Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Happy Blue Cow posted:

hi I like final fantasy, whats your favorite final fantasy? :)

Final Fantasy X. Definitely X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Happy Blue Cow posted:

V, XII, XIV. :)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Happy Blue Cow posted:

The World Ends With You.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love IX like I love chocolate--a lot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Crisis Core

Genesis ain't so bad. He's not supposed to be cool, everyone in-game hates his poetry too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorites include 3, 4, 5, 9, and 14 in no particular order. I'm a bit weird like that.

e: Oh yeah, today's the 15th anniversary of the Japanese release of FF9. So yeah.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 7, 2015

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tae posted:

It's strange that the Xbox 360 and Nintendo both had initiatives to make RPGs from a supposed dream team of talent. Which do you will aged better, Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon/Last Remnant or Pandora's Tower/The Last Story/Xenoblade Chronicles?

On a design and performance level, the Wii games will age better. However, Blue Dragon is the game I enjoyed the most out of all them. It's probably the closest I'll ever get to a FFV sequel.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think I like 4, 5, 6, 9, 11 and 14 the best. FF6 is the best one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a Dragon Quest Megathread in Games?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

In Training posted:

Is there a Dragon Quest Megathread in Games?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3389824

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tyvm. How many people who really like FF also like DQ, I wonder. I have been a big FF fan for a long time but only got around to play DQ this past month or so and its been a real treat to play all these cool games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Somehow the only thing I know about Dragon Quest is that it has a solid level up sound effect

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In order, 10, 7, 13. Based on side content completed 13 should rank higher as the only one I've completed the optional bosses, but I get tired of having to explain its a badly designed game but a great Final Fantasy.

8 is an honorable mention because you can turn off random encounters and buff your stats by playing triple triad instead of leveling, and it has a very accurate depiction of why you don't put 17 year olds in charge of things.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

In Training posted:

Tyvm. How many people who really like FF also like DQ, I wonder. I have been a big FF fan for a long time but only got around to play DQ this past month or so and its been a real treat to play all these cool games.

I certainly like both. As a little kid I played both the original FF and DQ and stuck with both series til today. DQ has done the best job of staying close to its roots, for better or for worse. For all it's improvements, DQ8 is still recognizable as a Dragon Quest game, just with some more bling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Levantine posted:

I certainly like both. As a little kid I played both the original FF and DQ and stuck with both series til today. DQ has done the best job of staying close to its roots, for better or for worse. For all it's improvements, DQ8 is still recognizable as a Dragon Quest game, just with some more bling.

That's the big divider really. FF seems to be pushing boundaries of technical limitations in every installment and trying to make everything bigger, brighter and flashier while also reinventing the gameplay every game, whereas DQVI was basically DQI with more options. It's very cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zedprime posted:

In order, 10, 7, 13. Based on side content completed 13 should rank higher as the only one I've completed the optional bosses, but I get tired of having to explain its a badly designed game but a great Final Fantasy.

Huh, this is like, the polar opposite reaction people usually have to XIII.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dragon quest is grindy garbage and I have no idea how that series maintained any sort of popularity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

sassassin posted:

Dragon quest is grindy garbage and I have no idea how that series maintained any sort of popularity.

autism

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had to grind once at the end in DQVI and none in DQV. Besides, making your team powerful is what JRPGs are all about.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

Huh, this is like, the polar opposite reaction people usually have to XIII.
Its emotionally immature people tearing down the conspiracy to end the world by killing godlike figures, to a fantastic soundtrack.

Meanwhile the first 2/3 of the game are hand holding to teach you the battle system that apparently didn't actually work as tutorializing because there were an awful lot of people who seemed to be quiting in that final 1/3 because of boss difficulty. Like I love the battle system but it takes getting clued in to a few key concepts that the devs hoped you got from osmosis from the encounters and early bosses instead of it being explicit anywhere.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Right, they used smart encounter design to teach you how to play, instead of endless text boxes and button prompts, like a good game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Right, they used smart encounter design to teach you how to play, instead of endless text boxes and button prompts, like a good game.

it has those too though and you can't skip them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

it has those too though and you can't skip them

It has them at start for like, here is how you paradigm shift, and interact with the menus, and what a stagger meter is. But then it's just like 6 chapters of battles before they circle back and tell you "now you can switch party members" and then a few hours later "welcome to gran pulse, there are side missions available now".

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

There is a difference between offering a tutorial of a battle system and unlocking everything that a battle system has to offer by the time one reaches the end of a game. I am perfectly ok with people disliking the pace which XIII unlocked the battle system but I think it is important to recognize that distinction.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr Pepper posted:

V, XII, XIV. :)

Before 2.55/HW this would've been my post with a slight addendum of X/X-2.

