Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

so yeah grrm writing and editing these wildcard books no sane person would ever read is something i've long since come to terms with, but does he seriously need to respond to every single comment on his not-a-blog? what an absolute fucker.

if nobody bought these pieces of poo poo, he would stop making them.

grrms fans are their own worst enemy.

the best thing to do would be to boycott all things grrm, then he would get off his rear end once he realizes everyone has forgotten about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

kcroy posted:

read the comments. they are infuriating. and always make me want to punch him.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/432364.html

Interesting that he is still developing no fewer than three new shows for HBO/Cinemax as part of a two-year deal he signed with the network back in early 2013.

So ... he's late on those too.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I think he's had Varys and LF's motivations planned out. Yeah he's loving up getting us to there but I think so far everything makes sense, is in character, and is building to the same thing.

I think we can take deathbed confessions at their word, and that he cares most about creating a stable realm. He probably resolved to do this after learning about all the idiotic ways the nobles want to destroy themselves for dumb pride or immediate short term gain.

Argon may not even be his first perfect philosopher-king. Maybe he had a hand in Rhaegar deciding to become a knight.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I think Littlefinger is motivated by a desire for revenge against the dumb jock nobles that pushed him around, the babes that wouldn't go out with him, and his lovely poor upbringing.

He's done this through sexual blackmail, figuratively/vicariously loving over and cucking all of his childhood enemies. He wants everyone beneath his boot/dick, but he'd probably settle for just crushing all of them even if he has to go down doing it.

It's all about power and revenge to him. He's really the rapiest rape of them all in this rape book.

(Lemon cake)

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

visceril posted:

Argon may not even be his first perfect philosopher-king. Maybe he had a hand in Rhaegar deciding to become a knight.

Varys first came into Aerys's employ because Aerys didn't trust Tywin, Queen Rhaella, or Rhaegar, who was a grown-rear end man at that point. It was a direct response to what happened during the Defiance of Duskendale, and Rhaegar was either in his majority when it happened or very close to it. He'd already been knighted, and apparently everyone was just like "poo poo, go ahead and kill King Crazy, we have Prince Gary Stu waiting in the wings here". Barristan had to go and gently caress it up.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

Varys first came into Aerys's employ because Aerys didn't trust Tywin, Queen Rhaella, or Rhaegar, who was a grown-rear end man at that point. It was a direct response to what happened during the Defiance of Duskendale, and Rhaegar was either in his majority when it happened or very close to it. He'd already been knighted, and apparently everyone was just like "poo poo, go ahead and kill King Crazy, we have Prince Gary Stu waiting in the wings here". Barristan had to go and gently caress it up.

Oh well never mind then.

Kind of makes you wonder what Varys was doing at the time--either to prevent or start Robert's Rebellion. Or for that matter what he was doing between his neutering and his being hired by Aerys

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

HELLO LADIES posted:

I thought he only went crazy after being kidnapped, or it made him much worse?

I remember Preston made a whole hilariously stupid video where he speculated Aerys was molested in captivity

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

I remember Preston made a whole hilariously stupid video where he speculated Aerys was molested in captivity

Lol. Bran wargs into Duskendale to try and stop all of this from happening, but his adolescent mind is overwhelmed by Aerys' beautiful Targ features and firm buttocks and he bends him over while shouting "Hodor" with each thrust until he jizzes him into lunacy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

visceril posted:

Lol. Bran wargs into Duskendale to try and stop all of this from happening, but his adolescent mind is overwhelmed by Aerys' beautiful Targ features and firm buttocks and he bends him over while shouting "Hodor" with each thrust until he jizzes him into lunacy

Bran's only sex scene is gonna be him as Jaime with Cersei at Winterfell, where he pushes himself out of the tower because of love.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I somehow doubt Varys is interested in Dany on the throne, when he tells Tyrion about how he was castrated he comes off as having a genuine hate of all things magical. I mean sure he could have been lying, but it didn't really sound like he'd be down to be ruled by a crazy queen that has a bunch of magic dragons.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Ague Proof posted:

