Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Accordion Man posted:

I found it pretty understandable that Yen was being bitchy to people like Ermion and doing questionable poo poo like necromancy because her adopted daughter is potentially dead or kidnapped by dimension-hopping elves out of a heavy metal album cover and she is rightly stressed out over it.

I never read the books but everyone you meet in the game make it clear that Yen is a total bitch and that she would be doing this kind of poo poo if it was her favourite pajamas that were lost instead of Ciri. Keira's quote to Geralt is especially hilarious with regards to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i feel like i must have missed all the good contract missions they were all piss easy at recommended level against unremarkable creatures. i had hopes for the skellege dragon one but lo and behold its not a dragon

can you guys post your favorite contracts or the contracts with the biggest baddest monsters so i can shake the feeling that contracts are a waste of time?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeC posted:

I never read the books but everyone you meet in the game make it clear that Yen is a total bitch and that she would be doing this kind of poo poo if it was her favourite pajamas that were lost instead of Ciri. Keira's quote to Geralt is especially hilarious with regards to this.

I mean good though gently caress a sacred grove anyway lady needs her lingerie back ya feel me :whatup:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

l33t b4c0n posted:

I fell squarely into the camp of liking Triss more, until earlier in this thread someone pointed out this exact plot point. EVERYTHING Triss does is actually super manipulative, but it's so subtle that it feels like genuine affection. It REALLY changed my perspective of Triss. Someone earlier pointed out that in The Witcher 2, the Rose of Remembrance is used by Philippa to control Saskia. Triss was given a rose by Geralt - what exactly did she plan to do with it?

Yeah, but at least it turns a character whose primary motivation is I LOVE GERALT SO MUCH into someone that feels way more human than the normal hot female love interest. And I'd say it's not subtle at all.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

Yeah, but at least it turns a character whose primary motivation is I LOVE GERALT SO MUCH into someone that feels way more human than the normal hot female love interest. And I'd say it's not subtle at all.

Yeah but Triss is kinda creepy knowing that.

What I'm saying is Zoltan should have been a romance option.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Geralt and Yen are a glorious trainwreck together. They have the kind of relationship you can't help but watch explode beautifully like Othello and Desdemona or Sam and Diane, except Geralt and Yen actually get a happy ending after going through decades of poo poo, instead of a flash in the pan followed by tragedy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hey speaking of keira and her quest does anything ever come of the pesta ?? was it responsible for the plague that keira ends up curing or something. i didn't really pay attention to that subplot

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

420 Gank Mid posted:

Geralt and Yen are a glorious trainwreck together. They have the kind of relationship you can't help but watch explode beautifully like Othello and Desdemona or Sam and Diane, except Geralt and Yen actually get a happy ending after going through decades of poo poo, instead of a flash in the pan followed by tragedy.

So uh, where is Yen post-game?

I just finished the game after 170 hours, got the happy Yen ending with Ciri taking the throne. With the whole "lets live in a hut somewhere" thing I was surprised to respawn in the empty Kaer Morhen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

oddium posted:

hey speaking of keira and her quest does anything ever come of the pesta ?? was it responsible for the plague that keira ends up curing or something. i didn't really pay attention to that subplot
Keira needed to get rid of the pesta in order to get the cure that the alchemist created in the tower lab.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Moridin920 posted:

If you got portal dumped into a lake you were being a goon who just wouldn't let some poo poo go because 'I'm right goddamnit you will feel like I tell you to feel!'

I shouldn't have expected a woman who allegedly loves me very much to subject me to one of the few things I hate, and in reality probably fear, because I wouldn't let her have her way and win an argument just because.

"Just agree with me that I'm right and you're wrong!" Getting involved with magic users is bad dumb and dangerous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

pik_d posted:

I just finished the game after 170 hours, got the happy Yen ending with Ciri taking the throne. With the whole "lets live in a hut somewhere" thing I was surprised to respawn in the empty Kaer Morhen.

After the credits, you're kind of plopped down into a pre-end cutscene world. Cause all the endings have pretty definite ends, with "and this is what happens to Geralt, the end. So it wouldn't really make sense for you to continue your journey after. There's even something that pops up if I remember right that says as much. So that way you can go back and do sidequests, but it won't interfere with whatever ending you got.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Getting involved with magic users is bad dumb and dangerous.