Also I'm part of the group that likes both FF games and DQ games. DQIX was entirely too much fun.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

It could have been as simple as Clippy the moogle popping up in the margins saying contextual things like "You haven't changed paradigms lately. Did you know you get free ATB charges sometimes when changing paradigms?" or "You don't have anyone seriously injured. Why do you have a medic out?" or "You haven't used a syn or a sab in a while. Did you know status effects are actually useful in this game?"

I'm all for a game teaching you by doing, but the encounter design is still such you can get away with some super dire strategies and learn nothing in the learning chapters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the rating system does a good job of indicating "hey the strategy your using technically works, but if you mix things up a bit more often you could beat this encounter in about 1/4 the time"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Do you actually get feedback as to why your rating sucks? Because if not, that's not a teaching moment, that's the game taking the piss.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MrAptronym posted:

Though I think I am alone in not really liking Xenoblade much. Its good, I just wasn't blown away or anything.

Eh, you're not alone. I couldn't even finish finish Xenoblade before getting bored and just putting it away forever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

I think the rating system does a good job of indicating "hey the strategy your using technically works, but if you mix things up a bit more often you could beat this encounter in about 1/4 the time"
Or does it indicate you don't understand how the weapon upgrade system works? In hindsight we know that paradigm switching execution will do everything to battle effectiveness compared to some incremental upgrades until you get to the final hunts but you don't really have any context for that in game.

For what its worth I personally loved the combat tuning, which should be apparent by finishing all the hunts, and I am in the final chapter in 13-2 and kind of sad the combat tuning felt kind of washed out through most of that game compared to 13.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Do you actually get feedback as to why your rating sucks? Because if not, that's not a teaching moment, that's the game taking the piss.

The only stat on the page is Time and then the stars. In the early fights where you can basically only attack they go quickly and you always get 5 stars. Then if you take time, they're lower. It might even be spelled out somewhere in game, idk.

zedprime posted:

Or does it indicate you don't understand how the weapon upgrade system works? In hindsight we know that paradigm switching execution will do everything to battle effectiveness compared to some incremental upgrades until you get to the final hunts but you don't really have any context for that in game.

For what its worth I personally loved the combat tuning, which should be apparent by finishing all the hunts, and I am in the final chapter in 13-2 and kind of sad the combat tuning felt kind of washed out through most of that game compared to 13.

Well for me, I never upgraded my weapons at all and was still able to get 5 stars so I never thought about that possibility, but that whole system is probably the weakest and most undercooked part of the game so I court concede that. It's confusing enough to where someone could blame it for their shortcomings without realizing how little it really matters. And I feel exactly the same way about XIII-2, the open nature of it was neat but it mean the tightness of the encounter design had to be sacrificed for shard hunting. It was fun for different reasons to XIII but I've revisited XIII multiple times, as opposed to only barely finishing XIII-2 the once.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

sassassin posted:

Crisis Core

Genesis ain't so bad. He's not supposed to be cool, everyone in-game hates his poetry too.

Crisis Core ain't bad at all bruv. Ain't bad at all. The Sephiroth fight is the best fight in the game though, with the Genesis fight coming in second and Minerva coming in third.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Honestly all the Dragon Quest games kind of all look the same to me, except for DQ8. I liked that one. That's about it, though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I loving love the Dragon Quest Monsters series, and I've been waiting for someone to finish translating the PS1 era DQM Collection for AGES.

Also, the remake of DQM1 on DS being JPN only is such a disappointment :saddowns:

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 7, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Eh, you're not alone. I couldn't even finish finish Xenoblade before getting bored and just putting it away forever.

Same here. The characters just completely failed to grab me and I wasn't a huge fan of the battle system either.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Annath posted:

I loving love the Dragon Quest Monsters series, and I've been waiting for someone to finish translating the PS1 era DQM Collection for AGES.

Also, the remake of DQ1 on DS being JPN only is such a disappointment :saddowns:

You can pay dq1 on your phone and it takes literally 5 hours to beat are you really missing anything???

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

sassassin posted:

The truth is DQ isn't grindy at all. People come from playing Final Fantasy where you can buy every item in the shop and expect DQ to be the same way. In DQ, you have to plan ahead. If a weapon is expensive and only raises your attack power by 5 points, don't get it. Buy the expensive weapon in the next town that will raise your attack by 10.

Mokinokaro posted:

Same here. The characters just completely failed to grab me and I wasn't a huge fan of the battle system either.

Agreed on Xenoblade. I just bought Lost Odyssey. Hope that's better.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Lost Odyssey has a pretty typical jrpg plot but fun characters and the dream bits are great writing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the fridge posted:

You can pay dq1 on your phone and it takes literally 5 hours to beat are you really missing anything???

It also kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

corn in the fridge posted:

I meant Dragon Quest Monsters 1, my bad.

Definitely can't beat that in 5 hours...