Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

e: oops, never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

The thing that gets me about what is known popularly as the Confederate Flag is that its staunch defenders, the heritagefolk, will trip over their dicks all day long trying to tell you that it is not a Confederate flag. "It wasn't one of the official flags!" they say. "It was just used by one of the armies as a battle flag, that's it, it's not the Confederate flag." Then you say, "Wait.. what wasn't the Confederate flag?" Then they say, "This Confederate flag on my shirt and belt buckle." With a smile. It's a fun thing, watching defenders deny that it's the Confederate flag before and after they refer to it as such. And seeing as how they were the only ones to ever fly it, even if it literally wasn't flown over every government building, it's still, at the very least, a Confederate flag.

When my dad was an OTR truck driver, he told me how you'd be driving and run across these people on the CB. It'd be a grille cover, and people would talk about it. Once, someone chimed in, "Hey, who's that on (some Interstate) in the (some Truck make) with the Union Jack on the front?" Not one second later, an angry redneck replied, "That's a REBEL flag, son! Confederate flag!" and a bunch of cussing. My dad said (or claims to have said), "But I thought the Confederate flag was white?" That got a few of 'em going, and a few of the non-fans of the flag joined in.

My dad: a CB troll. RIP.

I went through a rebel flag phase. What can I say? I'm white (well, mixed, but 3/4ths white and I look white), I was born in North Carolina, and I grew up in southern Illinois in a town with only white people. When I moved to a more diverse area, I quickly found out how other people view the flag, and I put my rebel flag stuff away. I'm sure it's all gone by now.

Here's the real shame of it all: from a strictly aesthetic perspective, that flag would make a great US flag. It has echoes of the Union Jack, which would make sense given who the original 13 colonies belonged to at the time of the revolution. It has a nice 13 star design, in honor of those original states. It's practically purpose-designed to be a bandana, too. It just looks cool. No, it would never do with 50 stars, but not many countries have a flag as busy as ours without government seals, coats of arms, or lettering. (Didn't China call us the Flower Flag nation or something?)

It's too bad the people who came up with a really cool American flag were a bunch of slavery-defending rebels.

Can you imagine the hootenanny it would cause every time the US wins at a sporting event when this starts playing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqhcGL9hbeA

Spectators would be a dancin in the stands.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

Can you imagine the hootenanny it would cause every time the US wins at a sporting event when this starts playing?

... I like it. Those aren't the lyrics I'm more familiar with, but as a musician and once a student of music... it's just a well-written tune. It's sweet and wonderful, like sweet iced tea with a slice of conflict-free lemon. Hell, Abraham Lincoln was a fan of the song.

Thanks, Confederacy, for ruining all the nice stuff.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Sinteres posted:

John Oliver is human garbage for coming out against subtitles.

John Oliver has never been a non-native english speaker trying to understand what the hell Avon Barksdale and them were even saying

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'll have subtitles on literally anything that isn't animated. When you're not a native speaker it becomes really apparent how bad audio mixing is in most media. People are complaining about this stuff in the True Detective thread for instance. If you're used to subtitles you'll never even notice their presence and they arguably allow me to focus more on the movie because otherwise I'd be too preoccupied trying to hear what people are saying.

Subtitles rule.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hakkesshu posted:

I'll have subtitles on literally anything that isn't animated. When you're not a native speaker it becomes really apparent how bad audio mixing is in most media. People are complaining about this stuff in the True Detective thread for instance. If you're used to subtitles you'll never even notice their presence and they arguably allow me to focus more on the movie because otherwise I'd be too preoccupied trying to hear what people are saying.

Subtitles rule.

I'm a non-native english speaker and tried The Wire with german subtitles for shits 'n giggles. You laugh your rear end off at the first "Neger, bitte.", but it goes right back to cringe-inducing awful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh yeah, most translated subs are awful, I primarily use closed captioning

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Also, holy poo poo, i thought I was the only one with trouble understanding True Detective this season. Thank god it's not me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cinematography in TV has almost caught up to all but the most meticulously planned shots in movies and it seems that sound design is following as well.

Short answer is, they don't intend these sound mixes to be listened to from TV speakers or $50 soundbars. They are mixing for 5.1/7.1 (or even higher like the Atmos releases of GOT) and it's likely watching it on anything else is going to produce a subpar result.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That same issue is pervasive in video game design - I have a 22" TV because I valued 1080p over size in my limited budget. And every single goddamn game assumes you're playing on a loving mega-sized projector, because the text is so small I have to squint to read any onscreen text.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I didn't know Al Roker and Lenny Kravitz were cousins.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Narcissus1916 posted:

a 22" TV [...] 1080p

Neger, bitte

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

That same issue is pervasive in video game design - I have a 22" TV because I valued 1080p over size in my limited budget. And every single goddamn game assumes you're playing on a loving mega-sized projector, because the text is so small I have to squint to read any onscreen text.

Seems you've bought a computer monitor and you should probably not place it more than a meter in front of your face

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
To be fair to Taser girl, the City of Glendale is pulling some bullshit on the team.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That was loving great. I love the sports segments he does because he gets so loving fired up about it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That was loving great. I love the sports segments he does because he gets so loving fired up about it.

