Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The Talos Principle is a wonderful game what I think is the last bit has left me seething. You have to solve puzzles as a storm approaches from below, there are 5 or so in a row. I can't figure out the fifth one and every time I fail it sends me to the loving first one. gently caress. Off. There is nothing more tedious than playing a puzzle game where you already know the solution. Don't make me do it.

e: Failed again, spend the next 5 minutes doing poo poo you could now do with your eyes closed. Urgh. This is why I never took to Dark Souls.

e2: Thank gently caress, I managed it without a guide, still obnoxious, though. I will say that this is the only complaint I have against it, it's a brilliant game.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Endless Space just gave me some poo poo before, I'm trying to maintain 2 alliances, and together curb-stomp the 5 civilization opposition.

Anyway, I was happily expanding my empire and doing my thing, when I conducted my regular couple of turn check to see if my allies needed anything. One was trucking along nicely, but the other... well, they had 78 dust (Endless Space version of gold or money or whatever) and were losing it at a rate of 13 per turn. They had obviously over-extended themselves and I knew they had 2 of the enemy civs encroaching on their borders from the other side.

No worries, little buddy! I have 4800 dust, and I'm making it at a rate of 407 per turn! Here, take 20 dust every turn automatically, and I'll keep it up until you are back on your feet. Good friends, good neighbors!

Their happiness rating with me went through the roof, they were gracious and our alliance was stronger than ever.

4 turns later, they declared war on me.

Are you loving serious? I'm an intergalactic superpower. I am rolling in dust like it's... literally loving dust, I own more than a dozen star systems, you own like 6. And I'm actively giving you money to get you out of debt! I'm the perfect allied superpower; I'm big enough to protect you, and powerful enough to literally buy/give you every technological advance you could ever want.
You think because you have dozens of warships (that explains why you're in so much debt, dipshit) you can take on my fairly under-protected worlds? Motherfucker, in case you hadn't noticed (by my literally giving you money every turn) I'm rich as gently caress, I can field entire fleets in a single turn by just buying them. Your little war did nothing but gently caress up all your fleets. Now we have a cease-fire, but I think I'm going to have to take away all your toys for that, you miserable little poo poo.

Endless Space AI is loving dumb as hell sometimes.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
There has never been a good AI in terms of diplomacy and not declaring war for no good reason and probably against their best interest. It's only marginally better than the one in Civ.

What drags down both Endless Space and Legend is that on my system when a game goes long they both get really crashy and I have no idea why or how to fix it so I rarely finish a game.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The AI in EU4 is pretty good at mostly only declaring war on you when they are confident they can take you. They are still pretty bad at being your lifelong friends for half the game and suddenly (slowly) turning hostile for no real good reason later on. I mean there is probably a good game-mechanic reason, but not an intuitive reason or one that a player would have done.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Namarrgon posted:

The AI in EU4 is pretty good at mostly only declaring war on you when they are confident they can take you. They are still pretty bad at being your lifelong friends for half the game and suddenly (slowly) turning hostile for no real good reason later on. I mean there is probably a good game-mechanic reason, but not an intuitive reason or one that a player would have done.

Probably "Competing Great Power". That's the one I usually see anyways, and it does feel a little weird when you've been best buds for long periods of time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played an Ayutthaya game where I was allied to Vietnam for more than three centuries, even though we bordered each other almost from the beginning.

The way the system generally works is not that unrealistic, if you look at historical Europe alliances would flip every few decades.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Evilreaver posted:

The new patch (:woop:) also added Expert Worlds, which appears to make all the bosses nearly impossible. They do more damage and move faster as well as having extra stages and moves. I used to be able to take on the Eye of Cthulu with garbage and spare parts, in Expert I had to get a full gold suit, buff potions and a shotgun. The Brain and Skeletron nearly instagib me. I don't know if I can handle it solo at all, let alone hardmode content.

