Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I feel like I won't remember any of what I just saw by tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I feel like I won't remember any of what I just saw by tomorrow.

Never forget Stan.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Same. People talk about how season 1 had a similar slow pace for the first few episodes, but 1) at least not every character was complete poo poo I didn't feel either bored or unsupportive towards, and 2) at least I comprehended what the gently caress was basically going on by this point in the season.

Ray Velcoro was the only character I was liking but that dream sequence in the beginning left me in a pile of what. And everythings jumping around with the investigations and its losing me a bit.

AND WHO THE gently caress IS STAN

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
In his defense, starting a family right after you find out you lost your life's work is drat irresponsible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Codependent Poster posted:

Never forget Stan.
Oh right, Stan! The strongest character of this season so far.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
The car that blew up was the car they were asking the kid about at the very moment it blew up. (The kid stole it.)

How in the gently caress could you possibly miss that? "I don't know what's going on" must mean "I have it on in the background with the sound off."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone else remember when The True Detectives was a good show? RIP

PS: who the gently caress is Stan???

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

withak posted:

PS: who the gently caress is Stan???

Stan was a good man! He didn't deserve this!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone please post a picture of Stan from before he got dumped in the oil sump. This is important.

At first I thought he was the guy with the gold grill (based on the Previously On), but it turns out that he wasn't.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

withak posted:

Anyone else remember when The True Detectives was a good show? RIP

On the bright side that was just the first season, so if season 3 sucks too we'll safely be able to say this ever being great was just a fluke

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris James 2 posted:

On the bright side that was just the first season, so if season 3 sucks too we'll safely be able to say this ever being great was just a fluke
Without Cary Fukunaga, the show's really suffering.

Well also probably because Nic Pizzolatto's writing has taken a nosedive.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

If the bad guy knew the car was there why didn't he set it on fire before the cops got there?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's amazing how far a show can drop in one season, holy poo poo

Phizzle
Aug 12, 2004
heh heh BONERS
gently caress this show stan was the only character i liked.

now i have no reason to watch

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I took it to mean they were setting the kid up and it was just a coincidence the good guys happened to be there.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Was Stan the guy who said the half-anaconda, half-shark line?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Without Cary Fukunaga, the show's really suffering.

He's apparently impossible to work with.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'll tell you about Stan, STAN'S DEAD

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FizFashizzle posted:

He's apparently impossible to work with.
They should've sucked it the gently caress up and worked with him again because this season isn't anywhere near as good without him.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i like this season more than season 1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
shows good just dont take it so seriously yall, its a mixture of lynch, noir and pop tv and its fuckin great

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

also fukunaga would have been impossible because getting one guy to direct every episode is insanely time consuming and HBO wanted season 2 in 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

quote:

On Sunday night's episode of True Detective, Ray Velcoro (Colin Farrell) and Ani Bezzerides (Rachel McAdams) visit a film set presided over by the worst person on in the world: In a few scant minutes of screen time, we learned that the film's director is an alcoholic prima donna who alienated his crew and got mixed up in sex-party shenanigans that led to the death of a local politician. Oh yeah, and this horrible man just so happens to bear a clear resemblance to former True Detective director Cary Fukunaga, all the way down to his distinctive hairstyle

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/nic-pizzolatto-cary-fukunaga-true-detective-feud.html

Edit: My guess is that Fukunaga was responsible for the best aspects of season one and Pizzolatto resented him "taking over" his show so he made sure not to let him or any single director do that again. Cue lovely season.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 6, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Who gives a gently caress who Stan is? The point is to illustrate that Frank is right to be paranoid.

EDIT: VVV I think the new opening may legit be the worst part of the show

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 6, 2015

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I thought the theme song would grow on me but it loving sucks.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't remember who Stan is.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

next episode is stan's awkward stupid dream sequence starring Roy Orbison; the man's not down yet

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

I'm still into it. Taylor Kitsch is definitely starting to get old, but I'm down with Vince Vaughn getting pissed off. I think I liked drunk Ray more though.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I don't think it's a dumpster fire - the noir/Lynch thing is working out fine for me. It's just that the first season was _insanely_ good.

Two things that contributed to the first season being such a powerhouse were a) the converging past/present storylines and b) that so much of the characters' motivations and backstories were done with negative space. Who gives a flying gently caress that Riggins banged some dude in the warzone? That whole story could have come out in a long car ride with Sad Mustache and it would have been compelling and interesting, we don't need to see some quasi-altercation in Oxnard to drive that poo poo home.

Tide posted:

Yeah, the visuals own but that song is balls.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tide posted:

He's Stan.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

pugnax posted:

some quasi-altercation in Oxnard

That fragment works as a summary for this whole episode.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the plus side we are approaching 99% certainty that the motorcycle cop is gay.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

straight up brolic posted:

i like this season more than season 1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like this season almost as much as the first season. I didn't like this episode, though. It felt really disconnected, like there was supposed to be another episode between this and last week's. I dunno.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Serious question: How long will Serious TV Bloggers continue to write the show up as if it were good?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

withak posted:

On the plus side we are approaching 99% certainty that the motorcycle cop is gay.

He for sure had a homosexual encounter with his army bro about which he is ashamed/uncomfortable, which goes a long way towards explaining his comically exaggerated homophobia.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

They need to move forward with the Bike Cop's closet homosexuality. I don't know how much more obvious they can get without him stating it outright. For me, it was self-evident after his self-conscious joke about someone hitting on him.

I'm enjoying the show, but Vince Vaughn is not doing anything for me.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 6, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of think the pace is suffering (i.e. Paul's being "yeah yeah he's a closet case move on") simply because they decided to have four protagonists. I'm really curious what, if any, the payoff will be.

Like Game of Thrones has pacing problems in part because it has too many characters we're supposed to care about, but it's also a SEVEN SEASON SHOW whereas we're presumably never gonna see these characters again in 5 more hours of television.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Next episode should just be an uncut 50 minute tracking shot of Taylor Kitsch sucking so many dicks

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I'm laughing at the goon that got chastised for questioning the character's sexuality, I spotted that first episode. And the mayor is in the poo poo deep. There isn't the urgency of season 1 nor the tension but the surrealism is spot on. Like twin peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

withak posted:

Serious question: How long will Serious TV Bloggers continue to write the show up as if it were good?

This total neanderthal I read occasionally hated season 1 and thought season 2 was much improved.

• Locked thread