Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jediguy posted:

Makes me smile, every time.

God drat that's a fine looking wee machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

jediguy posted:

Makes me smile, every time.

Very nice car, friend.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
That thing is pretty damned awesome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whoa whoa whoa... The old Raptor weighed SIXTY-TWO HUNDRED POUNDS?

Was it made of loving DU? What the actual gently caress?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Whoa whoa whoa... The old Raptor weighed SIXTY-TWO HUNDRED POUNDS?

Was it made of loving DU? What the actual gently caress?

I can't believe this surprises you. They are monstrous.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'm surprised it weighs more than my Suburban 2500 even with the empty pickup bed. Guess that widebody is sturdy as gently caress or something? Mine's listed at 5,760 lbs, and that's before skid plates and towing poo poo.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 4, 2015

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'm surprised it weighs more than my Suburban 2500 even with the empty pickup bed. Guess that widebody is sturdy as gently caress or something? Mine's listed at 5,760 lbs, and that's before skid plates and towing poo poo.

The 2014 crew cab raptor is listed at 6203lb, with the extended and single cabs being slightly less. The heaviest new F150 is the crew cab 4x4, at 4969lb. Extensive use of aluminum in the body plus an all-aluminum engine will do wonders for weight savings.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i really cannot tell you how loving stoked i am for the aluminum era

Turb
Oct 15, 2004
As a body tech i am a little less stoked

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Tamir Lenk posted:

Got my baby polished and waxed up. Sexy times

Jefinabox posted:

I'm so jealous of the little monster truck look, over here you're not allowed to have any tyre poking out from the bodywork so you end up with huge arches like on mine.

I had a blowout in my mini van while picking up some 7" x 10" split rims so used a split rim as the spare to get me home. The police were not amused and it took all my persuading to avoid a fine and points on my license.

Minis you say?!?!

I was supposed to be going on a tour of the Champagne Region in France over the weekend that has been put on hold due to the disruption of cross channel traffic, so it was a day out on the sunny roads of south east England. Gotten a nice tan too.

My navigator had to pull out last minute due to some unexpected family stuff, so as I would be unable to drive as well as navigating via tulip diagrams I was paired up with another a car to follow. Those folks were my lifeline.

Sitting next to a piece of history (complete with the same grey exterior red interior as mine). The car in the foreground is a Riley Elf, which was a badge engineered Mini Cooper with a saloon style body.

Grey Cru represent.

The machine in the foreground is a magnificent example of an early Cooper S. Its had the same owner for something crazy like 42 years and for such a dinky car has quite the epic soundtrack when the driver gives it the beans.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well unfortunately our beloved Explorer needed a bunch of A/C repair work done to the tune of a compressor, clutch fan, lines, etc. but fortunately, it came at a time when we were looking for a replacement anyway. So we decided to go down to the Ford dealer and drive a few used and new F-150s after the wife decided she didn't like the new Colorados all that much after all and the Silverados we saw in our price range were all fairly stripped out, with the dealers locally not offering great deals.

All I have are pictures I took at the dealership, but since getting it home I have taken the stupid front plate and bracket off. I wish it didn't have chrome wheels, but so be it. The dealers have crazy incentives going on right now, and we got it for $9k under MSRP with all the cash back offers. 2015 F-150 XLT with the FX4 "off-road" package. It's the biggest vehicle I've ever owned, but I am surprised at how well it handles and how easy it is to back into parking spots in the parking garage at work. The 5.0 is also powerful enough to scoot this monster with surprising gusto.

Nice. I have a 2011 FX4 with the EcoBoost and still loving it. I was tempted with the new style and aluminum body to trade it in but don't like that they changed the FX4 to an add on package for just the skid plates etc. I got the FX4 edition because I didn't want all the chrome crap and for the capability to lock the rear dif in 4x4. I've since changed over to the Raptor 4x4 controller so I can lock the rear diff in 2wd. That is a ton of fun on dirt roads. As long as the eco stays strong I will keep it a few more years before I think about replacing it. I did almost 900 miles this last weekend going up into Colorado and got a combined 22.9 mpg while traveling 80-85 on the highways (slower once in the mountains). I wasn't towing (obviously) but with 3 adults, 1 child and the bed filled with camping stuff it was loaded down pretty well.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Imported to MN years ago.