Skeletron Prime's gonna be fun on Expert Mode then.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Probably "Competing Great Power". That's the one I usually see anyways, and it does feel a little weird when you've been best buds for long periods of time.

That and the AI having no qualms to pick you as a rival when the selection gets a bit limited, despite having been brothers in arms for 200 years.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

princecoo posted:

Endless Space just gave me some poo poo before, I'm trying to maintain 2 alliances, and together curb-stomp the 5 civilization opposition.

Anyway, I was happily expanding my empire and doing my thing, when I conducted my regular couple of turn check to see if my allies needed anything. One was trucking along nicely, but the other... well, they had 78 dust (Endless Space version of gold or money or whatever) and were losing it at a rate of 13 per turn. They had obviously over-extended themselves and I knew they had 2 of the enemy civs encroaching on their borders from the other side.

No worries, little buddy! I have 4800 dust, and I'm making it at a rate of 407 per turn! Here, take 20 dust every turn automatically, and I'll keep it up until you are back on your feet. Good friends, good neighbors!

Their happiness rating with me went through the roof, they were gracious and our alliance was stronger than ever.

4 turns later, they declared war on me.

Are you loving serious? I'm an intergalactic superpower. I am rolling in dust like it's... literally loving dust, I own more than a dozen star systems, you own like 6. And I'm actively giving you money to get you out of debt! I'm the perfect allied superpower; I'm big enough to protect you, and powerful enough to literally buy/give you every technological advance you could ever want.
You think because you have dozens of warships (that explains why you're in so much debt, dipshit) you can take on my fairly under-protected worlds? Motherfucker, in case you hadn't noticed (by my literally giving you money every turn) I'm rich as gently caress, I can field entire fleets in a single turn by just buying them. Your little war did nothing but gently caress up all your fleets. Now we have a cease-fire, but I think I'm going to have to take away all your toys for that, you miserable little poo poo.

Endless Space AI is loving dumb as hell sometimes.

After the cease-fire, they proposed peace - on the condition that I give them half of my natural resources. My diplomats may very well have died of laughter. No. We will not give you poo poo for peace. How the hell did you come to understand space travel when you can't identify the simple fact that we hold all the cards here, sucker.

After 40 or so more turns, we're back to being "at peace", but only after they finally de-retarded themselves and offered peace again, this time with the added promise of giving us a couple of their resources as well. All we had to do was offer peace in return. I didn't need their resources, but accepted anyway because gently caress you guys that's why.

Meanwhile, my other allies (who are doing great by themselves) are sending me little gifts and being total buds because I'm "keeping the galaxy safe". What the hell got up the other guys nose beats me.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
After having played Tales of Xillia 2, I'm running through the first game again. It's still a wonderful experience but goddammit the voice actress for the female lead is always so close to the mic and it makes her lisp. It is the pettiest gripe but seriously I have to listen to her for 30+ hours and it is irritating as hell.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Morglon posted:

There has never been a good AI in terms of diplomacy and not declaring war for no good reason and probably against their best interest. It's only marginally better than the one in Civ.

What drags down both Endless Space and Legend is that on my system when a game goes long they both get really crashy and I have no idea why or how to fix it so I rarely finish a game.

Galactic Civilizations 2 was generally really good about this (haven't played 3 yet).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Namarrgon posted:

The best thing about EU4 that a lot of 4X games don't have(except for civ4) is you can just vassalize a nation if they are small/weak enough. No chance of getting betrayed there.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
3 is just as bad. I had empires on the other side of the map with no way to even reach me declare war. I hadn't even known they existed before they declared war on me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I understand why you can't mechanically, since gameplay wise it makes sense they should do everything in their power to stop the person about to win, but it's always weird in my Civ games where I don't just wipe out the other civ on my continent that I'll be in first or second and the AI civ there will be whatever, we're on great terms diplomatically, lots of trade routes, but since the game's winding down either I need to slaughter them, or otherwise neutralize them so they don't gently caress things up for me. It needs an alliance option or something like a client-state system. Or more diplomatic options in general, really.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

princecoo posted:

Meanwhile, my other allies (who are doing great by themselves) are sending me little gifts and being total buds because I'm "keeping the galaxy safe". What the hell got up the other guys nose beats me.

