Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

George Miller needs to film Mad Max: Furiosa in Mongolia Tibet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Xinjiang, that way they get the right terrain while being equally provocative.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SMG, I think most of the people in this thread understand Fury Road just fine

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Fury Road was a difficult movie to follow if you wanted everything about it to make sense, because its storytelling was very economical. The explanation for things was not always explicit, and was usually done with one line, and then never revisited. So there are people out there who didn't get it.

Like Jack Baruth, and half the people who posted on his review:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/06/ttac-movies-mad-max-fury-road/

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Most blockbuster movies manage to throw in a few scenes in China to qualify for "Chinese content" and thus bypass government restrictions on the number of foreign movies that get distributed. Needless to say a postapoc movie has trouble doing so.

Hitting too close for home as a documentary of Beijing suburbs?

Edit:

VideoTapir posted:

Fury Road was a difficult movie to follow if you wanted everything about it to make sense, because its storytelling was very economical. The explanation for things was not always explicit, and was usually done with one line, and then never revisited. So there are people out there who didn't get it.

Like Jack Baruth, and half the people who posted on his review:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/06/ttac-movies-mad-max-fury-road/

Just stopped to read that review.

Goddrat is he loving wrong about things.

I mean holy poo poo I throw the term intentionally dense around a lot but gently caress, his picture is underneath it in the dictionary.

Thump! fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 6, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol

defend bad movies tell people who like good movies they liked them for the wrong reasons or don't know why they liked em.

Where's the Zizek quote about this.

You do not know why you liked the film.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrMojok posted:

SMG, I think most of the people in this thread understand Fury Road just fine

You FOOL! You don't talk to it. Avert your eyes and let the Rain Man-esque droplets of noise pitter-patter their way past.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I liked this film because it was very good. :)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Is there a version of One of the Living that sounds like it does in the opening credits of Thunderdome? If there is I can't find it :smith:

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Outstanding. This is real.

Also, I just realized Furiosa rips Joe's face off by hooking the harpoon into his real jaw AND his mask's jaw. Now I get it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crisco Kid posted:

Also, I just realized Furiosa rips Joe's face off by hooking the harpoon into his real jaw AND his mask's jaw. Now I get it.

Yeah. Leaving the theater I wondered how his mask ripping off could rip his jaw off, and thought maybe his mask was screwed into his jawbone or something. It hadn't registered that she had caught both on her harpoon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is there a version of One of the Living that sounds like it does in the opening credits of Thunderdome? If there is I can't find it :smith:

There isn't except for ripping the opening credits off Youtube or whatever which sucks because it's totally rad. :( Of stuff that was actually released this is probably the closest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLA9wAVsAAw

Furthermore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuO_8VlYAfk

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Crisco Kid posted:

This movie just keeps on giving. I had wondered the same thing too, then I saw it again and thought I noticed exactly what this screen cap proves.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

VideoTapir posted:

Xinjiang, that way they get the right terrain while being equally provocative.

The movie Kekexili, the Mountain Patrol takes place on the Tibetan plateau and that makes Australia or Namibia look like the Garden of Eden. Ther air is so thin there is a foot chase that lasts about 30 seconds before both chaser and chasee collapse from pulmonary edema and the ground actively tries to murder you.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

From what I understand, Australia was more or less "spared" most of the nuclear war in Mad Max, so I wonder what kind of hellscape America or Europe looks like.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Probably nuked, then covered in glaciers from an ice age.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shadeoses posted:

Probably nuked, then covered in glaciers from an ice age.

I demand a spinoff with snowmobiles and zambonis.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Most blockbuster movies manage to throw in a few scenes in China to qualify for "Chinese content" and thus bypass government restrictions on the number of foreign movies that get distributed. Needless to say a postapoc movie has trouble doing so.

Mad Mao: Fury March

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Blarghalt posted:

From what I understand, Australia was more or less "spared" most of the nuclear war in Mad Max, so I wonder what kind of hellscape America or Europe looks like.

Ironically the hardened-bunker Megacities of America were less affected by the nuclear exchange and their society has a higher standard of living even though it's equally dystopian. While Furiosa is learning that hope is a mistake and unless you can fix what's broken you'll go mad, Judge Andersen is learning to be the best boot stomping on a human face forever that she can possibly be.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Otisburg posted:

I demand a spinoff with snowmobiles and zambonis.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You do not know why you liked the film.

:mediocre:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Fury Road 2: they do actually reach the substantially-reduced ocean and have a series of boat/jetski chases across it
Fury Road 3: the other continents are iced over and they get chased back to Australia on snowmobiles and modified SM100S's

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How could it take 160 days to ride across australia?