Maybe I'll get to drive it this summer. I'm taking my sweet time with putting discs on the rear.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 6, 2015

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Tindjin posted:

Nice. I have a 2011 FX4 with the EcoBoost and still loving it. I was tempted with the new style and aluminum body to trade it in but don't like that they changed the FX4 to an add on package for just the skid plates etc. I got the FX4 edition because I didn't want all the chrome crap and for the capability to lock the rear dif in 4x4. I've since changed over to the Raptor 4x4 controller so I can lock the rear diff in 2wd. That is a ton of fun on dirt roads. As long as the eco stays strong I will keep it a few more years before I think about replacing it. I did almost 900 miles this last weekend going up into Colorado and got a combined 22.9 mpg while traveling 80-85 on the highways (slower once in the mountains). I wasn't towing (obviously) but with 3 adults, 1 child and the bed filled with camping stuff it was loaded down pretty well.

My FX4 came with the locking rear diff as well, but yeah it's basically an appearance package with a couple of functional goodies. Honestly, the Kevlar Goodyear Wranglers were a big consideration vs a normal STX or XLT's highway tread pattern. I will be plasti-dipping the wheels an anthracite gray whenever the spray cans arrive and I am on the hunt for a non-chrome (black preferably) grill that doesn't look all bro-truck. I believe the wife is getting 18ish mpg mixed driving with it so far, which is decent considering the power and size of the monster. I might take it to an out-of-state wedding next weekend and log the fuel economy on pure highway. We considered the Ecoboost but the 5.0 power bump for '15 and the incentives offered pushed us over on the V8 model. They had a super dark green model on the lot as well, but it was slightly more expensive and had the lovely road pattern tires, as well as a 36 gallon tank which I DID NOT want (I know, you can theoretically just fill up earlier but my wife would just let it get to E before telling me it needs fuel).

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 7, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Granted the E39 is basically a compact by today's standards, the size difference never ceases to amuse me.

Did you know a compact car is based on how much room is on the inside, not how big it is on the outside? A Bentley Continental is a compact car in the US.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drgitlin posted:

Did you know a compact car is based on how much room is on the inside, not how big it is on the outside? A Bentley Continental is a compact car in the US.

So why does the parking garage at the courthouse have smaller spaces that say "Compact Cars Only" on them?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

So why does the parking garage at the courthouse have smaller spaces that say "Compact Cars Only" on them?

Because idiots painting the lot assume that compact is referring to the exterior dimensions.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Cross-posting from the 4x4 thread

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

HotCanadianChick posted:

Because idiots painting the lot assume that compact is referring to the exterior dimensions.

Either that or building codes and federal motor vehicle standards are unrelated.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geology posted:

That is a drat nice looking FJ :)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Geology posted:

Oh man that rules. I really like those and glad to see you putting it to good use.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
I'm not conceited enough to post my poo poo into the awesome thread, but I wanted to share this, so uh, here.

4th of july at the Golden Super Cruise (the first saturday of every month, the city of Golden turns into a gigantic car show. it's really neat for the AI-minded).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think my favorite feature of military trucks is that not only is climbing on them not frowned upon... there is nonslip grit mixed into the factory paint on the tops of the fenders.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

I think my favorite feature of military trucks is that not only is climbing on them not frowned upon... there is nonslip grit mixed into the factory paint on the tops of the fenders.

Just don't forget your 3 points of contact :3:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
This is my most recent acquisition. I got it for about a grand.