Sometimes I think it depends on the way that certain civs in the game weight their decisions.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Playing through Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut recently and while it is a great game, there are a handful of little things that I hope they work on for future installments:

• When out on a mission and not in combat, when I loot an item my options are to send it to my stash, leave it alone, or replace an item in my own inventory with it. What if I want to give it to a team member?
  • Healing out of combat is unnecessarily difficult. Hit point values are not shown on the inventory screen, so I have to look at another screen first, see who needs healing, go to the inventory screen, select the item, then select who I want to use it on.
  • Clicking on loot/activation nodes outside of combat is sometimes confusing. Sometimes a little circle appears around the icon to let you know that you clicked on it, sometimes not. Sometimes the icon itself doesn't fade in when you hover your mouse near it.
  • Movement outside of combat is slow unless you click far enough away from your character, then it's fast(er). Can't it be that speed all the time?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Recently borrowed an Xbox 360 and a few games I never got around to playing, and I'm reminded of why I don't generally like console games.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Xbox 360): Load screens everywhere. Load screens to get to load screens. And they all take way too long.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

owl_pellet posted:

Sometimes the icon itself doesn't fade in when you hover your mouse near it.

You can hold ALT to light up everything onscreen that is able to be interacted with. I missed a bunch of stuff until someone told me that. Still, I'd much rather the icons fade in when you get within, say, half a screen-width of something you can click on instead of whenever the hell they want.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Shovel Knight is a great game but man, I hate The Lich Yard. The darkness and lightning gimmick is so tedious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That reminds me of something in the early pokemon games, where they had an obligatory dark cave that you would need flash to navigate. Since flash was an HM though it was a permanent deal so you wasted one of your pokemon's 4 slots to get through a single cave. You either didn't bother with it and brute forced the cave or captured some throwaway pokemon and made it the HM bitch.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Anatharon posted:

Shovel Knight is a great game but man, I hate The Lich Yard. The darkness and lightning gimmick is so tedious.

Maybe The Lich Yard isn't the best level, but the darkness gimmick is what makes the end part of Tower Entrance so good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

RyokoTK posted:

Maybe The Lich Yard isn't the best level, but the darkness gimmick is what makes the end part of Tower Entrance so good.

God damnit, for a game largely based on NES hardware limitations (I think the game only uses like, three colors that aren't capable on the NES) Shovel Knight is pretty.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Does it flash so that you have to stand around waiting to confirm if the bridge is broken or not? Because not being able to tell where the floor is, is exceedingly obnoxious.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Arkham Knights voice just does not suit the character at all imo

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Does it flash so that you have to stand around waiting to confirm if the bridge is broken or not? Because not being able to tell where the floor is, is exceedingly obnoxious.

no
you can see where the rain hits the floor to figure out what is solid and what isn't

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Cleretic posted:

God damnit, for a game largely based on NES hardware limitations (I think the game only uses like, three colors that aren't capable on the NES) Shovel Knight is pretty.

It also has a soundtrack made by Jake Kaufman and Manami Matsumae (made the soundtrack for the first Mega Man) so there's that. Shovel Knight's gameplay is past my time but I could listen to Jake Kaufman all day.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Anatharon posted:

Nah there's only one part of the level where the bridge is fake, and you just look at where the raindrops aren't splashing on the blocks to figure it out.

e: ^ Also, while Shovel Knight couldn't visually run on the NES (for several reasons, like wide resolution, parallax scrolling, and high sprite counts), the music actually can be produced by an NES.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Jul 6, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Had an annoying running bug in Arkham Knight where the suit damage wasn't sticking and instead it would randomly reset to clean.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Had an annoying running bug in Arkham Knight where the suit damage wasn't sticking and instead it would randomly reset to clean.
Goon interprets laundry as error.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Dragon Ball Xenoverse's methods to give you equipment are terrible both for Pretty Princess Dressup and actual stats, albeit at different times.