How could bikes carry 160 days worth of fuel?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VideoTapir posted:

I think that direction led to an empty ocean.

This stood out to me and I don't remember any one explanation being offered that made sense. If there's a city out there, then you say you can make the city and can stock up there.

Even if they hid, previously, caches in a line, that's taking a lot for granted for a path probably not very traveled. But if they do decide to make a movie about going off in that direction, I'm hopin gthey can use it to reboot the Tremors worms.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's because the movie's not a documentary. There's an obvious gulf between what is told and what is shown. While Furiosa 'objectively' sets out on a 200-day journey with tons of supplies, the imagery is of her on a tiny motorcycle, driving out into a blank space.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

VideoTapir posted:

A - its one bad line in a really good movie
B - they are speaking figuratively, like in their world "160 days" means "forever" or "a really long time" for some reason.
C - the oceans receded and they are heading north towards new guinea but are claiming 160 days because....

The movie owns and it is funny how every so often someone comes in to bitch about this one little point cause it sticks out

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

VideoTapir posted:

Clearly they would need to call the Central Government for help! The Central Government will send help!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

50 miles to the gallon, say, though it'd probably be minmaxed a lot higher
5 gallon tanks plus another 60 gallons if you look at Max's load
65*50 = 3,250 miles
/160 days = 20 miles per day

There you go, dorks who can't enjoy anything, they only ride for an hour a day to keep the bikes in working condition. 160 days.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Efexeye posted:

50 miles to the gallon, say, though it'd probably be minmaxed a lot higher
5 gallon tanks plus another 60 gallons if you look at Max's load
65*50 = 3,250 miles
/160 days = 20 miles per day

There you go, dorks who can't enjoy anything, they only ride for an hour a day to keep the bikes in working condition. 160 days.

i do not think anyone is not enjoying the movie when they are commenting on this part lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

At 158 days they fall off the edge of the world, actually

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured it was not perfectly staged but what would make sense is

* Gas the bikes and spare cans from the Rig, then strap them on top
* Drive rig -> that way until rig dies or runs out of fuel (they still had that big extra ball they were gonna give the canyon guys, right?)
* Drive bikes -> that way until they also die or run out of fuel, exhausting jerrycans as they go
* Walk remainder of way, possibly eating Nux

Abandoning the rig didn't make a ton of sense but perhaps they figured it would deter pursuit? Other than Joe himself, nobody seemed specifically agitated by the wives escaping.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i do not think anyone is not enjoying the movie when they are commenting on this part lol

http://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1436204157&page=1

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Uh,that leads nowhere.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Search CD for '160 days'.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nessus posted:

* Drive rig -> that way until rig dies or runs out of fuel (they still had that big extra ball they were gonna give the canyon guys, right?)
* Drive bikes -> that way until they also die or run out of fuel, exhausting jerrycans as they go

Abandoning the rig didn't make a ton of sense but perhaps they figured it would deter pursuit? Other than Joe himself, nobody seemed specifically agitated by the wives escaping.

160 days is simply an error in the movie, there's no way it can be fixed or explained away. Just pretend Furiosa said "16 days" and accept it.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I know how you feel, I tried to find the intro version aswell for the longest time, but it seems to be a mix wich they never released. This one is the closest i found and its a silly club mix. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUZcyTVp9KI

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Nessus posted:

That War Rig probably doesn't get great gas mileage compared to the bikes, although "getting as far as possible" isn't necessarily the same as "lasting 160 days".

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The actual explanation for 160 days is it's a movie and doesn't need to be scientifically or factually accurate, really.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I am entirely behind the times, but I finally saw this last weekend and I loved it. Like the original trilogy, the visuals are by far the strongest part of the movie and are a fantastic example of storytelling by showing. Overall it was a really fun movie that doesn't have many down moments that break the pace like a lot of action movies. By far my favorite part was when Max walks back from the fog after taking out the Bullet Farmer, covered in blood, and one of the wives asks "Are you bleeding?" Can't say enough about how good the cinematography was in this movie.

That said, Fury Road really blows the original movies out of the water. I never saw the original growing up despite my older brother watching them over and over when we were young. I finally watched Mad Max and Road Warrior and I was wholly unimpressed, I think it was from a lack of nostalgia and misplaced expectations. Hearing others talk about the movies I was exciting Max to be a total badass, one-man army kind of guy, but he always ended up crashing his car and getting the poo poo kicked out of him. I assume the intro to Fury Road is a callback to that because Max was a much better fighter in this one. Aside from setting the bar for post-apocalyptic settings I felt the originals were far too campy and disjointed.

Am I looking at the old movies the wrong way? What about them makes them classics in your eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just on a basic level....how impressive they were considering the time and budget.

• Locked thread