Definitely made him worse and was probably his breaking point, but no, he'd been at least somewhat nuts before then. All the creepy poo poo with Tywin's wife that led to the stupid A+J=T theories happened before Duskendale, for example, and he'd apparently been a moody bipolar rear end in a top hat for years before that, who made Tywin run the kingdom for months on end while he had depressive episodes or whatever. The memory Stannis talks about, where he mistook Tywin for Aerys because Aerys was going through a Howard Hughes period, happened way before Duskendale. Stannis said he was four, so 270AC, and Duskendale was 277.

Actually, if I'm remembering the world book right, it goes back at least to when Aerys was a teenager, or maybe young twenties.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

visceril posted:

Explains his hatred of Bran Stark

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Barristan tells Dany that Aerys has always been a little crazy but in the beginning was a decent king that just had some oddities. He implies it got worse and worse over time and the Duskendale poo poo made him go right overboard with the paranoia

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A Typical Goon posted:

Barristan tells Dany that Aerys has always been a little crazy but in the beginning was a decent king that just had some oddities. He implies it got worse and worse over time and the Duskendale poo poo made him go right overboard with the paranoia

Is that foreshadowing for Dany going nuts? i mean she started out sweet as anything and then she got hard and now she's burning people, in the show at least.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Where the hell did I get Varys' backstory from? I swear at some point he explains his adventures with Illyrio as they learn various street urchin cons and pickpocketing and poo poo.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Where the hell did I get Varys' backstory from? I swear at some point he explains his adventures with Illyrio as they learn various street urchin cons and pickpocketing and poo poo.

I think it's Illyrio who tells the story to Tyrion in Tyrion's first ADWD chapter.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think it's Illyrio who tells the story to Tyrion in Tyrion's first ADWD chapter.

I think it was when they were traveling on their way to the ship, yeah.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Varys tells his backstory when he tells tyrion in a clash of kings how he got cut, how he had to prostitute himself to survive out of spite.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Four Finger Wu posted:

http://www.ibtimes.com/author-george-rr-martin-addresses-reports-he-has-finished-winds-winter-1996443

I initially read this headline as "Author George RR Martin Reports That He Has Finished 'The Winds Of Winter'"

But no... it's actually reporting that he has addressed those reports. Newsworthy.

Related article is more interesting:
http://www.ibtimes.com/jon-snow-still-alive-new-photos-game-thrones-star-kit-harington-spark-rumors-1996066?rel=rel1

Unless Harington lives in a cave for the next year he's going to be constantly analyzed by people to gauge if Jon's dead for good or coming back or what. Though it'll be impossible to hide him if he shows up on set either way. :shrug:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If Jon Snow is actually dead that's pretty retarded and would only be because GRRM was pissed that everyone figured out about his parentage and that he isn't as subtle as he thought he was. I'm doing a series re-read and it seems pretty clear that his arc was leading towards him being an actual good not retarded leader, if he just randomly dies because he made a bad choice about a minor thing that's loving dumb.

It'd be kinda cool if R+L=J is true, and is revealed and he is actually dead and it didn't mean a thing the whole time. Another FU from GRRM to the readers

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jon's minor bad choice involved crowning himself the king of the wildlings while still serving as the Lord Commander of the night's watch and taking his army southward to intervene with matters he has vowed not to get involved with, this is also very much in direct violation of the spirit of the final (and most important) lines of the night's watch vow, they are supposed to be the horn that wakes the sleepers, the sword in the darkness and the shield that guards the realms of men, that is, protect humans, rally them to fight against the walkers and man the wall to fight against the darkness, abandoning the wall to fight against some douchebag lord and rescue some failass king is not 'minor'. Jon has earned his execution by his fellow brothers, they seem to have remembered their vows better than he did.

