Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ak Gara posted:

On Nvidia GTX cards, what powers their HDMI Audio Out? Basically I'm looking for ALC1150 vs Nvidia's GPU Audio.

The Nvidia poo poo is basically just passing a digital signal along. If you are hooking up to a tv or home theater there is no reason not to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

mikemelbrooks posted:

Scan, ebuyer, and overclockers UK . you can pick up some good used cards from avforums and bit- tech.

Also don't underestimate amazon.co.uk they sometimes have decent prices, free delivery and free returns too.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Are NVIDIA game bundles a retailer-specific thing for 900-series cards?

I ordered a MSI 980 Ti Gaming from NCIX US and just realized that it doesn't have any mention of Arkham Knight the way that the product pages on Amazon or Newegg do.

It's the PC version of Arkham Knight so it's not a huge loss, but still.

e: I found this page which seems to list participating retailers, NCIX among them, so I guess I'll complain if I get the card and no game code.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I don't remember which site it was but someone listed the bundled Arkham Knight as one of the cons in their review :rimshot:

I'm dangerously close to buying a new GPU, if you want to leave your email in thread I wouldn't mind giving it to you if I end up getting it bundled (don't have PMs)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Botnit posted:

I don't remember which site it was but someone listed the bundled Arkham Knight as one of the cons in their review :rimshot:

I'm dangerously close to buying a new GPU, if you want to leave your email in thread I wouldn't mind giving it to you if I end up getting it bundled (don't have PMs)

If you're serious, I'll take it.

ironrosesa@gmail.com

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

veedubfreak posted:

This is why I buy EVGA whenever possible. Between submitting my RMA request last night at like 10:30 I already have my confirmation. Still annoying to have to RMA something this big though. First video card since my 6970 to go bad.

On the flip side, I sent in my video card at my expense, and it was supposed to be a straight refund. That was in early June and I'm still waiting. (I called them and they said there was a cheque in the mail...)

Their online customer support is super awesome and fast. I'm not so impressed with the rest so far though.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

If you're serious, I'll take it.

ironrosesa@gmail.com

I am serious but I'll have to go with him first, I'm also not 100% sure I'm ordering it and if I do I'm not sure it'll be one with it bundled in, but will let you two know if I do.

I'm currently asking in the parts thread what's considered the best 980 GTX Ti superclocked version if anyone knows, will probably be doing 4k gaming and little to no extra OC'ing on my end. The PC is about 6 feet away from me so noise isn't a big drawback unless it's jet engine level.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 9, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Botnit posted:

I am serious but I'll have to go with him first, I'm also not 100% sure I'm ordering it and if I do I'm not sure it'll be one with it bundled in, but will let you two know if I do.

Wow I totally misread your post and assumed you were offering it to the next person who posted in thread. My bad! Feel like a bit of an rear end now.

Uh, to give some general advice, EVGA has the best warranty support, MSI and Asus are the quietest, Gigabyte and MSI have better overclocking headroom afaik.

I also do recommend you overclock, the 900 series has incredible overclocking headroom to the point where you're leaving 10-15% of your potential performance on the table if you don't.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I was trying to think of a good metaphor but let's just say not overclocking maxwell is like...not overclocking Sandy bridge. 15-25% OC's just pushing a button or moving a slider.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I was trying to think of a good metaphor but let's just say not overclocking maxwell is like...not overclocking Sandy bridge. 15-25% OC's just pushing a button or moving a slider.

If a 2500K doesn't overclock by 45% from 3.3 to 4.8 I'd RMA it :v

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Okay, okay, I'll OC it modestly, didn't initially read into it how good it was OCing because it's going in an mITX case with air cooling, but The Goons have spoken :hfive:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ak Gara posted:

If a 2500K doesn't overclock by 45% from 3.3 to 4.8 I'd RMA it :v

Pretty sure most 2500Ks are well out of warranty by now, unless you bought one brand new from a certified retailer that still miraculously had them in stock.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure most 2500Ks are well out of warranty by now, unless you bought one brand new from a certified retailer that still miraculously had them in stock.

Yeah I meant when new. Nowadays I see CPU's have a hard time overclocking from 3.5 to 4Ghz but I'm guessing it's because due to finer tolerances in production techniques, they're already being ran close to their limits.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

Yeah I meant when new. Nowadays I see CPU's have a hard time overclocking from 3.5 to 4Ghz but I'm guessing it's because due to finer tolerances in production techniques, they're already being ran close to their limits.

I can't wait to see how much more poorly Skylake overclocks

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ak Gara posted:

:confused:
4.5-4.6ghz is still really easy and common to get though? You can buy 4ghz chips stock.
The latest Haswell 4790-K chips are 4ghz base with 4.4ghz turbo.Yea, you're not going to get a ton *more* over 4.4ghz, but uh.. that's still the same clock in the end as a 2500k. Most 2500Ks did not hit 4.8ghz trivially without extra volts, 4.6 was probably a lot more common. And we're still at the 4.6 range, but now with more IPC and less power usage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I have my 4770k set to 4.5ghz turbo, from 3.9 factory. From the way things look to me, it's that chips are getting more reliable, and thus getting higher factory clocks, as opposed to having to find a higher stable clock yourself :v:

Silicon is at the end of its lifespan though. We've been at 4.x GHz since P4 era now (with only a couple generations clocking to lower than 4GHz), and even intel is having huge issues squeezing performance/getting smaller processes out.

