Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kumbamontu posted:

i think that voting for two veteran players with post counts below the moderator is a silly thing to do, yeah. if either of them were scum they'd be trying harder

citation needed.

i've been scumbuddies with hal and he does jack poo poo. i've never seen opop try very hard as either alignment.

pig is the only lurker here who actually plays his balls off as scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
it's claim time anyway since it's likely MYLO and I'm not relying on a may or may not exist doc: im a helpful cop who gets to investigate people and send the results to someone else, hence you having received my message n1

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kumbamontu posted:

okay good just making sure

who did you investigate last night slash who did you send the result to? I would have thought they'd have spoken up by now.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
unfortunately the person i sent the result to was the person we confirmed as town, MMM, which is why they never spoke up

I figured that was the logical target since if anything I thought the scum would think Ecco was the cop for revealing that openly

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

unfortunately the person i sent the result to was the person we confirmed as town, MMM, which is why they never spoke up

I figured that was the logical target since if anything I thought the scum would think Ecco was the cop for revealing that openly

mafia edit: sent the result to N2, for clarity, if that was needed

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kumbamontu posted:

womp womp.

who did you investigate? I will give them a Closer Reading in honor of MMM's failure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

i don't think Hal is scum. If he were I think he'd be hypocritically riding me

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't spoken up about what the result was because i was trying to get as much information as possible and I think I about got it

preview edit: I'm so glad you asked

EccoRaven posted:

womp womp.

who did you investigate? I will give them a Closer Reading in honor of MMM's failure.

N1 I sent the target to Ecco because they were a vocal person in thread and I honestly thought they were town. As D2 progressed though, I couldn't help but feel I was getting drawn into someone Ecco's narrative despite actually agreeing with their points. I figured, after confirming MMM as town (discounting Godfather existing but whatever), my best shot was to investigate Ecco and send the results to MMM. That way, if both of them were town and lived through the night, they'd be confirmed (more or less) to each other and we'd be in good shape.

So I gambled and investigated Ecco and sent the results to MMM. Unfortunately MMM died, but luckily for us I got a not town result and I've been stringing Ecco along trying to figure out who their scumbuddies are. At this point I think it's Asiina and Somber.

Engarde. ##vote Ecco

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kumbamontu posted:

I haven't spoken up about what the result was because i was trying to get as much information as possible and I think I about got it

preview edit: I'm so glad you asked

N1 I sent the target to Ecco because they were a vocal person in thread and I honestly thought they were town. As D2 progressed though, I couldn't help but feel I was getting drawn into someone Ecco's narrative despite actually agreeing with their points. I figured, after confirming MMM as town (discounting Godfather existing but whatever), my best shot was to investigate Ecco and send the results to MMM. That way, if both of them were town and lived through the night, they'd be confirmed (more or less) to each other and we'd be in good shape.

So I gambled and investigated Ecco and sent the results to MMM. Unfortunately MMM died, but luckily for us I got a not town result and I've been stringing Ecco along trying to figure out who their scumbuddies are. At this point I think it's Asiina and Somber.

Engarde. ##vote Ecco
Oh good the game finally begins.

I'm actually town so?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Kumba I really think you're town but if you actually did get a scum result against me then that's really disappointing.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

Kumba I really think you're town but if you actually did get a scum result against me then that's really disappointing.

I know, I think the cop role is unfair, but them's the ropes.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kumbamontu posted:

I know, I think the cop role is unfair, but them's the ropes.
it seems definitely like a more powerful variation on the role if you also get the results but I'm actually town, so it makes sense the mafia would have some kind of role that would disrupt it, like a busdriver or framer or something.

I know you said you investigated me because of niggly feelings but people often get those feelings, the way I post just induces them. It makes sense a mafia framer would target me.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I still really think an Opop/Hal/Pig scumteam actually makes sense. This game feels very similar to games that are secretly scumless - a lot of flailing against active posters that amounts to nothing. The best equivalent would be where the scum are lurking to a victory.

Kumba if this is MYLO you're gonna lose the game and I want you to please consider my behavior, not just your result.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It's possible but I don't think it's likely. If I were a framer I'd have probably targeted one of the lurkers or, assuming he's not scum cause I don't think he is, CPig. I don't think they'd target you.

I don't think busdriver is a possibility as I specifically received your name and an alignment, not just "your target" or whatever.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kumbamontu posted:

It's possible but I don't think it's likely. If I were a framer I'd have probably targeted one of the lurkers or, assuming he's not scum cause I don't think he is, CPig. I don't think they'd target you.

