Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think medusas might be one of the most poorly designed enemies I've ever seen in a game. Am I gonna have to wall off every marble cave like its a loving quarantine zone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I think medusas might be one of the most poorly designed enemies I've ever seen in a game. Am I gonna have to wall off every marble cave like its a loving quarantine zone?

Make them Authentic marble zones.

Fill it with LAVA.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Man I am not enjoying the Martian invasion event. The little guys are fine but I can't kill the saucers, and I can't end the event because once the saucers are up, the little guys don't really spawn anymore so it's just sitting above my house pounding away, and if I die the damaged one flies away and a fresh one takes its place.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Here is my crazy mess of a base. Like Tamayachi said, I only have a vague idea of what's in most of them. Important crafting materials are in the water chest next to the forge; the rest are just a hodgepodge of everything. And I have a hallow encroachment on the right side that I badly need to push back. I do have a teleporter network at least; one switch to the dungeon, one to the jungle and one to my favorite fishing spot. Medium world.

Also, why isn't my chlorophyte farm working? That's been like that for the past .. 30 hours or so. Ended up farming the jungle for the chlorophyte bullets I needed to kill Moon lord reliably. Let me say, Vortex beater with shroomite armor and chlorophyte bullets tears him apart. UFO mount required for maximum fun.

Edit:

Geomancing posted:

Man I am not enjoying the Martian invasion event. The little guys are fine but I can't kill the saucers, and I can't end the event because once the saucers are up, the little guys don't really spawn anymore so it's just sitting above my house pounding away, and if I die the damaged one flies away and a fresh one takes its place.

Do you have a good yo-yo? Farm the hardmode dungeon to get one if you don't. I kill the UFO boss while sitting on the second rung from the top of my mushroom farm. Takes a while but is totally painless.
Here's my dungeon farm:

I assume you have Plantera's grenade launcher? Just make a big open area like that, buy rocket III's from the cyborg and launch them nonstop. Use a yo-yo or similar for the skulls and stuff. You can easily make a profit on ammo and you get all kinds of great loot.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 7, 2015

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Nuebot posted:

Which ammo have infinite versions now?

Musket balls and wooden arrows. 4 stacks of 999 each, crafted at the crystal ball the wizard sells you.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
If you've opened up the Jungle Temple just farm the solar eclipse tablets and fight Mothron in a boss arena, he drops the Eye of Cthulu yoyos pretty often

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boogalo posted:

Are they 1.1 worlds? To fix it, you have to load them with 1.2 somehow. I acquired the GOG version of 1.2, loaded the worlds, quit, then they loaded ok in 1.3.

Make backups!

What's your SteamID?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Internet Kraken posted:

Marble caves seem common enough that likely as not wherever you try to build a hellevator you're going to run through (or at least near) one. Which means like a third of the time at least when you try to use it you are going to die.

Oh and fun fact, walling it off doesn't help. Medusa gives no shits whether she actually has line of sight to you. If she's on your screen she can stone you and if you're in midair you're dead. If you're not, you might be dead anyway depending what else is going on around you.

I have to agree that "if this enemy appears on your screen you instantly die and there is nothing you can do about it short of investing hours in convoluted countermeasures" is a pretty bad design decision. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 7, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tanith posted:

Musket balls and wooden arrows. 4 stacks of 999 each, crafted at the crystal ball the wizard sells you.

Sounds like a massive waste of money. Better off spending pocket change on party bullets.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Sounds like a massive waste of money. Better off spending pocket change on party bullets.

He wanted an ammo independent option.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I wish I pulled this Snowball Cannon outta my loot pile and tried it earlier, it's awesome. Makes me feel like I'm playing that lovely old South Park FPS.

Here's my little cabin/lodge type thing I've been messing with. All the NPCs live in a shitbox apartment farther away that I plan to turn into a village eventually.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

My favorite part is how the Party Girl decided to move into the exterior Cask Of Amontillado room in the basement.

This reminds me. In one of my old worlds around the time of 1.2 I was building a dungeon when I got the message that the Party Girl had arrived. I kept working on it and apparently she decided to go down the hallway of skeleton banners and armor statues, down all the stairs, to come check it out.

