Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Guildencrantz posted:

It's shameful to admit this, but I've never really had a successful HRE game. I've decided to go for easy mode and pick Brandenburg->Prussia, as a way to relax after the grueling ordeal that was Blobzantium, but I kinda have analysis paralysis on what early idea sets to pick.

I'm thinking of a diplo set first, to do something with my dip points, but can't decide which one - diplo or influence? Same goes for the second military set, although I'm leaning towards Offensive. Third will probably be Economic, since you start so poor, but I'm open to suggestions. Advice?

Park your focus on military at the outset, hire only a military advisor at first (you can't afford more), pick a military idea first, likely defensive or offensive.

Econ second, to get more cash flow and the development discount. Use your excess diplomatic points to develop your provinces.

Your foreign policy needs to be based on allying Poland, who will take down the TO and allow you to steal their provinces; and defending against Bohemia, as the gold mine makes them a monster in this patch.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Honestly I think going influence first is a better idea since it'll help you expand faster and you aren't wasting any important monarch points since diplo is useless to you until later in the game. If you go that route then keep your boost parked on admin until practically tech 10 at which point you switch over to military focus and fill out your first military idea.

You should also be as aggressive as possible in taking out all of Pommerania and getting Danzig ASAP. I go the opposite route again and ally Bohemia and Austria and try to kill Poland as soon as it gets tied up in something since you can expand there without pissing off all of the HRE.

aeglus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 9, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Wiz posted:

No, a tile does not have to be a complete landmass. A tile can be an archipelago of hundreds of islands.

I think you misunderstood; the question could be rephrased as 'can a landmass consist of multiple tiles, or does each tile need to have only sea borders?' The way you mentioned a 6x6 'supercontinent' being a single tile makes it sound like the answer is the latter.

PrinceRandom posted:

I was gonna try a very first ironman game but the box is greyed out ? I'm not using any mods ( not any I can find updated anyways)?

If you mouse over the box, IIRC it'll tell you what the issue is. Generally the problem for me is that it's failed to connect to steam; quitting and restarting generally fixes it.

(with the mac client, the ritual goes: try to launch it, it crashes. try to launch it, it starts up but can't connect to steam. try to launch it, it works [until it crashes mid-game]. those three things in that order, very consistent.)

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Guildencrantz posted:

It's shameful to admit this, but I've never really had a successful HRE game. I've decided to go for easy mode and pick Brandenburg->Prussia, as a way to relax after the grueling ordeal that was Blobzantium, but I kinda have analysis paralysis on what early idea sets to pick.

I'm thinking of a diplo set first, to do something with my dip points, but can't decide which one - diplo or influence? Same goes for the second military set, although I'm leaning towards Offensive. Third will probably be Economic, since you start so poor, but I'm open to suggestions. Advice?

I'm pretty sure forming Prussia takes you out of the HRE but I might be crazy???

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So is the way to expand within the HRE to vassalise neighbours and annex them that way? Is straight-up conquering provinces from people too much AE?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Sharzak posted:

I'm pretty sure forming Prussia takes you out of the HRE but I might be crazy???

Not if you're an elector=Brandenburg, or now also not if you're the Teutons. So no...

Gort posted:

So is the way to expand within the HRE to vassalise neighbours and annex them that way? Is straight-up conquering provinces from people too much AE?

You can take take a fair amount of provinces before a coalition is formed, and Brandenburg is suited for military conquest. I try to expand outside the HRE mostly, just because i'm going to inherit every member as the HRE eventually anyway.

Edit: Oh, that was just a general question...

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 9, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

Usually yeah. It's better to slowly vassal feed one or two relatively small nations, especially if they used to be big but got pwned by coalitions, so they have lots of cores to return.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Guildencrantz posted:

I wouldn't take Econ or Diplo until mid-game, development starts to become a lot more attractive once you can build Universities and start getting some of the discounts from tech. Influence is still more valuable than Diplo early on, especially as someone who's going to be conquering in the HRE you really want that AE reduction. Plus, integrating vassals is fully twice as expensive as before Common Sense so the integration discount is very nice.

Military ideas, keep in mind you get up to +1 base AT from maintaining forts and you almost certainly want Defensive and Quality at some point anyway which will put you close to constant max 100 AT. Note that fighting in the League Wars gives you +0.5 yearly AT for 100 years. I would pick Defensive first probably, then Quality, Offensive, Quantity as desired.

IMO best options for
ADM - Administrative, Economic. Innovative is pretty bad overall, has a really strong +20% infantry combat ability policy but mehhh.
DIP - Influence, Diplomatic. Trade isn't bad but you probably don't want to buy three diplomatic idea groups.
MIL - Defensive, Offensive, Quality, Quantity all good. Aristocratic is alright but pretty underwhelming right now.