Why a lurker? I've been wrong all game, it makes a lot of sense a framer would target me instead of a lurker. There's a ton of lurkers, choosing one would be a shot in the dark. But everyone has an opinion on me this game.

Kumbamontu posted:

I don't think busdriver is a possibility as I specifically received your name and an alignment, not just "your target" or whatever.
That's reasonable but obviously I'm inclined to think that's not necessarily dispositive.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Yeah Kumba, I really think, from a setup perspective, it doesn't make sense to give the mafia no ability to "counter" your role. A framer is a very sensible solution, since it's not 100% likely to mess with your results (they have to choose wisely), but on the off-chance it does it throws a big big wrench into the town's plans.

Assuming you're not just gambitting I really think that's the case, Kumba.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

EccoRaven posted:

I still really think an Opop/Hal/Pig scumteam actually makes sense. This game feels very similar to games that are secretly scumless - a lot of flailing against active posters that amounts to nothing. The best equivalent would be where the scum are lurking to a victory.

Kumba if this is MYLO you're gonna lose the game and I want you to please consider my behavior, not just your result.

If you think it's MYLO then maybe you should unvote until we all talk?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Opopanax posted:

i don't think Hal is scum. If he were I think he'd be hypocritically riding me

Glad to see you're giving it your all here.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Isn't a godfather the counter to a cop role? I don't see why there has to be a framer.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

fiery_valkyrie posted:

If you think it's MYLO then maybe you should unvote until we all talk?

my vote doesn't matter if it's MYLO, it's the second vote + the night actions. as long as nobody else votes Hal it's not a problem.

I'm also skeptical that it's mylo; 12 players is the cutoff between 2 and 3 mafia, and Kumba's role makes things more complicated.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Isn't a godfather the counter to a cop role? I don't see why there has to be a framer.

well I know there has to be something because I'm town, but a godfather isn't really an effective or active counter to a pumped-up cop.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

Yeah Kumba, I really think, from a setup perspective, it doesn't make sense to give the mafia no ability to "counter" your role. A framer is a very sensible solution, since it's not 100% likely to mess with your results (they have to choose wisely), but on the off-chance it does it throws a big big wrench into the town's plans.

Assuming you're not just gambitting I really think that's the case, Kumba.

EccoRaven posted:

well I know there has to be something because I'm town, but a godfather isn't really an effective or active counter to a pumped-up cop.

Ecco, both these posts are just setup spec, and I understand that you are trying to make sense of the game from your perspective, but from the perspective of someone else, like myself, can you elaborate how your posts have been townie without resorting to the setup spec?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ecco, both these posts are just setup spec, and I understand that you are trying to make sense of the game from your perspective, but from the perspective of someone else, like myself, can you elaborate how your posts have been townie without resorting to the setup spec?

Sure:

- I've been making cases and responding to other's cases all game
- I've been prodding others to post and trying to get them to express their thoughts
- I without hesitation posted Kumba's MMM result, because it was information beneficial for the town to know (I as scum would have kept that secret and feigned ignorance/whatever if the provider ever asked).
- I didn't reverse my feelings on Kumba just because he claimed a scum result against me (even if convincing the town he's lying would have been the more optimal method for my survival)

The only reason Kumba says he investigated me is because he had a niggling feeling in the back of his head, which happens with my posts regardless of alignment. It's just unfortunate his result is wrong and it might cost the game, and I really would prefer the town pull this one out of the fire, especially if the scum have been lurking to victory.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
too drunk, will figure this out tomorrow.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
sorry for my lurkiness in this game I probably shouldn't have signed up for because time concerns :/

In the interest of things happening.
I'm the doctor.

N1 I visited somber
N2 I visited MMM

I was blocked on both nights.

I am highly suspicious of Ecco

##vote ecco

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
pig if it's mylo, with the deadline still a day away you should unvote me.

Do you have any reason for thinking I'm scum other than Kumba + me calling you scum?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CapitalistPig posted:

sorry for my lurkiness in this game I probably shouldn't have signed up for because time concerns :/

In the interest of things happening.
I'm the doctor.

N1 I visited somber
N2 I visited MMM

I was blocked on both nights.

I am highly suspicious of Ecco

##vote ecco

Was the truffle flavor just a lie or how does that fit into a doctor in pageant?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hal if you're town tell me who you think is scum and please don't say me.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hal you haven't voted all game. You haven't expressed a single substantive suspicion on another player. When I asked you for one you balked.

