Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Alien Arcana posted:

this is from several pages back but i could not let this stand

bitcoin is clearly the lojban of currencies

xu puku cusku lo'u la batkoin. le'u

its ok i was also thinking of this joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

killhamster posted:

quote:

The way a decentralized reddit works is like this. Each user has an app, the reddit app, which connects to the reddit p2p network. For most users, the app is a normal web app. Each user funds their own app with a small amount of bitcoin. In order to download content, the user pays a very, very small amount of bitcoin to the peers on the network. This incentivizes people to keep the app open so as to keep servicing the other users. Furthermore, when a user upvotes content, that sends a small amount of bitcoin to the author of that content, thus incentivizing the production of good content. If all the content is authenticated, we can be reasonably sure most payments are going to the right people.
and yeah of course it's javascript
so it's like web browsers, but with reddit, but with bitcoin, but with javascript. and you say he has a full-time job?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

this is a pro-read, gonna share it with some computers people i know and hope they get the message

eschaton posted:

cool, pro read indeed

thanks, i didn't get a lot of feedback on it and this sort of thing is nice to hear

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Each user funds their own app with a small amount of bitcoin. In order to download content, the user pays a very, very small amount of bitcoin to the peers on the network.

Has anybody told the butters that, with the current 30 cent fee for prompt-verification, butts are no longer a competitive micro-transaction platform?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

thanks, i didn't get a lot of feedback on it and this sort of thing is nice to hear

i also thought it was great and then completely neglected to say anything about it, so here goes

it was great, thanks for being awesome as usual

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

trucutru posted:

Has anybody told the butters that, with the current 30 cent fee for prompt-verification, butts are no longer a competitive micro-transaction platform?

Nobody ever said that bitcoin was good for micropayments, you damned toll troll shill!!!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3cdwd5

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

killhamster posted:

Like, they get that the average piece of content gets like 4 upvotes, right?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

rjmccall posted:

i also thought it was great and then completely neglected to say anything about it, so here goes

same

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

Nobody ever said that bitcoin was good for micropayments, you damned toll troll shill!!!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3cdwd5

has anyone said sabotachi yet?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

theflyingorc posted:

they don't care, all that matters is decentralized and bitcoin, useful functionality is secondary

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

they don't care, all that matters is decentralized and bitcoin, useful functionality is secondary

i'm not sure. i think a lot of them are enticed by "i will make popular web content and get upvoted and make SO MUCH MONEY!" not realizing that nearly all massively upvoted content comes from established content creators.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

not once you're paying for them they dont

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

isn't "decentralised reddit" just code for "wah wah r/jailbait got shut down"?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

not once you're paying for them they dont

that's an excellent point

the other thing about the "tipping economy" - tipping isn't meaningful until the money is taken OUT of the tipping economy and used to buy things, in effect this is a lot of effort to make sure that every video PewDiePie posts, we indirectly buy him a jetski

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

with the current backlog time, it's faster to drive your money from one side of the country to another than it is to send a bitcoin

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

with the current backlog time, it's faster to drive your money from one side of the country to another than it is to send a bitcoin
hmm no, that idea's too centralized. what if, we get a network of relay runners, and

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

think of all the gas you could get along the way and pay for with bitcoin, i mean that would just be good for bitcoin

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

But how about remittances?

anthonypants posted:

hmm no, that idea's too centralized. what if, we get a network of relay runners, and

in the early days of butts this was actually suggested by an ideas man. A blind dead-drop relay runner service. Since you didn't know what you were carrying (it is drugs) you had plausible deniability, as I learned from some law books I found in a trash bin.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 7, 2015

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
you guys should stop reading reddit and switch to voat. /v/bitcoin is where the most relevant discussion about bitcoin is happening nowadays:

quote:

This is no test. Bitcoin is under attack. Someone is intentionally slowing down the network to a halt. (plus.google.com)
submitted 9 hours ago by anirgu

[–] VanDeam 6 points (+6|-0) 8 hours ago
This is actually good for Bitcoin

[–] pray_the_gay_away 3 points (+3|-0) 7 hours ago (last edited 7 hours ago)
Further evidence that we are soon facing a global credit market collapse...

quote:

The Most Bitcoin Transactions in History Today - July 6, 2015 (blockchain.info)
submitted 11 hours ago by trwnbc

[–] RainBTC 0 points (+0|-0) 2 hours ago
All the spam really did was increase the inherent value of the network by charging more to ride the ride.

quote:

Governments Are Buying and Using Bitcoin Account-Hacking Services (cointelegraph.com)
submitted 2 hours ago by evander

[–] PardiGras 4 points (+4|-0) 2 hours ago
Of course. It's the single biggest threat to their monopoly on power. Any time there is even a hint of an economic revolution in favor of the many, they squash it immediately. Malcom X and King were both allowed to speak out against racism for years, but as soon as they realized that the real struggle was an economic one, and that poor whites and blacks had more in common than anything, and that they needed to band together against the wealthy, they were both shot.