Well, Geralt is a glutton for punishment.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

You can either kill her, or let her live and send her to Kaer Morhen. She only wants to cure the plague to get back on Radovid's good side, but Geralt convinces her it wont work cause he hates all magic users, so she doesn't even bother.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I shouldn't have expected a woman who allegedly loves me very much to subject me to one of the few things I hate, and in reality probably fear, because I wouldn't let her have her way and win an argument just because.

Please, Geralt willingly goes through portals for much worse reasons.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

oddium posted:

Not as far as I know. I was duped and let the Pesta kill the dude, never got a follow up to it like a Witcher contract for a rouge Pesta or anything like that. I suspect you can actually kill her in the tower so they didn't bother putting in a follow up mission when you can kill her already. I didn't bother though cause my last manual save was hours before and didn't want to replay poo poo that far back.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

pik_d posted:

After the end custscene the story ends. The cutscene/storyboard is the epilogue to the novel/biography/heroic epic Dandellion writes about Geralt

Going back into the game is just a kind of sandbox-y afterthought.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Did Lambert's quest, found him in the Nowhere Inn. Internet says he's supposed to give me a unique card, but he won't play me. Anyone know what's up? I don't care about anything in the world as much as I care about Gwent.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Macaluso posted:

After the credits, you're kind of plopped down into a pre-end cutscene world. Cause all the endings have pretty definite ends, with "and this is what happens to Geralt, the end. So it wouldn't really make sense for you to continue your journey after. There's even something that pops up if I remember right that says as much. So that way you can go back and do sidequests, but it won't interfere with whatever ending you got.

Well, Geralt is a glutton for punishment.

420 Gank Mid posted:

After the end custscene the story ends. The cutscene/storyboard is the epilogue to the novel/biography/heroic epic Dandellion writes about Geralt

Going back into the game is just a kind of sandbox-y afterthought.

Aww, are all my friends gone? Is Ciri in the palace at least?

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

pik_d posted:

Aww, are all my friends gone? Is Ciri in the palace at least?
Nope, only Dudu at Dandelion's tavern (AFAIK) still exist in the game world. All other main characters vanish.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

cams posted:

Did Lambert's quest, found him in the Nowhere Inn. Internet says he's supposed to give me a unique card, but he won't play me. Anyone know what's up? I don't care about anything in the world as much as I care about Gwent.

You can play him later. But I was able to play him right after he gave me the quest that makes you go to Skellige.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Not as far as I know. I was duped and let the Pesta kill the dude, never got a follow up to it like a Witcher contract for a rouge Pesta or anything like that. I suspect you can actually kill her in the tower so they didn't bother putting in a follow up mission when you can kill her already. I didn't bother though cause my last manual save was hours before and didn't want to replay poo poo that far back.

You get a resolution to the question in your log. The pesta wanders off and starts a plague, wiping out an entire town. I found that lame. Did the game even tell you what the hell a pesta is before she escapes? And why did the plague wipe out a town while Geralt had the notes for a cure, which it doesn't seem like you can actually do anything with?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Neat little thing I discovered while doing the Wolf School treasure hunts: Keira is still in Kaer Morhen, in an unreachable area by the castle, you can see her on the map listed as a herbalist and if you can hop on the right walls to reach her, you can talk to her and buy stuff from her, but that will leave you trapped as the spot she's in is surrounded by cliffs. Her conversation options are exactly the same as when she was in the hut you first find her in... excepting the final option where you can ask why she and Lambert hooked up. Seems like a glitch of some kind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is the Wyvern in Velen not supposed to drop any loot if I shoot him out of the air? I felt pretty awesome while doing it, at least.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

The looks Vernon Roche shoots you while Radovid does his creepy chess monologue are solid gold

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I actually ended up getting rid of the pesta. I just tried leaving the tower without agreeing to her plan and she attacked me and Geralt realized what she was. From that point you still need to get her lover's help and he did succeed in breaking the spell by kissing her but he died in the process.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

mulodyne posted:

The looks Vernon Roche shoots you while Radovid does his creepy chess monologue are solid gold

The look on Radovid's face when (Reason of State spoiler) Phillipa opens the door he's banging on is better.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
In hindsight of my first run, the pesta was obvious when she slipped up "watching at the town from shore" after claiming her spirit was imprisoned in the tower. Better to have Romeo die for his Juliet than Juliet kill Romeo and his neighbours. At least Annabelle takes apperance of Annabelle to make it easier on the poor guy.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks to people giving tips on solving Hard Times. Meditating for an hour allowed me to talk to the blacksmith.

