Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Harrow posted:

The real way to stop farming in Souls is to stop encouraging farming in the first place.

It will never happen because but I wish they'd do away with weapon upgrades (+s, anyway; infusions are fine) and just make all damage increases come from scaling. Cuts grinding and 90% solves The Twink Problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I was going to respond with "Frozen Outskirts", but then I realized who made the post.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I prefer the weapon upgrade from items over souls. Though in Bloodborne you never had to worry about them things and that's the best one.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I agree completely.

Bloodborne actually makes me think the series might be better off dropping all RPG elements completely and just focusing on the action.

Here are your weapon options, here are your armor options, here are the enemies. Go. No souls, no levels, no upgrades.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater? Maybe.

I know you put that bit at the end, but this is the worst idea in the history of worst ideas. If they drop anything related to farming, it should be making stupidly rare drops not rare.

One of the biggest complaints against bloodborne is that you can't actually make different builds in it. There's no "caster" archetype, there's no "fat rolling heavy armoured guy", every single build is "speedy agile dude with varying degrees of fast weapons". The weapons do all handle differently which is nice, but they still end up samey in the end. Every fight is approached the same way regardless of weapon.

If anything I'd like to see an actual level cap in the game besides whatever level gets you 99 in every stat. Having to decide if you want to invest in enough endurance to fast roll in that heavy armour or not is an interesting decision which completely changes how you play that character.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you played a caster you a bitch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

There's not a single outright bad level in any of the Souls games.

Crystal Caves

quote:

Even before the nerf it's practically challenge mode compared to Zweihander in DS1 or Hanzo Steel in DS2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Crystal Caves

The gimmick is fine if you're staying along the main path, the fight with the clams is decent and rewards careful assessment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I can't wait for this game to come out and everyone to complain darksouls 2 was better. Anyway, I'm excited to hear Dark Souls 3 is going to be a thing and I think that armor set in those images looks rad. I hope the PVP will be less borked than it was in 2 though.

Genocyber posted:

There's not a single outright bad level in any of the Souls games.

Blight town. New Londo ghost-gently caress central. The poison poo poo area of Demon's Souls. Frozen Wastes. Earthen Peak isn't the worst but it's pretty boring.

What I'm getting at is poison focused levels are annoying and whoever keeps coming up with them should be kicked in the balls.

Oh and the crystal caves gets an honorary mention.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

All the games own really hard tbh.

Poison levels are the equivalent of water levels in Sonics and we have to live with them. Umbasa.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Blight town. New Londo ghost-gently caress central. The poison poo poo area of Demon's Souls. Frozen Wastes. Earthen Peak isn't the worst but it's pretty boring.

What I'm getting at is poison focused levels are annoying and whoever keeps coming up with them should be kicked in the balls.

Oh and the crystal caves gets an honorary mention.

Aside from being well-designed, poison levels are fantastic since they make a lot of people whine like babies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

megalodong posted:

I know you put that bit at the end, but this is the worst idea in the history of worst ideas. If they drop anything related to farming, it should be making stupidly rare drops not rare.

One of the biggest complaints against bloodborne is that you can't actually make different builds in it. There's no "caster" archetype, there's no "fat rolling heavy armoured guy", every single build is "speedy agile dude with varying degrees of fast weapons". The weapons do all handle differently which is nice, but they still end up samey in the end. Every fight is approached the same way regardless of weapon.

If anything I'd like to see an actual level cap in the game besides whatever level gets you 99 in every stat. Having to decide if you want to invest in enough endurance to fast roll in that heavy armour or not is an interesting decision which completely changes how you play that character.

That's definitely true, Bloodborne doesn't have 1/100th the replayability for me that souls games do because of the lack of customization. That's why I said "maybe too much, throwing the baby out with the bathwater?" In my post though. I'm not ignorant to that issue.

The way the games handle things now though feels like a holdover from other RPGs, like they could maybe redesign it to be more unique to Souls games and be better for it. Its not easy though.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It will never happen because but I wish they'd do away with weapon upgrades (+s, anyway; infusions are fine) and just make all damage increases come from scaling. Cuts grinding and 90% solves The Twink Problem.