You had weird posting on Day 1, attacking fiery for calling out your dumb off-the-cuff post even though you admitted your post was non-substantive and worthless. (That you made a worthless post in the first place is bad too.)

You rolefished Pig when he claimed to have been roleblocked.

I think "Hal is/is scum with a roleblocker and wants to know if the team should keep roleblocking pig" is a really plausible turn of events. I really think Hal is scum, guys.

Reasons why I'm town:
- I've been making cases and trying to get people to participate in the thread (zzyzx day 1, Hal day 2)
- I've been commenting on other's cases and prodding people for more content (all game)
- I have been sincere in my opinions and haven't changed them when it might have been personally convenient

My case on zzyzx and my votes on derp and Anon were wrong, which is why I'm not pretending I'm the Townies Town to Ever Town a Town (though in my defense I think the cases were objectively okay), but it's also why a scum framer/busdriver/whatever targeting me makes a lot of sense (and makes sense in the context of a game with a pumped-up cop).

When there's role stuff floating about the right answer is to always just consider it as one bit of information floating among the whole. My posting and my play doesn't read like scum (and believe me I'm always aware of how I'm posting). It reads like (frustrated) town.

I think Hal is scum. I think the evidence is there for him being scum. I think we as a town risk throwing the game away voting for me, and I really, really don't want scum to win this through apathy.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

drat Ecco those are good points. How have I not voted all game?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

EccoRaven posted:

Hal if you're town tell me who you think is scum and please don't say me.

But Ecco, what if I do think it is you? You've posted a fair amount but you've never been super invested in any case and have skipped around as needed.

I also don't like your response to kumba's result and overselling the likelihood of a framer. I'm not voting you yet since you already have 2 votes and I admittedly need to look harder at more people this close to the end but I have my eye on you.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

But Ecco, what if I do think it is you? You've posted a fair amount but you've never been super invested in any case and have skipped around as needed.

I also don't like your response to kumba's result and overselling the likelihood of a framer. I'm not voting you yet since you already have 2 votes and I admittedly need to look harder at more people this close to the end but I have my eye on you.

Who else do you think is scum?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Who else do you think is scum?

I'm still working on that, but it is late and I only just got home so I am a bit preoccupied.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'm still working on that, but it is late and I only just got home so I am a bit preoccupied.

The game started 12 days ago. It's really scummy that you dont have a single opinion on a player that you can just answer this question straight away.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Ok Ecco has convinced me and exhibited towniness.

I will vote hal

##unvote

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I do not think that both of the players, at the bottom of the post count, neither of which have voted a single player all game, are scum. That seems so unbelievably stupid an idea as to be outside of the realm of possibility.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
mafia edit: for clarity, the 'stupid idea' is them deciding not to vote anyone assuming they are scum. I'm not trying to call anyone stupid for thinking Hal and/or Opop are scum, I think my post was worded poorly

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The game started 12 days ago. It's really scummy that you dont have a single opinion on a player that you can just answer this question straight away.

ORRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr it was a four-day weekend for me and I spent it celebrating the birth of my nation and not in the least thinking about any of the 2-3 mafia games that I am in so I don't have an answer off the top of my head because I don't remember poo poo about this game except Pig keeps babbling about truffles and that somehow people think I am a bad guy questioning him about his repeated allusions to his role that sound like bullshit.

But no, you are probably right, I am terrible scum who would rather just be blatantly scummy instead of taking five minutes to make some fake reads to get you off my back. YOU GOT ME. Also I haven't bothered to vote or try to have any influence at all over the game instead hoping town just self destructs so I can enjoy a completely unearned scum victory because that is totally my MO.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CapitalistPig posted:

Ok Ecco has convinced me and exhibited towniness.

I will vote hal

##unvote

Bad move pig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not going to be terribly upset if I lose because scum are lurking. Whatever, moral victory for the town at least.

I am going to be upset if I have a legit guilty verdict on someone and we don't act on it due to nebulous setup speculation driven by the person who the guilty result is on. Before you say 'But my case on Hal!!!' your case on Hal isn't a case that he's scum, it's a case that he's disengaged and not paying attention. Town do stupid things all the time, including jumping into a thread they haven't read and posting throwaway comments. This is not totally out of the ordinary for Hal and I find it strange you're so attached to Hal being scum, because I just don't see it. I think you made up your mind about his alignment a long time ago.

• Locked thread