I'm more excited in what comes next. :3:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Truga posted:

Yeah, I have my 4770k set to 4.5ghz turbo, from 3.9 factory. From the way things look to me, it's that chips are getting more reliable, and thus getting higher factory clocks, as opposed to having to find a higher stable clock yourself :v:

Silicon is at the end of its lifespan though. We've been at 4.x GHz since P4 era now (with only a couple generations clocking to lower than 4GHz), and even intel is having huge issues squeezing performance/getting smaller processes out.

I'm more excited in what comes next. :3:

Like this?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's worth pointing out the sacrifices P4 made to clock like it did back then, chief among them being that it loving sucked.

Also, new AMD drivers dropped, looks like they already unified the drivers and have some performance boosts as well as expanding the compatibility lists for VSR and that fancy frame rate cap.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

:aaaaa:

That's cool as poo poo. IBM's always had great R&D labs, hopefully they're able to actually commercialize that process tech.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Last I read POWER8 was already faster than similar x86, so they may be on to something there.

Of course, unless windows runs on that this, it'll never be relevant for pcs, and thus for me :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Power8 is a great server chip for massively threaded stuff, but performance/watt wise they are still nowhere close to Intel. (I don't remember what process Power8 is fabbed on but it might still be 32nm? or 28?)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gwaihir posted:

Power8 is a great server chip for massively threaded stuff, but performance/watt wise they are still nowhere close to Intel. (I don't remember what process Power8 is fabbed on but it might still be 32nm? or 28?)
POWER8 is great for inefficient workloads, the basic idea is you can cram 8 slow threads onto a single fast core and keep it fully utilized, even as each individual thread stalls out constantly. On an Intel CPU your cores would be underutilized and performance would suck. On the other hand, on workloads from which a smart CPU can extract good per-thread efficiency, an Intel CPU will kick rear end.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Submit RMA at 10:30pm Sunday
Upload invoice and get approval Monday afternoon.
Card finally ships Wednesday at like 5pm my time.
Card is estimated to show up Monday.
FML

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I thought you were gonna link this :v:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

japtor posted:

The comments.

Allen posted:

If 10 GHz is the best that Intel can do by 2011, AMD or somebody else is going to eat their lunch.

:allears:

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 9, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

japtor posted:

Hahahahaha

Along with our flying cars.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Budgie posted:

Also don't underestimate amazon.co.uk they sometimes have decent prices, free delivery and free returns too.

Yeah even though they often don't have bundled stuff Amazon are a way better choice if anything goes bad with the card, the turn around on me RMAing to Scan was 3 weeks, whilst Amazon sent a new card out after a single conversation on livechat.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

japtor posted:

Those comments are the best thing I have ever read.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Has anyone gotten AMD's VSR to work with a 2560x1440 monitor? I can get it to work on my 1920x1200 one but the option is nowhere to be found on the one I actually want to make prettier.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Works fine on my HPZR2740w but honestly its hard for me to see a difference so I usually leave it off.

I'm using older 15.4 beta drivers though too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Updated from 14.12 to latest and now my fans go into idle mode. They've never done that before.

Well done, I guess, AMD. Actually added a feature in a driver update that I suppose would be really cool if I didn't care about noise from my computer.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

WTFBEES posted:

Has anyone gotten AMD's VSR to work with a 2560x1440 monitor? I can get it to work on my 1920x1200 one but the option is nowhere to be found on the one I actually want to make prettier.

Which card do you have? AFAIK its only r 290 or above?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mikemelbrooks posted:

Which card do you have? AFAIK its only r 290 or above?

Most certainly not as of Catalyst 15.7, this is on my 7950 Boost (although because it's basically a 280, it always installs the 280 driver) with a 1920×1200 monitor:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 10, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

There are still varying resolution limits on the cards that support VSR. IIRC some of the older cards can't do above 1440p downscaled.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

BurritoJustice posted:

There are still varying resolution limits on the cards that support VSR. IIRC some of the older cards can't do above 1440p downscaled.

THIS^^^^^^

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/07/10/sapphire-r9-fury-tri-x/3

Is this news?

e: Almost as fast as Fury X in most cases, if this is priced lower than non-Ti 980 I might consider it.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 10, 2015

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Everywhere I have seen showed Fury prices between $549 and $579.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Can we mess with vcore on the Fury cards yet? The main problem I see with those Fury results is that once you OC a 980 it should blow right past the Fury at 1080p and 1440p at least. If the Fury was $450 it would be a great choice, but as is it feels like you should still just get a 970 or go all the way up to a 980 Ti.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Can we mess with vcore on the Fury cards yet? The main problem I see with those Fury results is that once you OC a 980 it should blow right past the Fury at 1080p and 1440p at least. If the Fury was $450 it would be a great choice, but as is it feels like you should still just get a 970 or go all the way up to a 980 Ti.

I don't know, I think there's room inbetween. If it can get into a position where's it's priced a little lower than a 980, they're on to a winner.
Although it's still consuming over 100W more at peak than a 980. (Yet it's still lower than the 390X which performs worse, so we're going in the right direction!)

AnandTech's Fury review just hit

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Allegedly the next version of Sapphire trixxx tweak utility will support vcore manipulation. Hopefully it drops soon, so we can see where we're actually at with all this poo poo.