That actually seems like a decent middle path. Still have levels and thus still have customization and character differentiation, but get rid of weapon upgrades entirely. All weapons start with a certain base and scaling. Some weapons are better early on when you don't have many stats, but then as you level up the weapons with good scaling get better. Yeah that removes the main grinding and ability for people to SL1 twink their characters for the most part.

Combine that with having all weapons and armor be either treasures at a spot in a level or sold by vendors (as opposed to randomly dropped) and I think you'd have a really good balance. Still have RPG stats, but almost zero random RNG.

RBA Starblade posted:

Crystal Caves

Were pretty fun and absurdly short. Its really Duke's Part 2, Crystal doesn't count as a level on its own because its sooo short. The path isn't hard to find if you just look for snowflakes or bring stones.

Surprised if you were going to pick a "worst level" you didn't go for Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith. The last bit is pretty cool but all that stuff in the lava is pretty garbage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The path isn't hard to find if you just look for snowflakes or bring stones.

The collision detection is the unfun part. The clams are easy as poo poo to kill and the dev messages make identifying the paths easy.

quote:

Surprised if you were going to pick a "worst level" you didn't go for Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith. The last bit is pretty cool but all that stuff in the lava is pretty garbage.

Bloombutt Lake is ok if only because you can ignore all of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuebot posted:

Uh, sorry but Blight Town is one of the most iconic and coolest zones in all of souls. Everybody talks about it. And its really not that bad! Valley of Defilement was way worse.

Frame rate issues on PS3 sucked, but on PC it was always great.

Also Sen's Fortress was one of the all time best levels and it had some poison so your argument is flawed.

Earthen Peak is kinda boring, yeah.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
the ultimate souls............ get rid of weapons, characters, and levels. Pure Souls

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blighttown's great because it makes everyone freak out their first time. Not so much because of the poor framerate though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zaphod42 posted:

You could feel the copy and pasting the designers did in the their level editor. The taurus demon convention next to ceaseless really stood out to me as well as the 3rd time you fight asylum demon.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm running through DS2 now and I definitely miss being able to boss-run. It's still doable on some bosses but there was basically no boss in the first game you couldn't do it on if you wanted, while there are plenty of tough to impossible ones in DS2, like ones with enemies so close to the fog door you have to spend as much time getting them out of the way to not get interrupted entering as you would killing them in the first place.

Also I never bothered with poison weapons in DS1 but I figured I'd try DW double poison just for fun in PvP and it seems kinda...poo poo? Even with two +9 Poison-infused weapons I need a full stamina-bar worth of attacks to actually make anything poisoned, whether player or monster. In the latter case it's not that bad since it's not tough to set up, but it's pointless since I do baby damage compared to regular weapons that would easily kill them in one bar's worth of attacks anyway, and actually stagger them on the way too. In PvP I basically can't win if they're good at dodging/I gently caress up my stamina management because the pitiful amount of normal weapon damage doesn't stand a chance at whittling them down, so my only chance is if I manage to stagger them from full stamina and get them poisoned that way (and even then I'll probably need to manage that twice, more if they get heals off). Seems pointless compared to just making my weapons actually deal damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Poison is good, you need either a weapon with innate poison so it does a shitton of poison damage when infused, or something that hits multiple times with a single attack (like the Channeler's Trident). Also you want the Sanctum Soldier Gauntlets and Rat Covenant Ring (both boost poison buildup). With that kind of setup you can poison people easily.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Poison is good, you need either a weapon with innate poison so it does a shitton of poison damage when infused, or something that hits multiple times with a single attack (like the Channeler's Trident). Also you want the Sanctum Soldier Gauntlets and Rat Covenant Ring (both boost poison buildup). With that kind of setup you can poison people easily.

Throw on the butterfly set too, as long as you remember to take it off when you get to a friendly npc.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Not really worth DWing for poison then? Pity since you'd think speedy attacks to build up poison is exactly the kinda thing DW would be suited for.

Oh well, I can go back to more conventional weaponry for now anyway. Or just do some more progressing through the game, probably. My weapons probably suck for my build (or in general), but they've served me well so far.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't wait for a game to wash bloodborne out of my mouth. What a gutted game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Oh yeah also there isn't actually a time limit in the run to Sir Alonne. You can literally take as long as you want.

