Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you chop them up then they don't look like meatfish when you put them in the circulator though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBfr7X4w3hM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I've got a question: I have a massive chunk of pork that's been sitting in my freezer for months, since before I got my sous vide. If I wanted to cook this bad boy, how do I estimate out the temperature? Not only is it frozen solid, but it's also a big roast, and so it's going to take a while for the heat to penetrate. How do I adjust my cooking time from the sous vide chart?

Or is something like this basically impossible to get an exact bearing on, and needs the nuclear option? Should I just set my Anova somewhere in the 65~70 range and leave it on for a full day?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Defrost it in your refrigerator first. Then cook to final temperature for pasteurization time.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

using http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1

If it's super super thick you may want to butterfly.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

using http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1

If it's super super thick you may want to butterfly.

Thanks for linking that for him him- I don't know how I forgot to add that link even after editing. I guess somedays I just subconsciously want to sound like an rear end.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
New cambro, bros

maybe this image will help some people decide on a cambro

I will absolutely still be using the smaller one that I bought originally but... I have been running into capacity issues. I don't remember what item it was the other day... Think it was 2x pork tenderloins. It must've taken me at least 20 minutes to position em so they were not touching the cooker, not blocking an inlet, not above the water level, water level below max line...and NOT crammed up against a wall without any circulation behind em... :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I prefer using these Cambros. The lids are much easier to cut too.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Weird... Those never turned up in my Amadong searches.

The material that mine are made of (polycarbonate(?)) feels a bit "brittle," I mean, it's very strong and whatever, never any actual signs of cracking or failure but... One counter-height drop and it'd probably be kaput.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

love this sauce, definitely overpaid for it on Amazon. Luckily it arrived intact, hadn't been burst open by OnTrac.

Have never tried it on pork... but... have had these two tenderloins bathed in it for the last 24h

This new cambro... Uhh... I'm gonna probably need to SV some other stuff.. At least dump my water on the lawn or something, not let it all go to waste...

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

That's the kind I have. It's clear with red markings on it instead of translucent with blue, but it's the same shape and size. Lid is soft plastic, not the same plastic as the container. The size is just right for regular use in my house, although the ink on the outside gets a little soft on higher-temp baths. I got it at my local open-to-the-public restaurant supply store and they had some in among the kind that drukqs got.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That bone suckin sauce is getting wider distribution -- you might want to check your high end / specialty foods stores to see if they have it in stock. I see it at a bunch of them here and I think even whole foods.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

sellouts posted:

That bone suckin sauce is getting wider distribution -- you might want to check your high end / specialty foods stores to see if they have it in stock. I see it at a bunch of them here and I think even whole foods.

Yeah I remember it at this higher-end bay area/peninsula market Draegers like 10+ years ago... Then it just sort of vanished...

Was not the right choice for "borderline rare" pork, will probably be a lot better on SV chicken

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

drukqs posted:

This new cambro... Uhh... I'm gonna probably need to SV some other stuff.. At least dump my water on the lawn or something, not let it all go to waste...

Water doesn't go bad (unless you have a bag leak). I usually get a couple weeks out of a cambro before I feel the need to dump it. A tiny bit of vinegar in the water helps the cambro and sizzler stay clean of mineral deposits, too (vinegar is how you're supposed to clean them; I don't know what prolonged exposure will do but I've not had a problem yet).

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Water doesn't go bad (unless you have a bag leak). I usually get a couple weeks out of a cambro before I feel the need to dump it. A tiny bit of vinegar in the water helps the cambro and sizzler stay clean of mineral deposits, too (vinegar is how you're supposed to clean them; I don't know what prolonged exposure will do but I've not had a problem yet).

Ahhh... Thank you for that. I have been meaning to ask about how to maintain the heating element.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cross posting from the photo thread but 30 hour at 130F Silverside/Eye of round(?)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The even doneness is magical.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jose posted:

Cross posting from the photo thread but 30 hour at 130F Silverside/Eye of round(?)

That's loving amazing. A pyramid of pinkness.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I made one of the chicken salad recipes from the Anova app yesterday. First time I've ever had Sous Vide chicken...blown away at how good chicken breast taste with just salt pepper and olive oil.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Jose posted:

do you use a vac sealer or ziplocs? do you agree with the sentiment that ziplocs should be avoided for multi-day cooking?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

drukqs posted:

do you use a vac sealer or ziplocs? do you agree with the sentiment that ziplocs should be avoided for multi-day cooking?

I double bagged using ziplocs or at least the supermarket generic. I single bagged it the first time I did this but decided not to risk it after that

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Sous vide poached eggs are pretty much perfect. I did mine at 75C for 13 minutes. Anyone else poached eggs?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Sous vide poached eggs are pretty much perfect. I did mine at 75C for 13 minutes. Anyone else poached eggs?

I think everyone does this. I do it whenever I get a new circulator. It's the simplest way to take it for a test drive.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think everyone does this. I do it whenever I get a new circulator. It's the simplest way to take it for a test drive.

I tried it once at 145F, but the white was really loose. I prefer an over easy fried egg, so the yolk was pretty good, but I still have to tinker with it.

It was fun watching the eggs rotate in the crock pot though.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

DiomedesGodshill posted:

With this method, is the egg ready after the 13 minutes with the white decently set?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pretty much, quick dip in ice water to make it easier to crack.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
What's a good big steak that's reasonably priced that really works well in this? I end up getting whatever looks good, but I have trouble understanding the 1000s of different cuts and types of meat available and I end up just asking the butcher what's good.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

LorneReams posted:

What's a good big steak that's reasonably priced that really works well in this? I end up getting whatever looks good, but I have trouble understanding the 1000s of different cuts and types of meat available and I end up just asking the butcher what's good.