Just like SJW's and hardcore right-wingers are perfectly free spout racist vitriol all day. It serves to keep the lower classes divided rather than uniting against their real oppressors. If you were financially independent, would you care if someone called you a redneck, or a human being, or friend of the family? If you could laugh all the way to the bank, you wouldn't care at all if someone said 'kill all white people' or 'all blacks are criminals.'

There is a 'they,' but its not the shadowy Illuminati the conspiracy theorists think of. It's just thousands of wealthy powerful people motivated by self-interest and working with each other despite their superficial differences. The problem is that the results of this are no different than if there really were some grand conspiracy.

The working classes will continue to slave away for menial wages while they bicker about things that don't matter at all, while the wealthy are content to let them do it because it allows them to make whatever rules suit them. Bitcoin and all cryptocurrencies are a threat to that because they're a great equalizer.

[–] RainBTC 1 points (+1|-0) 2 hours ago (last edited 2 hours ago)
Obama's anti-hacking edicts made these types of things illegal. Moral of the story: Terrorists, Governments, and Criminals don't obey laws and pay no attention to them. Remember that next time some politician is selling you protection by taking your freedoms.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

still doesn't address why you need to use bitcoin as opposed to, say, anything else

also what's the current status of the backlog

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

trucutru posted:

But how about remittances?

bitcoin is still better for remmitances:

quote:

[–]bearjewpacabra 5 points 15 hours ago
Try to 'Western Union' me a penny.

[–]thesleepthief 2 points 16 hours ago
Why don't you try sending the dollar equivalent of 10 bits with WU and see where that fee lands? Report back if you get below 5 cents (~200 bits, if I'm not mistaken?).

MGN001
May 12, 2012

univbee posted:

think of all the gas you could get along the way and pay for with bitcoin, i mean that would just be good for bitcoin

Speaking of that, what happened to that "we'll live on bitcoin for the first year of.our married life" couple?

trucutru posted:

in the early days of butts this was actually suggested by an ideas man. A blind dead-drop relay runner service. Since you didn't know what you were carrying (it is drugs) you had plausible deniability, as I learned from some law books I found in a trash bin.

Wasn't there also the suggestion of sending mail by putting it in your neighbor's mailbox, and he'll put it in his neighbor's mailbox, and then

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
JStolfi on the fork:

quote:

[–]jstolfi 12 points 16 hours ago*

The core devs tried to activate BIP66 through a very soft fork, so that clients would not even know that it was happening (otherwise they might get alarmed at the word "fork"). So they just let the new rule to be silently activated as soon as 95% of the miners signaled that they had upgraded to the new version of the software (v3). To make the transaction as smooth as possible, they allowed the players (clients, relay nodes, and miners) running both v2 and v3 to talk to each other even after the transition.

But that plan backfired because some v3 miners got a block B from one of the few remaining v2 miners and started to mine on top of it, not realizing that B was invalid under the v3 rules. For a while, that was the longer branch. That branch was perfectly valid for clients still running v2, and was assumed to be valid by some v3 wallet apps that did not do full checking of the blockchain. Meanwhile, other v3 miners, realizing that B was invalid, ignored that branch and started growing (more slowly) their own branch. The 'bad' branch was already 6 blocks long when the core devs (who fortunately were watching the blockchain at the time) managed to warn those miners that they were mining an invalid branch. Those 6 blocks were then discarded, and the 'good' branch soon overtook it. Fortunately there were no double-spends, and all transactions that were confirmed in the 'bad' branch were eventually confirmed in the 'good' branch too.

The same problem occurred again a few hours later, and this time the 'bad' branch only got to 3 blocks before being abandoned. It is not known whether there were double spends this time.

To guard against possible repeats of the incident, possibly with double-spends, the devs had to issue a warning to all clients (even v3 ones, depending on the software they are using) to wait 30 confirmations (5 hours) for safety.

Thus, what was supposed to be a "stealth" fork became a major PR disaster.

IMHO, the devs blotched the fork. They should have programmed a delay of (say) 2 weeks between the "95% majority" event and the enabling of the BIP66 rules. Then they could have sent a waring to all v2 players, especially the remaining v2 miners and relay nodes, that they should upgrade before BIP66 went into effect. But that would have been bad PR... ha ha.

[–]Prom3th3an 2 points 15 hours ago

Would that even have stopped the false advertising of v3 compliance?

[–]jstolfi 5 points 15 hours ago

I don't see that as quite "false advertising".

One thing is the 'consensus rules' that say when a block is valid. Another thing is the algorithm that miners use when building the blocks that they try to mine. The 'v3' label refers to the former only. By stamping 'v3' on their mined blocks, they only indicated that they agreed to the version of the 'consensus rules' that enforces BIP66 after the triger event.

The software that those miners were running would indeed have checked the BIP66 rule, if it got a chance to do so. But the software only checked the transactions to be included in the block that they were mining, and not those of the parent block that they got from another miner.

The v3 'consensus rules' say that a block is valid after the trigger event only if the transactions satisfy BIP66 (among other conditions) and the parent block is valid. But the v3 rules don't say that miners have to fully check that the blocks that they issue are valid. It would be better for bitcoin if they did, but miners have the 'right' to create their blocks any way they want, even post blocks full of random bits.