This is straight up wrong. I know, because I have personally run up against the time limit because I took so drat long with the Alonne knights that one run. (I had incredibly poor judge of positioning and distance and aggroed all of them and spent way too long running away and taking pot shots).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

I can't wait for a game to wash bloodborne out of my mouth. What a gutted game.

I really wish I had stopped on my first run through but by god I've come this far and I'm getting this loving platinum trophy.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Gologle posted:

This is straight up wrong. I know, because I have personally run up against the time limit because I took so drat long with the Alonne knights that one run. (I had incredibly poor judge of positioning and distance and aggroed all of them and spent way too long running away and taking pot shots).

Then how long is it, like a half hour? I've literally let the game idle during that and wasn't kicked out.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought Bloodborne was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. What happened?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Then how long is it, like a half hour? I've literally let the game idle during that and wasn't kicked out.

I honestly don't know, but when I did see the warning pop up on the screen and everything start to lose color and then it kicks you out, I remember thinking "really? I wasn't even in here that long."

So I have no idea how long it is, but it's apparently shorter than you think and longer than you hope.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't get being bothered by how someone else plays the game. You enjoy dodging and murdering with a melted weapon, but different people like different things, I've never played a caster but it seems fun. Play how you want and don't poo poo on what other people like for no reason.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

funmanguy posted:

I don't get being bothered by how someone else plays the game. You enjoy dodging and murdering with a melted weapon, but different people like different things, I've never played a caster but it seems fun. Play how you want and don't poo poo on what other people like for no reason.

you a bitch

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

I think we all already knew that.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Tallgeese posted:

I thought Bloodborne was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. What happened?

It is. These guys are nuts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vials suck gun parries suck finite amounts of gun parries suck chalice dungeons suck every other boss having an instant kill or instant kill combo sucks the co-op systems suck the invasions suck the covenants suck the trick weapons suck the lack of build variety sucks the lack of weapon variety sucks. I'm crazy and I don't know what I'll do! Besides platinum this game I love and hate.

e: Wait this isn't the BB thread.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

RBA Starblade posted:

Vials suck gun parries suck finite amounts of gun parries suck chalice dungeons suck every other boss having an instant kill or instant kill combo sucks the co-op systems suck the invasions suck the covenants suck the trick weapons suck the lack of build variety sucks the lack of weapon variety sucks. I'm crazy and I don't know what I'll do! Besides platinum this game I love and hate.

e: Wait this isn't the BB thread.

Keep in mind this is the guy that has tried to tell the entire BB thread they are wrong multiple times that they are wrong about the game's mechanics. To the point where it became a running joke that he had the one copy in existence that experienced these things.

What I'm saying is that Bloodborne, while not perfect, is still a great game. As for the DS2 argument, I beat both DeS and Bloodborne and felt they were easier. Hey, everyone is different though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Keep in mind this is the guy that has tried to tell the entire BB thread they are wrong multiple times that they are wrong about the game's mechanics. To the point where it became a running joke that he had the one copy in existence that experienced these things.

What I'm saying is that Bloodborne, while not perfect, is still a great game. As for the DS2 argument, I beat both DeS and Bloodborne and felt they were easier. Hey, everyone is different though.

also it took him a long time to realize a lot of his issues were from input lag on his lovely tv.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Similarly, you can't run to the Chariot boss in Huntsman's Copse--if you try to bum rush through the executioners, you have holes in your way and an invader to slow you down. Yeah, it's possible, but far far more aggravating to accomplish than any similar run in DS1.

this is demonstrably wrong. not even in a GIT GUD way, you can legit run from the second bonfire under the cliff up to the chariot boss in both vanilla DS2 and SotFS and as long as you can nail the jump from the rope bridge to one of the side platforms outside the chariot fog wall, you can also rack up a bunch of juicy souls as the monster AI loving struggles at the rope bridge.

to get past the executioners, run straight towards the first one on the pillar closest to the right wall and know that when he lands, he lands far enough in front of the pillar that you can go between him and it. then, you just roll up the slope to dodge the whip guy and zig right / roll right to move past the other executioner, and you're home free. i guess if you run around in full havel gear at all times this might not work, but if you're medium or less equip weight w/ fast roll it's flawless.

