHistory thanks for the feedback, we are trying to create cinema for the ears We know that its not for everyone though

Cinema for the ears.

I haven't listened to Carlin's episode, but having listened through a lot of Duncan, it's clear the orchestrater of the podcast has no idea how to compliment Duncan.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not trying to nit-pick here, but at the end of the episode Mike Duncan says that Washington state is the only state in the US named after a person. But surely Louisiana would fall in this category as well? I'm not an American so maybe there's something I'm missing?

webmeister fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 1, 2015

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

webmeister posted:

Not trying to nit-pick here, but at the end of the episode Mike Duncan says that Washington state is the only state in the US named after a person. But surely Louisiana would fall in this category as well? I'm not an American so maybe there's something I'm missing?

Maybe he meant by the person's literal name being used? Otherwise there are other states like Georgia, Louisiana (as you said), the Carolinas, Maryland, Pennsylvanian and the Virginias are all named after people in some way.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also Florida is named after a rapper.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

webmeister posted:

Also Maryland.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
"You Must Remember This" is killing it (pun not intended) with their extended Charles Manson series. I was initially not interested in it at all, feeling like Manson is well-trodden ground, but yesterday I decided to give it a listen anyways and now I am almost caught up. It's absolutely riveting stuff, really placing the emphasis less on Manson himself and how the culture of Hollywood at the time informed the murders. It's also really digging into these supporting and tangential names associated with the murders and building this giant patchwork tapestry of connections between episodes, slowly building the complete story. She is developing SUCH a vivid picture of Hollywood at the time. I can't recommend it enough. The Dennis Wilson episode floored me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Cinema for the ears.

That line was from someone who has no clue how cinema or radio drama works.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pillsburysoldier posted:

Cinema for the ears.

Ok, that's just idiotic.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

"You Must Remember This" is killing it (pun not intended) with their extended Charles Manson series. I was initially not interested in it at all, feeling like Manson is well-trodden ground, but yesterday I decided to give it a listen anyways and now I am almost caught up. It's absolutely riveting stuff, really placing the emphasis less on Manson himself and how the culture of Hollywood at the time informed the murders. It's also really digging into these supporting and tangential names associated with the murders and building this giant patchwork tapestry of connections between episodes, slowly building the complete story. She is developing SUCH a vivid picture of Hollywood at the time. I can't recommend it enough. The Dennis Wilson episode floored me.

Seconding this. Really enjoying the Manson episodes.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

pillsburysoldier posted:

I haven't listened to Carlin's episode, but having listened through a lot of Duncan, it's clear the orchestrater of the podcast has no idea how to compliment Duncan.

Yeah, I get what he's going for (despite "cinema for the ears" being the most pretentious phrase I've heard this week) but it really doesn't gel with Duncan at all.

Works a lot better with Carlin but that has a lot to do with his voice and presentation just being more theatrical instead of Duncan's conversational tone.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just don't think it was done as well for Duncan's ep as it was with Carlin's. There's just long inexplicable musketshot interludes, distracting effects, certain speech clips that just randomly sound like a dude with a lovely mic, deciding to do the whole Declaration, etc.
I mean I guess I could hear Carlin in his showmanship pulling it off but honestly a lot of the effects and clips just felt bad/random/obtrusive in a way I don't think was true for the Nixon ep as much,

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I just don't think it was done as well for Duncan's ep as it was with Carlin's. There's just long inexplicable musketshot interludes, distracting effects, certain speech clips that just randomly sound like a dude with a lovely mic, deciding to do the whole Declaration, etc.
I mean I guess I could hear Carlin in his showmanship pulling it off but honestly a lot of the effects and clips just felt bad/random/obtrusive in a way I don't think was true for the Nixon ep as much,

For me part of it was the Nixon episode it was actually Nixon speaking. It was neat to hear clips from the man himself, his own words while Dan was walking through the story. In the Washington episode at first I thought they were taking it from movies or something but then I realized that A: No way they can afford licensing audio from a movie and B: no movie would have someone so incredibly flat and boring read the declaration of independence in its entirety.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Stephen Colbert does a pretty good Dan Carlin impression. (Start it at about 3:25 or so)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ChetReckless posted:

Stephen Colbert does a pretty good Dan Carlin impression. (Start it at about 3:25 or so)

Ageeen

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
He could have released a full episode of hardcore history as a voice actor for dan carlin and I honestly would not have heard the difference

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hee. That was pretty amusing. :golfclap:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The thing with 10USP is that it appears that the entire thing is done over something like Skype. There is definitely a part of the Washington episode where Duncan has some lost packets and the audio fucks up mid sentence. He would definitely be better off letting the various pod casters use their own setups, record the blurb and send him the raw audio data for him to edit. The guy running it has some good ideas, the Nixon episode using audio from Nixon himself and various clips of the committee hearings was an excellent choice; but obviously Washington's life occurred before the advent of recording audio so accommodations had to be made. I didn't mind the choice of the Declaration of Independence being read in it's entirety since I'm fairly positive most people in America have not heard the entire thing. The Declaration of Independence segment was alright, the guy did a decent job. Other portions were either over acted or just outright done terribly.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