She's weird.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eric the Mauve posted:

Marble caves seem common enough that likely as not wherever you try to build a hellevator you're going to run through (or at least near) one. Which means like a third of the time at least when you try to use it you are going to die.

Oh and fun fact, walling it off doesn't help. Medusa gives no shits whether she actually has line of sight to you. If she's on your screen she can stone you and if you're in midair you're dead. If you're not, you might be dead anyway depending what else is going on around you.

I have to agree that "if this enemy appears on your screen you instantly die and there is nothing you can do about it short of investing hours in convoluted countermeasures" is a pretty bad design decision. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

They don't even have to be on your screen, is the worst part. I've been killed in an ice biome because a medusa from a tiny, tiny square of a marble biome was hosed off somewhere I couldn't even see and turned me to stone, causing me to fall through some ice into the water and drown. I love playing the "find the medusa" game before you get killed through stone. Freezing is a lovely status effect too. I don't know why they love completely cutting off your mobility in games where you're entirely dependent on it for your survival.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I start routinely going through stacks of musket balls once I get my first gun from the corruption or crimson. It's probably something about the bang noise. Once I hit hard mode I start going through stacks of the hard mode ammo, too. And I'm not talking stacks eventually; I mean I'm shooting multiple stacks of ammo on every outing. At that point having an infinite bag of bullets for "just in case" barely registers on the ammo expense report.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

can't you just wear wings, removing all fall damage

I mean, I don't, cuz I got a loving spaceship and all. But couldn't you?

Kraden
Mar 22, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Doesn't work, you still take fall damage if you're petrified.
Jungle/Marble biomes are the worst thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Excelzior posted:

Hahaha! Nope! Medusa's stone attack disables wings or grapples, disables all fall damage reduction, and dramatically increases your fall damage. If you fall more than like 15 blocks, 400 HP is not enough to save you. gently caress you, player! :cawg:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheBlandName posted:

I start routinely going through stacks of musket balls once I get my first gun from the corruption or crimson. It's probably something about the bang noise. Once I hit hard mode I start going through stacks of the hard mode ammo, too. And I'm not talking stacks eventually; I mean I'm shooting multiple stacks of ammo on every outing. At that point having an infinite bag of bullets for "just in case" barely registers on the ammo expense report.

Well, for the cost of those 4 stacks of lovely ammo you could have gotten 8 stacks of good ammo and if you run out you have a mirror :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Is there even a tell for her pertrification attack? I don't know when it's safe to face her and when it isn't.

I was wondering what the big fuss about Yoyos were. They were pretty decent, better than swords, but I didn't think they were super powerful. Then I crafted a yoyo bag. :stare: That's just completely ridiculous.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Ambaire posted:

Also, why isn't my chlorophyte farm working? That's been like that for the past .. 30 hours or so. Ended up farming the jungle for the chlorophyte bullets I needed to kill Moon lord reliably. Let me say, Vortex beater with shroomite armor and chlorophyte bullets tears him apart. UFO mount required for maximum fun.

iirc chlorophyte growth is based on depth; the deeper it is, the faster it grows. Up at the surface like that, nothing doing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is there even a tell for her pertrification attack?

Yeah, it looks like this:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Hmm if I didn't know any better I'd guess you are being extremely salty over this

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
About how long do super rare drops stick around for? I've got a farm set up for the Crimson/Frost keys, but I don't want them to despawn.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is there even a tell for her pertrification attack? I don't know when it's safe to face her and when it isn't.

does not facing her even work? that was the first thing I tried after one of them killed me for the first time and it didnt seem to matter if my back was to her or not.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Million Ghosts posted:

Hmm if I didn't know any better I'd guess you are being extremely salty over this

It's a legit bad design. Even if you don't die from fall damage, it holds you in place for like ten seconds or more and as far as I'm aware there's noway to stop or reduce it so you get hosed by anything in the nearby area. If that wasn't bad enough they can happily petrify you immediately after you unpetrify too.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I'm not really defending it but like if you're that mad just.. turn the game off for a bit?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kly posted:

does not facing her even work? that was the first thing I tried after one of them killed me for the first time and it didnt seem to matter if my back was to her or not.

