Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Happy Blue Cow posted:

hi I like final fantasy, whats your favorite final fantasy? :)

VII for the story, X-2 for the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FFX would be my favorite FF of all time if it added a loving Skip Cutscene option in its billion ports and remakes. I watched the opening way too much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFX has had precisely one port or remake.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sassassin posted:

Dragon quest is grindy garbage and I have no idea how that series maintained any sort of popularity.

because they're loving great

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I wish FFX had a button that let me skip the part between zanarkand and besaid

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
How to tell someone has never played a Dragon Quest game:

They say it's grindy. (Unless, of course, the only game in the series they played was 1)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I probably would have liked FFX more when it came out if it had the expert sphere grid. gently caress the regular one. the addition of the abilities that get you the right kind of spheres was also useful.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
you only ever need ability spheres and that's for like two areas where they're sparse

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fronz posted:

you only ever need ability spheres and that's for like two areas where they're sparse

as someone who ran out of ability spheres right around Macalania back in 2002 and didn't know what to grind to get them, the ability to just get them whenever from any battle was incredibly satisfying.

As was the realisation that Kimahri is useless and there was no point wasting spheres on him anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think every single time I got to Mushroom road, I always lacked ability spheres to unlock Lulu's tier 2 spells.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I like Kimarhi as a thief. You want to be stealing from most of the enemies anyway

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pureauthor posted:

How to tell someone has never played a Dragon Quest game:

They say it's grindy. (Unless, of course, the only game in the series they played was 1)

I only played 8 and it was tedious repetitive poo poo. Every area was stuffed full of meaningless battles intended only to give you enough xp to level up and beat the boss.

Garbage game design with DBZ art.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

morallyobjected posted:

as someone who ran out of ability spheres right around Macalania back in 2002 and didn't know what to grind to get them, the ability to just get them whenever from any battle was incredibly satisfying.

As was the realisation that Kimahri is useless and there was no point wasting spheres on him anyway.

I have replayed X more than any other FF game by far and I find this ability sphere scenario highly unusual unless you happened to flee from most battles that dropped ability spheres. Even that possibility strikes me as odd because it would almost have to be done on purpose. How did this happen to you?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I have replayed X more than any other FF game by far and I find this ability sphere scenario highly unusual unless you happened to flee from most battles that dropped ability spheres. Even that possibility strikes me as odd because it would almost have to be done on purpose. How did this happen to you?

no idea, but the fleeing thing is probable. there are so many battles on the Highroad and in Macalania that it wouldn't surprise me if a much younger me had run away from most of them--especially since I didn't like the Sphere Grid that much anyway.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
DBZ art rules but I could never get into any DQ games because they mostly feel like NES games in design even when they're not. NES RPGs just aren't very fun and in Dragon Warrior, you need to select a particular option just to open a door or a chest or what have you. In Final Fantasy, you just walk up and click it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

From best to least best, my favorite Final Fantasies are 8, 12, 10-2, 5 and 7.

In Training posted:

Tyvm. How many people who really like FF also like DQ, I wonder. I have been a big FF fan for a long time but only got around to play DQ this past month or so and its been a real treat to play all these cool games.
The only one I've played any great amount of is DQ8, which is one of my favorite PS2 RPG's.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

sassassin posted:

I only played 8 and it was tedious repetitive poo poo. Every area was stuffed full of meaningless battles intended only to give you enough xp to level up and beat the boss.

I'm sorry you don't like JRPGs.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

on standard edition, this was only an issue if you were a turbogrinder early in the game. if you went along with the pace of the plot ability spheres werent an issue and you'd reach endgame and find infinite ability spheres for your grinding needs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Now that I called FF13-2 combat disappointingly easy earlier today, I am in Academia 500AF and getting my rear end kicked by every other encounter roll. Did I miss something fundamental between the 700AF stuff and here? Because even my grinding options are limited to destroying stuff absentmindedly in previous maps for slightly less experience and monster materials I don't seem to especially need, or hoping the encounter roll in Academia is not one of the ones that just destroys me in exchange for slightly better exp and up to date monster materials.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Dubious posted:

on standard edition, this was only an issue if you were a turbogrinder early in the game. if you went along with the pace of the plot ability spheres werent an issue and you'd reach endgame and find infinite ability spheres for your grinding needs.

Right but he mentioned Macalania. That is what struck me as odd. I have run out of ability spheres from early grinding before.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dubious posted:

I frequently ran out at Mushroom Rock because Miihen doesn't give them except for the dual horns, and I never grinded more than just fighting the battles that showed up

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The GIG posted:

I'm sorry you don't like JRPGs.

I don't like the most boring traditionalist parts of JRPGs, no, and that is all DQ is.

The best FF game is X blitzball.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sassassin posted:

Dragon quest is grindy garbage and I have no idea how that series maintained any sort of popularity.

Mostly because it's only grindy if you're bad at the game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I never want to become good at Dragon Quest.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sassassin posted:

I never want to become good at Dragon Quest.

Considering you completely fail to understand game design principles that's OK.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

hi I like final fantasy, whats your favorite final fantasy? :)

FFIX, and then VI + VII, then XIII-2, then the rest

Excels fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 7, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
360 got operation darkness

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

sassassin posted:

Holy Moley.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This JRPG is such bullshit, giving me XP, gold and skills to make my party stronger and build a variety of unique characters in order to tackle the challenging roadblocks along the way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sassassin posted:

I don't like the most boring traditionalist parts of JRPGs, no, and that is all DQ is.
so... you don't like JRPGs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drat, this FPS sucks! it's just a bunch of guns and various arrangements of guys to kill. huh? no, i love FPSes.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
well i remember playing DQ8 as a kid and i thought it was boring as piss, if i played it again as an adult i'd probably last longer than the first town.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

well i remember playing DQ8 as a kid and i thought it was boring as piss, if i played it again as an adult i'd probably last longer than the first town.
dude the first town lasts like ten minutes

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Piss is absolutely not boring.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

360 got operation darkness

I wish more games managed as much character as Operation Darkness. The game is a mess, but it's just so charming in a really low budget way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fronz posted:

Piss is absolutely not boring.

It's the most exciting of bodily excrements for sure

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I didn't realise that all jrpgs are dragon quest 8. I must sound quite foolish.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
All these posts about everyone's favorite FF really remind me what my favorite thing about the series is: that they re-imagine themselves in both world and game-play with almost every iteration. I hated FFXIII-2, but its neat that its one of someone's top games. I mean on the downside it does mean that every FF game is greeted by a ton of 'Why isn't it [favorite FF], this series sucks now.' but it keeps everything interesting.

In Training posted:

It's the most exciting of bodily excrements for sure

It's the third, tops.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

sassassin posted:

I didn't realise that all jrpgs are dragon quest 8. I must sound quite foolish.

The last part is true, at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

sassassin posted:

I must sound quite foolish.

Your first time getting it right! We're all so proud.

Yes, you sound like a loving idiot critiquing a series based on a single entry. Dragon Quest is for cool people who like fun, though, so you won't miss anything.