His FIFA segments are still my favorite segments in the show

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Kinda surprised he didn't make the connection between Wisconsin spending 250 million for the Buck's stadium while simultaneously cutting about that much from the State's university system.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I kind of expected the joke following the Great Wall story would be "of course he knew about the Bucks, he probably personally stitched 10,000 of those loving shirts and your weak mascot now haunts his dreams every night. That man truly 'fears the deer.'"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

So I'm remembering singing an alternate version that went "run away! run away! run away! dixie lads!" back in Boy Scouts in North Carolina. Retrospectively, I'm sure we infuriated someone.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Whoopi Goldberg doesn't believe the loving moon landing was real.

And I guess it's because she never looked up really basic info like who worked the camera?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

And I guess it's because she never looked up really basic info like who worked the camera?

I didn't know and it just took me less than 30 seconds to find. (There was a pop-out camera attached to the side of the landing craft which was used to film Neil Armstrong's first step onto the lunar surface.)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

His FIFA segments are still my favorite segments in the show

Agreed, they're perfect.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ultramiraculous posted:

So I'm remembering singing an alternate version that went "run away! run away! run away! dixie lads!" back in Boy Scouts in North Carolina. Retrospectively, I'm sure we infuriated someone.

Strange, that are the lyrics I remember too, and I'm not from the US.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
At first I wished Oliver used his show to explain the origins of the Greek financial crisis, but Oliver sold me on making sports stadiums the main story.

I'm personally not invested in sports all too much, so maybe you might want to ask someone else, but when the Nets left New Jersey, people here eventually didn't care and moved on with their lives.

I have a feeling that the Whoopi Goldberg montage was just the tip of the iceberg. Whoopi had that one great story about the first time she saw Uhura on Star Trek; and never said anything agreeable since.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Echo Chamber posted:

At first I wished Oliver used his show to explain the origins of the Greek financial crisis, but Oliver sold me on making sports stadiums the main story.

I'm personally not invested in sports all too much, so maybe you might want to ask someone else, but when the Nets left New Jersey, people here eventually didn't care and moved on with their lives.

I have a feeling that the Whoopi Goldberg montage was just the tip of the iceberg. Whoopi had that one great story about the first time she saw Uhura on Star Trek; and never said anything agreeable since.

The Nets went to Brooklyn, so all the local fans are essentially there already. What is devastating to a town is when they actually relocate, like the Browns going to Baltimore, Seattle to OKC etc. The Nets was basically just a name change, it was still the same team.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The trouble with any sports thing is that it's all very tribal and every team essentially has a little monopoly - people don't want to watch any team, they want to watch THEIR team (even though any team is basically just a collection of interchangeable players that happen to wear the same outfit for a season). So despite there being tons of sports available at any time, threats to move a franchise elsewhere carry way more weight than they should because to the people that care, that one team is 100% of sports. If the Yankees left New York it's not like their fans would be happy to just switch over to watching the Mets.

Or rather, they probably would be if they were forced to but they THINK they won't be and that's where all the power is. Sports fandom is all about convincing yourself that your team of choice is somehow intrinsically better or more important than any other team, but the specific one you pick doesn't actually matter, just that the choice is made. The owners know that and know that they can get away with basically whatever they want by pressing on their fans to demand concessions from the municipality to support their team, because "supporting your team" is how fans feel like they're contributing to their teams success.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

MAKE THEM PAY MAKE THEM PAY MAKE THEM PAY MAKE THEM PAY

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Really disappointed that John didn't spend more time on the Everbank pools and cabanas. I actually watched one of the first Jaguars home games after they were in and the camera man kept focusing on a hot girl in a white bikini with quite the camel toe pressed against the glass. My friends and good laugh at the pervy camera man, though in his defense otherwise he'd be forced to focus on the Jaguars "playing".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

Really disappointed that John didn't spend more time on the Everbank pools and cabanas. I actually watched one of the first Jaguars home games after they were in and the camera man kept focusing on a hot girl in a white bikini with quite the camel toe pressed against the glass. My friends and good laugh at the pervy camera man, though in his defense otherwise he'd be forced to focus on the Jaguars "playing".

Does much time really need to be spent shaming the cursed denizens of Jackshitville? They all know the overwhelmingly crushing shame and despair of living there already, on top of living in Florida, which is already worse than anything but living in New Jersey.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Didn't that awful movie Theodore Rex take place on the moon? After that I'm surprised she still accepts that the moon exists.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

swickles posted:

The Nets went to Brooklyn, so all the local fans are essentially there already. What is devastating to a town is when they actually relocate, like the Browns going to Baltimore, Seattle to OKC etc. The Nets was basically just a name change, it was still the same team.

It all ends up as one big game theory bullshit because the incentives are HUGE to relocate. The league itself gets a cut for a team to be bought out IE if the Coyotes went to Seattle they would have to basically up front pay a billion dollars for the team which a solid 30% of it goes to the loving league itself, so the league is also trying to get you to move. The city is throwing out incentives, and depending on the players leagues they want to go too. For example no payroll tax in Seattle. Basically what i'm saying is sorry passionate Yotes fan girl who is the only fan of the coyotes, they're probably going to be in Seattle soon.

