Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

is it so much to ask that in 5 years i will be shitposting from my mill cpu running a plan9-alike written in rust???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
systems research is like dead. that ship sailed in the 90s

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Last Chance posted:

of course, apple can't do enterprise. only top notch quality assured software from microsoft and the cohesive, non-fractured peer-reviewed open source linux are acceptable in the enterprise environment.

linux is not fractured at all in the enterprise. it's all red hat

pram
Jun 10, 2001
not in europe

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

hello gentlemen. while i dont normally evangelize for apple i would like to point out that apple osx 10.10 yosemite has hypervisor.framework, which is potentially a real 'game changer' in the industry. its not an exaggeration to say that osx is now the most advanced virtualization operating system

http://www.pagetable.com/?p=764

https://github.com/mist64/xhyve

cool so they're going to ship a clone of libvirt except it'll be much less developed and much more poo poo

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

not in europe

What is the preferred eurolinux?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
suse lmao

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=143534680829626&w=2

no kdbus pull request for 4.2

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pram posted:

why would someone hire an expert in an advanced UNIX system to manage their hobbyist, non-POSIX compliant clone os? there are many reasons, but all would be far beyond your comprehension

youre a freebsd admin?

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Rahu posted:

this question is irrelevant since it does not apply to the greatest country on earth

posted from fedora, the beta test for the only os that matters

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pram posted:

suse lmao

in one building of my university about ~1/4 of the computers are on suse for reasons i can't determine

especially because the only thing people run on there is matlab and we have tons of windows computers with it too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rahu posted:

we used debian at an old job because i have no idea what im doing and i just picked whatever i had tried using once

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Most places where I live use either debian or centos.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

Most places where I live use either debian or centos.

please don't live with linux users

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so coreos dumped btrfs.. because its a piece of poo poo! when are the kernel maintainers going to stop being retards and include zfs???

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i dont give a gently caress about licenses you goddamn idiots!!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pram posted:

so coreos dumped btrfs.. because its a piece of poo poo! when are the kernel maintainers going to stop being retards and include zfs???

pram posted:

i dont give a gently caress about licenses you goddamn idiots!!

this unironically

LAWYERS AMIRITE????

pram
Jun 10, 2001
has anyone ever used smartos. ive been reading some joyent propaganda and it sounds pretty nice. im not really impressed with the direction rhel and ubuntu are taking with snappy and atomic

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

dumped because coreos programmers are not very good, the btrfs maintainers are fixing things, heaven forbid anyone help them.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrMoo posted:

dumped because coreos programmers are not very good, the btrfs maintainers are fixing things, heaven forbid anyone help them.

please do not link to phoronix

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MrMoo posted:

:qq:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
citrix xendesktop 7.6U2 will support linux vdis, lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i think youre missing a point. btrfs was crap because it needed to be babysat with all the docker snapshots. it was like the biggest complaint

https://coreos.com/docs/cluster-management/debugging/btrfs-troubleshooting/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/9939

everyone bad programmer

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

everyone bad programmer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

has anyone ever used smartos. ive been reading some joyent propaganda and it sounds pretty nice. im not really impressed with the direction rhel and ubuntu are taking with snappy and atomic

it's all right if you can make your poo poo run but it's not Ubuntu or rhel so it's not a priority for most software vendors

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
my Endless just arrived and I've been playing with it for a few minutes

it actually has a very nice unboxing, setup and first-launch experience (unlike virtually every other Linux) and feels very Apple overall

great job, Suspicious Dish!

(thought about taking pics and doing an unboxing thread but I'm lazy)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Thank you! The initial experience there I actually wrote while I was back at Red Hat. It was my first major project there before Wayland, and it's shipped in GNOME. I was shocked to see them actually using it in Endless.

One of the last touches I wanted to do was actually add a nice song to the experience so it doesn't feel like paperwork, but that got canned for silly reasons.

I had a demo of an initial experience song that my brother and I composed: http://funny.computer/cloud/Endless/EST/endless_party_b1.mp3

At some point, when I get the time, I'm going to to finish it and put it into the OS. I already wrote the code!

(there are more variations in that folder, along with some boot jingles)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
that win98 feel

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

I had a demo of an initial experience song that my brother and I composed: http://funny.computer/cloud/Endless/EST/endless_party_b1.mp3

very Apple indeed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

just did the software update from 2.3.0 to 2.3.4, but it didn't show me a list of what's changed or anything. is there one?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

that win98 feel

it was done in six hours, dude

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

that win98 feel

you can do worse than an explicit clone of NEXTSTEP plus some gradients

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

just did the software update from 2.3.0 to 2.3.4, but it didn't show me a list of what's changed or anything. is there one?

not yet. all we currently have are bug counts. 49 bugs were fixed in that time period. we plan to make public release notes soon.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

it was done in six hours, dude

i meant that in a nice way (i love win98)

e: i was referring to the music btw

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Even in terms of music, being compared to Windows 98 is usually not a compliment. But I'm happy you like it. All those years of piano lessons paid off, I guess.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol more like sim city 2000

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im the sick midi bassline

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*phillip glass stroking his chin contemplating the slightly dissonant keyboard* click next.. CLICK NEXT! YES!!! CLICK NEXT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

Even in terms of music, being compared to Windows 98 is usually not a compliment.

nah win98 was one of the good ones