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm running through DS2 now and I definitely miss being able to boss-run. It's still doable on some bosses but there was basically no boss in the first game you couldn't do it on if you wanted, while there are plenty of tough to impossible ones in DS2, like ones with enemies so close to the fog door you have to spend as much time getting them out of the way to not get interrupted entering as you would killing them in the first place.

also :psyboom: you can run straight through almost every zone to the boss in DS2. like maybe a couple you have to do one suicide run first just to open doors or move levers or whatever, but there's really no bosses in the core game I can think of that you can't just run straight to if you want to. maybe twin dragon rider / looking glass knight in drangelic castle only because you explicitly have to kill monsters next to the golems so the souls will open the door, but i think that still falls under the one-time-suicide-run idea

do you guys saying you can't boss rush just run around at 120% encumbrance for the entire game or what how did you come to such wrong conclusions

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 7, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Super creative, super good level design, really fun bosses.

Complete lack of build diversity kills replayability, complete lack of functioning covenants or pvp or co-op features other than being able to kinda do them sometimes in two zones also kills replayability.

BB was great but I was right back to DS2 after I beat it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

People are too use to Dark Souls/Bloodborne's dipshit enemies that you can literally just run past and they won't do much about you. Dark Souls II's tend to be more aggressive and chase the player for longer, so running past them is more difficult, though still entirely possible. I do hope the enemies in Dks3 are as attentive as that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I experienced what I experienced, even if some of that was because of a lovely obsolete tv. That doesn't change the vials, co-op/invading, covenants, build and weapon variety, etc. being crap in comparison to DS1 and 2. And half the time when I noted it, someone else chimed in, or noted someone else earlier in the thread who also saw something like it. I just don't like trick weapons either.

I think Bloodborne is a much worse game than DS1 or 2. It's not a bad game, but I hope DS3 takes as little as possible from it. Ok I'm done venting I feel better now.

quote:

also it took him a long time to realize a lot of his issues were from input lag on his lovely tv.

The fun thing is there wasn't any on the 360. I did a bit of testing before setting it up. Though I also made sure to get a Sony TV that advertised a low input lag for the PS4 in particular.

quote:

also you can run straight through almost every zone to the boss in DS2.

You can do that in a lot of areas in BB too. gently caress fighting the bones-on-wheels at the Unseen Village, just haul rear end to the One Reborn.

quote:

I do hope the enemies in Dks3 are as attentive as that.

It's not so much attentiveness as it is you're just plain faster than most of them. The ratdogs in the chalice dungeons are an example of something that's just as fast as you are; they'll nip at your heels once your stamina runs out.

e: Heels not heals but they also gently caress you up if you try to heal at all

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 7, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dark Souls 2 was piss easy because enemies had critically low health scores even on Champion difficulty, it was trivial to get a +10 weapon in the first 2 hours of the game (even moreso now that gray phantoms drop chunks), and poise barely existed. Unless you were fighting with a dagger or something you could stunlock everything with no effort, and hitstun is like 2 seconds long. Whoever said "it's easy because you've played a Souls game before", no. I just went back to DS1 and I'm having more trouble on my 100th playthrough than my first playthrough of DS2 on Champion difficulty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alabaster White posted:

Dark Souls 2 was piss easy because enemies had critically low health scores even on Champion difficulty, it was trivial to get a +10 weapon in the first 2 hours of the game (even moreso now that gray phantoms drop chunks), and poise barely existed. Unless you were fighting with a dagger or something you could stunlock everything with no effort, and hitstun is like 2 seconds long. Whoever said "it's easy because you've played a Souls game before", no. I just went back to DS1 and I'm having more trouble on my 100th playthrough than my first playthrough of DS2 on Champion difficulty.

Grey phantoms always dropped chunks. The Bell Covenant was basically easy street to buffing up normal weapons, in Scholar they're easy street to everything because you get slabs and bones and stuff now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Grey phantoms always dropped chunks. The Bell Covenant was basically easy street to buffing up normal weapons, in Scholar they're easy street to everything because you get slabs and bones and stuff now too.

Really? I could have sworn that invading gray phantoms didn't do anything drop-wise if you were the host. Either way, yeah, you get loads of upgrade materials really early on from the Belfries. Even apart from that, I noticed a lot more chunks around the game world in SOTFS. Even if you can't get a +10 weapon early for various reasons, a +6-7 weapon will still carry you through the entire first half of the game with little difficulty.

• Locked thread