Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I think two Nurses will spawn if you're in multiplayer, but only one of the rest of them. And the Nurses thing might not even be true any more, it's been a very long time since I saw that happen.

It was true I thing it got removed in 1.1.

also there is now an infinite water bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Is expert intended to be played with a new character, or is it sort of a NG+ after hardmode? I don't want to play through a normal world and have everything be too easy when I try out expert.

It's meant to be played with a new character. By my estimation, a fully decked out character from a non-expert world would breeze through 75% of the expert bosses on snooze mode.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
For finding the Skeleton Merchant, I've had decent luck looking in Marble biomes underground. Feels like most of the times I've found him have been in Marble biomes, but that may be just because they're so large and open.

For the Tax Collector, buy a few purification powders and go to hell. You may find a tortured soul enemy down there, if you do, DO NOT KILL IT, insteead throw purification powder on it, and bam! Tax collector.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pakled posted:

It's meant to be played with a new character. By my estimation, a fully decked out character from a non-expert world would breeze through 75% of the expert bosses on snooze mode.

A mid-game character might have more luck with Expert Mode than a pure copper-dildo-and-undies new start. I went into Expert Mode with an early Hardmode character and it's easy enough, although the dungeon comes close to killing me when I'm not paying attention.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
From what it sounds like, even a fresh character will do fine if you beeline into fishing at the start of expert to get some decent equipment.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tamayachi posted:

From what it sounds like, even a fresh character will do fine if you beeline into fishing at the start of expert to get some decent equipment.

Can confirm that fishing owns. I took a break from normal progression to try it out and ended up with a mount and hermes boots (which I hadn't been able to find previously) within the first five quests. Of course, getting to the ocean to wake up the angler can be a hassle on a 100% fresh character, but it's not unmanageable.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

ChibiSoma posted:

For all the quality of life improvements there've been, fishing is still dumb because you have to hunt down bait manually. The Dryad sells acorns so you don't have to wait to get them from trees. I'd fish more and actually do the Angler's quest if he at least sold Worms to use. I'd rather be doing anything than hunting Worms during a rainstorm.

That said, dude at least gave me the Fish Hook for doing my first quest. It might be the dumbest grappling hook in the game and I love it.

Clear cut the jungle and break the rocks and plants that respawn. Sluggies and buggies as far as the eye can see.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Someone was bitching about fishing bait earlier, if you place a bunch of mud and then plant jungle grass seeds, it'll automatically grow big jungle plants. Cut them down occasionally with a pickaxe and jungle grubs will pop out. The seeds will spread through all the mud, so you can make a gigantic runway of jungle plants to farm for bait.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Oh good, I just realized through my fourth time fighting the Moon Lord that my Spectre Hood healing ability is negated.

gj Re-Logic for loving me over without knowing it. :thumbsup:

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

symbolic posted:

Oh good, I just realized through my fourth time fighting the Moon Lord that my Spectre Hood healing ability is negated.

gj Re-Logic for loving me over without knowing it. :thumbsup:

Yeah it was part of the 1.3.0.3 patch. I'm sure other strategies will pop up (for example, I'm pretty sure you can still gain health by hitting other enemies, I swear at times during the fight I was getting life back somehow) but for now it seems the Moon Lord is meant to be defeated by crazy preparation or just a whole team throwing themselves at him constantly. Maybe it's just me but I still think the Potion Sickness debuff needs to be reduced by like 15 seconds (apart from the Philosopher's Stone) and it'd be nice if there was an item that let someone play healer (like, I dunno, a staff that lets you use a healing potion in your inventory on someone else with its own separate debuff timer?) if Red's really pushing for a more multiplayer experience.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 4, 2015

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Life Steal is only negated when he's licking you.

Moon Lord only disappears when you die so every single one of my solo kills on it involved teleporting across the map to my nurse for a sippie.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

For finding the Skeleton Merchant, I've had decent luck looking in Marble biomes underground. Feels like most of the times I've found him have been in Marble biomes, but that may be just because they're so large and open.

For the Tax Collector, buy a few purification powders and go to hell. You may find a tortured soul enemy down there, if you do, DO NOT KILL IT, insteead throw purification powder on it, and bam! Tax collector.