If I were going to play tryhard Prussia, I'd probably go Influence, Admin, Defensive. Then Econ, Diplomatic, Quality, Offensive, Quantity in whatever order.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gort posted:

Larry Parrish posted:

Usually yeah. It's better to slowly vassal feed one or two relatively small nations, especially if they used to be big but got pwned by coalitions, so they have lots of cores to return.

There's a -25 to all HRE members for diplo-annexing an HRE member, so it's better to diploannex one big one (that you fed) than a few smaller ones. Plus, the Unlawful Territory modifier really damages any land you directly acquire for a decade or so, so it's not like you lose anything by having your vassal hold that revolt-prone useless land while that timer ticks down.

aeglus posted:

Honestly I think going influence first is a better idea since it'll help you expand faster and you aren't wasting any important monarch points since diplo is useless to you until later in the game. If you go that route then keep your boost parked on admin until practically tech 10 at which point you switch over to military focus and fill out your first military idea.

You should also be as aggressive as possible in taking out all of Pommerania and getting Danzig ASAP. I go the opposite route again and ally Bohemia and Austria and try to kill Poland as soon as it gets tied up in something since you can expand there without pissing off all of the HRE.

I usually went Influence first, grabbed Neumark and Danzig early then force-vassalized Pommerania. Now that grabbing land you can't core isn't a thing, I'd probably try to grab the connecting territory from Pommerania and hold off on vassalization a bit. But I haven't done Brandenburg since 1.10/1.11. I did a Saxony => Prussia game though and that's just as fun as Brandenburg => Prussia.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Just posted a dev diary about how we're remaking Random New World.

Less exciting then fully random, but still pretty exciting.

I'm definitely already mulling over fun tiles to make. I'm going to have to start getting some heightmaps together. Any chance you've locked down the dimensions of a single tile (500x500 or whatever) and could tell us? Also, maybe base sea level color on the heightmap? I really hope you guys get tile rotation in, that will help a lot in making things look more dynamic.

Can tiles have 'odd' shapes, like L shaped tiles? Or are they (reasonably) locked to rectangular dimensions?

Also, I assume each tile will come with a predefined province map, so will province colors be dynamically reassigned on generation? Like if tile 16 in Mod X has a province colored 121,215,98 and tile 9 in Mod Y also has a province with 121,215,98 they'll still be compatible, right?

It might be fun to make some Mega tiles of the current North/south America with ~changes~, like working NW passage, no Panama isthmus etc, california is an island, different sea levels, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah would be cool to have random Australia & area too.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

There's a -25 to all HRE members for diplo-annexing an HRE member, so it's better to diploannex one big one (that you fed) than a few smaller ones. Plus, the Unlawful Territory modifier really damages any land you directly acquire for a decade or so, so it's not like you lose anything by having your vassal hold that revolt-prone useless land while that timer ticks down.

I usually went Influence first, grabbed Neumark and Danzig early then force-vassalized Pommerania. Now that grabbing land you can't core isn't a thing, I'd probably try to grab the connecting territory from Pommerania and hold off on vassalization a bit. But I haven't done Brandenburg since 1.10/1.11. I did a Saxony => Prussia game though and that's just as fun as Brandenburg => Prussia.

Remember that having an alliance and good relations with the Emperor will dissuade them from demanding unlawful territory on you, so if you're going to be conquering much it's helpful to be (or be friends with) the Emperor. Humanist would be good for the +33% relations over time, but the rest of the group doesn't appeal that much to me. Since you'll likely be grabbing fairly large chunks of territory and force-vassalizing, having the flat AE reductions works better IMO.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Remember that having an alliance and good relations with the Emperor will dissuade them from demanding unlawful territory on you, so if you're going to be conquering much it's helpful to be (or be friends with) the Emperor. Humanist would be good for the +33% relations over time, but the rest of the group doesn't appeal that much to me. Since you'll likely be grabbing fairly large chunks of territory and force-vassalizing, having the flat AE reductions works better IMO.

Right, but that's not really super-feasible in my experience if (a) you're going balls-to-the-wall Prussia and/or (b) you're not the same religion as the Emperor. Yeah, you can win the League War, but that takes a while after the Reformation to (a) fire and (b) be in an optimal place to actually kick off the war.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah would be cool to have random Australia & area too.

Ideally it would be nice to have something like:

Random New World
Random New World + (includes Australia/Indonesia/Indian Ocean)
Random Globe (randomizes everything)

EDIT:
I'd LIKE a system where only what Europe can see is locked down and even Africa/Asia can be randomized (like the old Machivelli the Prince game), but I suppose that's not really very feasible without a system to 'bolt' landmasses onto stub North Africa/West Asia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

Ideally it would be nice to have something like:

Random New World
Random New World + (includes Australia/Indonesia/Indian Ocean)
Random Globe (randomizes everything)
This is what I hope we get one day :unsmith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Oh, I just saw this:

wiz posted:

- Ability to set parameters for your new world before generation, such as province and native density.