YouTuber posted:

The thing with 10USP is that it appears that the entire thing is done over something like Skype. There is definitely a part of the Washington episode where Duncan has some lost packets and the audio fucks up mid sentence. He would definitely be better off letting the various pod casters use their own setups, record the blurb and send him the raw audio data for him to edit. The guy running it has some good ideas, the Nixon episode using audio from Nixon himself and various clips of the committee hearings was an excellent choice; but obviously Washington's life occurred before the advent of recording audio so accommodations had to be made. I didn't mind the choice of the Declaration of Independence being read in it's entirety since I'm fairly positive most people in America have not heard the entire thing. The Declaration of Independence segment was alright, the guy did a decent job. Other portions were either over acted or just outright done terribly.

Yeah doing something like the FPlus Podcast does would be preferable. All the cast members record individually while still talking over skype or something and all the recordings get spliced in afterwards.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Are there good recommendations for left-wing political podcasts? I've only listened to Slate's Political Gabfest so far.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Are there good recommendations for left-wing political podcasts? I've only listened to Slate's Political Gabfest so far.

Slate also puts out Podcast for America which is specifically about the run up to the next General Election. It's a fairly informal podcast hosted by three journalists. It's not explicitly liberal in its mission but the hosts all definitely lean that way.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

toanoradian posted:

Best of the Left collects clips from lots of sources to put together themed episodes. I used to listen regularly until I got burned out on politics, but it's a well put together show. Sifting through the source material should point towards lots of other options as well.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I have listened to the first 44 episodes of this show in the last 5 days. It is FANTASTIC. I listen to tons of podcasts and this is one of the best.

I'm on the second Manson episode and I'm already sad I'm catching up to current.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 6, 2015

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
You Must Remember This really is phenomenal, it's pretty nuts how much time and effort must go into every episode. Impressed that Karina can keep up a weekly pace (with pretty short breaks between 'series')

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

adebisi lives posted:

What race of people is Sam Harris racist against? I'm not a huge fan of the guy and he's said plenty of dumb stuff but if you're going to criticize him or Dan Carlin for doing a podcast with him you should at least give a more nuanced criticism than that. I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I'm assuming Carlin isn't going to jump into the new atheist bandwagon with Harris. Besides, if you've listened to enough of the common sense podcasts you'd know Carlin has a huge man crush on Glenn Greenwald, one of Harris' arch twitter enemies.

If you listen to a little bit of Sam Harris you'll think he's vehemently anti-Islam.

If you listen to more of him you'll realize he's vehemently anti-Abrahamic religion in its entirety.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

toanoradian posted:

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow show puts every day's complete show in audio podcast form.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Are there any good podcasts on finance and the economy out there? Like one not necessarily about US specifics all the time, since I'm in Europe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Are there any good podcasts on finance and the economy out there? Like one not necessarily about US specifics all the time, since I'm in Europe.

NPR's Planet Money is a short bite of an economics story broken down in a way that is very understandable for laymen. Episodes are only about ten minutes long, typically, but it's a nice primer to getting some better knowledge than what your typical news story gives you.

EconTalk is probably the best economics podcast in terms of content. It's an interview show and it dives a bit deeper into economics than Planet Money, which means that sometimes topics are things that only economists could really be interested in. The host is firmly libertarian (of the practical variety, not Internet libertarian) if that matters to you, though it mainly comes up with him getting into polite disagreements with his guests. People tend to really hash out their views on the show, it isn't simply a "guest says whatever they want while the host gives polite agreement" thing. It's more like an academic debate when there's a guest that he strongly disagrees with and that prevents things from getting polemic. Personally, I only listen to the show when it's a topic I'm interested in; the practical discussions are much more interesting than the economic theory ones in my eyes.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I swore off Planet Money a few years ago, I'm not 100% sure I remember why but I am pretty sure it involved them going all David Cameron on "welfare queens."

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I listen to and enjoy Planet Money. Finance and business are not my area of expertise so I'm not able to evaluate their general accuracy but I can say that they do a lot of genuinely interesting stories. The podcasts are a good length (15-25 mins) and they are professional produced.

I haven't really noticed any tonal issues that I've heard some complain about but I've only been listening for about a year so its possible that there may have been a regime change somewhere along the line?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Malloreon posted:

If you listen to a little bit of Sam Harris you'll think he's vehemently anti-Islam.

If you listen to more of him you'll realize he's vehemently anti-Abrahamic religion in its entirety.

Sounds like racism!

- Ben Affleck, other guy in this thread, tons of lazy pc liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
drat political correctness strikes again!