Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if this savage track played while i was installing gnome i would have lept from my chair in ecstacy. this is major ownage.. with some minor keys :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
operating systems today really are missing the full multimedia experience

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im listening to it again

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's very canyon.mid, good jerb suspicious dish

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

Thank you! The initial experience there I actually wrote while I was back at Red Hat. It was my first major project there before Wayland, and it's shipped in GNOME. I was shocked to see them actually using it in Endless.

One of the last touches I wanted to do was actually add a nice song to the experience so it doesn't feel like paperwork, but that got canned for silly reasons.

I had a demo of an initial experience song that my brother and I composed: http://funny.computer/cloud/Endless/EST/endless_party_b1.mp3

At some point, when I get the time, I'm going to to finish it and put it into the OS. I already wrote the code!

(there are more variations in that folder, along with some boot jingles)

I think you kind of over-extended yourself a bit with the rhythm and harmony weirdness but it's still a really good effort, i like.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

im the sick midi bassline

i already had my friend jack play a real bassline, so i didn't spend as much time cleaning and quantizing up the bass vst, but that isn't in the mix you heard.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

this is major ownage.. with some minor keys :grin:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the brian eno of linux

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm glad you guys like endless_party_b1.mp3

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm glad you guys like endless_party_b1.mp3

endless_bi_party.mp3 was better but this one is good too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is it intentional that endless party mp3 is four minutes and twenty seconds long?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
is red hat's satellite/spacewalk thing any good?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pram posted:

the brian eno of linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001

prefect posted:

god no

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

prefect posted:

is thing any good?
thing is always bad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
so how do I tell my Endless to disable tap-to-click?

in its Preferences app there aren't any options for the trackpad on the Microsoft All-In-One Media Keyboard that I'm using

also, is there any sort of integrated admin/developer guide, so I can see what I need to do to (say) build & install just Linux command-line stuff "the right way" for Endless? my inclination is normally to put each thing in its own directory under /opt but with the OSTree stuff I have no idea how this should be handled.

oh, it also doesn't seem to support ssh out of the box and there's no checkbox in Preferences for it, what's the right way for Endless to enable it? I assume it does Bonjour out of the box at least, or would I also have to put some config files in place or even install avahi for that to come up?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

i think i sort of work on this or at least consume it or something and i have no idea.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
imo any more than 0 system is too many systems and if you have so many systems that you need help versioning them the only solution is to upgrade to 0 systems

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

so how do I tell my Endless to disable tap-to-click?

in its Preferences app there aren't any options for the trackpad on the Microsoft All-In-One Media Keyboard that I'm using

Can you take a screenshot of the Mouse panel? I plugged in an Apple trackpad I had lying around and a Tap-to-Click option comes up here. It's likely the kernel doesn't recognize the touchpad device, which seems silly.

Filed an internal bug report about it though.

eschaton posted:

also, is there any sort of integrated admin/developer guide, so I can see what I need to do to (say) build & install just Linux command-line stuff "the right way" for Endless? my inclination is normally to put each thing in its own directory under /opt but with the OSTree stuff I have no idea how this should be handled.

For developers, we have a custom script, "eos-convert-system", which chops off the head of OSTree and turns it back into a Debian system, though the servers that it fetches from might be internal to our VPN.

Our current bundle system is really awful, but basically all the apps from the app store get put in /endless, which is a custom overlayfs thing. It's really bad.

We have a few "SDK / developer" projects in process, but basically, right now, we're not supporting third-party developers. xdg-app and xdg-app-based-development will be our primary "hardcore" SDK, but the short-term SDK we want to release is to have a simplified app builder that builds on top of our existing knowledge app platform. I can't speak about it too much, but this is a project I'm working on.

eschaton posted:

oh, it also doesn't seem to support ssh out of the box and there's no checkbox in Preferences for it, what's the right way for Endless to enable it? I assume it does Bonjour out of the box at least, or would I also have to put some config files in place or even install avahi for that to come up?

Avahi should just work out of the box. We do install an ssh server by default now, though I think that's in the 2.4 branch only. When we release 2.4 and you update to it, you should have a section called "Remote Login" in the Sharing panel of the Settings app.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pram posted:

god no

dammit :eng99:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can you take a screenshot of the Mouse panel? I plugged in an Apple trackpad I had lying around and a Tap-to-Click option comes up here. It's likely the kernel doesn't recognize the touchpad device, which seems silly.