ALSO gently caress EVERYONE WHO GOES I DONT GET SPORTS WATCH 30 FOR 30 AND PICK A TEAM TO LOVE IN ANY SPORT.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm just happy the Bills stayed in Buffalo. gently caress Bon Jovi after he tried to relocate them to Canada.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nobody gives a gently caress about the Coyotes anymore, since they killed the fanbase by moving the team to Glendale. Glendale is the US version of Potemkin villages. Outside of Cardinals games and Coyotes games, and concerts/expos, there's nothing to do out there.

Holding hockey games 45 minutes to an hour away from the main cities of the metropolitan Phoenix population centers was a terrible idea to begin with. When they were in downtown Phoenix, they did decent numbers.

Hell, in hindsight, putting an NHL team in ARIZONA was a terrible idea to begin with. The hockey fans that do exist here have no loyalty to the Coyotes, because they all grew up elsewhere with different teams. Don't listen to hysterical lady Coyotes fan. The only time the Coyotes sell out that arena is when Original Six or California teams are playing. I went to a Coyotes/Wings playoff game a few years ago, and 60% of the place was wearing Detroit jerseys. Myself included. The Coyotes overall home attendance numbers are atrocious.

In the 2011-2012 season, they won their first division title ever, and made it all the way to the conference finals. They had a good team that was fun to watch. Their attendance numbers that year? Dead last in the league. You could fit every single diehard Coyotes fan in this state into a bingo hall.

Glendale was absolutely right in refusing to continue their financial support for an NHL money pit.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 14, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The funny thing about the Coyotes is that NOBODY is making money on that team. Barely even the players. In fact some of their "players" are on the team making 500k a year not to play on their team but instead be injured and add cap hit so they meet the floor (cap is calculated by average wage over the contract). loving sports so much of it is politics except at the end of the day someone actually wins.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The government spends a ludicrous amount of money on sports, and so do colleges. I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that investment into sports will pay off in any real way. The only real reason to invest in sports is to show off how irresponsibly you want to spend money. These are enormous industries that make obscene amounts of money already. They're big boys, they don't need government subsidies to get by. What they're doing is just extorting the government.

Of course, people tend to care a lot about sports for reasons I don't fully understand, and to some people, they are well worth the price of having to flush oodles of money down the toilet or inflicting long term brain damage on individuals, and it would be political suicide to take a stand against sports. Reminds me a little of how Julius Caesar practically bankrupted himself spending money on games for the public to get elected.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

People take games way too drat seriously.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

The government spends a ludicrous amount of money on sports, and so do colleges. I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that investment into sports will pay off in any real way. The only real reason to invest in sports is to show off how irresponsibly you want to spend money. These are enormous industries that make obscene amounts of money already. They're big boys, they don't need government subsidies to get by. What they're doing is just extorting the government.

Of course, people tend to care a lot about sports for reasons I don't fully understand, and to some people, they are well worth the price of having to flush oodles of money down the toilet or inflicting long term brain damage on individuals, and it would be political suicide to take a stand against sports. Reminds me a little of how Julius Caesar practically bankrupted himself spending money on games for the public to get elected.

How many episodes of 30 for 30 have you seen?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

People take games way too drat seriously.

THIRTY, FOR, THIRTY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that investment into sports will pay off in any real way. The only real reason to invest in sports is to show off how irresponsibly you want to spend money.

In the city I live, we pride ourselves on being "the sports capital of the world". Whether that is true or not, I think the cities investment in sport (and it goes for the rest of the country as well) has definitely paid off. We are passionate, it's part of our cultural fabric and the country is better off as a result.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xcore posted:

In the city I live, we pride ourselves on being "the sports capital of the world". Whether that is true or not, I think the cities investment in sport (and it goes for the rest of the country as well) has definitely paid off. We are passionate, it's part of our cultural fabric and the country is better off as a result.

If you're Australian (and probably Melbournian)... we have the advantage that we have so few metropolitan areas and such focused population. Not to mention profits from those sporting events feed back to the infrastructure. And we use those sporting events to actually bring people across the country and internationally.

We manage our sports economic tactics to benefit our cities, which... doesn't seem to be the case in the American examples.

But yeah, it can't be denied that Australia has very good examples of sport investment benefiting the city. That said, it helps when you have the ability to pull , in, say, Melbourne's case, a Grand Slam tournament, the Cricket World Cup, the Formula 1, and events or ongoing things like that. Most cities don't have a hope of anything like that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

We manage our sports economic tactics to benefit our cities, which... doesn't seem to be the case in the American examples.

Yeah, it's clearly apparant that things are done a lot differently in the US. I don't think it's an accident that we pulled all of those events to our city though, we worked very hard to accomplish that.

Granted, your point about so few cities is probably the kicker, there are hundreds of cities in the US. This could be slightly offset by the fact that our country is in butt-gently caress no where.

• Locked thread