Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Had forgotten how much I love this show, such a great first episode. The two big changes - deathmatch selection and making garnets more important - seem like solid improvements too.

Sangmin is like one of those characters in fiction who keep switching between being evil and being inexplicably allowed back to join the heroes' team, but for real. Love him so much. I did enjoy his defence of S2 over S3 - that S2 was a war and S3 had too much peace and harmony. Not an unfair point.

Very excited for the rest of the season, look forward to seeing who the first big favourite to go out is, guessing there'll be a shocker at some point soon.

Slightly randomly, the winner of Big Brother 12 is keeping a Youtube playlist of all the music used this season.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Oh, nice. I knew most of those songs already, but I still picked up a few more. A few that he's missing:

They use The High Rollers 2 and The Thieves soundtracks a lot.

The High Rollers 2 - Seosiljang Preparation
The Thieves - Opening Theme
SMOKING GUN - Mr.Donut
Joseph Trapanese - Dyson (David Hiller Remix)
Calibro 35 - Notte in Bovisa

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 4, 2015

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
We agreed on a "fighting!" drinking game, but it was only said one time at the end of the episode. Maybe for the second episode a "Hyung" drinking game?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Douwe posted:

We agreed on a "fighting!" drinking game, but it was only said one time at the end of the episode. Maybe for the second episode a "Hyung" drinking game?

You'd all die.

I AM SO MAD SENATOR DAD LOST

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What's the deal with fighting, anyway?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's "good luck".

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Subyng posted:

And only 3 women for season 4.

But drat yoonsun is fiiine

Yeonjoo and Yooyoung would both be deserving for a comeback imo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Douwe posted:

you should drink when they go like 'YAH SHINGEYAH'

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Episode 1 was a good episode. But drat, people need to stop trusting Sangmin soon. It's auspicious not how he makes alliances - you gotta be in an alliance after all - but how it's always HE that fucks over the alliance rather than someone else. At least Junseok tried this time around, but still. Sangmin shows unless you're a pariah, people aren't going to turn on you for one betrayal, especially if you've got some lovely excuses hat pretend the reason you did it wasn't 'so I win'.

And drat, Kyunghoon. How does this man exist? The BTS with him and Yohwan, Yohwan patiently trying to explain to Kyunghoon how his idea of taking the card back would probably gently caress Kyunghoon over and they should work on a real plan, to no avail. How do you get to the point where even Yohwan is out-thinking you at the main game, dude. I don't mind Sangmin rescuing him though, this episode he was entertaining bad rather than fun-killer bad.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Echoing that Ep1 was real good

Also, I like that literally the entire reason why Kyunghoon hosed everything up was because he didn't want to be called a traitor this season because he's a dumbo :allears:

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
The thing is, Kyunghoon's attention-whoring incompetence is nowhere near as interesting as the high-level creative, strategic problem-solving that we've seen on previous seasons.

I really hope he leaves soon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fall posted:

The thing is, Kyunghoon's attention-whoring incompetence is nowhere near as interesting as the high-level creative, strategic problem-solving that we've seen on previous seasons.

I really hope he leaves soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_2u_7uBbc

How can you hate him. :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
He's just an X-factor. I actually suspect he might make it to the middle of the pack just because he's so erratic and chaotic that people won't know how to deal with him, and he won't lose until there's a very, very individual challenge.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was honestly surprised he wasn't picked for elimination in the first episode. He seemed like he would be a safe choice.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Max posted:

I was honestly surprised he wasn't picked for elimination in the first episode. He seemed like he would be a safe choice.

Eh I understand why Junghyun would have been more angry at Junseok, since it was partly his time wasting that got him stuck with the convict.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Zythrst posted:

Eh I understand why Junghyun would have been more angry at Junseok, since it was partly his time wasting that got him stuck with the convict.

True. I kinda wonder what Junseok's game plan was though, because he was so very obviously going to betray everyone when he pulled that move with walking away from the table while holding the card aloft and saying "Just let me talk with this one guy for a minute, then I'll come back out." Like, who was going to trust him at that point?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
(It's a new page, guys, you can drop the spoilers)

He obviously didn't have one. He had it all figured out guys! He just had to swap the correct card, and then things would be good. I don't think he ever thought that swapping the card would be difficult, because why would he think about things like that? And then, without realizing it, Sangmin showed him how it's done.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I really liked what sounded like the first draft of his plan, where he just simply switched with Kyunghoon, got the extra 3 points and won. The only flaw was that it would leave Kyunghoon the loser, but he was stuck there anyway before Sangmin saved the day. I honestly couldn't tell if he was going for the worst concealed card switch or he actually wanted to confer one last time with Kyunghoon before pulling it off, but he could not have been more blatant.