Filed an internal bug report about it though.

here's the panel, it's p clearly just the mouse panel

here's the output of lsusb --verbose on my Endless, if there's something I need to do to get more detail just let me know

the Microsoft keyboard looks like it shows up as a trio of HI devices via its wireless dongle: boot-protocol keyboard, boot-protocol mouse, and unknown. I presume the "unknown" may be "trackpad qua trackpad" or something like that

quote:

We have a few "SDK / developer" projects in process, but basically, right now, we're not supporting third-party developers. xdg-app and xdg-app-based-development will be our primary "hardcore" SDK, but the short-term SDK we want to release is to have a simplified app builder that builds on top of our existing knowledge app platform. I can't speak about it too much, but this is a project I'm working on.

ah, OK, I wasn't expecting to really do "app" development, just to get basics like sbcl running by installing the stock binary and then building from source

I'll take a look at the OSTree docs and see if there's some way I can easily customize that to add a local /opt without breaking the Endless OS itself

is there some sort of "system-restore" procedure possible, like an image to put on a USB key to boot from?

quote:

Avahi should just work out of the box. We do install an ssh server by default now, though I think that's in the 2.4 branch only. When we release 2.4 and you update to it, you should have a section called "Remote Login" in the Sharing panel of the Settings app.

cool, looking forward to it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

is there some sort of "system-restore" procedure possible, like an image to put on a USB key to boot from?

If you PM me I can give you an image. That said, root is mounted ro, and if you really gently caress up badly, a reboot should solve it. As long as you don't touch anything in /sysroot/ostree (I think that's where it is?), you should be fine.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

basics like sbcl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

it's really, really bad. it is very, very obvious that it is derived from the red hat network codebase. it's obsessed with multitenancy stuff that practically no one needs, and handles the basics pretty poorly.

they've been saying they're going to replace satellite with a grand sweeping vision of configuration management and deployment and about six other things, but that poo poo is itself in permanent beta: http://www.katello.org/. it's puppet + foreman + pulp + some other stuff.

i wouldn't hold my breath for katello / new-satellite to be production-ready

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

what were you hoping to accomplish w/ satellite?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah. we (Red Hat) were going to replace it with Project Aeolus / Cloud Engine / Systems Engine, which was built as "CloudForms 1.0", but that got cancelled. We then bought a company called ManageIQ, which we rebranded into CloudForms 2.0, and then the open-source part as ManageIQ.

My understanding is that while Cloud Engine was cancelled, Systems Engine was folded back into the Satellite team and is still being built.

http://www.redhat.com/summit/2011/presentations/summit/whats_next/thursday/summit-2011.warner_sanders_t_1400_future_of_satellite-v5.pdf

That presentation is still mostly accurate.

Entitlement and Subscription Management is done through Candlepin.
Content and Repository Management is done through Pulp.
Provisioning is done through Foreman.
Combining the last two is Katello.

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.
Anyone else prefer the cygwin terminal to putty for remote linuxing on windows? It's the only good use I've found for that POS.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

Anyone else prefer the cygwin terminal to putty for remote linuxing on windows? It's the only good use I've found for that POS.

I do. I've been using it all the time, cygwin got a lot more stable in the last few years. it crashes hard only once per week now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cygwin, now thats a name i haven5 heard in a great many years. honestly surprised that its limped its way into this decade

pram
Jun 10, 2001
buy a mac

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.

pram posted:

buy a mac

rule 32 or whatever.

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

Symbolic Butt posted:

I do. I've been using it all the time, cygwin got a lot more stable in the last few years. it crashes hard only once per week now.

I have a headless vbox VM that starts at boot. I prefer to shell into that with the cygwin terminal vs using the cygwin utilities themselves.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I have a headless vbox VM that starts at boot. I prefer to shell into that with the cygwin terminal vs using the cygwin utilities themselves.

just run your virtualbox vm full screen, then you can have a linux desktop and not touch lovely windows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am now posting from kde 5

they added a cute kwin script to un-gently caress GTK applications and stop them from barfing client-side shadows on everything

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just run your virtualbox vm full screen, then you can have a linux desktop and not touch lovely windows

lol, using linux for a desktop.

I'm pretty platform agnostic. I use a fairly specific set of OSS that runs fine on Windows/Linux/OSX. I've run into very few cross platform problems with python, and I rarely touch C/C++ anymore. I don't have anything against the guts of windows. My dream OS would have a windows base so my games/propreitary software would run without hassle, a posix compliant shell environment, and KDE for the desktop environment. I want the worst of all worlds.

No one without autism cares about software freedom.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

No one without autism cares about software freedom.

you could not be more wrong

software freedom is sweeping the industry, destroying all in its wake

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
meanwhile, in gnome land, they decided to just quietly break theme engines one day

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=735211

quote:

As for oxygen-gtk in particular, I'm actually happy that it's stopped working because its codebase has been explicitly violating the contract for theming engines since its inception.

i broke your app AND i'm happy about it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

meanwhile, in gnome land, they decided to just quietly break theme engines one day

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=735211

i broke your app AND i'm happy about it

breaking gnome apps is the lord's work

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you could not be more wrong

software freedom is sweeping the industry, destroying all in its wake

Uh, yeah. Because the industry realized they could get free labor that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Uh, yeah. Because the industry realized they could get free labor that way.

no, commercial users still have to employ armies of software developers and systems administrators to develop, deploy, maintain open source software

they just don't have to provide larry ellison with a handsome profit on top of all those salaries