Hangar and Flatiron are the two cuts that are usually my goto for SVing steaks. You'll generally find them for around $7-8lb at the more upscale grocery stores.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
So I threw some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in with the SV and now the fluids in the bag turned to a milky white color... Is that normal? It looks kinda gross. Obviously I've never cooked chicken sous vide before...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

canoshiz posted:

So I threw some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in with the SV and now the fluids in the bag turned to a milky white color... Is that normal? It looks kinda gross. Obviously I've never cooked chicken sous vide before...

It's normal, just wipe it off before searing the chicken

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

canoshiz posted:

Unless there's a marinade or sauce in the bag, I haven't yet run across any kind of meat where the bag juice doesn't get kinda gross after SVing. It's normal, just wipe it off like Steve Yun said.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Jose posted:

I double bagged using ziplocs or at least the supermarket generic. I single bagged it the first time I did this but decided not to risk it after that

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Just set this up! 29h41m to go.

http://www.bunkycooks.com/2012/01/30-hour-sous-vide-eye-of-round-roast/

added a small amount of vinegar to the water and.. I've laid a trivet and a towel over the top... not going to help water loss but... at least maybe it'll keep some of the heat in?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Anyone got a source for the " acid makes pasteurization take twice as long?" It seems to run directly counter to everything I do with fermented charcuterie where acid means safe.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I'm puddling a bone in ribeye tonight. Gonna throw it on my new grills searing burner after its ready to finish up. Pic's incoming.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Dude that has fresh herbs in bag, after 30 hours every spot they touched will taste like nothing but herbs.

Dude that asked about acids wrt pasteurization, it was linked either on this page or the last. Also, fermentation is nothing like SV cooking.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Dude that has fresh herbs in bag, after 30 hours every spot they touched will taste like nothing but herbs.

:eek:

hopefully it won't be too nasty.

as long as you're doling out advice... This dude on another board thinks he may have been poisoned, or, at least, he has an "upset stomach" after SV'ing some Flat Iron Steak...

quote:

:downs:"flat iron steak 146 for 2.5 hours@146F started off a bit frozen. just added salt, pepper, montreal steak seasoning. did not sear."

146 sounds awfully high, the fact that it started off partially frozen... IDK.. I'd like to help him out but I've really only done ribeyes, pork chops and pork tenderloin. Have also done frozen chicken tenders (going in frozen) but 2.5 hours shoulda done it...

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
From frozen, at 146, it should be fully thawed in like 10 minutes, unless it's inordinately thick. And I've never seen a thick flat iron. It's usually so drat broad that it can't be more than 3/4" thick. He either had meat that was already tainted, a bag that was tainted, an easily upset stomach, or it's all in his head.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
First Sous Vide steak I was impressed with.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jarmak posted:

Anyone got a source for the " acid makes pasteurization take twice as long?" It seems to run directly counter to everything I do with fermented charcuterie where acid means safe.
Pretty much any food science text will cover it, but here's an article on PubMed if you're actually skeptical.

The behaviour is due to a mechanism called acid tolerance response (the search term you want if you're looking for one) or ATR in bacteria. The simple version is that any time a bacteria is exposed to an environmental shock it'll respond by trying to produce proteins that will enhance its survivability. If the shock is large enough (like if you're dumping the typical foodborne pathogen into distilled vinegar) it'll just kill the bacteria outright. But in something like a marinade you're typically not lowering the pH throughout the dish enough to kill all the bacteria. The surviving bacteria produce ATR proteins, and as a result are more resistant to other environmental stresses (like heat).

On the other hand when you ferment something, you usually start out by making sure conditions favour proliferation of the fermentation bacteria---making the environment artificially saline, adding a culture of fermentation bacteria, or using something with a high natural prevalence of the bacteria you want (like cabbage). So initially you're just relying on the good bacteria to outcompete the bad bacteria. Once they get going they're eating sugar and making GBS threads acid---that's what makes them fermentation bacteria. Initially the pH isn't low enough to retard bacterial growth, but that's okay because all the bacteria are your guys. Eventually the acidity will retard and stop the activity of the fermentation bacteria, but then you're reasonably confident that the pH is low enough to prevent other bad poo poo from getting a foothold---because you know that the pH is low enough to gently caress up your fermentation bacteria.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

drukqs posted:

:eek:

hopefully it won't be too nasty.

as long as you're doling out advice... This dude on another board thinks he may have been poisoned, or, at least, he has an "upset stomach" after SV'ing some Flat Iron Steak...

146 sounds awfully high, the fact that it started off partially frozen... IDK.. I'd like to help him out but I've really only done ribeyes, pork chops and pork tenderloin. Have also done frozen chicken tenders (going in frozen) but 2.5 hours shoulda done it...
He may have salt bombed himself, without searing, he probably didn't dry the steak and had salt + salt seasoning smothering the steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think my Anova broke. I put some chicken breast in when it was at 120 and about an hour later I noticed that it was down to 110 (set to 150) it worked fine a week ago :( Are my two chicken breast basically bacteria factories now or can I still save them in the oven until I figure out what's up with the Anova? Put them in the fridge in the bags as soon as I noticed, ran the Anova for another hour or so and it was down to about 103 by the time I gave up.