It's actually the other way around. She can't be facing you. So if you somehow manage to be close enough and fast enough to see her, recognize her petrify animation, and manage to get behind her, you're good.

Needless to say, this will basically never happen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kly posted:

Somewhat? It might be a bit finicky, but most of the time, facing away from her usually prevents petrification.

LightningSquid posted:

About how long do super rare drops stick around for? I've got a farm set up for the Crimson/Frost keys, but I don't want them to despawn.

Until there's too many dropped items in the world. I believe that's like thousands of items before they stop despawning.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

they should make the petrify a projectile or/and give you a kid icarus mirror shield or something.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, they should make it so that wearing sunglasses blocks the petrify. Pretend they're mirrored.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

No, they should make it so that wearing sunglasses blocks the petrify. Pretend they're mirrored.

Great idea for a TShock plugin.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

dis astranagant posted:

TheBlandName posted:

dis astranagant posted:

Well, for the cost of those 4 stacks of lovely ammo you could have gotten 8 stacks of good ammo and if you run out you have a mirror :v:

I just calculated how much it would cost to make both of the endless ammo items if you didn't have any of either, and it comes to just shy of 5 gold total, around 2 for the arrows and 2.75 or so for the musket balls. Not really a bad price for being able to run around shooting your gun/bow literally forever if you feel like it. Especially seeing as how Ranged is the DPS attack stat in the first place.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Nothing like beating expert skeletron with an army of bees and 10 goons!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Million Ghosts posted:

I wish I pulled this Snowball Cannon outta my loot pile and tried it earlier, it's awesome. Makes me feel like I'm playing that lovely old South Park FPS.

The snowball cannon carried me through a lot of the early-mid pre-hardmode game. Solid damage and near infinite ammo were a huge upgrade to the bows and crap I was able to craft or find.

15k rounds from one stack of snow blocks that can be farmed by bombing out a pit in the cold biome. Never stop shooting snowballs.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I once got killed by an off screen medusa while riding by on a mine cart. I got stoned, fell out of the cart and died before i even knew what happened. Medusas are indefensibly bad enemy design.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

legoman727 posted:

I once got killed by an off screen medusa while riding by on a mine cart. I got stoned, fell out of the cart and died before i even knew what happened. Medusas are indefensibly bad enemy design.

This same thing happened to me but I fell into lava

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
YMMV but I've ridden a mine cart or descended down a hell-rope through marble biomes probably 30 or 40 times and I've never been petrified by a Medusa when I'm just passing through.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

dis astranagant posted:

I wish that there were infinite bags for better ammo (similar recipe, they could increase the bullet cost and I wouldn't care because the convenience would be worth it). No one is seriously going to use musket bullets when they could be using any other ammo type for better results, and when you've gathered enough resources to make a bullet type (let alone 3999 of it), it's not like getting more when you run out is difficult.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is there even a tell for her pertrification attack?

Yeah. When her snake hair starts moving and lashing out tongues, if you look at the medusa, you'll be instantly petrified. Fun enemy though, I don't get why people are so upset about it.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Finally, after many many attempts and guides sacrificed, I was able to kill the expert flesh wall solo. Here's how I did it:

*Hellstone armor, defense as high as it can go
*all the potions.
*used mainly a Phoenix blaster and demon scythe for damage, also Molotov cocktails/beenades for days. I also tried large boulder traps at the start for early damage, but may not be necessary.
*Fart on a balloon
*nurse somewhere in the middle could help like with any boss, but I ended up not needing her.

What really helped out though was turning on autopause. Being able to get my bearings on order and plan my moves midnight helped tremendously.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Falsum posted:

I don't get why people are so upset about it.

Instakills you from offscreen before you're even aware it exists. As has been said, this is legitimately bad game design, particularly so in a game which offers an ironman mode.

Example: I've died three times to petrify, and only survived one other time because i was in my hellevator and unpetrified before i hit bottom. At no point have i ever actually seen a medusa. I have seen medusa guts sometimes when my dragon kills them, but never once saw the living mob.

On the plus side, it's almost certainly going to be fixed in a patch.