Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Maddot_66 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for the best way to get the stink out of equipment? I've been airing out my stuff after each use and lysoling it to keep the smell at bay, but I feel like there's something more I can do.

Be less stinky than the goalie. It seems like none of those fuckers take their gear out of the bag ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Maddot_66 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for the best way to get the stink out of equipment? I've been airing out my stuff after each use and lysoling it to keep the smell at bay, but I feel like there's something more I can do.

Throw your pads in the washer - don't dry it; hang it up - laugh that it'll start to stink again anyway the next time you use it - play sadtrombone.wav

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Take your poo poo out of the bag and hang dry it ASAP. Don't leave poo poo in your bag. Wear base layers to soak up most of the sweat. Wash socks/base layers after playing in gentle cycle, cold, and absolutely no fabric softener. Hang dry, but if you're in a rush tumble dry low.

Don't Lysol. Just wash your poo poo once a year if necessary and that poo poo needs to air dry- but again if you're in a rush- tumble dry low and put stuff that's hard in a pillow case or something. Don't let it dry out completely in the dryer though- it will still need time to air dry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I toss everything in the wash with a little detergent every few months. It works pretty good. My wife even comments on it, she thought hockey gear was always super smelly and was surprised when mine doesn't chase us out of the apartment.

Soaking it a bathtub reportedly works well too but I've never done it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Doctor Butts posted:

Wear base layers to soak up most of the sweat.

This has been the biggest thing for me, to the point where I hate wearing my pads without a UA or whatever shirt underneath. My elbow pads in particular get loving gross if I'm not wearing sleeves underneath. Plus I just wrap the excess sleeve fabric that's lower than the slash guard on the elbow pad back up over the pad - locks these cheapo pads in place and they never slide down on me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don't wash poo poo, be that guy, keep gear for a decade plus

Or just get it ozoned at your local pro shop for like 10bux

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Duke Chin posted:

Throw your pads in the washer - don't dry it; hang it up - laugh that it'll start to stink again anyway the next time you use it - play sadtrombone.wav

I didn't think that pads were machine washable, is that something I should be doing every now and then?

I don't think I could survive with layers underneath, I am overheating constantly as is.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

As for durability, gloves seem to universally be crap. Everyone bitches about palms wearing out so just get used to it.

I've had really really good luck with the top end Reebok gloves. Super comfortable, lots of protection, they even have special palms that resist stank that surprisingly works better then I would have expected, and they hold up really well. They have the articulated wrist pad which I really like as well, doesnt expose your wrists when you flex them .

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah just throw them in with cold water and some non-beach detergent and it should be fine.

Although really the only thing of mine that genuinely stinks is my gloves. I wear long UA pants and shirt. Seems to take a lot of the stink out. Additionally I take poo poo out immediately so I can dry out and none of my gear really stinks that bad.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Maddot_66 posted:

I didn't think that pads were machine washable, is that something I should be doing every now and then?

I don't think I could survive with layers underneath, I am overheating constantly as is.

Totally cool just don't throw your helmet or skates in there obviously, everything else is hunky dory just strap up your Velcro parts otherwise it'll be a poo poo show.

sellouts posted:

Don't wash poo poo, be that guy, keep gear for a decade plus

Was reading this real quick on the phone and thought it said "keep the fear a decade plus" and, considering some of the dudes I've smelled post stick n puck, that seems about accurate gaaaaaawdaaaaamn

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I get really hot and I sweat a ton. Moisture wicking base layers help a lot. If you're still uncomfortable about it, get loose fitting base layers.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
yeah F compression - fitted all the way

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Thanks for reminding me I need to wash my poo poo....don't think any of it has seen a washer in at least 6 months. Still better than our goalie though.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Duke Chin posted:

yeah F compression - fitted all the way

Compression gear is fun and cool and makes me 18.7% better at hockey. By squeezing my huge "muscles" into smaller muscles, they can do more muscle-work. :science:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have to roll on my compression socks much like a condom because they are so tight. However, they give me wheels so it succeeds in the cost/benefits analysis.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My Bauer backpack bag has nice big vents on it, so all my equipment dries inside. Really does wonders compared to previously when I would take out each piece of equipment and hang it up. I just spray it down with febreeze while I put it in the bag, then leave the bag overnight in my room near the window.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Air your stuff out immediately after every skate. Don't just open your bag. Pull everything out and lay it out to dry. Don't spray it with anything, that just changes the scent do a disgusting sweet unnatural odor.

Wash the soft stuff (jocks, skate insoles, socks, socks, jerseys, shirts etc) in the washing machine every week or so if playing regularly. Consider washing twice if its really nasty. You can tumble dry most stuff on the low setting (just remove your insoles and anything screen printed first)

Once every couple of months, wash your hard pads (shoulders, elbows, shins, helmet). Some people soak their gear in a bath tub but you essentially end up just soaking your gear in black poo poo water. I prefer to scrub my gear with dish soap/laundry detergent and rinse it off with a hose, let it dry in the sun. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to wash and rinse. The water will rinse black, then brown, then a slight tea color before rinsing fairly clear.

If you have especially raunchy gear, I've heard that a vinegar bath does a great job of killing bacteria and doesn't really stink like you imagine it would. Wash with regular detergent after and the vinegar smell should be gone.

My hockey gear smells like fresh laundry most times. Skates and gloves always stink but as long as they are allowed to dry immediately they stay fairly minimal.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 6, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bgreman posted:

Compression gear is fun and cool and makes me 18.7% better at hockey. By squeezing my huge "muscles" into smaller muscles, they can do more muscle-work. :science:

It's really more about reducing lactic acid buildup and aiding recovery. Whether what I'm feeling is real or purely placebo, I also just find compression layers comfy.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Habibi posted:

It's really more about reducing lactic acid buildup and aiding recovery. Whether what I'm feeling is real or purely placebo, I also just find compression layers comfy.

