Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
In my neck of the woods toy stores tend to carry board games, but they don't really get into hobby board games except for ones that have started to become really mainstream like Catan. OTOH Barnes & Noble has a surprisingly good selection of board games, and displays them pretty prominently. Their selection of RPGs tends to be D&D, plus some Pathfinder and Fantasy Flight stuff, and RPGs tend to hang out over by the graphic novels, the only exceptions being boxed stuff like the new Gamma World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

jadarx posted:

At my B&N, it's always been like that. 1 shelf with top half being video game guides and bottom half being DnD + other rpgs (usually FFG).
Yeah, the B&N near me did the same thing a few weeks ago. It's all D&D, PF, Star Wars, and a few 40K RPG books.

I wouldn't mind so much if there was a decent game store anywhere around here.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Here we have a single big bookstore and it too has one shelf of D&D/Pathfinder and another shelf that is mixed between FFG/White Wolf stuff and computer game strategy guides. By far the biggest thing on those shelves are the Pathfinder card game box sets.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

My local B&N had a respectable RPG selection until recently, but it was also pretty stagnant. D&D and Pathfinder each had most of a shelf, then there was an eclectic bunch of Fantasy Flight 40k, TOR, historical minis wargame manuals, Mutants & Masterminds, random WoD and Exalted stuff, and some other random poo poo. But you would see nearly the same collection every time you went over there, next to the manga corner, even if you only went once every few months. At some point this summer, they cleared out most of that stuff. Now there's half a shelf of mostly D&D and PF, the rest of that stand sharing part of the 1.5 cases of video game guides.

It's still a bigger, more robust selection than the local game nerd store has had for quite a while. For a long time, there's been a pretty impressive board game section in the middle of the B&N, too. So the local game store really only seems to have play space, Magic singles, Warhammer 40k and comics going for it, barely.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 10, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
This may be grognardy of me, but having those card games mixed in with ones that have actual miniatures and traditional RPG sets just irritates me. Card games in general just strike me as lazy on the part of the manufacturer and just generally depressing to be around. They're decks of card stock, why are they in big grandiose boxes that look like a high-end board game when they have more in common with the foil packs and playing card decks in the impulse buy aisle at a department store checkout?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

An Angry Bug posted:

This may be grognardy of me, but having those card games mixed in with ones that have actual miniatures and traditional RPG sets just irritates me. Card games in general just strike me as lazy on the part of the manufacturer and just generally depressing to be around. They're decks of card stock, why are they in big grandiose boxes that look like a high-end board game when they have more in common with the foil packs and playing card decks in the impulse buy aisle at a department store checkout?

So you can store future expansion packs within the box. LCGs aren't an impulse buy, really.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, the box for Sentinels of the Multiverse can hold the base game and two expansions, and between that and the Vengance box I can hold all the expansions and single-pack decks.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
But there are absurd numbers of card boxes/holders/deck protectors available. Half of one of my LGSes is taken up by twelve hundred different types of boxes to put Magic cards into, and apparently that's somehow making them money. Why are these pieces of cardboard so much more popular? If you have a deck of cards it's still just card stock that was printed up in the industrial equivalent of a Kinko's. You didn't paint it, you didn't come up with a character, you didn't choose a model to represent anything, you just got a piece of paper that's identical to the ones everyone else has. What's appealing about that?

Sure there's deck building and other sorts of strategy, but other types of games have strategy and so much more. Where's the personal connection, the story, the creativity? I try to play card games and end up just feeling stupid and irrelevant. I build and paint a model for a game and I feel like I've accomplished something. Someone plays D&D and they've created a character with a story and personal meaning. In contrast something like Magic feels almost belittling. You're just a person choosing cards, who can only do what the cards say and isn't even given the ability to create a coherent story in the process. RPG night is something I enjoy watching. Seeing the owners playing Magic every day just makes me feel sad.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I, too, am furious that the entire world doesn't share my tastes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Why is this bound folio of paper much more popular?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh please. It's rules lawyering without the underlying plot. It's technicalities without the substance.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It's a pretty fun game that's easy to get into and collect

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh please. It's rules lawyering without the underlying plot. It's technicalities without the substance.

