Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
He was so good. The King of Burgers bit was phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

He was so good. The King of Burgers bit was phenomenal.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh he keeps his phone in his right pocket. loving sperglord.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

What's wrong with that :ohdear:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My keys go in my right pocket, because I use my right hand to put them in the ignition. And you don't want to scratch your phone with your keys.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
"No, not the sandwich, this seed, atop the breading."

That's pretty much the best line in that bit.

PittTheElder posted:

My keys go in my right pocket, because I use my right hand to put them in the ignition. And you don't want to scratch your phone with your keys.

Have you seen his car? It's essentially a motorised wheelchair with walls! I doubt it even has keys...

loving billionaires

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Yeah, that's why he is a sperglord

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I really don't think Laurie is really all that similar, but I'll agree that the writers haven't done that much to build her character so that we could better distinguish between the two.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

Pfft push button start is great

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

r0ck0 posted:

Actors playing the same part, written long before anyone was cast. How does that work?

You can't be this dense can you

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hand Row posted:

Pfft push button start is great

Both my cars have touch entry and push button start so I don't even need to take the fob out of my pocket, but I hate having two different fobs, and even carrying a fob at all. Also one car has a little button on the handle and the other is touch so that's annoying.

Wish I could replace that poo poo with my phone which I keep in my left pocket.

:goonsay:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PittTheElder posted:

You put the phone's screen against your leg and put the keys on the outside. I've never had this be a problem.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I just put my keys in my left pocket.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Let's post our everyday carry!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

Check out this prole who has to physically jam his car keys into his ignition like some sort of caveman.

Don't even get me started on how the doors to your car must work!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

You put the phone's screen against your leg and put the keys on the outside. I've never had this be a problem.
Downside: massive bulge from your phone that is in theory quite thin and in practice wrapped up in a gigantic protective sheet so as to save its backside from scratches.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Phone goes in the right pocket because you take it out far more often then you take out your keys.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Who the gently caress sits down in there car THEN pulls out their keys?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Who the gently caress sits down in there car THEN pulls out their keys?

Women with purses.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Women with purses.

How did these females unlock the door hmmm?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rougey posted:

Contracts get written 20 years ago when the company was small and the founders where unaware of the legalities, that line gets copied and pasted over and over in every contract hence.

The lawyers the company hires when it get's big overlook it, assuming that whoever did it before them did the research.

Assuming they even read their own contracts.

Eh, companies regularly put clauses in their contracts that are pretty dubious/unenforceable.

However, in the real world, there's usually also a clause saying 'if any particular clause of this contract is found illegal it is stricken but the rest of the contract stands' or something similar -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severability

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Arbiter found the contract so bad he overruled the severibility,

And of course Laurie was a bad part, they had to rewrite it on the fly due to Pete Gregory's death. She did a good job with a stressful sitch.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

InfiniteZero posted:

Don't even get me started on how the doors to your car must work!

Hey now let's not be doorist.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hand Row posted:

How did these females unlock the door hmmm?

And why are they driving??

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
From the tech bubble thread in YOSPOS, for those that think Silicon Valley is fiction:

Kobayashi posted:

There's a new app focused on solving hunger http://www.airdo.co

Progressive JPEG posted:

the sole dev guy looks sad

As a Millennial I posted:

definitely check their twitters

As a Millennial I posted:

the dev guy just isn't wacky

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's no loving way that is real... but it absolutely is, isn't it?

The show doesn't go nearly far enough. Check out these lame sensible business roles!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

mobby_6kl posted:

The show doesn't go nearly far enough. Check out these lame sensible business roles!

That's the standard copycat bootstrap template for startups (another reason SV is so drat on-point).

Here's a random startup generator:
http://tiffzhang.com/startup

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I like how startup founders said they would fire the whole PP staff except for Jared.

He's perfect cheery startup material once you overlook the small flaws.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Golden Bee posted:

The Arbiter found the contract so bad he overruled the severibility,

And of course Laurie was a bad part, they had to rewrite it on the fly due to Pete Gregory's death. She did a good job with a stressful sitch.

If she was in the first season you might have a point.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

If the joke was that she's literally like Peter Gregory and that there's a million "genius visionary recluse" people like Peter Gregory out there and it just boils down to luck then, you know, that'd be a joke.

But they both made her exactly the same person, only handled worse, and then sort of shuffled into the background which makes it more glaring when they bring her back out.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

I like how startup founders said they would fire the whole PP staff except for Jared.

He's perfect cheery startup material once you overlook the small flaws.

This is probably true. He's willing to sacrifice all his energy for the company regardless of its technological foundations. Jared is willing to run around on amphetamines asking about how to pivot "Pied Piper" into totally different businesses, where Dinesh and Gilfoyle ask a lot of questions and interview at other places when they're worried about intellectual purity.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
This is why I'd want Jared on my team. Goes the extra mile, even when it looks like all is lost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vfXoUNDYA

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Capntastic posted:

If the joke was that she's literally like Peter Gregory and that there's a million "genius visionary recluse" people like Peter Gregory out there and it just boils down to luck then, you know, that'd be a joke.
The joke is not For You, it is On Richard. One insane billionaire stressing him out dies, and the person replacing him stresses him out in exactly the same way.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

SLOSifl posted:

For those who don't work in the tech industry, I want to be super clear that this show is not a parody and is 100% exactly how it works in real life.
Still applies.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 9, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

adrenaline_junket posted:

This is why I'd want Jared on my team. Goes the extra mile, even when it looks like all is lost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vfXoUNDYA

Plus, he FUCKS!

SLOSifl posted:

Still applies.

I wasn't even joking, I seriously looked at it and couldn't tell if it was one of the randomly generated startups or an actual thing.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Capntastic posted:

But they both made her exactly the same person, only handled worse, and then sort of shuffled into the background which makes it more glaring when they bring her back out.

Laurie wasn't a great part of what was a great season, but I'm gonna give the writers a pass given that the dude loving died out of the blue, forcing to probably jettison a bunch of their plans for the show midway through the first season. They've proven that they understand the subject material, and they can certainly improve the character next season. It looks like Raviga is going to be much more important next season as they scale up anyways, giving them a good opportunity to make her more than a last minute Peter Gregory replacement.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

The actress is decent, so they should be able to make the character interesting. Just need to get her into different situations. Maybe something social like the party in S1E1.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

From the tech bubble thread in YOSPOS, for those that think Silicon Valley is fiction:

I'd bet almost anything that their developer/CTO has the following qualifications: once built a website for mom's cupcake bakery.

We get calls from these :laffo: startups all the time, and the "tech guy" is usually the absolute loving worst, because he knows absolutely nothing but can't lose face in front of the rest of the team.

Also by the time they call, they've usually blown through a preposterous amount of money on an over the top office, parties, and travel, and lost at least a year before they realize no one has written a single line of code.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 9, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jake Armitage posted:

I'd bet almost anything that their developer/CTO has the following qualifications: once built a website for mom's cupcake bakery.

We get calls from these :laffo: startups all the time, and the "tech guy" is usually the absolute loving worst, because he knows absolutely nothing but can't lose face in front of the rest of the team.

Also by the time they call, they've usually blown through a preposterous amount of money on an over the top office, parties, and travel, and lost at least a year before they realize no one has written a single line of code.
Who is "we"? Are you like, the Startup Fixers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Who is "we"? Are you like, the Startup Fixers?

"This week, on Gordon Ramsay's Startup Nightmares..."

Would watch that show.

• Locked thread