I get weird bruises from my gear straps and things if I don't get a layer on between me and the gear. They're these thin line bruises that don't hurt but show up.

Plus I found pads right on my skin to just be uncomfortable.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Re: gloves getting holes

Try Tackimac grips, they're good and they'll help preserve your gloves longer

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
In the summer I often skate shirtless because the rink gets humid and muggy and I feel like I may die with another layer on

On the ice I'm fine but then I get to the bench and sit down and then start saying hail marys and praying to Jesus

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I bought a couple of these to use as undershirts: https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-tech-sleeve/pid1253535

I love them. They're very light and dry quickly. Insanely comfortable

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah even in the winter I get too warm with a technical tee shirt below my shoulder pads.

I know some people who wear full length tech tops and bottoms beneath their gear. Pretty sure I would pass out. Add in the warm summer temps in the rinks and I would certainly die.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I had been wearing a compresson mock neck shirt and a Bauer fishbowl mask before I switched shirts and got a cage (one that I actually like, loving finally), and it's made a world's difference.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I bought this guy, it's good for drying out your rack and scaring the poo poo out of your unsuspecting roommate/fiance/girlfriend/boyfriend

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too much work to hang everything that nicely. When I get home I just want to dump the bag out because I'm probably tired and want whatever takes the least amount of effort.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Summer roller hockey I wear a looser fit UA tank.

Ice hockey I usually wear a long sleeve UA compression shirt with some grippy rubbery bits on the elbows and chest.

Long sleeve because the refs here sometimes hold up the 'no exposed skin' rule for wrists. I cant stand having my jersey cuffs in my gloves and keep them pulled up to the bottom of my elbow pads.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ so do you guys all have to wear neck guards as well? I'm pretty sure I would melt under those rules

doctor 7 posted:

I get weird bruises from my gear straps and things if I don't get a layer on between me and the gear. They're these thin line bruises that don't hurt but show up.

Plus I found pads right on my skin to just be uncomfortable.

Yeah the adjustment buckles for the bicep guards on my shoulder pads are RIGHT on that top pointy bone on my shoulders... I HAVE to wear something underneath or the hard nylon & plastic just digs in. (Wtf how was that a good idea bauer?)

Edit: gusts? No. Guards! Stupid phone.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 6, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My high school league required neck guards for my freshman and sophomore years, but took away the requirement because supposedly they were causing more harm than good. I guess people were pulling on them or something? In any event, gently caress neck guards, I always felt like I was being choked by them regardless of how loose they were

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand I took a goalie stick to the throat a month or so ago because he was trying to puck handle back there, panicked when he saw me, and I guess lost all motor control in his arms.

Because it's hockey and if it can go wrong, eventually it will.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

did your neck get cut? usually they are to protect cuts to the neck and not impacts, but maybe they've changed.

growing up i had one but i think it was meant for goalies and it was pretty miserable, they got rid of that requirement for me in like 2000 I think?

shyduck posted:

My high school league required neck guards for my freshman and sophomore years, but took away the requirement because supposedly they were causing more harm than good. I guess people were pulling on them or something?

yeah that sounds about right

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
any bruises scrapes or other superficial injuries that occur during hockey games represent a failure of expensive protective equipment

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
What about sore muscles? I ask as I'm about to write a scathing yelp review cause I didn't ask to play this here beer league hockey stuff with sore muscles! :argh:

Oh yeah also my d partner got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty last night which awarded the other team a penalty shot cause he slid-threw his stick at the puck when the dude beat him on a breakaway. :3:

Our goalie stopped the penalty shot no problem therefore I believe it was "a smart penalty" :smug:

I love div 8

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I wear a neck guard, probably going to switch to one of those compression shirts with the guard built in.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DeNofa posted:

I've been playing hockey for a few months and I'm thinking I need to replace my cheap rear end Graf G15 gloves. A lot of model are on clearance right now: Easton Mako, Mako M5, Sealth RS II, the higher end Bauer Supremes (TotalONE, One.8), Reebok 26/28/30k, and CCM CL500. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of these? Would I be stupid to buy these sight-unseen online?

To follow up on this: went to LHS, hate Easton, hate Bauer, Reebok is unknown, love CCM. I tried the new Tacks 6052 and they're pretty awesome. HockeyMonkey has both the 6052 ($99) and CL500 (was $189, now $97) and I'm unsure as to what I want to go with. I got to try on the Tacks Ultra which replaced the CL500 and I like those just fine. Would it make sense to get last year's top model over this years second model if they're the same price?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

DeNofa posted:

To follow up on this: went to LHS, hate Easton, hate Bauer, Reebok is unknown, love CCM. I tried the new Tacks 6052 and they're pretty awesome. HockeyMonkey has both the 6052 ($99) and CL500 (was $189, now $97) and I'm unsure as to what I want to go with. I got to try on the Tacks Ultra which replaced the CL500 and I like those just fine. Would it make sense to get last year's top model over this years second model if they're the same price?

I would go for last years top of the line myself. Top of the line is top of the line and really "the best" from 5 years ago is better than "pretty good" right now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Good advice, only way I would disagree with it is when the "improvement" is something like the click release holder. gently caress that poo poo.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

Good advice, only way I would disagree with it is when the "improvement" is something like the click release holder. gently caress that poo poo.

What the hell is a click release holder?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A little lever you press on the blade holder to quick release the blade.

You know for all those times beer leaguers need their equipment manager to get them a fresh edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

A little lever you press on the blade holder to quick release the blade.

You know for all those times beer leaguers need their equipment manager to get them a fresh edge.

Definitely something that will be frequently used and to consider when buying top of the line skates for sure.