Maybe people think the card game is fun as you know an actual game. Shocker I know.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It is, and there's nothing wrong the quality of the cards or the art or anything, I just find it baffling that there's a Pathfinder Card Game right next to a Pathfinder RPG set for the same price, and the card game sells so much more, and sad that the model gaming section of the store has had the same stock sitting on the shelves for so long in comparison. They're playing Magic there literally every time I stop by to get some paint or a model kit, and I never see people there playing any of the games like X-Wing or Pathfinder or anything else. Warmachine up and died there before I even got into the hobby, but Magic and the rest do so well. Is $40 for an X-Wing starter set really such a high barrier to entry? :smith:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

An Angry Bug posted:

It is, and there's nothing wrong the quality of the cards or the art or anything, I just find it baffling that there's a Pathfinder Card Game right next to a Pathfinder RPG set for the same price, and the card game sells so much more, and sad that the model gaming section of the store has had the same stock sitting on the shelves for so long in comparison. They're playing Magic there literally every time I stop by to get some paint or a model kit, and I never see people there playing any of the games like X-Wing or Pathfinder or anything else. Warmachine up and died there before I even got into the hobby, but Magic and the rest do so well. Is $40 for an X-Wing starter set really such a high barrier to entry? :smith:

Some people engage games as games and the deckbuilding and optimizing is the fun part of magic and card games. Sometimes they do drafts and you have to do it on the fly!

I mostly play minis games because they actually let you choose your force with points systems and are built around that, not because of the narratives or whatever. That's the dirty little secret of a game like 40k- that little optimization challenge probably helped it get huge but they really shy away from it as a company and it's probably why they're dying. That all being said, minis games are super expensive, especially in the beginning, and especially if you want to change things up and use that customization.

The PF card game probably sells more because people know they can play it without getting a group of five nerds coordinated together and finding a willing DM who can make it fun.

Think of Magic as the thing that lets your favorite game store stock miniatures and RPGs.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 10, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Pathfinder card game actually does work best if you have a coordinated group who are willing to commit to a campaign. The box is the size it is because it's built to hold half a dozen expansion boxes, which you will buy to get the full campaign, and they want you to keep the boxes because not all the cards from them get put into the main decks right away, and you can remove cards from the main decks and put them back in their boxes. It also has storage for a bunch of player decks. It could be maybe 3/4 of the size of they didn't store the full expansion boxes though.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Wait, so it's an RPG in card format? Never mind then, that makes a lot more sense now. Thought it was more like Pokemon or something like that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why do so many people watch TV, when there are local theaters where they could go and get involved in an improv group or sign up to be in a play? Everywhere, community theater groups stagnate, while millions upon millions of people just sit there passively watching television programs! It makes no sense!

Why are so many people just watching sports, when they could be playing sports?!?

I don't understand why someone would want to eat food, when they could be cooking food. Eating something you prepared yourself is so much more satisfying than just eating whatever is served to you. Restraunts make even less sense, why would you pay so much extra just to have some other person give you a super-limited list of possible food to eat, and meanwhile, all around you there's other passive people just eating whatever that place has available. Every night! I go by these restaurants and every night there's all these sheeple in there just eating whatever.

And yet a simple trip to the grocery store and a dedication of some time and effort to learn how to cook and you could literally be having anything you want. Team up with someone else and you can cook a delicious and rewarding meal together!

Whyyyyy do people ride the bus, when they could be driving a car?

I don't understand how people can own pets, when they could be putting on fursuits and pretending to be pets!

What is going on with this crazy world???