Which implies tiles are just height maps and the provinces are created randomly on generation, which is pretty cool.

EDIT:

Also, this:

quote:

- More variety in what you can find besides just world layout, for example there might be a small chance that the natives you find are actually more technologically advanced than you are.

Is the MOST BEST THING EVER.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh I wonder if making these tiles is why they added the console command to refresh the heightmap and stuff.

PleasingFungus posted:

I think you misunderstood; the question could be rephrased as 'can a landmass consist of multiple tiles, or does each tile need to have only sea borders?' The way you mentioned a 6x6 'supercontinent' being a single tile makes it sound like the answer is the latter.

he answers in the Paradox thread:

quote:

Right now they're always surrounded by ocean, but we want to make it so they can have land borders. We'll see if there's time for it. Again though, they can be any size all the way up to the entire 8x9.

e:

Sorced posted:

The most important part

So good.

I thought you can't use Random New World in (achievement-available) Ironman games though can you? I guess this does mean the host could add some extra things for multiplayer games though. e2: wait that doesn't make sense does it, you'd still have to download the thing too wouldn't you?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 9, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yet Another Update for the 1.13 Beta:

quote:

###################
# Gamebalance
###################

# War
- Reduced AE from forcing personal unions.
- It is once again always possible to transfer occupations to warleader, but AI might not do so unless they have good reason to.
- Forts with a depleted garrison are now slightly easier to siege.

###################
# AI
###################

# Diplomacy
- Added proper acceptance logic for Demand Unlawful Territory, instead of AI always saying no.

###################
# Interface
###################

# Alerts
- Replaced alert for being able to hire another 'free' military leader with one for having too many military leaders.
- Added an alert for having uncored provinces that you are currently able to core.
- Added an alert for having negative stability.
- Added an alert for being able to call allies into your current war

# Tooltips
- Outliner now shows a more useful tooltip for rebel factions.

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

- Fixed sorting in development macrobuilder to be correct.
:siren:- Fixed the 'Development of Amsterdam' modifier to no longer disappear on monthly update.:siren:
- Fixed an endless loop caused by a country somehow having itself as a colonial parent.
- Fixed a CTD related to invalidated wars.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is a very strange vacation Paradox is taking :confused:
I loving love Paradox

code:
- Forts with a depleted garrison are now slightly easier to siege.
:woop:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wiz posted:

Yes, they include heightmap, and yes, both heightmap and rivers affect the surrounding terrain.
Maybe rivers should be dynamically generated based on latitude, heightmap, prevailing winds, etc., hmm? :colbert:

(Sounds good.)

Koramei posted:

he answers in the Paradox thread:
Hopefully they'll make it work.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hopefully they'll make it work.

Matching land tiles seems like a tricky problem. Amazing if they get it working well, though!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Based on the fact that Paradox's data points to people liking to play custom nations I hope they do make it possible to do a random whole world, which I imagine wouldnt be too much of a challenge if they are doing this tile system. I am hoping it would be a worthwhile investment for them to make things like rivers and terrain dynamic so even if you end up with a tile you have seen before, this time it is a desert because of a mountainous tile next-door, or jungly because it is on the rainy side of the mountains.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

This is a very strange vacation Paradox is taking :confused:
I loving love Paradox

Wiz said his vacation starts next week. I imagine he's just spent the last two weeks in the office by himself, in his shorts, with his feet up on the desk getting that lovely feeling of uninterrupted productivity.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Koramei posted:

I thought you can't use Random New World in (achievement-available) Ironman games though can you?

I haven't tried it in 1.13 but in 1.12 you absolutely could. Give it a shot at the main menu, it should still say achievement-eligible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jackson Taus posted:

Wiz said his vacation starts next week. I imagine he's just spent the last two weeks in the office by himself, in his shorts, with his feet up on the desk getting that lovely feeling of uninterrupted productivity.
Ahh, I missed that part. Yeah I bet that is enjoyable. Or he is working from home sitting around in his underwear drinking beer while coding.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I don't like the change to switch the free leader alert to a too many leaders button. I found that alert really useful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

I don't like the change to switch the free leader alert to a too many leaders button. I found that alert really useful.

Well it kinda makes sense for the instances where you have your max number of leaders but your PP ticks below 25 and you're paying for one without noticing. That happens to me fairly often

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It makes tons of sense, people forget they're over the cap all the drat time, whereas since when has anyone forgotten to hire a general? Whether an army has a general or not is like the first thing I check whenever I'm sending it to engage someone.