This skeleton merchant has been all over the place for me, literally. I can't go 15 minutes of spelunking past underground without seeing him atleast several times. Hes everywhere.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

work in progress

the switch on the tree pulls back a grave for fun time skeleton alchemy :unsmigghh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Walrus Pete posted:

Can confirm that fishing owns. I took a break from normal progression to try it out and ended up with a mount and hermes boots (which I hadn't been able to find previously) within the first five quests. Of course, getting to the ocean to wake up the angler can be a hassle on a 100% fresh character, but it's not unmanageable.

I have about 40 pairs of Hermes Boots I've collected during my vain efforts at acquiring a Lava Charm, do you want one? :argh:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Really like that tower Oddium.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

oddium posted:

work in progress

the switch on the tree pulls back a grave for fun time skeleton alchemy :unsmigghh:

Now that looks bad as gently caress.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Wyvernil posted:

Anyone else got bases to share(whether finished or in progress)?

Here's my granite tower in-progress.... thing.

I'm planning to have it go right through the floating island and end up in space, but :effort:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

oddium posted:

work in progress

That's so cool. What's the back wall you have there in the skeleton alchemy room?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there a gold standard for terraria server hosting providers?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

oddium posted:

work in progress

That's rad as hell. The little hidden area reminds me of my favorite thing I've ever built.

The cave used to be a dumping ground for dirt and cobwebs back before the game had the inventory trash can. After that was added it was pretty much just a little bit of scenery on my way into hell, but then after 1.2 hit I noticed my witch doctor occasionally hanging out in there, so I thought it would make a cool arcane laboratory. I'm kind of trying to think of a way I can put an alchemy table in there without it looking bad, but I haven't come up with anything yet. That goddamn rightmost arcane rune is almost always blank and it's annoying as gently caress. I've tried to keep the cave itself as close to it's original shape as I could, but I've modified it some, the biggest change being my sloping the blocks and digging out the altar area.

Oh yeah, and get a load of my nerd costume.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know what fucks the Moon Lord Right up? A circular Minecart track around 1000 blocks long, which is easier than it sounds since that takes only around 20 iron. With a standard minecart he's unable to keep up, causing most of his attacks to whiff, though the tongue can still get you, as well as a few small shots here and there. I haven't tried it with the mechanical cart yet, but since that goes somewhere around 66% faster than the regular cart it could be pretty neat.

Also, I think I crushed a true Eye of Cthulu with my minecart, somehow.

BTW, this minecart arena was made just outside the dungeon, with a teleporter taking me straight from my base to the arena, meaning I could warp back home, pay the nurse for heals, then warp back, jump in my minecart and go back to being nearly untouchable.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Knifegrab posted:

Is there a gold standard for terraria server hosting providers?

Not aware of any, but it doesn't take much to run one. I'd wait for tshock to be released for 1.3 and grab a cheap linux VPS somewhere that allows game servers.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012
So I picked this up again for 1.3 and dicked around in a Normal-Small world to get refreshed. Went through most of the world, Killed some bosses, did some things ya know? Set off hard mode and now most of my world is covered in crimson and not really all that fun. Gonna transplant into a Large-Expert even though it seems pretty cheatish to move my stuff. I'd like to get a jump-start and keeping the crimson controlled and it seems the best way to do this is with a 3 wide trench on each side that goes to the bottom of the map? Can you just do a 3 wide tunnel underneath as well or will it still spread beyond that?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The thing about containing the crimson, as well as the corruption and I'll just use crimson to refer to both, is that when you go into hardmode it makes a large diagonal pattern on one side of the world with hallow taking up the other side, together making a large V. There's no way to know beforehand which side of the V is going to be taken by the crimson. Furthermore, whenever you smash an altar one random bit of stone in the cavern layer will be converted into crimson.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

Akett posted:

The thing about containing the crimson, as well as the corruption and I'll just use crimson to refer to both, is that when you go into hardmode it makes a large diagonal pattern on one side of the world with hallow taking up the other side, together making a large V. There's no way to know beforehand which side of the V is going to be taken by the crimson. Furthermore, whenever you smash an altar one random bit of stone in the cavern layer will be converted into crimson.