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

An Angry Bug posted:

I HAVE STRONG OPINIONS ON THINGS I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh are we doing that thing where we make up titles for the thread, or the subforum, or the forum?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

An Angry Bug posted:

A lot of people just like having fun for an hour at a time without putting in a shitload of time creating stuff.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

An Angry Bug posted:

Wait, so it's an RPG in card format? Never mind then, that makes a lot more sense now. Thought it was more like Pokemon or something like that.
It basically is an attempt to give you the RPG campaign/adventure path experience as a DM-less co-op game.

Players start with a basic character deck. You play scenarios, and you can improve your deck and level up your character as you go. Each expansion adds a new set of scenarios based on the adventure path, some loot, NPCs, monsters and encounters that get added into the various decks you draw from during a session.

It has issues, but it's pretty cool. Obsidian are doing a tablet port of it that will probably be less hassle to play, and definitely cheaper.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

An Angry Bug posted:

Some CCGs or LCGs are actually pretty good narrative generators; Doomtown, for example.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Magic, your most common card game, is much faster to set up and play than wargames or RPGs. The buyin to get playable is fairly cheap, even if to get good you are going to end up with a cost resembling a drug habit. The art is incredibly good, and if you care about the story they've got that ready for you to read and study, with materials that go far beyond the cards if you care to bone up on it, but it's not required to play the game, which is exceptionally well-designed and constantly being rebalanced and improved on for Standard.

So...yeah, it's just cardboard, but it's cardboard used to play a game a lot of people really enjoy. The same is true of poo poo like Yu-Gi-Oh, though with less story, I understand, and more byzantine rarity rules.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In all seriousness, card games aren't RPGs. Most of the people who play those card games aren't doing so instead of playing RPGs. Some do both.

They are nerdgames, though, so they get sold in a lot of nerdgame places, although you can also buy Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon at Target, Toys R Us, etc. too.

The idea that card games are somehow inferior or supplanting tabletop RPGs is silly. Did RPGs supplant family boardgames? Monopoly and Life and even RISK had been around long before D&D was invented. Do you think Parker Brothers was all mad about D&D being sold in stores where people could buy Clue?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Clue really could use some more modern, inclusive iconics.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

Clue really could use some more modern, inclusive iconics.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Wow, they really do all look like characters who are hatching a sinister plot against a young Michael Caine.

Clue's sop to modernism is Col. Mustard taking off his safari hat.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

An Angry Bug posted:

My understanding is that card games (and to a lesser extent board games in general) have bigger boxes than they strictly speaking need because they tend to sell more copies for a higher price that way, even if the game could fit into a simple tuck box. RPGs have it worse than that because they tend to get shelved with just the spine showing unless the retailer is giving them more floor space than they really justify with current sales figures.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Guilty Spork posted:

My understanding is that card games (and to a lesser extent board games in general) have bigger boxes than they strictly speaking need because they tend to sell more copies for a higher price that way, even if the game could fit into a simple tuck box.

Yup. It's not just card games, board games in general try to monopolize shelf space since, like, if your game is "just" two decks of cards and a handful of tokens in a tiny box how do you expect uninformed people to see it and think it's a good value compared to the giant box next to it? Some games are getting away from this and it's great news for consumer shelves and backpacks the world over, but it's a slow progress and a lot of times you get stuff like the "well duh people are just gonna buy three more expansions so we NEED the box to be big"

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

But there are absurd numbers of card boxes/holders/deck protectors available. Half of one of my LGSes is taken up by twelve hundred different types of boxes to put Magic cards into, and apparently that's somehow making them money. Why are these pieces of cardboard so much more popular? If you have a deck of cards it's still just card stock that was printed up in the industrial equivalent of a Kinko's. You didn't paint it, you didn't come up with a character, you didn't choose a model to represent anything, you just got a piece of paper that's identical to the ones everyone else has. What's appealing about that?

Sure there's deck building and other sorts of strategy, but other types of games have strategy and so much more. Where's the personal connection, the story, the creativity? I try to play card games and end up just feeling stupid and irrelevant. I build and paint a model for a game and I feel like I've accomplished something. Someone plays D&D and they've created a character with a story and personal meaning. In contrast something like Magic feels almost belittling. You're just a person choosing cards, who can only do what the cards say and isn't even given the ability to create a coherent story in the process. RPG night is something I enjoy watching. Seeing the owners playing Magic every day just makes me feel sad.