Prop Wash posted:

I haven't tried it in 1.13 but in 1.12 you absolutely could. Give it a shot at the main menu, it should still say achievement-eligible.

Oh wow really? With how careful they are about achievements that seems oddly exploitable, but I guess most people won't feel like rerolling the random new world 30 times for the perfect run.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

I wonder if the patchnote means that if you do not have enough leaders you will get a notification and that one gets replaced if you have too many?

Koramei posted:

It makes tons of sense, people forget they're over the cap all the drat time, whereas since when has anyone forgotten to hire a general? Whether an army has a general or not is like the first thing I check whenever I'm sending it to engage someone.
I think he is just saying that there is no reason to remove the one that tells you that you can hire another, especially because you can just dismiss/disable it if you find it superfluous.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

On the other hand, that might be the change I'm most excited about.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Bort Bortles posted:

I wonder if the patchnote means that if you do not have enough leaders you will get a notification and that one gets replaced if you have too many?

I think he is just saying that there is no reason to remove the one that tells you that you can hire another, especially because you can just dismiss/disable it if you find it superfluous.

Nope just checked in game, the original alert is gone.

You're right, it does seem weird to get rid of it. I think the new alert is like 100 times more useful, but even so.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Jackson Taus posted:

I did a Saxony => Prussia game though and that's just as fun as Brandenburg => Prussia.

I liked doing The Hansa to Prussia. It was pretty powerful being a Republic with insanely broken military ideas other than it booting me from the HRE as soon as I formed it. That was unexpected at the time.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

PrinceRandom posted:

I won't get any penalty for holding Rome once I form Italy right?

Also I'm trying to refine my merc strat. You don't want any as a standing force right? I'm generally really aggressive in my wars and it seems like it'd take too long to raise a merc force substantial enough to save manpower in fights

I'm pretty sure you do continue to get a penalty.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

I won't get any penalty for holding Rome once I form Italy right?

Also I'm trying to refine my merc strat. You don't want any as a standing force right? I'm generally really aggressive in my wars and it seems like it'd take too long to raise a merc force substantial enough to save manpower in fights

No, you don't get the penalty. The triggered modifier requires you to be "Not Italy"

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

quote:

- Reduced AE from forcing personal unions.

Well this is good news. It was a bit much, considering that I got coalitioned into the ground in my Austria game when I completed the Bohemia PU mission.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I saw this mentioned at some point recently, but didn't see if anything was posted about it. Playing as The Papal State and I decided to stay in the empire after 1490...and now I have a "submission to the empire" malus that is pretty poo poo. +3 revolt risk, -1 prestige a year, and something else. Is there any way to get rid of this? Like...if I leave the HRE now or something?

Edit: Ok, just noticed it's under the triggered modifiers tab. Can get out of it if you're the emperor, you're italy, or you're not member of the HRE. Lame...lame. Wish it was different for someone like the papal state who can't become emperor.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 9, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

aeglus posted:

I dunno if its related to the beta patch but Bohemia always rivalled me when I restarted a dozen times as Brandenburg.

As for idea on how to start a Brandenburg game, I liked to rival Mecklenburg and vassalise them immediately after taking neumark, then I would take the mission to conquer stolp and the province next to it. I would personally take them to allow me to fab claims on Danzig and give the rest of the provinces to Mecklenburg.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you don't mind being slightly abusive, restart until Austria rivals Bohemia, then do the same and improve relations with Austria and they will eventually ally you so you can conquer HRE provinces without getting penalties.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Playing France->Rev. France game. I have an army about 350,000 men strong (I am over force limit, but gently caress that, planning on fielding 50-100,000 further men, I can afford it), with client states (currently only Republican Spain in Catalonia, Aragon and central Spain and Republican Italy in Milan) adding a further 150,000 to this. Now I want to expand into the Netherlands and Alsace-Lorraine against Austria, however Austria and much of Europe is in a coalition against me.

If I declare war on Austria's ally Russia, that won't drag in the coalition against me automatically will it?

A war against Russia will also involve my allies Bohemia (who is the emperor, I plan to betray them and dissolve the HRE eventually) and Cologne adding a further 150,000 men or so. Russia has about 150,000 men, as does Austria, Russia is also allied to the Teutonic order who rule all of Poland and much of former Lithuania and who have about 100,000 men. I have military tech 30 everyone else is still at 29 (but may soon reach 30 as well). This should go well. Onwards, to Moscow!

e: Too bad Napoleon died a few years prior to this.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
What should be my second idea group as Poland? So far I've gotten Humanist, and for my third idea group I'm thinking Quality, but I'm not sure what to put in between. Influence maybe?

• Locked thread