Points for the effort though. If Junseok can recover from messing this up he's definitely proven himself to be ambitious enough to stay in the race.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Caught up to season 4! :toot: Dongmin is great and I like how he consistently had a nice suit every episode (a trend he seems to be keeping this season!) It's weird seeing clips of him outside The Genius because he's never as well-dressed. His Chinguya!!! gimmick is also pretty :3: despite its repetitiveness.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of season 4 to see the all-star cast interact (shame that Junghyun was the first to get knocked out, he was also a good personality on the show.) Time to see how long the Sangmin train lasts :getin:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Can Of Worms posted:

Dongmin is great and I like how he consistently had a nice suit every episode (a trend he seems to be keeping this season!) It's weird seeing clips of him outside The Genius because he's never as well-dressed.

In the finals I kinda remember him saying something about how he was emphasizing his age to intimidate the younger players (in that case Hyunmin). So it's like his war clothes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think The Genius must force them to dress nicely. I mean, all of the girls are in nice dresses, and I refuse to believe that Jinho wears khakis on the regular.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think The Genius must force them to dress nicely. I mean, all of the girls are in nice dresses, and I refuse to believe that Jinho wears khakis on the regular.

Jinho does everything in terms of ease and practicality. He had a special that was literally about how proud he was that everything he needed was within two blocks. This included friends.

He also had easy access to a gym for adequate physical exertion and Starcraft for adequate mental exertion.

I can't imagine he has any idea what clothes actually look good on him.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Then explain Jiwon :colbert:

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Soylentbits posted:

Jinho does everything in terms of ease and practicality. He had a special that was literally about how proud he was that everything he needed was within two blocks. This included friends.

He also had easy access to a gym for adequate physical exertion and Starcraft for adequate mental exertion.

I notice that whenever Jinho is supposed to dress well, he rocks the bowtie.

Which is an odd choice considering he is so short.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CommaToes posted:

Jinho's perception of formal dress is probably entirely from period movies.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Josh Lyman posted:

Jinho's perception of formal dress is probably entirely from period movies.

Or Detective Conan.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CommaToes posted:

He did this in Crime Scene S2 and ended up looking like Detective Conan. I don't remember if that was intentional though, or if the producers set him up.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
do you honestly think a major TV production like The Genius doesn't have a wardrobe and makeup department

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Soylentbits posted:

I choose to believe that years of playing Starcraft resulted in Jinho needing to have the equivalent of an optimized build order in his life. In layman's terms, he needs to have everything available to him in as little time as possible.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

do you honestly think a major TV production like The Genius doesn't have a wardrobe and makeup department

i think one of the BTS actually referred to yohwan's gf hanging out in the wardrobe department. i'm 100% sure at least it's been mentioned in the show

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Then explain Jiwon :colbert:

That stupid hat has been permanently welded onto his skull.

NowonSA posted:

I choose to believe that years of playing Starcraft resulted in Jinho needing to have the equivalent of an optimized build order in his life. In layman's terms, he needs to have everything available to him in as little time as possible.

......I can't believe how accurate this seems.

I also love the name of that tv special.

I Live Alone

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Finished season 1, studiously avoiding spoilers. The thread title's promise was fufilled. This is indeed the best game show.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
They most likely have coordinators, people who tell them exactly what to wear.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
"hey, jiwon, just dress like a d-bag. it'll work out."

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Well, I felt like watching TV, for once. Decided to check TV IV to see if anything catches my interest.

Turns out Korea made Liar Game but for real, and it's the best thing of all time.

This is everything I've always dreamed about a reality show being since I first laid eyes on Big Brother. Honestly, why didn't reality TV go in this direction here? It's better drama, better gameplay, just so much more entertaining. It does such an excellent job of hiding things so they can be revealed later on, yet giving you enough clues to where it feels like there are genuine mysteries that you can catch on to.

Best show. 10/10

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's intelligent, so it's never happening in the States.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

It's intelligent, so it's never happening in the States.

Imagine a hardcore version that has the same kind of games but playing in a Big Brother style environment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Finished the first episode of season 2, and it was amazing start. The upset was great, and the Congressman sitting around dazed for the whole game and still winning was the best part.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

GaussianCopula posted:

Imagine a hardcore version that has the same kind of games but playing in a Big Brother style environment.
I think if they did this show in the US they'd have to pitch it less as a reality show and more like a game show. A bunch of smart people in suits and gowns doing brainteaser games, get Mark Burnett behind it and have him roll it out to a lot of noise like he did with 500 Questions. With the right media hype it could be billed as a great new concept and get a lot of attention, plus it could drum up a bunch of critical clout ahead of its premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Fast Luck posted:

I think if they did this show in the US they'd have to pitch it less as a reality show and more like a game show. A bunch of smart people in suits and gowns doing brainteaser games, get Mark Burnett behind it and have him roll it out to a lot of noise like he did with 500 Questions. With the right media hype it could be billed as a great new concept and get a lot of attention, plus it could drum up a bunch of critical clout ahead of its premiere.

The format is not "fast" enough for the typical US timeslot. You only have ~40min for Main Game and Death Match.