Besides, the whole thing about Azor Ahai is that he's supposed to be reborn 'amidst salt and smoke', Jon is 100% coming back.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Besides, the whole thing about Azor Ahai is that he's supposed to be reborn 'amidst salt and smoke', Jon is 100% coming back.

"Makes him sound like a ham."

Sorry, that's one of my favorite lines in all the books.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Who says that great line?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Who says that great line?

Renly, the one true king.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Spun Dog posted:

"Makes him sound like a ham."

Sorry, that's one of my favorite lines in all the books.

Wasn't that a show-only line?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

As opposed to what?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Typical Goon posted:

It'd be kinda cool if R+L=J is true, and is revealed and he is actually dead and it didn't mean a thing the whole time. Another FU from GRRM to the readers

I actually want this to be true. Jon's dead and gone forever, and once the ashes of the war have settled there's a scene of Maester Tarly getting a bundle of documents from someone in King's Landing and it simply outlines that Lyanna died in childbirth and Ned took the child back to Winterfell with him.

R+L=J gets confirmed and the only impact it has is that Sam realizes his dead best friend would've been royalty if Robert hadn't been such a stupid rear end in a top hat or if Ned had simply let Robert know his sister didn't actually like him and chose to run away rather than marry him.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Lycus posted:

I hope so I just read it and I don't remember it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

so yeah grrm writing and editing these wildcard books no sane person would ever read is something i've long since come to terms with, but does he seriously need to respond to every single comment on his not-a-blog? what an absolute fucker.

Compose the responses into a single compendium novel "The Sins of Winter" and sell it for big bucks. If the fat gently caress is gonna write somebody should profit.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

HBO should make the first episode of next season a clip show called the wit and wisdom of Tyrion Lanister.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lycus posted:

Almost positive it was in Clash of Kings when Renly and Stannis meet before their battle with Catelyn tagging along. Don't have the book in front of me to check though.

"Born amidst salt and smoke. Is he a ham?"

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'm re-reading Dance right now and I never noticed before (cause I barely paid attention to Dany's lovely chapters) but it's basically confirmed that the Prince that was promised will be either Jon or Dany. When Dany is considering marrying Hizdahr, Barristan tells her how Aerys ended up his wife, and it was because a Child of the forest foretold that the Prince would be born of Aerys' lineage, so Dany's grandfather ordered Aerys to marry his wife

It's gonna be so sweet when all these interesting little subplots are not brought up in the show and the next book never comes out

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Interesting that he is still developing no fewer than three new shows for HBO/Cinemax as part of a two-year deal he signed with the network back in early 2013.

So ... he's late on those too.

no surprises there, right? I think one of them is wildcards!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Spun Dog posted:

Almost positive it was in Clash of Kings when Renly and Stannis meet before their battle with Catelyn tagging along. Don't have the book in front of me to check though.

"Born amidst salt and smoke. Is he a ham?"

That replaced the peach scene.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Editing and writing are very different."

How would he know, he's not done either of those in a long time.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Aurain posted:

"Editing and writing are very different."

How would he know, he's not done either of those in a long time.

That's not true he made absolutely sure that only the best scenes were lovingly detailed in Wildcards

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jon's execution in the book made sense, because he broke his vows. Show Jon got killed because the Night's Watch is full of dicks, not because of any actual crime against their code. gently caress, even show Davos reinforces the notion that the Watch is a shield for mankind, which includes the Free Folk.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Show Davos was not having a good episode. :(

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Ague Proof posted:

That replaced the peach scene.

Yeah, my bad it was only from the show. Could have sworn it was there on the last read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jon's execution in the book made sense, because he broke his vows. Show Jon got killed because the Night's Watch is full of dicks, not because of any actual crime against their code. gently caress, even show Davos reinforces the notion that the Watch is a shield for mankind, which includes the Free Folk.

The conversation between Davos and Jon so perfectly set up the show doing a rough version of the letter scene to me, I thought it was weird that it didn't happen.