Not everyone wants the "so much more." Even people who do want the "so much more" don't want it all the time. Having a specialized game to scratch a particular itch isn't particularly weird or depressing, and it's often very time efficient. Especially when you compare them to the time sinks that are full RPGs, where hours are lost to figuring out inane details that no one really cares about. But the GM isn't familiar enough with the rule set to judge if they can just excise all of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also like I said, plenty of people do both.

"Why do people like card games" is kind of a derail anyway. It's a patently stupid question that probably doesn't deserve so much attention.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Then let's change the topic!

Is Wil Wheaton's Web Series "Titansgrave" The Perfect RPG Ambassador?

I know a lot of people around here aren't Wheaton fans or like the AGE system, but the article does raise two good points: first off, there are Wheaton fans who don't play RPGs who might get started because of the series (which is a good thing), but also that people who start playing RPGs because of this game wouldn't be starting with D&D, which has traditionally been the entry point into the hobby.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know a lot of people around here aren't Wheaton fans or like the AGE system, but the article does raise two good points: first off, there are Wheaton fans who don't play RPGs who might get started because of the series (which is a good thing), but also that people who start playing RPGs because of this game wouldn't be starting with D&D, which has traditionally been the entry point into the hobby.

I've been watching the Titansgrave series and it seems perfectly fine so far. They've got a pretty slick setup over there and the editing is well-done. Wheaton must be doing something right because someone I've never heard mention RPGs before asked me about Fiasco after watching the Tabletop episode of it, and recently played a game with some friends, which went pretty well apparently.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

Yup. It's not just card games, board games in general try to monopolize shelf space since, like, if your game is "just" two decks of cards and a handful of tokens in a tiny box how do you expect uninformed people to see it and think it's a good value compared to the giant box next to it? Some games are getting away from this and it's great news for consumer shelves and backpacks the world over, but it's a slow progress and a lot of times you get stuff like the "well duh people are just gonna buy three more expansions so we NEED the box to be big"

I'm not gonna lie, I do like it when a game box has room to stick expansion material in it. But more often than not you get a big box that somehow still winds up without enough room and so it's the worst of both worlds.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The whole package of art/music/professional voiceover with young, attractive professional actors playing the game is pretty good for ambassadorship, yeah. I guess it also helps that AGE still has dexterity and strength checks, too.

On the other hand, ugh, AGE, ugh, boring fantasy races and ugh, Wil Wheaton's face. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I realize this is just anecdotal, but I've found that people who start gaming with something other than D&D tend to be more open to trying new systems. Something about D&D/PF seems to just lock people into that game (probably a sunk cost fallacy).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

On the other hand, ugh, AGE, ugh, boring fantasy races and ugh, Wil Wheaton's face. :v:

If it helps, Wheaton gets eaten by a shark in the first five minutes of Sharknado 2 :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I realize this is just anecdotal, but I've found that people who start gaming with something other than D&D tend to be more open to trying new systems. Something about D&D/PF seems to just lock people into that game (probably a sunk cost fallacy).

It's an anecdote pretty much everyone I know also reports, so I'm pretty sure it's not just you. The problem is that AGE is still too close to D&D for comfort, really. It'd be better starting people off on Monsterhearts or Apocalypse World (or Dungeon World, if you want to show RPGs that look like what non-RPG-players think RPGs should look like).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's an anecdote pretty much everyone I know also reports, so I'm pretty sure it's not just you. The problem is that AGE is still too close to D&D for comfort, really. It'd be better starting people off on Monsterhearts or Apocalypse World (or Dungeon World, if you want to show RPGs that look like what non-RPG-players think RPGs should look like).

I don't think it would, actually. This is "earn your fun"-type nonsense.

• Locked thread