The miners should want to post valid blocks rather than invalid ones, because invalid blocks don't pay anything; but they must win the race against other miners to earn anything. They figured out that they would earn more by gambling that the previous block was valid, and mining on top of its hash only, than by downloading it and verifying it first. If the previous block was v3-valid, their block would be v3-valid too. If the previous block turned out tobe invalid, well, bad luck.

The Bitcoin Core release that includes v3 does verify the parent block before mining on top of it; but miners are not required to run BitcoinCore, and the v3 'consensus rules' do not require anyone to run a particular version of the software.

quote:

[–]jstolfi 12 points 16 hours ago*

An interesting detail is how the big pools steal the hash of the most recent block from other pools, even before it gets out to the relay nodes. That is why they couldnot even check its version stamp.

[–]DoctorDbx51% sandwiches 5 points 7 hours ago

Just so I am clear, as I have been out of the scene for a while, but are you saying these bigger pools monitor the feed of other pools, and steals their mined blocks before the confirmation of block success can propagate?

[–]jstolfi 3 points 3 hours ago

Yes, that is what I have been told. And it makes sense. All they have to do is subscribe anonymously as members of the other pools, and they will get that information as soon as the pool manager receives a mined header from some other member. The pool's interest is to make sure that the block just mined is valid, and to put all its members to mine on top of it as soon as possible, while it its still sending it out to the relay nodes.

[–]DoctorDbx51% sandwiches 2 points 3 hours ago

hahah poo poo... I wonder which pools are doing this?

All the big ones I imagine... and to each other too I bet.

[–]jstolfi 6 points 9 hours ago

To be precise, a miner gets bitcoins for being the first to mine the next valid block. They are not required to verify anything (and it is not possible to check whether they are indeed verifying anything.) They only verify enough to maximize their expected gain.

In particular, when they steal the hash of a recently mined block from some other pool, they are quite confident that it will be a valid block. So they don't bother to check it, and that gives them a few precious seconds of advantage in the block race.

Usually that is a safe assumption; it failed in this case because of the switch-on of BIP66 and the "victim" of the theft rbeiong out of date.
/
:smugdog:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Magrov posted:

bitcoin is still better for remmitances:
hey bitcoiners: i just dropped a penny in the take-a-penny/leave-a-penny dish at your local gas station convenience store, just for you. go ahead and claim it whenever

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

that explains my question nicely, actually. self-awareness is the antidote for all those nerd pitfalls

along those lines, i wrote this during a conversation in the security fuckup megathread and some people liked it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12xsw81HZnGRpbrrWtVksHi2gbwyVWyeQm0edsZvt_k0/edit?usp=sharing

Want to print this on the carpet at the front door of my place of employment.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Magrov posted:

you guys should stop reading reddit and switch to voat. /v/bitcoin is where the most relevant discussion about bitcoin is happening nowadays:

Voat is to Reddit as 8chan is to 4chan except infinitely more terrible because it's from Reddit

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, it's been a while since we posted some milkcrate mining rigs...

:staredog:

and all that for that sweet 1/6 of the pie.

gently caress the earth!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

very misleading! stop spreading FUD, the backlog is currently only 6-7 hours long!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

trucutru posted:

JStolfi on the fork:

that is a really good summary, but then this is a guy who appears to know his poo poo

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

rjmccall posted:

Midjack posted:

Want to print this on the carpet at the front door of my place of employment.

thanks

i've been wondering if i should try to shop it around as an op-ed for some site but i have no idea where to even start doing that kind of thing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

killhamster posted:

bitcoin: we can be reasonably sure most payments are going to the right people

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Heresiarch posted:

thanks

i've been wondering if i should try to shop it around as an op-ed for some site but i have no idea where to even start doing that kind of thing
you could put it up on medium

comedy option: thought catalog

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

trucutru posted:

So, it's been a while since we posted some milkcrate mining rigs...

:staredog:

and all that for that sweet 1/6 of the pie.

gently caress the earth!

Chinese people doing it to be able to put their money in other currencies is probably the best reason for it to exist at all. stuff like that is obviously intended to just make the owner money but it's provi wait a second, you don't need giant mining farms anywhere let alone in China for Chinese people to use bitcoin. nm

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

anthonypants posted:

you could put it up on medium

i was thinking more along the lines of getting paid for it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

+ 1 bit coin /you/heresiarhc validate

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

have you asked the buttcoin foundation?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Heresiarch posted:

will you accept a bag of amazon gift cards?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
meet me at the walmart parking lot at midnight

NO TACTICAL CLUBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

divabot posted:

Is there a good writeup anywhere of the last few days' forking fuckup, and the revelation that FIFTY loving PERCENT of the hash power DOESN'T loving BOTHER VERIFYING TRANSACTIONS, which is LITERALLY THE JOB THEY GET BITCOINS FOR? I'm looking for an even slightly usable reference for the RationalWiki article. (Our standards are abysmal, but something better than /r/buttcoin would be preferable.)

The Foundation provides!

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/bitcoin-is-broken-but-we-already-knew-that

/u/changetip killhamster 1 butt

divabot fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 7, 2015

• Locked thread