Its a 2000 Expedition with 197980 miles on it. It has the Triton 5.4 and is a complete bitch to work on. It has new plugs, coils, air filter, and oil. I'll replace the fuel filter, top off the battery with distilled water since it is a little low, and do the coolant this weekend as it has Ford Gold in it which looks a little bit more like diabetic urine these days. This is the physically largest vehicle I've ever driven. The way the body lists when turning corners is half terrorizing, half humorous.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The 2014 crew cab raptor is listed at 6203lb, with the extended and single cabs being slightly less. The heaviest new F150 is the crew cab 4x4, at 4969lb. Extensive use of aluminum in the body plus an all-aluminum engine will do wonders for weight savings.

This is highly optimistic:

Car and Driver posted:

We’re always skeptical of manufacturer weight claims, though. When the latest Land Rover Range Rover adopted aluminum construction, its maker claimed a loss of more than 900 pounds. Our scales proved that the diet actually dropped fewer than 400 pounds model-to-model. So our first order of business with the 2015 F-150 was to steer away from the Ford-prescribed drive route and follow the big-rig breadcrumbs to the nearest certified truck scale in Comfort, Texas. Our test subject, a Ford F-150 Platinum crew cab equipped with four-wheel drive and the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, carried a price tag heavier than a truck made of lead: $61,465. Its actual weight, however, came in at 5580 pounds. Our comparative truck, a 2013 Ford F-150 Limited EcoBoost V-6 that we previously tested in Michigan, landed at 6029 pounds. The difference: 449 pounds.

Here's the review

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

They're good for staying out of the sun, too.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Tremek posted:

This is highly optimistic:

Here's the review

Yeah I had read that review a while ago and chalked some of the discrepancy up to trim and package differences. I also didn't really compare apples to apples, since I compared with a Raptor and not a regular crew cab. I will weigh my truck today at the dump out of curiosity.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Maybe the whole world doesn't operate on EPA size class?

The E39 is smaller on the outside than a dodge dart, a C-segment, or "compact" car

And the bentley continental is a subcompact, the phantom drophead coupe is a compact.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

The E39 is smaller on the outside than a dodge dart, a C-segment, or "compact" car

The old BMW is like 100mm longer than the Dart

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Maybe the whole world doesn't operate on EPA size class?

You're talking to someone with a maroon passport who used to drive (and still misses) a Ford Ka, so yes, I get that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

The old BMW is like 100mm longer than the Dart

It's also shorter and narrower.

Length x width x height, the E39 would fit in a smaller box than the dart, and occupy less of that box. It's incredibly obvious when you've got them side by side. Nobody who looked at both would suggest the E39 is bigger because of it's bumper overhangs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It's also shorter and narrower.

Length x width x height, the E39 would fit in a smaller box than the dart, and occupy less of that box. It's incredibly obvious when you've got them side by side. Nobody who looked at both would suggest the E39 is bigger because of it's bumper overhangs.

Length is the only dimension that matters to people buying M5s.

So they can tailgate, pervert.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Tinted the windows and blacked out the fugly chrome trim around the grill. The 1.0 Ecoboost is a gem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The fluid underneath the car is from my MB leaking fuel a while back, don't worry, it doesn't leak a drop from what I've seen.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ That's lovely. Details?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Length is the only dimension that matters to people buying M5s.

So they can tailgate, pervert.
M5 drivers don't spend enough time close behind you to qualify as tailgating - they run up your backside at a 40+km/h speed difference, flashing their highbeams like you're both on the autobahn. Then they dash around you in that 100m long gap between oncoming vehicles, middle finger jabbing awkwardly towards the passenger window.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
1987 535is/A, 143k miles, Conforti chip, lowered on blisteins and E39 wheels

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

CountOfNowhere posted:

Tinted the windows and blacked out the fugly chrome trim around the grill. The 1.0 Ecoboost is a gem.

How does it do climbing up hills and stuff with the 1.0?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Nohearum posted:

How does it do climbing up hills and stuff with the 1.0?

Effortlessly.

It's not fast, but the flat torque curve that starts at something obscene liek 1400

It even sounds cool. I think I saw something like 23psi of positive manifold pressure with Torque - you can hear boostu noises and blowoff kinda loud if it's at least somewhat quiet wherever you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aai4qtJ-C4U

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
from just before i lost my license