Early on, most of your equipment comes from the clothing shop in the hub city. You can preview the stat changes from those clothes (although they're pretty minor at that point), but what you can't preview is what they actually look like. You aren't going to know what the Orin Temple Gear or whatever looks like until you've already bought it; sure, sometimes there's someone around the hub city modelling it, or it's got a recognizable name, but that's less common early in the game.

As you move on in the game, gear becomes more often doled out as drops from missions (drop rates could be more consistent, but it's rarely too bad to grind out, that isn't a problem). This is actually helpful if you want to dress for the looks, because usually it's gear from one of the characters in the mission; if you're picking fights with Android 18, you get her clothes. But there's no way to preview stats from drops until you have it, so by the time you learn that Android 18's clothes aren't suited for your character's build you've already put forward the effort anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cleretic posted:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse's methods to give you equipment are terrible both for Pretty Princess Dressup and actual stats, albeit at different times.

Early on, most of your equipment comes from the clothing shop in the hub city. You can preview the stat changes from those clothes (although they're pretty minor at that point), but what you can't preview is what they actually look like. You aren't going to know what the Orin Temple Gear or whatever looks like until you've already bought it; sure, sometimes there's someone around the hub city modelling it, or it's got a recognizable name, but that's less common early in the game.

As you move on in the game, gear becomes more often doled out as drops from missions (drop rates could be more consistent, but it's rarely too bad to grind out, that isn't a problem). This is actually helpful if you want to dress for the looks, because usually it's gear from one of the characters in the mission; if you're picking fights with Android 18, you get her clothes. But there's no way to preview stats from drops until you have it, so by the time you learn that Android 18's clothes aren't suited for your character's build you've already put forward the effort anyway.

My brother tells me that clothing stats don't really matter as they're such tiny margins. So wear 18's otufit even if it does hit your basic ki or whatever because unless you absolutely must have the best basic ki at all times it'll be fine.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Rondo of Blood is a great game but Richter is so stiff compared to his Symphony of the Night incarnation, Simon from Castlevania 4, or even Maria.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Haha is this for real? Be among the first to become the mysterious new race, the Japanese Gender Roles

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

swamp waste posted:

Haha is this for real? Be among the first to become the mysterious new race, the Japanese Gender Roles
It's true, only Japan has that kind of gender role.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this? posted:

I keep experiencing a bug where the last displayed on-screen hint (like "Press Triangle to counter!") would stay on the screen forever. Only way to remove it was to turn hints off then back on.,

I know I should "git gud" and turn hints off, but there's so many new loving moves, and I can't always remember offhand what I do when I see a red attack symbol over a thugs head vs a FLASHING red symbol vs a symbol and he's running at me, etc...

Also, did they get rid of disarm and destroy? That was the best loving move, gently caress you Rocksteady.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, did they get rid of disarm and destroy?

No.

quote:

That was the best loving move, gently caress you Rocksteady.

UNCALLED FOR.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

swamp waste posted:

It's because nobody plays the other races except the cutesy ones like the cat people. Hyur and Rodegan are the lowest played classes, the females of those races being the worst off. Square wasn't going to create another human class when the play testers wanted the Au'Ra more. It sucks that we got them before we got the Viera though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well it's no wonder nobody plays the races with names that sound like someone got punched in the throat or a lesser known Godzilla enemy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Hyur and Rodegan are the lowest played classes, the females of those races being the worst off.

To be fair, why would you play a fantasy game with different races and pick Human..sorry, Hyur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Byzantine posted:

To be fair, why would you play a fantasy game with different races and pick Human..sorry, Hyur?

Because every other race is either loving ugly or something that'll get you put on federal watchlists? I know I've felt my racial selection constrained before by aesthetics.