Ok, Im not planning on jumping right back into hard mode for a while, so just tunneling around it should be fine for now?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I guess. If you aren't in Hardmode you really don't have to worry much about the spread of crimson.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I was looking at the gamepedia wiki and I saw something really, realy dumb.

Who would have thought that a cell phone was a reference to a Kirby game?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

There's been more tenuous connections made on wikis. Honestly surprised there's no crow barred ET reference in there.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Nezkar posted:

Ok, Im not planning on jumping right back into hard mode for a while, so just tunneling around it should be fine for now?

Before hardmode, the natural crimson/corruption biome doesn't spread.

After hardmode, the natural one starts spreading but also a new section is created opposite a newly created section of hallow.

It's possible to have crimson/corruption on both sides of the map. Planning where it will be before you trigger hard mode is pretty futile.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
What am I doing wrong when fighting The Destroyer? I have plenty of buffs, full Adamantite, a decent weapon (that claw from the crimson mimics that attacks incredibly fast), and an arena that's decked out with heart lanterns. And yet the past three times I've fought it, I just can't win the damage race that we end up playing! Should I be doing the Twins first or something?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

According to the wiki the Starfury got buffed to 31 damage, but I just found one and it's weaker than that, even when I got lucky and reforged it into legendary. Was it de-buffed or something?

I'm building a Sky Railroad to find all the islands / get quick transportation :smithicide:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I was looking at the gamepedia wiki and I saw something really, realy dumb.

Who would have thought that a cell phone was a reference to a Kirby game?

This game's wiki is full of completely retarded poo poo like that. It's really quite amazing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vargs posted:

This game's wiki is full of completely retarded poo poo like that. It's really quite amazing.

Still better than the wikia one.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013

LightningSquid posted:

What am I doing wrong when fighting The Destroyer? I have plenty of buffs, full Adamantite, a decent weapon (that claw from the crimson mimics that attacks incredibly fast), and an arena that's decked out with heart lanterns. And yet the past three times I've fought it, I just can't win the damage race that we end up playing! Should I be doing the Twins first or something?

I haven't fought it in the new version, but I remember the ichor spell being pretty amazing against that thing. If it hasn't changed since then, it might be worth switching to a magic setup and giving that a try. The hardmode staff that summons a damaging rain cloud is also pretty useful if memory serves.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Llednar Twem posted:

I haven't fought it in the new version, but I remember the ichor spell being pretty amazing against that thing. If it hasn't changed since then, it might be worth switching to a magic setup and giving that a try. The hardmode staff that summons a damaging rain cloud is also pretty useful if memory serves.

One of the later 1.2 patches nerfed Golden Shower into the ground and also made The Destroyer immune to all debuffs.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

One of the later 1.2 patches nerfed Golden Shower into the ground and also made The Destroyer immune to all debuffs.

It's a good thing I kept forgetting to use it then! :shepface:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Do dungeons only spawn with one type of lantern in them? I've only seen Diabolist ones in my normal world dungeon so far, and I'm looking for the other ones

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just iced him and I'm a pretty weak player

1) A charm of myths helps a bit, cross necklace does too.
2) Make sure you hit the worm with piercing attacks. Holy arrows wreck its poo poo even if you just have a mythril bow. Or crystal bullets if you have a hardmode gun. Not as likely, but it can happen.
3) immediately clear away probes as they come, they are what deal the damage. Probably use a melee weapon on them.

He is the easiest of the mech bosses but none of them are pushovers.
see meetyourdemize's videos, he was posted last thread and his strategies are actually reasonable and do not rely on rare items beyond mimic drops.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 4, 2015

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Just beat expert Skeletron, might have been pretty overgeared for it since it wasn't that hard. I used a combination of spiky balls all over the floor plus armor, bow and arrows made out of hellstone to take out the arms. Then I did bee gun plus more arrows to finish the head off.

I also had the slime mount for the jump height and speed boost since getting hit by the spinning skull is a one hit kill. I imagine you can easily replace it with +movement accessories, the eye shield or building a long and flat arena though. I forgot to use my potions too but I managed a pretty comfortable win anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
I finally managed to knock him out on my... 6th try (?) by finally remembering to use my Nimbus Staff alongside my melee weapon. It was close, though. Hopefully I can get a Cross Necklace to drop soon, they look really good for those fights.