The Main Quest in Skellige was really short. You get caught up in all sorts of side quest, of course, but still. I like how all three Main Quests (in Act 1 I guess?) can be done in any order, and tie into one another, yet you can't get the whole picture without doing all of them.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That may be true but the game certainly doesn't tell you that and heavily implies you should go Velen-Novigrad-Skellige.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JoshTheStampede posted:

That may be true but the game certainly doesn't tell you that and heavily implies you should go Velen-Novigrad-Skellige.

yeah the level recs for the missions go in that order and yen i think tells you to start in velen and join her later on the islands

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

Yes, I am and always have been aware that we are arguing about dialogue options in a video game. If you read the thread you'll see several posters saying that anyone who doesn't like Yen in the game must have some kind of "complex" or "hangups" in real life, that is what I was responding to. In other words, they started it.

For what it's worth I was mostly referring to people way earlier in the thread who were reading way too much into people who picked Yen and seriously projecting. Then the next couple of pages happened and those were pretty great and hilarious.

And I gave a pretty good reason for picking Yen that had nothing to do with my own personal tastes or living vicariously through Geralt. (I've got a thing for redheads irl)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean part of the reason why Yen and Geralt are the more entertaining couple is because there's seriously not enough Triss content in comparison so the deck was stacked against her but that's out of our hands.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Please, Geralt willingly goes through portals for much worse reasons.

But he hates it and does it because he has to. You guys even make him cover his face with his hands during some cut scenes :mad:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Quick witcher universe lore question.

Are Succubus inherently evil in any way? I don't remember if we ran into one in W1 but the ones in Kings and Wild Hunt seem to be like benign for the most part. They just seem to lure men, seduce them, and basically trade "energy" for mind blowing sex. It also appears they don't kill unless they have to as they like to build a stable client base.

Is there anything in the books to suggest that Geralt should actually just kill all succubus he meets or is the letting them go options that are presented in the game the non dick choice for Geralt?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

MikeC posted:

Quick witcher universe lore question.

Are Succubus inherently evil in any way? I don't remember if we ran into one in W1 but the ones in Kings and Wild Hunt seem to be like benign for the most part. They just seem to lure men, seduce them, and basically trade "energy" for mind blowing sex. It also appears they don't kill unless they have to as they like to build a stable client base.

Is there anything in the books to suggest that Geralt should actually just kill all succubus he meets or is the letting them go options that are presented in the game the non dick choice for Geralt?

You encounter one in a quest. She's very civilized and polite and I didn't kill her :colbert:

Though I did see her same character model at the feet of Imlerith later on in the game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

But he hates it and does it because he has to. You guys even make him cover his face with his hands during some cut scenes :mad:

He also hates doublets, but Yen is very appreciative if he wears one for her!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Diving through the fires of hell for his dysfunctional-relationship waifu.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Codependent Poster posted:

He also hates doublets, but Yen is very appreciative if he wears one for her!

At least when he wears a scratchy doublet he's not risking having his molecules teleported into a wall. He hates it for a real reason rather than just being out of his element.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

eXXon posted:

You get a resolution to the question in your log. The pesta wanders off and starts a plague, wiping out an entire town. I found that lame. Did the game even tell you what the hell a pesta is before she escapes? And why did the plague wipe out a town while Geralt had the notes for a cure, which it doesn't seem like you can actually do anything with?

The plague that the mage who owned that tower was working on had nothing to do with the one the pesta conjures up. There's no reason to think his notes on curing an actual real illness would be in any way helpful in dealing with a magical illness conjured up by an evil ghost

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

MikeC posted:

Even Cerys called Geralt out on that poo poo. Geralt can't even protest breaking into his old druid buddy's laboratory without Yen telling him to sack up.

Crigit posted:

The plague that the mage who owned that tower was working on had nothing to do with the one the pesta conjures up. There's no reason to think his notes on curing an actual real illness would be in any way helpful in dealing with a magical illness conjured up by an evil ghost
It doesn't matter if they're not related; you shouldn't trust a ghost that lies to you.

Ash1138 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I thought Yennifer only teleports you if you dump her and are banging Triss. Which is perfectly in character for her because she doesn't react well in the books when she doesn't get her way.